• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

FlashyG

Maple Leafs 2 @ Red Wings 3

Rate this topic

What an embarrassing season. Heads should roll.

We need goals. That's probably what it comes down to.

Best put a defensemen with 3 goals in 90 games up as a forward instead then. Tootoo has a better goals per game ratio than that and is actually a forward. I personally think this is Babs starting to creak under the pressure a little bit, with a bit of a fallout with Tootoo thrown into the mix.

Feel so bad for Toots. Why the hell did we even sign him in the first place?

If it was about goals I assume they'd call up Callahan since he's second on the Griffs in goals, rather than convert a defenseman to forward (all put ensuring he won't score). Babs likely wants Smith for his perceived forechecking ability and "heavyness", which will yield exactly zero goals, make our defense weaker, and take a chance away from a kid who's worked his tail off for an opportunity to play a game with the big club.

I think you're reaching because you hate Smith.

I don't like him as a defenseman. If he were a few years older and wiser and more mature, maybe. But, right now, I'd like to see what he can bring to the bottom six - which is why I've been calling for it all season long. He has good offensive instincts. He's an excellent skater. He likes to hit, isn't afraid to get his nose dirty. He's bigger than most of our forwards. He's been a weak link on the back end, a guy you know every opposing coach is telling his bench to exploit. And, finally, all forwards are morons (I played defense and forward, so I'm allowed to say this), so he's less likely to look like a fool as a forward.

I'm not sold on Callahan. I think having Glendening, Ferraro, Emmerton, and Callahan is too much (i.e. too little). Maybe Callahan should've been called up instead of Ferraro, but whatever. Coin flip.

I think you're reaching because you hate Smith.

I don't like him as a defenseman. If he were a few years older and wiser and more mature, maybe. But, right now, I'd like to see what he can bring to the bottom six - which is why I've been calling for it all season long. He has good offensive instincts. He's an excellent skater. He likes to hit, isn't afraid to get his nose dirty. He's bigger than most of our forwards. He's been a weak link on the back end, a guy you know every opposing coach is telling his bench to exploit. And, finally, all forwards are morons (I played defense and forward, so I'm allowed to say this), so he's less likely to look like a fool as a forward.

I'm not sold on Callahan. I think having Glendening, Ferraro, Emmerton, and Callahan is too much (i.e. too little). Maybe Callahan should've been called up instead of Ferraro, but whatever. Coin flip.

Smith is a better defenseman than Kindl, so our defense is now worse. Any forward is better than Smith, ya know, cuz he hasn't played forward since he was like 14 according to reports. You don't have to be sold on Callahan, but to think that he's not a better option than a converted defenseman who hasn't played forward since he's hit puberty is nuts.

I also don't hate Smith. You'll notice that every time I talk about him I say "he'll get better, but he's not good yet". I legitimately believe that. I do, however, hate how everybody bends over backward to make excuses for the guy rather than just saying "he sucks...right now".

Edited by kipwinger

I agree with you that we need to score more, and keep the opposition off the board as much as possible, but maybe - just maybe at this point in the season Tootoo might bring some energy, and jump that this team lacks.

I think energy and jump is good, but if he's only playing five minutes, because he's a liability...

So we have an Original 6 matchup tonight and the front page on tsn is loaded with Roy and Montreal *lol*

If Babcock is really trying Smith at the forward position we'll have a problem, because the defense will be even worse.

not playing Tootoo when you face Orr, McLaren and Brodie is very risky not that he would have had a chance against either one, but at least provide some energy.

I am thinking our top line has a big night tonight... Alfie and Franzen especially. Alfie has put together a couple strong games and him playing with actual decent players should help... not to mention Alfie loves to play against the Leafs.

I am expecting a tight game, but I see the Wings coming out on top.

Malik says that Ray Ferraro is at the Joe in anticipation of Landon possibly going tonight...hell may as well let him play! But this is Babcock we are talking about, the same guy who knew The Millers were going to be in Buffalo because they've never watched their sons play against each other, yet Babdick made Drew a healthy scratch...prick.

If smith goes out and makes a fool of himself on the wing, he won't be there too long.

Babs will juggle bodies around.

That's a valid thought. Maybe he is doing this just in case he decides he needs another dman, and then converts Smith back to D?