• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

FireCaptain

% chance of making the playoffs

Rate this topic

I'll try and update this daily with the latest projections from Sports Club Stats.

http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHL/Eastern/Atlantic/Detroit.html

Looking ahead:

Friday's (3/28/14) chance: 46.4%.

What we need tonight (all %ages assume regulation win/loss) (red is status with undesired outcome):

Philly win (TOR loss) - +2.1% (-2.2)

Pittsburg win (CLB loss) - +2.6% (-2.1)

Chicago win (OTT loss) - +0.1% (-0.2)

Calgary win (NYR loss) - +0.2% (-0.1)

Edited by FireCaptain

I'll try and update this daily with the latest projections from Sports Club Stats.

http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHL/Eastern/Atlantic/Detroit.html

Today's (3/18/14) chance: 35.2%

What we need tonight (all %ages assume regulation win/loss):

Wings win - +8.3%

Boston win (NJD loss) - +1.4%

Ottawa win (NYR) - +1.6%

Chicago win (PHI) - +1.3%

Columbus win (CAR) - +1.5%

Anahein win (WAS) - +0.7%

Colorado win (MTL) - +0.6%

The sad thing is aside from us winning all of those things are probable and none will happen.

Subwager:

Wings win:

Tears of joy - 80%

Tears of sadness - 15%

Undecided - 5%

Wings lose:

Tears of anger - 90%

Tears of "told you we should have just sold everything at the deadline and tanked" - 10%

% chance of BoS ugly crying over hockey: 100%

(+\- 79%)

Edited by FireCaptain

Exactly what I was thinking.

*fingers crossed

The magic record seems to be 7-4-4 to have a better than 50% chance (of making the playoffs) this year.

It jumps to over 75% if we can just squeak out another win and be 8-4-3.

I'm always checking up on that site. I'm surprised at how easily a team's % can change though. roughly +15% brings us to 50% chance of making playoffs if we win tonight.

I'm always checking up on that site. I'm surprised at how easily a team's % can change though. roughly +15% brings us to 50% chance of making playoffs if we win tonight.

It makes sense though with where they currently sit in the standings. They could move within 1 point of the last wild card after tonight, with games in hand I believe....so 50/50 would make sense.

If they lose in regulation tonight and the Rangers win...they'd be 5 points out and chances would start looking very slim.

Well statistics are just that, the fact is this:

the team is no longer controlling it's own faith so they need to play their best hockey AND hope that other teams are struggling. Will it happen? I don't think so but till they aren't mathematically out there's always a chance.

Saved for posterity.

3/18:

Today's (3/18/14) chance: 35.2%

What we need tonight (all %ages assume regulation win/loss):

Wings win - +8.3%

Boston win (NJD loss) - +1.4%

Ottawa win (NYR) - +1.6%

Chicago win (PHI) - +1.3%

Columbus win (CAR) - +1.5%

Anahein win (WAS) - +0.7%

Colorado win (MTL) - +0.6%

Columbus took a hit, too. I read somewhere that the Wings actually have the best odds right now to secure a spot out of others on the outside.

I think both wild cards are in play now and the Wings have games in hand on everyone exceot Columbus. A lot hinges on if we can win the next game or two to at least make us the benchmark.

Columbus took a hit, too. I read somewhere that the Wings actually have the best odds right now to secure a spot out of others on the outside.

I think both wild cards are in play now and the Wings have games in hand on everyone exceot Columbus. A lot hinges on if we can win the next game or two to at least make us the benchmark.

Don't worry, soon the rest of the team will be injured the way things are going.

Don't worry, soon the rest of the team will be injured the way things are going.

they called me up for the game tomorrow... :scared:

Seriously, statistics don't mean everything, in this case, I believe anything could happen - including the Wings getting into the playoffs by a point or even a couple. I won't give up until the last possible second of the last game, whenever that is.

This season is just killing me with the injuries and the 3rd period meltdowns. I haven't missed a game in over 5 years but I'm going to have to miss next week's games due to having to attend a shotgun wedding in Vegas :) (anyone know of a good hockey bar in Vegas??)

If the kids can get us into the playoffs and the majority of players on IR are ready to go for the first round, then watch out!

Crap.... somebody has to put a little bit of optimism in this thread.

I'm nothing but optimistic! I started this thread just to keep everyone, that chooses to view it, up to date on the current odds.

I'm pretty sure the Wings will squeak in and then - who knows what can happen!

This season is just killing me with the injuries and the 3rd period meltdowns. I haven't missed a game in over 5 years but I'm going to have to miss next week's games due to having to attend a shotgun wedding in Vegas :) (anyone know of a good hockey bar in Vegas??)

If the kids can get us into the playoffs and the majority of players on IR are ready to go for the first round, then watch out!

Crap.... somebody has to put a little bit of optimism in this thread.

I'm nothing but optimistic! I started this thread just to keep everyone, that chooses to view it, up to date on the current odds.

I'm pretty sure the Wings will squeak in and then - who knows what can happen!

Nothing wrong with being optimistic. I got put in charge of planning a bachelors party that is going to start out with watching the Wings/Leafs game ( starting at 4:00P M Vegas time and the groom is an Avs fan). I'm just going to have to find a hockey friendly bar in Vegas to start things off.

The Hangover 4 might come out earlier than you think!