• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
MabusIncarnate

3/20 GDT - Penguins 4 at Red Wings 5 (OT)

Rate this topic

I agree Babcock should win the Jack Adams if the Wings make the playoffs, but the sad thing is the NHL is so inconsistent with handing out the coaching award. Remember his 1st 4 seasons here when Babs led the Wings to 50 plus wins and eventually the Cup? He didn't win it it once because the saying was that he was "handed a stacked team." Yet, last year, Joel Quinville won it with his Blackhawks because he led them to such a successful season, despite the fact that he too was handed a stacked team to coach. Add to that, a couple years ago Dan Byslma won the Jack Adams for getting the Penguins into the playoffs despite all their injuries, as did Paul Mcclean last year (deserved it). Yet, Babcock is not even being considered at this rate yet, which I find ridiculous.

Anyways, I so badly want to get into the playoffs and get Pav and Hank back because I just think we will become a very hard team to beat with having our team healthy and all the experience/ momentum we will have gained. On a side note, the pens must be very worried about playing us in the playoffs... they must be thinking something like "omg if they beat us like this what can they do when they have datsyuk, zetterberg, weiss, helm, abdelkator?"

Lets keep the steam rolling and win at least one against the Wild this weekend and hopefully the Leafs lose to the Habs

Sadly the Jack Adams has turned into the 'give it to the coach with the most improved team from the previous season' award

Guest Playmaker

To an extent I agree with you, in the sense that I REALLY WANT Howard to stand on his head. It would be super nice if he did. But there's no substitute for quality play in front of the goalie. Look at Ryan Miller. The guy's a stud, a veteran, a guy that can steal games for you, etc. etc. etc. Except he wasn't stealing games for Buffalo, he was getting murdered. You could say the same things about him as we currently do about Howard. Then, all of a sudden, he goes and plays on a real team with real hockey players and he's a superstar again. And it's not just that he's benefiting from St. Louis' system, because he's playing better than Halak or Elliot did with the same team.

When we talk about goalies "stealing games" it's easy to think that top flight goalies can play behind HORRIBLE defenses and win games all by their lonesome. That rarely happens. Usually when a goalie steals a game it's because either two very good teams, or two very bad teams are playing and the goalie ends up being the difference. When it's a bad vs. a good team the goalie rarely overcomes that.

Ryan Miller became a "stud" goalie because he did steal games for a really subpar team for a lot of years. I think the only difference now is that he's older and isn't able to do it as much. I don't think Buffalo was giving up a ton of goals, they just weren't scoring many. Goaltending is also as much about when you give up goals as it is how many. Howard has the tendency to let those weak ones in just when the Wings need him to make a big save late in the period or right after they score. No, it's not always his fault and yes our defense is weak, and missing two of the best defensive forwards in the game doesn't help either. Most every goalie makes a few good saves every game.

I'm not saying Jimmy has to have a shut out every game, but there's got to be some games down the stretch where we say, wow, we should not have won that game, Howard stole that one for us. There haven't been many like that this year.

I'm not saying Jimmy has to have a shut out every game, but there's got to be some games down the stretch where we say, wow, we should not have won that game, Howard stole that one for us. There haven't been many like that this year.

You mean like when Jimmy made a breakaway save in OT in a game we were out shot 43 to 30?

Guest Playmaker

Every goalie makes saves. Goalies actually have the advantage on breakaways, penalty shots and shoot outs. It doesn't mean he hasn't let in a lot of weak goals this year. Kyle Quincey made a game saving play as well, does that mean he's an elite defenseman?

http://www.reddit.com/r/DetroitRedWings/comments/2109qw/can_we_all_just_take_a_moment_to_appreciate_the/

Seriously: Luke F****** Glendening. He shut down Sidney Crosby. He was a beast on the PK. He generated offense and was a major factor in Bertuzzi's goal. He threw his weight around. He agitated like a seasoned superpest and drew two big penalties, one of which - the fallen stick one - was a thing of beauty. (Made it seem like he'd intended to retrieve the stick before Neal pushed it away. Sold it.)

We beat the Pens in '08 largely on the strength of our depth. Last night reminded me a bit of that series in this regard. Is Glendening the next/new Helm?

http://www.reddit.com/r/DetroitRedWings/comments/2109qw/can_we_all_just_take_a_moment_to_appreciate_the/

Seriously: Luke F****** Glendening. He shut down Sidney Crosby. He was a beast on the PK. He generated offense and was a major factor in Bertuzzi's goal. He threw his weight around. He agitated like a seasoned superpest and drew two big penalties, one of which - the fallen stick one - was a thing of beauty. (Made it seem like he'd intended to retrieve the stick before Neal pushed it away. Sold it.)

We beat the Pens in '08 largely on the strength of our depth. Last night reminded me a bit of that series in this regard. Is Glendening the next/new Helm?

I love glens style of play, but helms WAYYY faster, and believe it or not has much better hands.

Also.

when helm was younger he was more physical, glendennings more aggressive than physical.

If that makes sense.

Edit.

I absolutely LOVE the way he plays.

He's an awesome fourth line/shutdown center.

Edited by jimmyemeryhunter

I love glens style of play, but helms WAYYY faster, and believe it or not has much better hands.

Also.

when helm was younger he was more physical, glendennings more aggressive than physical.

If that makes sense.

Edit.

I absolutely LOVE the way he plays.

He's an awesome fourth line/shutdown center.

Well, I mean, they certainly aren't exactly alike. But it's the same basic idea.

He reminds me more of Maltby tbh. But awesome nonetheless. I don't think I give a s*** if he ever scores :lol:

Glendening and Miller have some sick ass chemistry. They definitely need to be 2/3's of our 4th line when healthy. It has been a while since we've had a bottom 6 line that could completely shut down some of the best players in the game. It is wonderful, as when the Wings are at home, it allows Babs to set the Goose loose.