• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest L3T5G0W1NG5

Around The League - Eastern Conference Playoff Race

Rate this topic

I agree, but we can still only control the games that we play. I just think it makes more sense to aim higher when cheering for other teams to win or lose. I was rooting hard for the Leafs last night but I'm not too disappointed, I was just happy it ended in regulation. I can definitely see us looking back at that game at the end of the season when we finish ahead of the Leafs (probably missing the playoffs) and one point behind the Habs in a wild card spot instead of one of those three top division seeds...

I don't get why so many people were going for the Habs last night?.. So short sighted in my opinion, I'd prefer to look at the bigger picture.

With the Habs winning in regulation it put them six points ahead of us and the Leafs just one point ahead of us with two games in hand on both. So, yes it made it much easier to pass one team but we could potential pass both teams and lock up a top three spot in the division.

If the Leafs had won in regulation it would have put them three points ahead of us and the Habs four points ahead of us with two games in hand on both. Both teams would be within reach, we would just have to continue playing well, which I believe we will.

Even if we pass Toronto we are still in a wild card spot, I would much prefer be in a fight for one of those guaranteed top three spots. Just my opinion....

The bottom line is that the Habs winning increases the Wings chances of the playoffs, that's the most important thing, getting in the top 3 has been a long shot for a while now

I understand that but I still disagree with that way of thinking and still wish the Leafs had won last night. I don't care about "the odds". Bottom line, with Montreal winning last night, it gives us a lesser chance in getting a top three in the division and that is what I am aiming for and what the Red Wings should be aiming for.

Let's Go Wings!

So with Washington playing themselves into it it will become a dogfight till the end. Every bubble team could go on a hot streak or cold streak and play themselves out of it. But man playing Boston would not be something I'll be looking forward too no matter who is getting that 8 place.

Much rather play Boston than Pittsburgh, but at this point I just want in

I don't get why so many people were going for the Habs last night?.. So short sighted in my opinion, I'd prefer to look at the bigger picture.

With the Habs winning in regulation it put them six points ahead of us and the Leafs just one point ahead of us with two games in hand on both. So, yes it made it much easier to pass one team but we could potential pass both teams and lock up a top three spot in the division.

If the Leafs had won in regulation it would have put them three points ahead of us and the Habs four points ahead of us with two games in hand on both. Both teams would be within reach, we would just have to continue playing well, which I believe we will.

Even if we pass Toronto we are still in a wild card spot, I would much prefer be in a fight for one of those guaranteed top three spots. Just my opinion....

Hmm I see your point but don't agree. The Leafs are ultimately our best chance of getting in right now as stands because frankly, they've got the entire world of pressure on their shoulders and a goalie who can't hack it. They are vulnerable and at risk of falling out of a spot completely. Thus, the more they lose, the more the pressure mounts, and the worse everything becomes for them. A win right now in any of their games essentially stops the bleeding, and thus, the longer they keep haemorrhaging for, the better for our chances to get in.

We've got our own game remaining vs the Habs and still games in hand so we can take care of them that way. At least if the Leafs keep sliding we've got a better chance to make it in.

Edited by wings4thecup06

If we had a healthy team I would've wanted Toronto to beat Montreal last night but with the current state of affairs I am very unsure of our team and very happy if we can sneak into the final wild card spot.

Agreed. Statistics and stuff aside, it makes the most sense for us to make playoffs, whatever position. That means as long as we're in 8th, we need teams behind us to lose. It'd be nice if those ahead of us lost, too, but the teams behind us HAVE to lose so that we don't have to win out or end up missing out by one point because of a hot team.

Thank you Islanders! Now if New Jersey wins today and the Wings can keep our win streak going, we will be in a very good position. Then we play Columbus on Tuesday... if we beat them Tuesday in regulation that will put us 5 points up on them with 10 games to go after that (2 are against Buffalo and one against the Canes). I really like the Red Wings chances going forward. BUt most importantly, we won't have to worry as long as the Red Wings continue to take care of their own business.

Guest Playmaker

Still have to worry about Washington and the teams behind us, too. I agree, that I don't care what place we're in or having any unrealistic expectations. I just want in, anything above 8th and not having to face the Bruins is icing on the cake.

Not so big games tonight but would definitely be useful if the Rangers, Flyers and Canadiens all lost.

Tuesday is obviously where the action is but main thing is we have to get 2 points in Columbus.

With the way the Leafs are going I don't see them beating the Blues, while Kings/Capitals is a toss up really.

Thoughts?

Not so big games tonight but would definitely be useful if the Rangers, Flyers and Canadiens all lost.

Tuesday is obviously where the action is but main thing is we have to get 2 points in Columbus.

With the way the Leafs are going I don't see them beating the Blues, while Kings/Capitals is a toss up really.

Thoughts?

Beating the jackets in regulation would be HUGE, it would give us a bit of separation, Philly ny and montreal all losing would just be that much sweeter. The wings could potentially move up in the rankings even more if they can put a decent amount of W's on the board in these last 11

A regulation win over Columbus tuesday would really help start to separate us from them and the lower teams. This is going to be a huge week Columbus, Montreal, Toronto, Tampa. We could be inching towards 2nd in the division with a strong week, and be on the outside looking in with a bad week. Lets see what this team is made of.

Much rather play Boston than Pittsburgh, but at this point I just want in

I have lived through two SCF with my now wife (at that time Fiancee) with us playing Pitt. We barely survived Thursday, unless the trip to the Cup Finals were on the line I would prefer to not play Pitt.

On a random side note, we were seated next to Bert's wife on Thursday and she is about the sweetest woman I have ever met. Also got exceptionally into the game and was high fiving me with every score.

I have lived through two SCF with my now wife (at that time Fiancee) with us playing Pitt. We barely survived Thursday, unless the trip to the Cup Finals were on the line I would prefer to not play Pitt.

On a random side note, we were seated next to Bert's wife on Thursday and she is about the sweetest woman I have ever met. Also got exceptionally into the game and was high fiving me with every score.

I hate picking poison but if we're healthy I don't see why Pittsburgh is so scary. We know we can shut Crosby down with Z. We have the depth to keep scoring even with Datsyuk and Z focusing on shutting down Malkin and Crosby. Their defense is iffy (as is ours), their goalies flaky and they melt down in the playoffs without the excuses we've had the past few years.

I'm not really too scared about any Eastern team over 7 games, as long as we're healthy. But again, I hate to get cocky and start dismissing teams but Pittsburgh wouldn't be a bad matchup.

Thoughts?

Ya Tuesday is big for us but so is Thursdays game .... We need boston to win tonight! If we beat Columbus tomorrow after we get habs Thursday and can get closer to catching them up and maybe even to if they lose a few games In a row

Rangers and flyers are 2 pts ahead of us as well

Rangers habs lightning flyers need to hopefully all lose tonight

I hate picking poison but if we're healthy I don't see why Pittsburgh is so scary. We know we can shut Crosby down with Z. We have the depth to keep scoring even with Datsyuk and Z focusing on shutting down Malkin and Crosby. Their defense is iffy (as is ours), their goalies flaky and they melt down in the playoffs without the excuses we've had the past few years.

I'm not really too scared about any Eastern team over 7 games, as long as we're healthy. But again, I hate to get cocky and start dismissing teams but Pittsburgh wouldn't be a bad matchup.

Totally agree on the Pens. The biggest concern obviously is the Bruins. But they have showed in the past that they take a while to turn it on and are known for being taken to the brink in game 7 of the first round.