• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest L3T5G0W1NG5

James Neal Cross-Check to Glendening's Head [GIF] - Suspension?

Rate this topic

Legwand should get a game.

Jokinenen should get 0 games, but should have got at least a minor, at most a double minor.

Neal should get 1-3 games, but the NHL seems to care more about whether someone goes down or not.

Looks like Neal's cross check was to the shoulder and the follow through with his fist caught the head. Dirty, yes, suspension worthy, no.

Even if the stick came up and caught him in the head, I don't think you'd see a suspension. For a suspension, it would have to be a direct cross check to the head (I'm assuming).

Someone asked about the linesman standing right there. I'm not 100% sure of the rules here, but I had always thought that a linesman can only make a call when they see a highstick that draws blood.

Looks like Neal's cross check was to the shoulder and the follow through with his fist caught the head. Dirty, yes, suspension worthy, no.

Even if the stick came up and caught him in the head, I don't think you'd see a suspension. For a suspension, it would have to be a direct cross check to the head (I'm assuming).

Someone asked about the linesman standing right there. I'm not 100% sure of the rules here, but I had always thought that a linesman can only make a call when they see a highstick that draws blood.

I was under the assumption that a lineman can call any major penalty, but rarely does so.

but here is the rule book on linesmen

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26320

Shoulder first or not it was a head shot in the end and the league is supposed to be cracking down on crap like this. If a Wing had done the same I would be saying the same thing.

I wonder if Glendening had flopped over like he had been shot if more penalty minutes etc would have occurred. I wouldn't be shocked to hear from the Wings that he is having concussion like symptoms in the next 2 days after all its to be expected this season.

Well I'd definitely prefer Legwand have more situational awareness, but in hindsight, good on him. Very veteran move. Reminds me of Chelios. Let those punks know they don't get to do work on you easily.

Edit: The outcomes are good all the way around. I'm glad nobody got suspensions. In my opinion these are both VERY borderline plays, illegal? Yes. Severe? No. Penalties were enough in both instances.

Edited by kipwinger

Oh well Dmac would have killed this idiot.

It's so funny the Pens are always crying bloody murder but on the same hand are a team which is employing Neal, Orpik and formerly Cooke..

Orpik isn't dirty at all, I don't know where you got that. Neal is, and Cooke was, so I get your point. But Brooks Orpik is not a dirty player.

You guys realize Neal received a 2 minute penalty on that play right?

Should have been a 5 minute major and he should have been tossed for the blatant headshot.

The cross check shouldn't have been made in the first place. And whether the "intent" was for the shoulder, he ultimately cross checked him in the head and the end result is a head shot. Suspendable offence? Yes. Repeat offender? Very much so. 3 games will maybe teach that idiot more of a lesson than a measley 1 game, though I think 5 would send a better message, cause Neal is repeatedly a dirty player.

Orpik isn't dirty at all, I don't know where you got that. Neal is, and Cooke was, so I get your point. But Brooks Orpik is not a dirty player.

Orpik loves hitting from behind and taking guys knees out. He's no stranger to Q like cross checking sessions as well and unlike the Wings, his interference isn't "subtle".

Should have been a 5 minute major and he should have been tossed for the blatant headshot.

The cross check shouldn't have been made in the first place. And whether the "intent" was for the shoulder, he ultimately cross checked him in the head and the end result is a head shot. Suspendable offence? Yes. Repeat offender? Very much so. 3 games will maybe teach that idiot more of a lesson than a measley 1 game, though I think 5 would send a better message, cause Neal is repeatedly a dirty player.

Orpik loves hitting from behind and taking guys knees out. He's no stranger to Q like cross checking sessions as well and unlike the Wings, his interference isn't "subtle".

Based on what you've just said I can conclude that you think interference makes a guy "dirty" and also that you think Kyle Quincey is a "dirty" player (since you just used "Q like" to explain why Orpik is dirty).

Quincey is not a dirty player. Also, interference doesn't make one a dirty player. If you feel differently fine, but I question your logic.

Also, for a guy who "loves hitting from behind and taking guys knees out" he has remarkably few penalties every year, only topping 70 PIMs once in the last seven seasons. He also has only had two major penalties in the last six seasons despite playing huge minutes in almost every game and not ever missing serious time with injury.

He's just not dirty dude, no matter how hard you hate the Pens.

Edited by kipwinger

Based on what you've just said I can conclude that you think interference makes a guy "dirty" and also that you think Kyle Quincey is a "dirty" player (since you just used "Q like" to explain why Orpik is dirty).

Quincey is not a dirty player. Also, interference doesn't make one a dirty player. If you feel differently fine, but I question your logic.

Also, for a guy who "loves hitting from behind and taking guys knees out" he has remarkably few penalties every year, only topping 70 PIMs once in the last seven seasons. He also has only had two major penalties in the last six seasons despite playing huge minutes in almost every game and not ever missing serious time with injury.

He's just not dirty dude, no matter how hard you hate the Pens.

I was only referring to Orpik's cross checks as Q like. The dirty parts of Orpik's game is the hits from behind and on a few occasions, I've seen him take out knees. I never said Q was dirty either, more just stupid and his cross checking sequences are pretty laughable. The interference with Orpik doesn't make him dirty, it was more just an add on to a lot of the s*** he gets away with. I've watched the Pens quite a bit and I don't like what I see in Orpik. The only guys I actually care for on the Pens are Sutter, Maata and Scuderi and I guess Despres. They play the game right.

I think both plays are garbage, but the inner Wings fan in me is happy someone showed some snarl. Mind you, if it would have cost us the game, my feelings would be drastically different.

Just touching on Orpik, he reminds me of a more physical Stuart - he throws some big hits and plays the game hard. I don't know about you, but I never thought Stuart was a dirty player. I'd love to have someone like Orpik over Quincey.

I think both plays are garbage, but the inner Wings fan in me is happy someone showed some snarl. Mind you, if it would have cost us the game, my feelings would be drastically different.

Just touching on Orpik, he reminds me of a more physical Stuart - he throws some big hits and plays the game hard. I don't know about you, but I never thought Stuart was a dirty player. I'd love to have someone like Orpik over Quincey.

100%

@Bill_Roose: #Penguins forward James Neal has been fined $5,000 for his cross checking to the head of #RedWings center Luke Glendening.

@Bill_Roose: #RedWings center David Legwand has also been fined $5,000 for butt-ending #Penguins forward Evgeni Malkin Thursday night.

Edited by BottleOfSmoke

Too bad there was no footage of Oprik taking out Franzen's knee in preseason a few years back.

@Bill_Roose: #Penguins forward James Neal has been fined $5,000 for his cross checking to the head of #RedWings center Luke Glendening.

@Bill_Roose: #RedWings center David Legwand has also been fined $5,000 for butt-ending #Penguins forward Evgeni Malkin Thursday night.

Heh, someone called it. It's so stupid they fine them $5k, that's lunch money.

Edited by rrasco

i am sure if glendenning dove to the ice and laid there it would have been 5 and game. like malkin