Photo
- - - - -

James Neal Cross-Check to Glendening's Head [GIF] - Suspension?

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#41 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,199 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 11:19 AM

You guys realize Neal received a 2 minute penalty on that play right? 

Should have been a 5 minute major and he should have been tossed for the blatant headshot.

Looks like Neal's cross check was to the shoulder and the follow through with his fist caught the head.  Dirty, yes, suspension worthy, no. 

Even if the stick came up and caught him in the head, I don't think you'd see a suspension.  For a suspension, it would have to be a direct cross check to the head (I'm assuming).

Someone asked about the linesman standing right there.  I'm not 100% sure of the rules here, but I had always thought that a linesman can only make a call when they see a highstick that draws blood.

The cross check shouldn't have been made in the first place.  And whether the "intent" was for the shoulder, he ultimately cross checked him in the head and the end result is a head shot.  Suspendable offence? Yes.  Repeat offender? Very much so.  3 games will maybe teach that idiot more of a lesson than a measley 1 game, though I think 5 would send a better message, cause Neal is repeatedly a dirty player.

Orpik isn't dirty at all, I don't know where you got that.  Neal is, and Cooke was, so I get your point.  But Brooks Orpik is not a dirty player. 

Orpik loves hitting from behind and taking guys knees out.  He's no stranger to Q like cross checking sessions as well and unlike the Wings, his interference isn't "subtle".

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#42 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,695 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 11:34 AM

Should have been a 5 minute major and he should have been tossed for the blatant headshot.

The cross check shouldn't have been made in the first place.  And whether the "intent" was for the shoulder, he ultimately cross checked him in the head and the end result is a head shot.  Suspendable offence? Yes.  Repeat offender? Very much so.  3 games will maybe teach that idiot more of a lesson than a measley 1 game, though I think 5 would send a better message, cause Neal is repeatedly a dirty player.

Orpik loves hitting from behind and taking guys knees out.  He's no stranger to Q like cross checking sessions as well and unlike the Wings, his interference isn't "subtle".

Based on what you've just said I can conclude that you think interference makes a guy "dirty" and also that you think Kyle Quincey is a "dirty" player (since you just used "Q like" to explain why Orpik is dirty). 

Quincey is not a dirty player.  Also, interference doesn't make one a dirty player.  If you feel differently fine, but I question your logic. 

Also, for a guy who "loves hitting from behind and taking guys knees out" he has remarkably few penalties every year, only topping 70 PIMs once in the last seven seasons.  He also has only had two major penalties in the last six seasons despite playing huge minutes in almost every game and not ever missing serious time with injury. 

He's just not dirty dude, no matter how hard you hate the Pens.

Edited by kipwinger, 21 March 2014 - 11:35 AM.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#43 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,199 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 11:56 AM

Based on what you've just said I can conclude that you think interference makes a guy "dirty" and also that you think Kyle Quincey is a "dirty" player (since you just used "Q like" to explain why Orpik is dirty). 

Quincey is not a dirty player.  Also, interference doesn't make one a dirty player.  If you feel differently fine, but I question your logic. 

Also, for a guy who "loves hitting from behind and taking guys knees out" he has remarkably few penalties every year, only topping 70 PIMs once in the last seven seasons.  He also has only had two major penalties in the last six seasons despite playing huge minutes in almost every game and not ever missing serious time with injury. 

He's just not dirty dude, no matter how hard you hate the Pens.

I was only referring to Orpik's cross checks as Q like.  The dirty parts of Orpik's game is the hits from behind and on a few occasions, I've seen him take out knees.  I never said Q was dirty either, more just stupid and his cross checking sequences are pretty laughable. The interference with Orpik doesn't make him dirty, it was more just an add on to a lot of the s*** he gets away with.  I've watched the Pens quite a bit and I don't like what I see in Orpik.  The only guys I actually care for on the Pens are Sutter, Maata and Scuderi and I guess Despres.  They play the game right.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#44 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 01:53 PM

I think both plays are garbage, but the inner Wings fan in me is happy someone showed some snarl. Mind you, if it would have cost us the game, my feelings would be drastically different.

Just touching on Orpik, he reminds me of a more physical Stuart - he throws some big hits and plays the game hard. I don't know about you, but I never thought Stuart was a dirty player. I'd love to have someone like Orpik over Quincey.

#45 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,695 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 02:29 PM

I think both plays are garbage, but the inner Wings fan in me is happy someone showed some snarl. Mind you, if it would have cost us the game, my feelings would be drastically different.

Just touching on Orpik, he reminds me of a more physical Stuart - he throws some big hits and plays the game hard. I don't know about you, but I never thought Stuart was a dirty player. I'd love to have someone like Orpik over Quincey.

100%

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#46 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,013 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 02:31 PM

@Bill_Roose: #Penguins forward James Neal has been fined $5,000 for his cross checking to the head of #RedWings center Luke Glendening.

@Bill_Roose: #RedWings center David Legwand has also been fined $5,000 for butt-ending #Penguins forward Evgeni Malkin Thursday night.

Edited by BottleOfSmoke, 21 March 2014 - 02:31 PM.

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

#47 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,023 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 02:34 PM

Orpik isn't dirty at all, I don't know where you got that.  Neal is, and Cooke was, so I get your point.  But Brooks Orpik is not a dirty player. 

Too bad there was no footage of Oprik taking out Franzen's knee in preseason a few years back.

@Bill_Roose: #Penguins forward James Neal has been fined $5,000 for his cross checking to the head of #RedWings center Luke Glendening.

@Bill_Roose: #RedWings center David Legwand has also been fined $5,000 for butt-ending #Penguins forward Evgeni Malkin Thursday night.

Heh, someone called it.  It's so stupid they fine them $5k, that's lunch money.

Edited by rrasco, 21 March 2014 - 02:34 PM.

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

MONEY ON THE BOARD: $10/Kronwalling (1), $1/goal by: Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, disney.com (1), Andersson, Dekeyser, Pulkinnen, Ouellet, or Sproul.  2X MULTIPLIER: disney.com.  CONSOLATION PRIZE: $5/goal by: Datsyuk (3), $3/goal by: Z (1). MOTB TOTAL: $30

#48 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,776 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 02:41 PM

Heh, someone called it.  It's so stupid they fine them $5k, that's lunch money.

It's lunch money to them, but not to the people who use the players emergency fund.  Frankly, I wouldn't mind seeing fines more often for stuff like this.

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#49 jimmyemeryhunter

jimmyemeryhunter

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 02:42 PM

Given that the wings and pens are 1&2 in man games lost, you could see no suspensions were coming.
And I don't advocate any shot to the nuts, and I wish it was a different retaliation, but honestly its about time someone on the wings stood up for themselves.

#50 brett

brett

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,976 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 02:57 PM

i am sure if glendenning dove to the ice and laid there it would have been 5 and game. like malkin

#51 martinezsvsu

martinezsvsu

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 03:26 PM

neal should get 5 games. that cross check could have easily gave someone a concussion. good thing it was luke and not mule or dats or abby or helm

#52 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 04:02 PM

It's the NHL.  No injury, no suspension.

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#53 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,974 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 04:06 PM

Too bad there was no footage of Oprik taking out Franzen's knee in preseason a few years back.

Yeah, too bad...

#54 LAWings

LAWings

Rookie

• Pip
  • 140 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 04:16 PM

Double fines, of $5,000 one to Legwand, one to Neal and that's it.

http://www.mlive.com...vid_legwan.html

#55 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,691 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 07:29 PM

I agree with you in that there should not have been suspensions handed out for last night's plays, but Orpik isn't exactly a clean player. Years ago he drilled Erik Cole from behind when Cole was still with the 'Canes. That was a very dirty play.

More recently, he threw a knee-on-knee hit on Derek Stepan of the Rangers. Pretty sure he threw a knee-on-knee on Franzen a while back, too. He talks an awful lot of trash for someone who probably hasn't even fought 15 times in his NHL career. When he does fight, he fights guys who are smaller than him and aren't close to experienced fighters like Joffrey Lupul and RJ Umberger. Orpik is trash.

Edited by Bring Back The Bruise Bros, 21 March 2014 - 07:30 PM.

"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#56 WingsAlways

WingsAlways

Grind Line 2.0

• PipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 07:48 PM

Double fines, of $5,000 one to Legwand, one to Neal and that's it.

http://www.mlive.com...vid_legwan.html

It makes you wonder if Neal would have received a suspension had Legwand not neutered Malkin with the end of his stick.  

"Wow Chicago, you've won four Stanley Cups? Me too! - Kris Draper"

#57 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,567 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 08:58 PM

I'd rather see 'street justice', and have Neals pretty face re-arranged, but this is 2014, and not 1984.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#58 The Datsyukian Deke

The Datsyukian Deke

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 89 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 09:26 PM

I'm really looking forward to a Pens vs Bruins Series in this years playoffs. For sure they haven't forgotten the knee-to-the-head from Neal on Marchand.. :boxing:

Lidstrom: "Retiring today allows me to walk away from the game with pride, rather than have the game walk away from me."

#59 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,744 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 09:36 PM

It makes you wonder if Neal would have received a suspension had Legwand not neutered Malkin with the end of his stick.  

Either way, two wrongs don't make a right.  A butt-end is a dangerous play, and in the case of Legwand, he targeted the groin of Malkin.  Just like that cross check to the head should be zero tolerance as well.  Both players should have been suspended 1-2 games each.  They would have lost more money and been on the shelf for their disgusting behavior.

Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#60 martinezsvsu

martinezsvsu

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 12:04 PM

so if luke blatantly cross checks neal in the head next time we play the pens and neal gets a severe concussion luke will only get fined 5K.

this is such bs, luke didnt even see the cross check coming, im shocked he didnt get a concussion. to me this hit is just as bad as cooke hitting savard. i dont care about the result, it should be 100% about the intent.