491 replies to this topic

#441 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,531 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 04:13 PM

So...

We can win matinee games, just as long as they're on FSD?

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

Just look at how he hangs his sunglasses from his banana hammock in that last pic.  This guyf****** rules. --kipwinger

#442 SimonSin

SimonSin

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 04:15 PM

What a win! And hopefully they can pull the sweep tomorrow. I'll like to see Franzen do something. Man, guy can score 10 goals in two games and not score again for 20.

#443 marcaractac

marcaractac

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,471 posts

So...

And with your haikus

#444 CaliforniaWingsFan

CaliforniaWingsFan

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 844 posts

Playing this after every game from now on.

http://gifsound.com/...uQtrkuHX4I&s=10

Credit to arcsine at r/DetroitRedWings.

#445 SimonSin

SimonSin

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 04:16 PM

So...

LoL. If it was on NBC we would have lost 10-0.

#446 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,065 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 04:20 PM

Did Smith play forward today?

#447 matt198913

matt198913

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,228 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 04:21 PM

Did Smith play forward today?

Nope d and really good D
BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#448 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,615 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 04:28 PM

So do we stick with our white uniforms?

#449 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,703 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 04:31 PM

Huge win!
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#450 RedWang

RedWang

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 04:37 PM

I only got to listen to the game, can someone plz post a gif of the Goose's goal? I heard it was a beaut.

#451 SDavis35

SDavis35

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 941 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 04:40 PM

Doesn't matter. People posting on the internet has no effect on whether Howard is Below, Above, or Equal to being an average goalie.

It's his on ice play that determines that.

And if people are saying he sucks after one bad goal they too are ignoring half the information to make their remarks.

But you made a sarcastic remark about him being average. (Which, again, he is when you look at ALL the information and not just the info that supports what you want)

Top 10 among active goalies (career) in both SV% and GAA. 

I thought he's played well this past week at least, I didn't notice how many solid saves he had until FSD showed the clip early in the 3rd. 

#452 roboturner

roboturner

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 04:41 PM

He was fantastic today. That isn't blind praise. Also, you do realize there are plenty of people here on the opposite end of the spectrum regarding Howard, right?

It is blind praise when there are constant excuses when things are bad for him, and when he's playing well he's the greatest goalie and somehow ALL the bad things he does are ignored.

I'm sure there are, but to get to that point you have to think "OK, if he wasn't playing for the Wings, would I think he's an above average goalie? Would I want him on my team?"  Then you take a critical look at his game.

It seems most "Howard Supporters" are just that. Supporters. "I'm going to support Howard no matter what cuz he's on the Wings and I'm a fan of the Wings so I can't think bad thoughts about any aspect of his game or I won't be a true fan and anybody who doesn't support him 100% no matter shouldn't voice their concerns and opinions Y cant U jsut support him!!"

If you're referencing people saying "he sucks" right after goal without any other thoughts or analysis going into that, then yeah they are just as guilty as people saying "Average Save There, Hey Guys!!" after he makes one nice save and not putting any other thoughts or analysis into it.

It's the same thing.  Selecting only the instances that confirm your theory and ignoring all the instances that don't isn't going to get you to an informed, rational position, whatever that position is.

If I selected only his greatest moments he would seem like a great, above average NHL goalie.

If I selected only his weakest moments he would seem like a s***ty, below average NHL goalie.

If I look at ALL his work, then and only then could you make a determination on how well he actually plays. That's all I'm advocating. I don't care where you fall once you've done that.

#453 roboturner

roboturner

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 05:08 PM

Top 10 among active goalies (career) in both SV% and GAA. 

I thought he's played well this past week at least, I didn't notice how many solid saves he had until FSD showed the clip early in the 3rd. 

He did play well this past week and I don't think that first goal was as bad as some. (See, I'll give him credit when he deserves it!!)

Among active goalies who have played more than 10 games, Howard is:

40th in GAA &

37th in SV%

His numbers from previous seasons don't guarantee he'll continue to be a top 10. His numbers from this season don't guarantee he'll continue to be a mid 40 goalie.

But you can't take only one piece of info, then ignore the rest and try to assert something based on that. I'll just quote myself haha

If I selected only his greatest moments he would seem like a great, above average NHL goalie.

If I selected only his weakest moments he would seem like a s***ty, below average NHL goalie.

If I look at ALL his work, then and only then could you make a determination on how well he actually plays. That's all I'm advocating. I don't care where you fall once you've done that.

#454 pucktividi

pucktividi

the usual suspect

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 05:12 PM

I'm gonna watch the game now.I like the final score though :lol:

#455 SDavis35

SDavis35

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 941 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 05:27 PM

He did play well this past week and I don't think that first goal was as bad as some. (See, I'll give him credit when he deserves it!!)

Among active goalies who have played more than 10 games, Howard is:

40th in GAA &

37th in SV%

His numbers from previous seasons don't guarantee he'll continue to be a top 10. His numbers from this season don't guarantee he'll continue to be a mid 40 goalie.

But you can't take only one piece of info, then ignore the rest and try to assert something based on that. I'll just quote myself haha

What about 20+ games? (ie. among Starters) Not that it would say he's better or anything, it would probably make him look worse. 

You are not a Howard hater, you will at least entertain the idea that he played well. I don't think either goal could be considered "bad" as much as he just got beat. Bad timing for sure, but the Wings are battling and competing well so the goals allowed is behind us. 

At least we can agree that this season, Howard has not been at the top of his game. He is therefore average (statistically) this season. I just don't enjoy reading the others who think we need to trade in Howard based on a single poor season. 

#456 marcaractac

marcaractac

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,471 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 05:33 PM

I love how that even with this depleted lineup, the officiating can't even beat us.

#457 Andy Pred 48

Andy Pred 48

Coming soon,"the slovak line" Marek and 2 Toms!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 05:39 PM

with all the kids getting better with each game it'll be interesting who sits when the injured guys start coming back.

Do we have a limit on the cap still or is that now lifted. I can only presume that Jurco, Sheahan, Pulkkinen,Ferraro

and Emmerton will go back to GR's and maybe Glendening stays as Babs likes him. To me Sheahan should stay 

up because him with Gus and Tats can be a dominate 3rd line for us. 

Hopefully they can keep going and get us in the post season when most of our injured guys should be back.

At the end of the day the kids have done great, but when you have the guys we have out it could be any other

teams top 2 forward lines.

"What are you guys doing?" Reggie Dunlop
"Putting on the foil coach" Jeff Hanson
"Yeah, every game, you want some coach?" Steve Hanson
"Er, no. No thanks guys." Reggie Dunlop
"Make sure they don't leave the bench!" Reggie Dunlop.

#458 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,035 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 05:40 PM

jcfos5V.gif

This is mesmerizing, I can't stop looking at it.

"He usually shows up when the game is over and tries to be the hero. Puts his cape on and goes and flies out there." ~ Franzen 

#459 nawein

nawein

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 05:43 PM

What were the actual lines today?

Mule-Legwand-Alfie
Tats-Tinky-Gus
Miller-Glendening-Bert
Ferraro-Helm-Emdog

Kronner-Smith
DK-Q
Kindl-Lash

#460 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 05:49 PM

Outside of Joakim Andersson, no one else is really close to coming back.  I don't see Datsyuk coming back this season, or Zetterberg either.