• Please log in to reply
491 replies to this topic

#461 roboturner

roboturner

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 05:51 PM

What about 20+ games? (ie. among Starters) Not that it would say he's better or anything, it would probably make him look worse. 

You are not a Howard hater, you will at least entertain the idea that he played well. I don't think either goal could be considered "bad" as much as he just got beat. Bad timing for sure, but the Wings are battling and competing well so the goals allowed is behind us. 

At least we can agree that this season, Howard has not been at the top of his game. He is therefore average (statistically) this season. I just don't enjoy reading the others who think we need to trade in Howard based on a single poor season. 

35th in GAA

31st in SV%     not great haha

I always try to use "replacement word/words" in these situations.

"If a Wing had scored that 1st goal on another goalie, would I think that goalie sucks cuz he didn't stop it? Or would I think that it was just a really nice shot by a talented Red Wing?"

"If the Wings scored a weak goal on a goalie, would I think that goal was due to a lucky shot, lucky bounce, or poor defense? Or would I think that their goalie misplayed it."

I wouldn't want to get rid of Howard because of one bad season.

I would, however, want to get rid of him after 1.5 bad seasons (maybe 2, but I doubt it haha) AND due to his other severely lacking aspects of hockey playing ability. (or at the very least start exploring your options)

I would give him more time if these other aspects weren't as much of an issue but I don't see him making any improvements in those areas.

Edited by roboturner, 22 March 2014 - 05:53 PM.

This might be getting a little heated. Just know I don't hate any of you guys.

That doesn't mean that I respect ideas & opinions. Some ideas & opinions are ridiculous.

In fact, if you confront my ideas & opinions, that will lead to a discussion. (We're on a discussion board after all. Don't forget that!)

:bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1:

#462 puckbags

puckbags

The Future

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,609 posts
  • Location:Cobble Hill, BC, Canada ( 2,522 Miles from the Joe)

Posted 22 March 2014 - 05:53 PM

If we somehow get this battered team to the playoffs I can't see how Babs doesn't at least get a nomination for coach of the year.

"Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Refuses to Work Hard"

#463 Andy Pred 48

Andy Pred 48

Coming soon,"the slovak line" Marek and 2 Toms!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,865 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 05:55 PM

the thing is if we make the playoffs we'll want Pav and Z back on the ice if possible. 

I would like the front office to shut them both down and let them heel up for next

year, where i believe we will be in a much better position to have a good year.

I think that they have told Weiss that he should call it a year already and get healthy

for 2014-15.

"What are you guys doing?" Reggie Dunlop
"Putting on the foil coach" Jeff Hanson
"Yeah, every game, you want some coach?" Steve Hanson
"Er, no. No thanks guys." Reggie Dunlop
"Make sure they don't leave the bench!" Reggie Dunlop.

#464 marcaractac

marcaractac

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,344 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 05:57 PM

with all the kids getting better with each game it'll be interesting who sits when the injured guys start coming back.

Do we have a limit on the cap still or is that now lifted. I can only presume that Jurco, Sheahan, Pulkkinen,Ferraro

and Emmerton will go back to GR's and maybe Glendening stays as Babs likes him. To me Sheahan should stay 

up because him with Gus and Tats can be a dominate 3rd line for us. 

Hopefully they can keep going and get us in the post season when most of our injured guys should be back.

At the end of the day the kids have done great, but when you have the guys we have out it could be any other

teams top 2 forward lines.

Glendening-Sheahan-Miller. Boom, 4th line. You'd have to think Andersson is the odd man out when we get healthy. Nothing against him, but he is such a slow skater. Sheahan can more than make up for the points Andy would put up. 

#465 Ekmanc

Ekmanc

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 994 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 06:01 PM

If we somehow get this battered team to the playoffs I can't see how Babs doesn't at least get a nomination for coach of the year.

The Jack Adams trophy most likely already has Roy's name engraved on it. Sadly I don't think anyone coaching Detroit will come near that trophy in a foreseeable future.

#466 puckbags

puckbags

The Future

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,609 posts
  • Location:Cobble Hill, BC, Canada ( 2,522 Miles from the Joe)

Posted 22 March 2014 - 06:41 PM

The Jack Adams trophy most likely already has Roy's name engraved on it. Sadly I don't think anyone coaching Detroit will come near that trophy in a foreseeable future.

Which is exactly why I said a nomination.  The 2nd part of your statement is some weird attempt at questioning the coaching staff I take it?   I'm confused.

"Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Refuses to Work Hard"

#467 wings_fanatic

wings_fanatic

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 06:45 PM

Which is exactly why I said a nomination.  The 2nd part of your statement is some weird attempt at questioning the coaching staff I take it?   I'm confused.

I think he is saying what I said the other day... Mike Babcock should have already won the jack Adams award at least once by now (probably should have won twice tbh) but he has been ignored every year just because its Detroit.

#468 darkmanx

darkmanx

Toronto's Finest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,723 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 06:45 PM

Don't think that's what he/she meant, it was taken in different context.

I read it as the Wings have been so successful in the last 20 years they won't win it based upon that. If the Wings bottomed out for 3 years and went on to make the playoffs then Babcock would probably win it.

#469 pucktividi

pucktividi

the usual suspect

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 07:16 PM

Sadly I don't think anyone coaching Detroit will come near that trophy in a foreseeable future.

I'm optimist about our coaches.We have Babcock here and Blashill in Grand Rapids.Blashill had a year as Babs assistant,learned a thing our two,then turned back to Griffins and won the Calder Cup.So basically,he's familiar with both our young and veteran players and it's a win-win situation when/if he takes over the Wings one day.

#470 Ekmanc

Ekmanc

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 994 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 08:03 PM

No I like our coaches but I don't think there's anything they could do with this team that would give us the Jack Adams, everyone expects Detroit to do well.

#471 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 08:23 PM

I don't think it's anything against Detroit.  I think it has more to do with having a team with a ton of talent that people expect to win.  Usually, it tends to go to a coach who made the biggest turnaround of a team.  Patrick Roy definitely fits the bill on that, but I do think Babcock will get votes.  But, making the playoffs is essential.

#472 marcaractac

marcaractac

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,344 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 08:25 PM

I don't think it's anything against Detroit.  I think it has more to do with having a team with a ton of talent that people expect to win.  Usually, it tends to go to a coach who made the biggest turnaround of a team.  Patrick Roy definitely fits the bill on that, but I do think Babcock will get votes.  But, making the playoffs is essential.

Then they should have a most improved team award. 

#473 gowings00

gowings00

No Talent Goon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,833 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 08:26 PM

We won because the PP scored. Plain and simple.

#474 marcaractac

marcaractac

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,344 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 08:34 PM

We won because the PP scored. Plain and simple.

Can't stop our ENFORCER!!!

#475 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 08:34 PM

Can't stop our ENFORCER!!!

It was a good deadline acquisition

#476 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 09:06 PM

Then they should have a most improved team award. 

Meh, I don't really care much about awards.  It's like the Norris trophy often goes to the most offensive defenseman.  Awards are nice and all, but there's really only one prize that matters.  

#477 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 09:11 PM

Meh, I don't really care much about awards.  It's like the Norris trophy often goes to the most offensive defenseman.  Awards are nice and all, but there's really only one prize that matters.  

Two awards. 

The Conn Smythe is huge, a recognition of a huge part of why you get the "one prize that really matters", imo. Who turns on beast mode in the playoffs is well worth the recognition. 

#478 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 09:16 PM

There is often more than one deserving player for the CS.

#479 Mckinley25

Mckinley25

4th Line Grinder

• Bronze Booster
  • 319 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 09:17 PM

There is often more than one deserving player for the CS.

And sometimes theyre on the other team.

#480 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,736 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 11:04 PM

Glendening-Sheahan-Miller. Boom, 4th line. You'd have to think Andersson is the odd man out when we get healthy. Nothing against him, but he is such a slow skater. Sheahan can more than make up for the points Andy would put up. 

I agree Andy is the odd man out, but no way should the Jurco - Sheahan - Tatar line be split up.

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Nestrasil, yes...Cleary....No!

Dump Q and K Now!