• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 02:05 PM

It's because Smith isn't on the Power Play... Just kidding.

My reasons:

1. Babs philosophy has been a hindrance all year, we get a couple early and then drop into a defensive posture; but the problem is that the team defense this season is a mess. That's the reason why the PP has been struggling to tack on goals, the inability to turn it back on offensively after shutting the offense down and going into a defensive mode. Plus once the opposing team pushes for a goal late, we don't have the d-men to push back.

2. The team has a tendency to get flustered after giving up a goal. They score several goals, and feel good about themselves; when all of a sudden WHAM! The porous defense gives up a goal, and then you see the shoulders drop as does the concentration level causing more goals to follow. After it happens in several games, it becomes a mental obstacle that the Wings haven't been able to overcome. This issue mainly might exist because we have a young team, but that doesn't excuse the veterans who have been guilty of it too. The Wings essentially put themselves into a position where Babs should call a TO after every first goal given up just to calm his team down, so things don't continue to spiral.

3. This reason is tenuous at best, but we have to acknowledge the fact that luck has also played a part in some these collapses. Taking yesterday's game as an example: The wings hit 3 posts in the span, of what; 3 minutes? Sometimes you get lucky as was the case in the Pens game, and sometimes you get unlucky as was the case in yesterday's game. And sometimes if you get 12 shots in 63 minutes of play, and generally look s***ty, no amount of luck will save you.

4. I've been a big Howard fan for years but he has got to be more consistent. He's been unbelievable lately by making huge stops on extremely difficult plays, some of his stops yesterday were amazing, but as good as he's looked on the difficult saves his issues have always come on easy shots. Whether it be poor positioning or lack of concentration, Howard has had the tendency for years to give up soft goals. I don't think I've ever seen someone look so good on a difficult shot and look so bad on an easy shot from the corner.

Promise I'm almost done.

5. Shot blocking: this has been an issue since Stuart left and an area the team has to improve on.

But, hey this is IMHO so feel free to disagree.

Edited by wings87, 24 March 2014 - 02:08 PM.

"He usually shows up when the game is over and tries to be the hero. Puts his cape on and goes and flies out there." ~ Franzen 

#22 marcaractac

marcaractac

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 02:05 PM

It is inexperience in our lineup when the opposing turns it up another gear when losing. It leads to the young players on the Wings making mistakes. This is what happens when you have 12 players on your team that was in the AHL last season.

On top of that, blown leads in today's league is nothing new. It is happening across the league with manufactured parity and situational officiating. A lot of people has blamed coaching during the season, which I think is silly. The system the team is playing is what's giving them the best chance to win every night. There might be 3 or 4 coaches in this league that can have this team in the situation it is is right now. In the end, coaching can only do so much to prevent mistakes. The rest of it comes down to experience, and it is great that we have a dozen or so players getting loads of it.

#23 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,025 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 02:12 PM

We turn the puck over so much, I don't go by stats because they rarely chart it correctly. But just watching the Wings play you see the turnovers, way too often the D have time to get it out of the zone and instead turn it over and it stays in and the opposing team gets a cycle going leading to a scoring chance, penalty or goal. Sometimes I wish we'd just simplify and put it off the glass and out, chip and chase. With so many kids, and our team speed being pretty darn good right now, it'd favor us to go against the puck possession game a little bit when leading in the 3rd. It doesn't always have to be pretty.

#NOMOREKINDL

#24 hardcoretom21

hardcoretom21

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 11:13 PM

It stings a little less that the Wings were able to come back from 2 goals down today. Looking at this team you have to think they are better than that.
Only breathing is more important than winning

"For most of a decade, the Wings were the most popular team not just because they won, but also because they won with flair, with speedy Russians and legendary leaders and the occasional willing fighter"

#25 WingsallTheway

WingsallTheway

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 08:36 AM

My reasoning:

Nyquist is the only player who can score and he can't get a hat trick every game

wingsalltheway.jpg

Pavel datsyuk is the best player in the world because he snatches the puck from unsuspecting players and  follows it up by the simultaneous undressing of the defence pairing.  The end result is a calm skate back to his bench  where he can bask in the praise of his multiple girlfriends from the motherland.

#26 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 09:12 AM

My reasoning:

Nyquist is the only player who can score and he can't get a hat trick every game

Tatar scores. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#27 hardcoretom21

hardcoretom21

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 09:21 AM

Alfie's been contributing too. Franzen needs to put it in against Mtl
Only breathing is more important than winning

"For most of a decade, the Wings were the most popular team not just because they won, but also because they won with flair, with speedy Russians and legendary leaders and the occasional willing fighter"

#28 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 02:20 PM

Tatar scores.

To be fair he's just slightly less cold then Franzen at the moment.

"He usually shows up when the game is over and tries to be the hero. Puts his cape on and goes and flies out there." ~ Franzen 

#29 darkmanx

darkmanx

Toronto's Finest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,617 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 02:26 PM

To be fair he's just slightly less cold then Franzen at the moment.

For one it's his first full year in the NHL, the other guy has played 8 full seasons. Tatar has played exceptionally well for his first year, and regarding on how things started out (being benched for Cleary / Sammy). Tatar has 33 points in 62 games, not disappointed with that at all considering his TOI and linemates for majority of the season.

#30 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 02:43 PM

For one it's his first full year in the NHL, the other guy has played 8 full seasons. Tatar has played exceptionally well for his first year, and regarding on how things started out (being benched for Cleary / Sammy). Tatar has 33 points in 62 games, not disappointed with that at all considering his TOI and linemates for majority of the season.

Ok, I'm gonna blame this on miscommunication. I didn't say Tatar has been bad, in fact he has had a remarkable year, nor did I compare him to Franzen. The only comparison I made was to their current production at this exact moment. Also I'm not disappointed in either player. Tatar has a bright future, and Franzen is Franzen; I'm not happy but I'm used to his cold streaks. 

#31 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 02:49 PM

I think younger players have the tendency to want to make something happen as opposed to sitting back and waiting for an opportunity to present itself and be patient as the Red Wings teams of old used to.  Instead of  clearing the zone or dumping it in, they tend to want to make a slick play.  It tends to lead to more turnovers and odd man rushes. 

I also think (not in a bashing way) that Howard doesn't seem to have confidence in his defense and vice versa. 

#32 themcityblues

themcityblues

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 06:39 PM

Kids break down, either when they sit back or the opponent pushes.  Both tends to happen when the wings have a lead going into the 3rd period.

#33 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,219 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 08:58 PM

I'm glad we're in a playoff position and lord knows I'd like to kick back and feel good about the fact that our team is playing decently well, but sadly I can't.  Yesterday we left another point on the table after leading 2 to nothing in the first.  In a race this tight we can't afford to give points away, but we blow leads every game. 

It's Babs' stated goal to get early leads and then lock down defensively.  As such, this shouldn't be happening.  So, the topic for discussion is...why?  Let's talk about problems, and let's talk about solutions.  And for the love of god can this thread not devolve into a "Player X sucks" discussion, because surely we can all agree that if an entire team strategy is failing there are more issues than one or two players.  

I guess get the lead and play the trap even though I hate the trap.

#34 AtlantaHotWings

AtlantaHotWings

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 10:27 PM

Young kids sure but we blew leads in the beginning of the year too. I think Babs is maybe overcoaching with the lead. I say keep the foot on the pedal and keep blasting away worst case its entertaining hockey.

"Wakie, wakie hands off Snakie" - Jason Lee of Earl