1. Babs philosophy has been a hindrance all year, we get a couple early and then drop into a defensive posture; but the problem is that the team defense this season is a mess. That's the reason why the PP has been struggling to tack on goals, the inability to turn it back on offensively after shutting the offense down and going into a defensive mode. Plus once the opposing team pushes for a goal late, we don't have the d-men to push back.
2. The team has a tendency to get flustered after giving up a goal. They score several goals, and feel good about themselves; when all of a sudden WHAM! The porous defense gives up a goal, and then you see the shoulders drop as does the concentration level causing more goals to follow. After it happens in several games, it becomes a mental obstacle that the Wings haven't been able to overcome. This issue mainly might exist because we have a young team, but that doesn't excuse the veterans who have been guilty of it too. The Wings essentially put themselves into a position where Babs should call a TO after every first goal given up just to calm his team down, so things don't continue to spiral.
3. This reason is tenuous at best, but we have to acknowledge the fact that luck has also played a part in some these collapses. Taking yesterday's game as an example: The wings hit 3 posts in the span, of what; 3 minutes? Sometimes you get lucky as was the case in the Pens game, and sometimes you get unlucky as was the case in yesterday's game. And sometimes if you get 12 shots in 63 minutes of play, and generally look s***ty, no amount of luck will save you.
4. I've been a big Howard fan for years but he has got to be more consistent. He's been unbelievable lately by making huge stops on extremely difficult plays, some of his stops yesterday were amazing, but as good as he's looked on the difficult saves his issues have always come on easy shots. Whether it be poor positioning or lack of concentration, Howard has had the tendency for years to give up soft goals. I don't think I've ever seen someone look so good on a difficult shot and look so bad on an easy shot from the corner.
Promise I'm almost done.
5. Shot blocking: this has been an issue since Stuart left and an area the team has to improve on.
But, hey this is IMHO so feel free to disagree.
Edited by wings87, 24 March 2014 - 02:08 PM.