• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

frankgrimes

Backes on playing against Malkin and Crosby

Rate this topic

Found a really nice quote on the NHL site:

,,..I don't want to give you all of my secrets, but if I was in a skill competition with those two guys I'm going to lose 100 times out of 100. Physical, hard, make them earn their ice. That's the way I play most nights, I'd like to think .."

the guy is the prototype of a blue collar hockeyplayer, beast and is giving out all each shift even if not the most talented player. God would he ever look good in a Winged Wheel

That's pretty much been Detroit's strategy against opponents top line over the last few games, putting Glendenning against Crosby and then against Minnesota's top line. It's definitely worked.

Backes would be a fun red wing to watch

The Flyers have done the same thing and it worked extremely well against their hated rivals, almost like they are still in their heads :-)

I don't get the fascination some of you have with this guy. Is this thread just another excuse to dream about getting him to the Wings? Because that quote seems like what anyone would say about going up against Sid and Malkin.

I don't get the fascination some of you have with this guy. Is this thread just another excuse to dream about getting him to the Wings? Because that quote seems like what anyone would say about going up against Sid and Malkin.

I can't speak for everyone else but my fascination with him has a lot to do with the fact that he's a huge powerforward who's a stud defensively, chips in 20-25 goals and 50+ pts. a season, hits like a truck, plays hard every shift of every game, is a consummate leader, and doesn't seem overly douchey as a person. But that's just me.

I can't speak for everyone else but my fascination with him has a lot to do with the fact that he's a huge powerforward who's a stud defensively, chips in 20-25 goals and 50+ pts. a season, hits like a truck, plays hard every shift of every game, is a consummate leader, and doesn't seem overly douchey as a person. But that's just me.

Agreed. Frankly I kind of hate him because of how he plays when it's against the Wings, but he's the kind of guy who plays on the edge that I'd like to have on the Wings.

Agreed. Frankly I kind of hate him because of how he plays when it's against the Wings, but he's the kind of guy who plays on the edge that I'd like to have on the Wings.

Yeah, I feel about Backes the way I always felt about Shane Doan. The guy's awesome as hell but I cringe everytime I think about our guys going on the ice with him.

Yeah, I feel about Backes the way I always felt about Shane Doan. The guy's awesome as hell but I cringe everytime I think about our guys going on the ice with him.

Agreed. Though I even have a little more disdain for Doan. When the Kings knocked them out of the playoffs a couple years back in a very heated series, he was whining about officiating and threw a mini tantrum. A lot of the Coyotes did actually (the series ended off a controversial hit from Brown) but I expected more from Doan.

Agreed. Though I even have a little more disdain for Doan. When the Kings knocked them out of the playoffs a couple years back in a very heated series, he was whining about officiating and threw a mini tantrum. A lot of the Coyotes did actually (the series ended off a controversial hit from Brown) but I expected more from Doan.

Now that you mention it I recall that too, and it was pretty out of character for him. Guess I just whitewashed it in my memory because I've always liked the guy. Both he and Backes are proof positive that you can play VERY physical hockey without really needing to fight (although I guess both do on rare occasions). In my opinion that's ideally how physicality should manifest itself in the game.

Backes has always been among my favorites in the NHL, he defines what a well rounded hockey player should be. He's the captain of one of the most offensively explosive teams, doesn't get pushed around, doesn't let his team mates get pushed around. He skates well, plays a sound two way game, he hits hard, he has a good attitude and is consistent. What isn't to like?

He currently has 50 points in 66 games with 5 game winning goals, is a plus 11 and has nearly 250 hits.

I would overpay to have him play for Detroit just because of what he brings to the table. A hockey player that can be used in any situation on the ice is hard to find.

If he was a Wing, people would only complain about how he doesn't put up 30-35 goals and 70+ points a season like a "true" power forward.

Yeah grind and energy lines are one of the most underappreciated lines in hockey. Backed may be the best powerforward after Lucic. He is everything someone would expect from a pwf

I cringe everytime he is one the ice against our players but I am not blaming him and I love Backed style of game. Now he is also humble just a perfect hockey player

Backes has always been among my favorites in the NHL, he defines what a well rounded hockey player should be. He's the captain of one of the most offensively explosive teams, doesn't get pushed around, doesn't let his team mates get pushed around. He skates well, plays a sound two way game, he hits hard, he has a good attitude and is consistent. What isn't to like?

He currently has 50 points in 66 games with 5 game winning goals, is a plus 11 and has nearly 250 hits.

I would overpay to have him play for Detroit just because of what he brings to the table. A hockey player that can be used in any situation on the ice is hard to find.

I'd go as high as 5.5-6/year for backes

And now we all see the value the Grind Line brought to the Wings years ago. They could play tough against the best lines of other teams and could also score.

Yup. They created space, not just on the ice but also in the matchups department - especially at home, with the last change.

Backes is great. Been a good long while since we've had a guy like him, and I think it's shown.

I'd go as high as 5.5-6/year for backes

I'd overpay for him because our need is just that great. Which I'm guessing is your reason as well, but I just wanted to say it.

It was nice to see Legwand drill that guy into the boards in Sunday's game. And Franzen had that monster hit in the 'hawks game. I like to think Glendening is rubbing off on the rest of the troops. Or maybe it's just Kronwall saying, "I'm 5'11. I hit. We should be hitting more. We're certainly not possessing the puck enough to justify not hitting."

One thing pretty much every other team in the league does better than us: wearing the opposition down over the course of a game. Making them run around in their zone is part of that, but you also want to make them "pay a price" physically. Do some damage behind their goal line. Crash, bang, punish. Make their defensemen second-guess themselves and look over their shoulders. Rattle them. The Wild did that against us in Sunday's game.

Edited by Dabura

I'd be easily willing to pay him north of 6.5 for 7 years he is that kind of a beast. Heck Backes even overpowers some other pwfs with his sheer strength he. Get him as a top 6 guy add Orr and Gazdic to our fourth line and that lineup becomes a pain in the ass to play against

I'd be easily willing to pay him north of 6.5 for 7 years he is that kind of a beast. Heck Backes even overpowers some other pwfs with his sheer strength he. Get him as a top 6 guy add Orr and Gazdic to our fourth line and that lineup becomes a pain in the ass to play against

I'm sure Datsyuk would LOVE having backes on his wing, could you imagine? I'm gonna go drool for a while, see us in a bit

For people wondering what I have against Backes, it's crap like this.

St. Louis losing 3-0 with a little over 5 minutes left in the third period, Backes gets outmuscled by Mackinnon so he gets up and drops the gloves on the 18 year old rookie, pushes him down, then punches him when he's on the ice.

Then there's Jackhole playing the toughguy with some gloved punches when a ref is right there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoYMetw0zRo

I would want to root for St. Louis, but just can't with those two d-bags on the roster.