• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
haroldsnepsts

Systems Analyst: Red Wings score 3 goals on the Leafs

Rate this topic

My favorite hockey blog breaks down the breakdowns that led to the Wings scoring three on the Leafs.

Justin Bourne is a former minor leaguer who does a great job explaining the finer points of the game, often in hilarious fashion. I've been watching hockey a looong time but still find a lot of what he points out very educational.

(emphasis mine on some of the funnier parts)

http://blogs.thescore.com/nhl/2014/03/19/systems-analyst-red-wings-score-on-3-rush-chances-to-beat-the-leafs-whos-to-blame/

This is as far back as the video goes, but what we’ve got off the top is…

l1-590x300.jpg

…Kessel and JvR forechecking, Kyle Quincey trying to break the puck out, the Red Wings looking sound positionally, and the Leafs F3, Tyler Bozak….oh god where’s Bozie going. Bozie, you’re high, what’re you creeping in for? We don’t even have the puck!

Bozak should be staying high, and be on the strong side. He’s cheating – and cheating curiously bad. It’s not like he’s going to an open spot of ice where his team gaining possession equals a goal.

Quincey bats the puck out of the air, and gets it up to the Red Wings winger, Gustav Nyquist.

Bozak has continued on to make dinner plans with Jimmy Howard, meaning all three forwards are trapped.

I find it odd that Franson pivoted to backwards to back out the zone as the play unfolded – again, no panic button – but he again has to pivot, and now you’ve got Gleason and Franson in a foot-race with one of the NHL’s best skaters, Gustav Nyquist.

L5-590x296.jpg

Snap your fingers and…

L6-590x298.jpg

Granted, Franson was pivoting, but still. BYEeeeeeee.