• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Andy Pred 48

Showcasing for Trade?

Rate this topic

I know alot of the call ups this year has been down mainly to the excessive injuries we have sustained but maybe there is a little showcasing going on here. We dont know what Kenny offered in any potential deals but he knows what the other GM's were after and maybe he's showing a little bit more of what we have on offer. That top D guy is a must for us next year and maybe a couple of pieces needed to pull off a deal in the summer are being aired at this moment in time. That D guy we need isnt in the coming UFA's so it'll need to be done via a trade. Maybe some potential trade partner whats to see the goods before he parts with his asset's ?

We wouldn't have anyone to play if we didn't play these kids - we aren't showcasing anyone when we are this depleted. Its not like healthy players are sitting to allow kids to be showcased. If Holland moves any one of Nyquist, Sheahan, Tatar at this point he is a complete fool and not just the fool who overpaid for a 33 year old rental that would only waive to come to Detroit (he has been good but it was overpayment). These kids have proven they can carry the load and should be maintains in the winged wheel for the next 10+ years.

He checking out what he has so he knows who to re-sign on this summer

which in away is showcasing what we have. If we wanted a settled side for the run in we wouldnt be calling 3 different guys up to have a look. We should have gone with one of them right till the end. Pilks got 3 games Ferraro had 4 Toots canme up for 1 and now Callahan. Just seems a little odd to me, espically like people have said when we are in a tight race for the wild card.

On a side note young Marc McNulty has been called up to the Griffins.

Holland's not in a position to be crafty like that. The people that are playing are playing simply because they're the best guys that aren't injured.

But as s***ty as the situation is, it's obviously a plus that many of our assets are getting some great exposure and no doubt that in some cases, their value will increase.

And I'll believe that Holland will trade for a top defenseman when I see it. I know we need it to really balance the team and defense out, but I don't think Holland's going to get it done. If he hasn't gotten it done year after year despite losing Rafalski, Stuart and Lidstrom, what's going to magically change now? Holland's more apt to hold on to guys in our system when they show flashes of brilliance, despite the fact that on several occasions, it's come back to bite him in the ass when guys sour on Detroit, the system, or just generally fall into a funk and struggle. It's important to keep guys that contribute and have potential, but it's a gamble, and it wouldn't be a bad idea to gamble on trading them when they're hot to bring in more proven talent. Especially when we really, clearly need a legit 1-2 defenseman to make this team consistently competitive.

Is it the primary purpose? No. is it happening? yes. we have a lot of guys in the organization that we need to make decisions on. Do we resign ferraro? Callahan? legwand? is any of the Nyquist, tatar, Jurco, Pulkinnan, group ready? That is 7 guys right there, then add in the Abby, Andersson, helm, datsyuk, Z, Miller, Tootoo, Franzen, glendening group and we are already over 14. That is before we resign any UFA's or add some outside UFA's.

As andy mentioned, to get a top pair Dman will cost a lot. So it is a good thing to know which of the kids can play and are ready.

Holland's not in a position to be crafty like that. The people that are playing are playing simply because they're the best guys that aren't injured.

But as s***ty as the situation is, it's obviously a plus that many of our assets are getting some great exposure and no doubt that in some cases, their value will increase.

And I'll believe that Holland will trade for a top defenseman when I see it. I know we need it to really balance the team and defense out, but I don't think Holland's going to get it done. If he hasn't gotten it done year after year despite losing Rafalski, Stuart and Lidstrom, what's going to magically change now? Holland's more apt to hold on to guys in our system when they show flashes of brilliance, despite the fact that on several occasions, it's come back to bite him in the ass when guys sour on Detroit, the system, or just generally fall into a funk and struggle. It's important to keep guys that contribute and have potential, but it's a gamble, and it wouldn't be a bad idea to gamble on trading them when they're hot to bring in more proven talent. Especially when we really, clearly need a legit 1-2 defenseman to make this team consistently competitive.

Whether he's in that position or not, it's a secondary trait from what is born of necessity.

I don't think we can undervalue the effect it is having... whether it's a desired situation or not.

Nothing is going to change if the trade isn't there to be made.

Additionally, Holland is not going to overpay in Free Agency for players that just aren't worth it.

So, for as much as I want a trade to happen for a top defenseman... I doubt it will happen unless the right deal can be made.

I, for one, am happy for that.

On the flipside of that coin... Holland will probably re-sign Quincey which will lead to me having a heart-attack sometime during the playoff push next year.

Edited by e_prime

Whether he's in that position or not, it's a secondary trait from what is born of necessity.

I don't think we can undervalue the effect it is having... whether it's a desired situation or not.

Nothing is going to change if the trade isn't there to be made.

Additionally, Holland is not going to overpay in Free Agency for players that just aren't worth it.

So, for as much as I want a trade to happen for a top defenseman... I doubt it will happen unless the right deal can be made.

I, for one, am happy for that.

On the flipside of that coin... Holland will probably re-sign Quincey which will lead to me having a heart-attack sometime during the playoff push next year.

I'm no fan of overpaying guys either, but Holland's absolutely been overpaying numerous players for awhile now. Just because they're not high end players doesn't mean that they're not blatantly overpaid.

So if none of them are high end players, yet their salaries combined meet or exceed a higher end player's salary, it begs the question, if you're going to throw away millions, and on top of that have cap space to spare, why not spend more money on a higher-end player that at worst will still make your team more competitive most nights?

I don't think we're in an era that lends itself to finding perfect trade and free agency situations. There's always going to be compromises that have to be made. But it's all the more true and will only get worse as Detroit continues to lose hold of it's reputation as a destination franchise. And we are not a destination franchise right now; we don't have the leverage we had ten years ago.

We're going to have to do something that isn't exactly ideal to bring in a player or players that make this team a true contender, and it'd be a shame not to while Dats and Z are still here because we're really not far off right now. Many will bemoan the price we'll have to pay, but that's what happens when you don't better take advantage of good situations when you can and go above and beyond to prepare for major transitions before your back is up against a wall. And things aren't going to get better as Dats ages and Z gets more brittle.

Holland needs to make a statement move before we slip further down players lists of teams they'd sign with or waive their no trade clauses for. If you thought it was hard to find guys at the right prices now, it's only going to get worse as we slip down the list of destination teams.

Holland is gong to have to overpay a UFA to lure him here. The trades going to be costly because every team knows how bad we need a defender...look t how much Leggy cost us compare to other pending UFA's that were traded that day. I like Leggy here and hope he resigns, heck he is on a pace to score 50+ points if he played the entire season here in Detroit.

No longer is there a lore of playing in Detroit. At least not as much as it used to be. Face it, we have replaced, Hull, Yzerman, Shanahan, Fedorov, Robitaille and Larionov with Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Franzen, Weiss, Bertuzzi and Legwand. All respect to Pav and Z and my like for Leggy, but that is like Apples and rock salt. Not to even mention Lidstrom, Raffi and Stuart replaced by Kronwall. Ericsson and Kindl.

Oh, and then there is Hasek, Osgood replaced by Ugh and Monster....players just don't see it, so Holland is going to have to overpay to get a UFA and pay a hefty price to get that #1-2 defenseman....