• Please log in to reply
858 replies to this topic

#841 GoWings!

GoWings!

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 08:26 AM

Bad. Outplayed in pretty much every aspect. Out muscled and beaten by another backup goalie. I can't name anyone on the BJ's that are great but man we made Brandon Dubinsky look like Stamkos. As bad as we played, the game was still winnable. Can we trade Howard every 3rd period? Just once I'd love him to not give up a goal in the 3rd period.

Edited by GoWings!, 26 March 2014 - 09:24 AM.

#842 number9

number9

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,204 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 09:14 AM

FOs becoming a real issue

#843 Andy Pred 48

Andy Pred 48

Coming soon,"the slovak line" Marek and 2 Toms!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 09:25 AM

i still think if we can go .500 the remainder of the season we'll get in the p/o's. 

6 wins not unreal ?

"What are you guys doing?" Reggie Dunlop
"Putting on the foil coach" Jeff Hanson
"Yeah, every game, you want some coach?" Steve Hanson
"Er, no. No thanks guys." Reggie Dunlop
"Make sure they don't leave the bench!" Reggie Dunlop.

#844 beachwing

beachwing

Reader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 09:30 AM

Bert really had a rough game outsde of giving bob the flu after period 1.
I love Bert but he is a detriment right now, turnovers penalties and slop.

#845 Dave

Dave

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 09:41 AM

Outside of the kid line i don't think anybody had a particularly good game. Even the kid line got hemmed in their own zone for entire shifts. Howard made some big saves, but he couldn't single handedly will the team to victory, which he shouldn't have to. 

Honestly I don't know what this team needs. Probably for kindl and bert to not be on it. Outside of that I don't know what will work.

#846 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,569 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 09:53 AM

The Bert hate around here is absurd.  First of all, he didn't have a terrible game minus the penalty at the beginning which was incidental and happens a thousand times a week in the NHL.  Secondly, Bert's not an X factor on this team.  He's a washed up injury replacement who wouldn't be playing on a healthy roster.  We neither win nor lose based on Bert's play.  Wanna blame anyone?  Blame Kronwall, Alfie, and Franzen for not showing up in a week (at least).  Oh, and our terrible defense. 

Everybody around here always thinks that the reason we're no good some nights is because a third liner or bottom pair defenseman isn't very good...as if other teams don't have those too.  Guess what?  Boston's Shawn Thornton isn't very good and has, almost certainly, taken dumb penalties/got outclassed by more skilled players to the detriment of his team.  Yet they win anyway.  Why?  They don't rely on bottom line players to win them games.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#847 darkmanx

darkmanx

Toronto's Finest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,617 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 10:08 AM

The Bert hate around here is absurd.  First of all, he didn't have a terrible game minus the penalty at the beginning which was incidental and happens a thousand times a week in the NHL.  Secondly, Bert's not an X factor on this team.  He's a washed up injury replacement who wouldn't be playing on a healthy roster.  We neither win nor lose based on Bert's play.  Wanna blame anyone?  Blame Kronwall, Alfie, and Franzen for not showing up in a week (at least).  Oh, and our terrible defense. 

Everybody around here always thinks that the reason we're no good some nights is because a third liner or bottom pair defenseman isn't very good...as if other teams don't have those too.  Guess what?  Boston's Shawn Thornton isn't very good and has, almost certainly, taken dumb penalties/got outclassed by more skilled players to the detriment of his team.  Yet they win anyway.  Why?  They don't rely on bottom line players to win them games.

They also don't have 11 AHL players in the lineup. Take away Boston's entire top 6, plus another defensemen and let's see how they do. Easy to say other teams that are healthy top players always perform when the Wings have maybe 6 regular NHL players in the lineup and are easy to shut down because you can just focus all the pressure on them.

As for Bert, I usually am a big supporter of him, but if you watched last night you would see some of the dumb decisions he makes with the puck. Instead of dumping it in when he is on the wing he will almost always try to throw a pass across to the other wing which 99% of the time gets picked off and creates rushes the other way unexpectedly. I noticed him do this at least 6-7 times yesterday. He is not helping this team at all and would much rather Pulk played in his position. Bert tries to force plays sometimes and it is a determent to this teams play.

This season has hopefully taught management one thing i hope, and it's let the kids play and get rid of the old farts.

#848 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,569 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 10:18 AM

They also don't have 11 AHL players in the lineup. Take away Boston's entire top 6, plus another defensemen and let's see how they do. Easy to say other teams that are healthy top players always perform when the Wings have maybe 6 regular NHL players in the lineup and are easy to shut down because you can just focus all the pressure on them.

As for Bert, I usually am a big supporter of him, but if you watched last night you would see some of the dumb decisions he makes with the puck. Instead of dumping it in when he is on the wing he will almost always try to throw a pass across to the other wing which 99% of the time gets picked off and creates rushes the other way unexpectedly. I noticed him do this at least 6-7 times yesterday. He is not helping this team at all and would much rather Pulk played in his position. Bert tries to force plays sometimes and it is a determent to this teams play.

This season has hopefully taught management one thing i hope, and it's let the kids play and get rid of the old farts.

Addressing your point about Boston, I agree.  If the Bruins where missing pieces like we are they'd probably struggle too.  And when they did I sure hope their fan base wouldn't go blaming loses on their third line wingers and bottom pair defensemen.  Because that would be misguided...and stupid. 

Of course Bertuzzi makes bad plays, he's a washed up veteran who can hardly skate.  But replacing him with a kid who's clearly not ready for NHL competition doesn't help you at all either.  Because guess who else makes bad plays?  Kids who are in over their heads.  For the time being we've got nobody better to play on this patched up third line than Bert.  When Jurco's back it probably won't be an issue anymore.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

#849 Rhah

Rhah

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 11:01 AM

Last night I tried to find commentary from the fine forum folks about the high stick that hit Drew Miller. So, if Bertuzzi had his head turned and didn't even try to hit guy with stick and it HAD to be called a high stick because you are always responsible for your stick. Then why was the high stick that hit Drew Miller not a must-call, yes he was hit by our guy which caused his stick to come up and hit Miller, but there is no gray area, you are always responsible for your stick?

Also, I apologize now for the loss. Its my fault because I actually knew how important this game was and started watching right at gametime, kicking my kid's cartoons off the air, not putting them to bed claiming to my wife when she asked why I was watching ("is it the playoffs? no but its super important game to get in the playoffs") and why I was shirking my family responsibilities.

#850 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,926 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 11:59 AM

Hopefully the hockey gods can bless us down the stretch because lately we have been winning despite some bad breaks.

If Nyquist has not been the best player in the NHL we don't win any of these close games. Other guys truly need to get on the score sheet consistently or we won't make the playoffs

#851 beachwing

beachwing

Reader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 12:00 PM

I'm never blame a loss on one player ever. Hundreds of things happen in a game that decide its outcome. However, Alfie, Kron and Mule need to step up. Time to lead by example.

My Bert opinion is simply he is a detriment. I notice him for all the wrong reasons, the refs do as well, he will NEVER get the benefit of doubt on a call, the call will always go against.

Im a huge Bert fan and root like crazy for the guy, but I feel if there is some youthful and responsible skater to swap him out for we need to whenever possible. Easier said than done with our depleted roster.

Edited by beachwing, 26 March 2014 - 12:01 PM.

#852 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,926 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 12:02 PM

I thought Bert played a couple good games for us before he was sidelined, but he was dreadful yesterday. Kindl seems to be getting worse and worse with every game

#853 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,569 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 12:07 PM

I thought Bert played a couple good games for us before he was sidelined, but he was dreadful yesterday. Kindl seems to be getting worse and worse with every game

Which do you think is more likely...

Kindl is actually regressing as a player each and every game and very soon he'll be worse than when he started.

or...

He's the same crummy player he's been all season, but since he's your whipping boy you're just spending more time scrutinizing each and every little thing he's doing wrong. 

Edited by kipwinger, 26 March 2014 - 12:07 PM.

#854 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,926 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 12:29 PM

Fact is, our Defense is going to be sketchy so our forwards all gotta buy in defensively and Jimmy has to play great (I think he has down the stretch)

If our first line doesn't chip in consistently then I don't like our chances

#855 wings4thecup06

wings4thecup06

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 797 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 02:23 PM

Last night I tried to find commentary from the fine forum folks about the high stick that hit Drew Miller. So, if Bertuzzi had his head turned and didn't even try to hit guy with stick and it HAD to be called a high stick because you are always responsible for your stick. Then why was the high stick that hit Drew Miller not a must-call, yes he was hit by our guy which caused his stick to come up and hit Miller, but there is no gray area, you are always responsible for your stick?

Also, I apologize now for the loss. Its my fault because I actually knew how important this game was and started watching right at gametime, kicking my kid's cartoons off the air, not putting them to bed claiming to my wife when she asked why I was watching ("is it the playoffs? no but its super important game to get in the playoffs") and why I was shirking my family responsibilities.

Nah more likely to be my fault. Stayed up till 2am to watch it live over here. Every time I've done that this month the Wings have lost, so I'll be watching thursdays game on friday now. 

temp 1

#856 Andy Pred 48

Andy Pred 48

Coming soon,"the slovak line" Marek and 2 Toms!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 04:52 PM

Nah more likely to be my fault. Stayed up till 2am to watch it live over here. Every time I've done that this month the Wings have lost, so I'll be watching thursdays game on friday now. 

i feel asleep at the end of the 2nd after we had worked hard to get back into. Woke up to see we had our normal 3rd period : (

Anyway, will Babs break up the kid line and put Gus back on one of the top lines or will he leave it as it is and put Jurco on top line?

"What are you guys doing?" Reggie Dunlop
"Putting on the foil coach" Jeff Hanson
"Yeah, every game, you want some coach?" Steve Hanson
"Er, no. No thanks guys." Reggie Dunlop
"Make sure they don't leave the bench!" Reggie Dunlop.

#857 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 05:33 PM

No need to fight over who's fault it is, I have no problem irrationally blaming both of you.

"He usually shows up when the game is over and tries to be the hero. Puts his cape on and goes and flies out there." ~ Franzen 

#858 wings4thecup06

wings4thecup06

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 797 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 08:18 PM

i feel asleep at the end of the 2nd after we had worked hard to get back into. Woke up to see we had our normal 3rd period : (

Anyway, will Babs break up the kid line and put Gus back on one of the top lines or will he leave it as it is and put Jurco on top line?

I reckon that's most likely, seeing as the top line has struggled the last couple. No doubt that will mean Alife will be back on a checking line though...

temp 1

#859 GoWings!

GoWings!

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 11:31 AM

I hope the interested Franzen shows up soon or we are gonna miss. Gotta grow a pair in these close games and really want it. These 3rd periods are a horror show. I like Bert but he stinks. Plain and simple. Slow and always called for penalties whether he is really guilty or not. He's a liability. Kindl plays about half of how big he is on the ice. Leaders gotta be leaders now.