• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
number9

UFA/RFA Re-Signing, What Does Everyone Get?

Rate this topic

IMO this offseason is about re-signing the right contracts and adding a D-man. Wondering what everyone thinks about our expiring contracts and what they will get. I think Alfredsson (retirement) Bertuzzi (retirement) and Cleary (sucks) will be gone, but I listed them anyway in case they come back.

Player - CapHit - Age
Legwand (4.5) (33)
Alfredsson (3.5) (41)
Bertuzzi (2.075) (39)
Cleary (1.75) (35)
Sheahan (785) (22)
Tatar (630) (23)
Glendening (575) (24)
Quincey (3.775) (28)
DeKeyser (925) (24)
Gustavsson (1.5) (29)

Didn't list contracts that likely won't go up or down by much, aka the Almqvists of the world.

Bertuzzi (2.075) (39) DELETE
Cleary (1.75) (35) DELETE

Quincey (3.775) (28) DELETE

Legwand (4.0) (33) KEEP
Alfredsson (4.0) (41) KEEP
Sheahan (500) (22) KEEP
Tatar (925) (23) KEEP
Glendening (450) (24) KEEP
DeKeyser (925) (24) KEEP
Gustavsson (2.5) (29) KEEP

Why should Sheahan get more than Tatar? Just pulled these numbers out of my

Edited by themcityblues

Bertuzzi (2.075) (39) DELETE

Cleary (1.75) (35) DELETE

Quincey (3.775) (28) DELETE

Legwand (4.0) (33) KEEP

Alfredsson (4.0) (41) KEEP

Sheahan (500) (22) KEEP

Tatar (925) (23) KEEP

Glendening (450) (24) KEEP

DeKeyser (925) (24) KEEP

Gustavsson (2.5) (29) KEEP

Why should Sheahan get more than Tatar? Just pulled these numbers out of my

I think the numbers listed relate to current salary.

Also, (directed at OP) I don't think Cleary, Bert, Sammy or Alfie will return at all. Not even worth discussing their re-signing, I think it's just not going to happen. Gus is going to be hard to fit in at a reasonable price considering he's likely to get some good teams throwing money at him.

I think the numbers listed relate to current salary.

Also, (directed at OP) I don't think Cleary, Bert, Sammy or Alfie will return at all. Not even worth discussing their re-signing, I think it's just not going to happen. Gus is going to be hard to fit in at a reasonable price considering he's likely to get some good teams throwing money at him.

I agree with all of this. Yes that is currently salary lol, I was hoping you guys would speculate what they would get in a new deal. When it comes to Gus I don't think Mrazek is ready, or at least I think Holland wants him playing in GR longer. And he's had success here with his countrymen so I feel like that's motivation to stay a few more and ignore other teams.

Only 2 games in but I already like Legwand much more than Weiss. Weiss has a lot of proving himself to do otherwise we should explore the possibility of moving him or worst case, buying him out. Keep Leggy on a 2-3 year deal at 4-5 mil.

Alfie would be nice to keep at a reduced paycheck. But I think there's a posssibility he retires. I also want to wait and see how he plays out the rest of this season. I see him as a very valuable piece if we make the playoffs, but right now he's pretty invisible and without Pavel to feed him on the PP he's not been as effective there either.

Bertuzzi, Cleary and Sammy gone. Bert's playing dangerously okay right now, but Kenny better not get any ideas. We need to lose these guys.

Dekeyser I'd like to see on one of those bridge contracts. Something like 3-4 years, maybe "overpaid" at first but hopefully a steal at the end of the deal. Lock him up at least.

Tatar is a no-brainer. Give him what he wants.

Gustavsson I'm iffy on. He's been getting things done this season, but he's also unreliable health-wise and Mrazek is probably very close if not ready to be the backup. I don't know.

I hope Quincey gets a car so he can drive away.

For as bad as he's been, and as much as I've hated him... he hasn't been awful lately. Past 10-20 games he's been mostly solid actually. I hope Holland looks at every possible way to upgrade our defense, but I wouldn't jump off a bridge if we sign Q to a 1-2 year deal for fairly cheap (no NTC!!) while we move Kindl and bring up Marchenko/Almqvist. Ideally our kids will develop if we can't bring in outside help, improving our defense anyway.

Bertuzzi (someone I've heralded in the past) is playing terrible now. Even the few points hes been getting aren't special. IMO he's looked to be a liability on the ice lately. No sense of where to be offensively or defensively. IMO he's done.

I think it's pretty reasonable to assume Bert will be back with a paycut, say 1.25m or something -- similar to Cleary. He's not as bad as Cleary and seems like he won't just hang them up without a fight. That being said I don't think he's been good. I liked him last year. This year is clearly his worst.

Edited by themcityblues

I think it's pretty reasonable to assume Bert will be back with a paycut, say 1.25m or something -- similar to Cleary. He's not as bad as Cleary and seems like he won't just hang them up without a fight. That being said I don't think he's been good. I liked him last year. This year is clearly his worst.

he's also 39 which says he may be done.

For as bad as he's been, and as much as I've hated him... he hasn't been awful lately. Past 10-20 games he's been mostly solid actually. I hope Holland looks at every possible way to upgrade our defense, but I wouldn't jump off a bridge if we sign Q to a 1-2 year deal for fairly cheap (no NTC!!) while we move Kindl and bring up Marchenko/Almqvist. Ideally our kids will develop if we can't bring in outside help, improving our defense anyway.

I've actually had the feeling all season that Holland will resign Quincey, he hates giving up assets for nothing and he did give up a 1st round pick for Quincey. I just hope that Holland takes a look at this defense and realizes that real changes have to be made; not just patching over some holes.

Bertuzzi (someone I've heralded in the past) is playing terrible now. Even the few points hes been getting aren't special. IMO he's looked to be a liability on the ice lately. No sense of where to be offensively or defensively. IMO he's done.

Whaaa... Bert has been solid since being called up and I'm a bonafide Bertuzzi hater. 4th line looks like a scoring threat I'd keep that group together when healthy.

I've actually had the feeling all season that Holland will resign Quincey, he hates giving up assets for nothing and he did give up a 1st round pick for Quincey. I just hope that Holland takes a look at this defense and realizes that real changes have to be made; not just patching over some holes.

Sign and... trade? Oh, wouldn't that be a nice change of pace for KH.

We are full at the inn, no need to bring back most/all of the old UFA's.

Baring trades of course we already have the following lineup for next season:

Z-Dat-Franzen

Jurco-Weiss-tatar

Nyquist-Helm-Pulk

Abby-Sheahan-Callahan

Miller-Andersson-Glendening

E-Kronwall

Dekeyser-Smith

Lashoff-Kindl

Almqvist

Howard

McCollom

The only one of our UFA's that I am interested in bring back is Legwand, but we need to open a spot for him first. If resigned-in the 2.5-3 million range that frees up Helm, Andersson and 1 more to make a move.

Alfredsson gets around $4 mil

Legwand gets $4 mil

Dekeyser gets $1.8 mil

Tatar $1.1 mil

Sheahan $925k

Glendening, Callahan, and Ferraro get around $600k

Quincey might get $2 mil but it will be later in the process if they can't upgrade and don't want to bring up a rookie

Almquist, Bertuzzi, and Cleary are gone.

The RFA guys have little leverage do they get less than they probably deserve. Tatar gets a bit more than Nyquist because he's proven more than Nyquist had before he signed his contract. No room for Almquist. Bert gets an off ice job. Cleary moves on, no room for him.

Isolating the forward group here a minute, and this is getting nuts.

IMO, the wings will look to re-sign Legwand, initially on the fact that he's a local guy who's delighted to be playing here, but now also for the way he's playing (if of course, that continues). Maybe a 3 year deal or so worth $4 mil per

Alfredsson has said at numerous times this year he's really enjoying things, and I think that will continue. He's shown he's got all the tools to be an effective player night in night out. I think there's a good chance he'll come back on a 1 year deal, maybe $3.5

Assuming that Bertuzzi and Cleary are gone, that leaves us in a huge pickle. Look at this:

40-13-93

90-17-14

26-15-21

Who the hell is going to fill out that fourth line?

Helm

Abdelkader

Andersson

Miller

Glendening

Alfredsson

And that's not even counting Callahan and Ferraro

A couple of guys will have to be moved - maybe at the draft to get a good D guy. Even if Legwand and Alfie don't come back, we're still going to have to move a body or two. The kids need to play, and I hope management recognises that. We have a stock of good players that we can use to acquire a good D man, and I wouldn't mind betting that Kindl would be included in the package - seen as a former 1st round pick/reclamation project type. I'm excited about the remainder of this year, but the off-season could be really interesting too

My best guess would be...

UFA's

Legwand - $4.5M

Alfredsson - $3.5M

Bertuzzi - GONE

Cleary - GONE

Samuelsson - GONE

Quincey - $2.75M

Gustavsson - $2M

RFA's

Tatar - $1.25M

Sheahan $950K

Glendenning - $700K

Ferraro - $700K

Callahan - $650K

Emmerton - GONE

Almquist - $700K

- I agree (and hope) Bert will retire
- I don't see any of the RFAs earning more than 2 mil

- If Alfie comes back, I would think that 4 mil is fair (comparable to Franzen)

- If Legwand wants to come back, I would hope they could make it happen for under 3.5, given that he'll be 34. Likely the longer they sign him, the less he'd be willing to accept
- I also don't necessarily see Jurco and Glendening have guaranteed spots on the roster. If they can play in GR, I think Detroit would be happy to have them as call ups - this is true depth, and needed, given that so many of our players have serious injury problems
- Depending on what is done with the GR players who are not roster exempt, as well as Alfie (and whether Tootoo is bought out) I think this will affect whether Cleary would be offered a contract as the 13th forward -- if so, 1mil. They do like him in the dressing room and everything they said at the start of the year suggested they would try to resign him. Hopefully the emergence of their younger guys will allow them to cut bait on him. I love Danny's heart but I'm not sure he's got much left in the tank. Personally I'd rather hold onto Jordin Tootoo, already under contract at 1.9, than have Cleary at a similar rate, since Tootoo offers a more physical element (and frankly, deserves better than the AHL)
- I doubt Quincey will accept much of a pay cut so I see him resigned at a similar rate or replaced by another player at a similar rate

- Gus returns at 2mil, one year; or another NHL tender. With Mrazek close, I think they could risk it on Gus, despite the potential for injury.

Z (6) - Dats (7.5) - Franzen (4)
Leggy* (3.5) - Weiss (4.9) - Alfie* (4)
Nyquist (.95) - Helm (1.2) - Tatar (1.2)

Miller (1.35) - Andersson (.95) - Abby (1.8)

Sheahan (.95) and 1-3* of Tootoo/Cleary/Callahan/Ferraro (or Almquist, if they carry 8 D)

Kronner (4.75) - E (4.25)
DK (1.5) - Smith (1.25)
Kindl (2.4) - Q (3.75)
Lashoff (.725)

Howie (5.3)
Gus (2)

If the salary cap is 71 million, Detroit would still have 4-5 mill in cap space roughly based on these salaries.

My hope is that if Alfie doesn't come back, we pursue one of the snipers in free agency to replace him.

And then Kenny figures out the hodge podge that is the 4th line. It should be easier to trade guys that others teams would actually want...

In any case, the emergence of that 3rd line makes our future look a whole lot brighter. IMO that is the sign of a strong team: having a dangerous 3rd line. When we were going to the Finals, our 3rd line was Samuelsson (20 goal Sammy) - Fillypoola- Hoodler.

The Bertuzzi-Moore lawsuit is scheduled to go to trial around the start of next season. I cannot see Mike Illitch wanting to be Bertuzzi's employer when that black eye for hockey comes back into public focus. For that reason as well as his obviously declining play, I don't think Bert will be back next season.

The only way Jurco stays is if they only sign one free agent. If they sign 2 guys there's no room for him. They have 7 players who are under contract or are restricted free agents who slot into the top 3 lines, including Helm who they will assume will play. Two free agents will fill out the top 9 spots. I expect Legwand to sign a 2 or 3 year extension for around $4 mil, and for Alfredsson to come back at around $4 mil. That leaves some combination of:

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Alfredsson

Franzen-Legwand-Nyquist

Tatar-Helm-Weiss

If Helm has more issues (at least he's out with a mild concussion now, if it was his back I'd be more worried) then I think Jurco gets the call, Weiss or Legwand centers the 3rd between Tatar and Jurco.

That leaves Miller, Sheahan, Abdelkader on the 4th line, with Andersson, Callahan, Glendening, and Ferraro fighting for the 2 reserve spots.

Even if they only sign one forward, Jurco doesn't have to clear waivers, so I think that means he will be in GR. Sheahan, Abdlekader, or Andersson will get a scoring line role and one less player will be exposed to waivers.

A trade is also possible. Kesler should be available, and if Sheahan has a good run towards the end of the season and the playoffs, a package of Sheahan, Tatar, and Kindl might get it done. If so, Detroit has to seriously consider it.