• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
number9

UFA/RFA Re-Signing, What Does Everyone Get?

Rate this topic

Don't forget Alfie has a bonus next season that counts against the cap. $2.5 million, I think. So trchnically he agreed to play here for $5. Unless a second year was part of a gentleman's agreement he will command about $5 million more, giving him a cap hit of about $7 million, I think.

Unless they finagle a two year deal for less. Still, I want him back. But playing him on the third is one of the dumber things Babcock has done.

But we could do another deal with playing bonuses and push some that cap hit to the following year again.

Breaking up the kid line or the Gus-Mule-Leg would be worse i think than having Alfie on the the 3rd. If it's so dumb, what's the alternative?

Andersson isn't the 3rd center anymore because he went 12 games without a point, simple as that. Emmerton isn't the answer either. Their only real option would be to put Nyquist on Alfredsson's line and Abdelkader with Franzen and Legwand. Given the crap game the entire team had yesterday, I wouldn't be shocked to see a shakeup like that.

I would prefer:

Z - Dats - Alfie

Nyquist - Legwand - Franzen

Tatar - Helm - Abby

Sheahan - Weiss - Mantha

Assuming everyone is healthy, which especially for Helm is not going to happen...

Why those lines? Offense would be an absolute terror. If i recall correctly, Pavs had 48 points in 45 games last season DESPITE his wingers being (offensive) scrubs like Cleary and Abby. He could set them up for empty netters 4-5 times a game and they still would blow every chance. Now pair him with Z and Alfie..oh boy. :D

2nd line already showed us what it possibly can produce, and improved chemistry won't worsen that..

3rd line has the potential to completely frustrate opposition everywhere on the ice from a defensive standpoint AND would be dangerous, too.

4th line, get Mantha playing time in the NHL. In that setup we could easily afford some mistakes in the learning process but profit long-term because of the experience he gains.

I don't understand why so many are so willing to bring back 40 year olds instead of playing the youth. makes no sense. we don't need Alfie back, nor cleary, nor bert etc..... we have a top line of Z-Dat-franzen for next year. we have several good young F's: nyquist, tatar, jurco, Sheahan and pulk that need to play. add in grinders like helm, abby, legwand if he comes back, Weiss if healthy, miller and glendening and we already have 14 forwards. We also have a lot of cap space. If spending the money and trying to add talent is the plan-I hope it is, then go after vanek-40 goal guy, moulson-30 goal guy, and Callahan-25 goal guy.

I don't understand why so many are so willing to bring back 40 year olds instead of playing the youth. makes no sense. we don't need Alfie back, nor cleary, nor bert etc..... we have a top line of Z-Dat-franzen for next year. we have several good young F's: nyquist, tatar, jurco, Sheahan and pulk that need to play. add in grinders like helm, abby, legwand if he comes back, Weiss if healthy, miller and glendening and we already have 14 forwards. We also have a lot of cap space. If spending the money and trying to add talent is the plan-I hope it is, then go after vanek-40 goal guy, moulson-30 goal guy, and Callahan-25 goal guy.

Considering you lumped in Alfie with Cleary and Bert it's really not surprising that you don't understand...

ya, those 6 extra goals he has is worth the 2.5 extra million we pay him...... he isn't even going to score 20 goals this year.

remember the beginning of the year, when everyone and I do mean everyone was bitching about tatar and nyquist needing to play, be consistent. No need to waste money and roster spots of washed up players. No matter how great they USED to be.

Isolating the forward group here a minute, and this is getting nuts.

IMO, the wings will look to re-sign Legwand, initially on the fact that he's a local guy who's delighted to be playing here, but now also for the way he's playing (if of course, that continues). Maybe a 3 year deal or so worth $4 mil per

Alfredsson has said at numerous times this year he's really enjoying things, and I think that will continue. He's shown he's got all the tools to be an effective player night in night out. I think there's a good chance he'll come back on a 1 year deal, maybe $3.5

Assuming that Bertuzzi and Cleary are gone, that leaves us in a huge pickle. Look at this:

40-13-93

90-17-14

26-15-21

Who the hell is going to fill out that fourth line?

Helm

Abdelkader

Andersson

Miller

Glendening

Alfredsson

We will need all of thes epeople because 8 pf the above players will spend next year injured!

And that's not even counting Callahan and Ferraro

A couple of guys will have to be moved - maybe at the draft to get a good D guy. Even if Legwand and Alfie don't come back, we're still going to have to move a body or two. The kids need to play, and I hope management recognises that. We have a stock of good players that we can use to acquire a good D man, and I wouldn't mind betting that Kindl would be included in the package - seen as a former 1st round pick/reclamation project type. I'm excited about the remainder of this year, but the off-season could be really interesting too

We have a ton of guys that play then same role.....IF we can remain healthy....

ya, those 6 extra goals he has is worth the 2.5 extra million we pay him...... he isn't even going to score 20 goals this year.

remember the beginning of the year, when everyone and I do mean everyone was bitching about tatar and nyquist needing to play, be consistent. No need to waste money and roster spots of washed up players. No matter how great they USED to be.

Yeah you don't really get it.

Games Played Points

Alfie 53 37

Nyquist 40 32

Tatar 56 26

Bert 50 15 (-16 by the way)

Cleary 52 8 (-11 by the way)

We wanted the young guys on the team not because they are young, but because they contribute more than Cleary and Bert. Thats the main point here.

Alfie isn't in that category of old and useless. Alfie is 3rd on the team in points! He contributes to the success of the team. You want to get rid of the 3rd leading scorer because he's old?

So yes, we are being consistent. We consistently want players who contribute, and want to get rid of the ones who don't. It doesn't matter how old they are.

Edited by roboturner

Alfie, while he has been slumping a bit recently, is a guy who I would take back in a heartbeat. Solid veteran presence, battles hard along the boards for the puck, not afraid to get involved physically, still skates really well and has a terrific shot. At the right price there is no reason NOT to bring him back IMO.

I'm all for bringing the kids up, but at least let them take roster spots that actually benefit the team - clearly, bert etc.

One way or another it looks like we'll have good depth upfront!

Where I am concerned most is our defence. Lots of chatter about whether or not to keep Quincey but the other reality is that he may not want to stay, especially for what Detroit may be wiling to offer, and there isn't a lot of depth out there in the UFA market. The good players will seek a premium, and Quincey is one of the few UFA dmen who is still in his 20 and also averages over 20 minutes a night.

I think it's fair to say that the success of this team has been built on quality defensemen in the past. These are the guys who have to spend the most time on the ice. Having Ericsson, Quincey, Dekeyser among your top minute guys just isn't good enough right now...not to say they aren't good players but as a top 4 unit (with Kronwall), they aren't strong enough.

In a perfect world, I'd like to see the Wings add an offensive guy (Boyle or Zidlicky are a couple right handed shooters who come to mind). But mostly I think we need a steady defensive guy: I think Matt Greene would be a great fit if he is unsigned after July 1st. I think both Kindl and Smith can move the puck and would excel with a steady stay at home guy like that. I don't think Quincey (who is prone to mistakes and doesn't seem to offer any offense these days) or Lashoff (who plays sheltered minutes) are the answers.

If we commit more of our cap dollars to the players who play the most -- the D-men -- I think we would be looking at much better result at this time next year.

A question I have is do we re-sign Monster? And for how long?

If we don't Mrazek gets more NHL playing time and we get a lower cap hit. The problem is who would be our third guy? Coreau? He hasn't been good since leaving college. Paterson? Too young. Re-sign McCollum? Who's found his form again this season.

Gotta think Gustavsson will get re-signed, but I doubt he'll want a 1 year deal. Another 2 year?

I for one might be ok with giving McCollum another try

A question I have is do we re-sign Monster? And for how long?

If we don't Mrazek gets more NHL playing time and we get a lower cap hit. The problem is who would be our third guy? Coreau? He hasn't been good since leaving college. Paterson? Too young. Re-sign McCollum? Who's found his form again this season.

Gotta think Gustavsson will get re-signed, but I doubt he'll want a 1 year deal. Another 2 year?

I for one might be ok with giving McCollum another try

Would be nice to give Mrazek a shot at the back up role but given Jimmy's shaky season my bet would be that they'll try to bring in someone with more NHL experience. The Monster is an option. Just the other week I was thinking he would be a shoe-in to resign. But based on this most recent injury it makes me wonder whether the Wings might decide "enough is enough." I think this is especially the case because, as you note, he would probably prefer a multi-year deal where the Wings only need a guy for one-year, in my view. Perhaps it will come down to whether he will want to continue his career here or not. He might get some two year offers elsewhere but I don't see anyone bringing him on to be a starter.

I think we either give Mrazek a shot or we sign another backup. Gus has been good but at this point I think Holland needs to go for iron-men who aren't injured every three games. With so many of the same players returning we need to improve durability where we can. The injuries have really hurt us the past few years.

some major decision's coming up for Kenny thats for sure.

RFA's ; Tatar, Glendening, Ferraro, Emmerton, Sheahan,Callahan,Nestrasil, Parkes, Coetzee at the forward spot.

On the blueline ; DeKeyeser, Almqvist, Nicastro, and Fournier.

UFA's Legwand, Samuelsson, Cleary, Alfredsson and Bertuzzi at Fwd with Quincey on D and Gustavsson in Net,

That amounts to nearly a full roster.

On the RFA situ;

I would say Kenny has already written up contracts for Tatar, Sheahan and DeKeyser as no brainers. Think Babs will

won't Glendening who will be a cheap serviceable 4th liner. The trio of Ferraro,Emmerton and Callahan will be either

offered an AHL contract or may walk themselves. Parkes is too good for Toledo but not good enough for the Griffs the

same could be said for Coetzee. The Griffs may offer these 2 contracts, but its the ECHL where they may end up long

term. Nestrasil is a borderline case. He has upped his output this year, so maybe he's given another look by the Griffs

but i doubt he's done enough to convince the Wings to offer him a deal.

Of the blueliners I feel Almqvist will be given a chance, maybe offered a 2 way deal by the Wings and unless used in a

trade deal I see him Q/B the Griffins blueline again next year and being the first call up for the Wings, but i also feel that

another NHL team may step in and offer him a spot. Fournier hasn't really lived up to his early promise and its either

another stint with the Walleye or its pastures new. Nicastro is a intriguing prospect. Detroit likes his size and his upside

but he still has to work out what role he is going to play. The Wings won't give up on him just yet and a full season in the

A next season will be whats on offer for Max.

the UFA situ in my view is pretty much straightforward but as we all know Kenny will throw in a curveball!

For the undeniable facts that the kids that have come in have more than held their own and outperformed

the vet they replaced then its thanks for your time here but its time to sever ties with the Wings.

Cleary, Bertuzzi and Samuelsson. Its difficult for Kenny I know but even he must realise its time to call it a day.

Legwand i'd offer a 2 year deal and if Alfie wants another year its his. What sort of money thou? As far as

Gustavsson goes i like him but he is very injury prone, so maybe its goodbye Jonas hello Petr. Now the big

one, Quincey ??????. Unless Kenny has something lined up we could have another year with the Q!! The

UFA pool is very shallow this coming market and youve heard it before from Ken, he knows the systems and

blah blah blah. I hope im wrong on that one as we deff need a top guy and the money Q gets would go along way to get a top pairing guy in a trade.