Photo
- - - - -

UFA/RFA Re-Signing, What Does Everyone Get?

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#61 larionov_8

larionov_8

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 04:51 PM

One way or another it looks like we'll have good depth upfront!

Where I am concerned most is our defence. Lots of chatter about whether or not to keep Quincey but the other reality is that he may not want to stay, especially for what Detroit may be wiling to offer, and there isn't a lot of depth out there in the UFA market. The good players will seek a premium, and Quincey is one of the few UFA dmen who is still in his 20 and also averages over 20 minutes a night.

I think it's fair to say that the success of this team has been built on quality defensemen in the past. These are the guys who have to spend the most time on the ice. Having Ericsson, Quincey, Dekeyser among your top minute guys just isn't good enough right now...not to say they aren't good players but as a top 4 unit (with Kronwall), they aren't strong enough.

In a perfect world, I'd like to see the Wings add an offensive guy (Boyle or Zidlicky are a couple right handed shooters who come to mind). But mostly I think we need a steady defensive guy: I think Matt Greene would be a great fit if he is unsigned after July 1st. I think both Kindl and Smith can move the puck and would excel with a steady stay at home guy like that. I don't think Quincey (who is prone to mistakes and doesn't seem to offer any offense these days) or Lashoff (who plays sheltered minutes) are the answers.

If we commit more of our cap dollars to the players who play the most -- the D-men -- I think we would be looking at much better result at this time next year.

#62 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,907 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 03:54 AM

A question I have is do we re-sign Monster? And for how long?

If we don't Mrazek gets more NHL playing time and we get a lower cap hit. The problem is who would be our third guy? Coreau? He hasn't been good since leaving college. Paterson? Too young. Re-sign McCollum? Who's found his form again this season.

Gotta think Gustavsson will get re-signed, but I doubt he'll want a 1 year deal. Another 2 year?

I for one might be ok with giving McCollum another try

#63 larionov_8

larionov_8

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 09:15 PM

A question I have is do we re-sign Monster? And for how long?

If we don't Mrazek gets more NHL playing time and we get a lower cap hit. The problem is who would be our third guy? Coreau? He hasn't been good since leaving college. Paterson? Too young. Re-sign McCollum? Who's found his form again this season.

Gotta think Gustavsson will get re-signed, but I doubt he'll want a 1 year deal. Another 2 year?

I for one might be ok with giving McCollum another try

Would be nice to give Mrazek a shot at the back up role but given Jimmy's shaky season my bet would be that they'll try to bring in someone with more NHL experience. The Monster is an option. Just the other week I was thinking he would be a shoe-in to resign. But based on this most recent injury it makes me wonder whether the Wings might decide "enough is enough." I think this is especially the case because, as you note, he would probably prefer a multi-year deal where the Wings only need a guy for one-year, in my view. Perhaps it will come down to whether he will want to continue his career here or not. He might get some two year offers elsewhere but I don't see anyone bringing him on to be a starter.    

#64 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,608 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 07:45 AM

I think we either give Mrazek a shot or we sign another backup. Gus has been good but at this point I think Holland needs to go for iron-men who aren't injured every three games. With so many of the same players returning we need to improve durability where we can. The injuries have really hurt us the past few years.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#65 Andy Pred 48

Andy Pred 48

Coming soon,"the slovak line" Marek and 2 Toms!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,885 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 07:14 AM

some major decision's coming up for Kenny thats for sure.

RFA's ;  Tatar, Glendening, Ferraro, Emmerton, Sheahan,Callahan,Nestrasil, Parkes, Coetzee at the forward spot.

On the blueline ; DeKeyeser, Almqvist, Nicastro, and Fournier.

UFA's Legwand, Samuelsson, Cleary, Alfredsson and Bertuzzi at Fwd with Quincey on D and Gustavsson in Net,

That amounts to nearly a full roster.

On the RFA situ;

I would say Kenny has already written up contracts for Tatar, Sheahan and DeKeyser as no brainers. Think Babs will 

won't Glendening who will be a cheap serviceable 4th liner. The trio of Ferraro,Emmerton and Callahan will be either

offered an AHL contract or may walk themselves. Parkes is too good for Toledo but not good enough for the Griffs the

same could be said for Coetzee. The Griffs may offer these 2 contracts, but its the ECHL where they may end up long

term. Nestrasil is a borderline case. He has upped his output this year, so maybe he's given another look by the Griffs

but i doubt he's done enough to convince the Wings to offer him a deal.

Of the blueliners I feel Almqvist will be given a chance, maybe offered a 2 way deal by the Wings and unless used in a

trade deal I see him Q/B the Griffins blueline again next year and being the first call up for the Wings, but i also feel that

another NHL team may step in and offer him a spot. Fournier hasn't really lived up to his early promise and its either  

another stint with the Walleye or its pastures new. Nicastro is a intriguing prospect. Detroit likes his size and his upside

but he still has to work out what role he is going to play. The Wings won't give up on him just yet and a full season in the

A next season will be whats on offer for Max.

the UFA situ in my view is pretty much straightforward but as we all know Kenny will throw in a curveball!

For the undeniable facts that the kids that have come in have more than held their own and outperformed

the vet they replaced then its thanks for your time here but its time to sever ties with the Wings.

Cleary, Bertuzzi and Samuelsson. Its difficult for Kenny I know but even he must realise its time to call it a day.

Legwand i'd offer a 2 year deal and if Alfie wants another year its his. What sort of money thou? As far as 

Gustavsson goes i like him but he is very injury prone, so maybe its goodbye Jonas hello Petr. Now the big

one, Quincey ??????. Unless Kenny has something lined up we could have another year with the Q!! The 

UFA pool is very shallow this coming market and youve heard it before from Ken, he knows the systems and

blah blah blah. I hope im wrong on that one as we deff need a top guy and the money Q gets would go along way to get a top pairing guy in a trade.

"What are you guys doing?" Reggie Dunlop
"Putting on the foil coach" Jeff Hanson
"Yeah, every game, you want some coach?" Steve Hanson
"Er, no. No thanks guys." Reggie Dunlop
"Make sure they don't leave the bench!" Reggie Dunlop.

#66 MabusIncarnate

MabusIncarnate

The Truth Is Out There

• Silver Booster Mod
  • 2,243 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 05:28 PM

In an ideal world we would only re-sign Legwand and Monster from that UFA list, but i'm sure some of the dead weight will get loyalty contracts. 

We can do better than Quincey for the money, must grab some D this offseason without a doubt.

13585921555_24551f5658.jpg