• Please log in to reply
767 replies to this topic

#761 GoWings!

GoWings!

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 07:17 AM

We can't afford to lose these important games down the stretch. I know the defense is terrible but our backup goalie has 4 regulation losses in 22 games. Maybe we can play him when the starting goalie keeps giving up 3-5 goals a game and 99% of these goals seem like they come in the 3rd period and usually with a 2 goal lead. I know you wanna rely on the dude who's making the money but at this point I would think you have to go with whatever works. At least give it a try. Can't hurt. Whether you love, hate or worship Jimmy we can all see that he simply doesn't have it this year. We scored 3 goals in the 3rd and still lost. He is the last man back. His mechanics are off and he has got zero confidence this year. I feel bad for him and of course I wanna see him do well but Babcock has to do whatever it takes to win. Bert, Kindl and Quincey do not deserve roster spots. The youth is what is keeping us in this playoff race. Andersson hasn't proven he deserves one either. The playoffs are within reach and you can't keep playing guys that cannot and will not get it done for us.

Edited by GoWings!, 28 March 2014 - 07:19 AM.

#762 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,560 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 07:44 AM

I'm not as worried about the rest of you. The pattern will hold, we win two or three ganesh, lose two or three games, and beat the good teams.

The only game I'm really concerned about is Toronto and Montreal.

Everything hinges on us winning one more point than Washington and Toronto, which is doable since they have similar win patterns.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#763 wings4thecup06

wings4thecup06

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 930 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 08:06 AM

This is what I see as potentially possible if the Wings get it together like they did last week:

Look at our remaining schedule:

Toronto - Win

Tampa Bay?

Boston

Buffalo - Win

Montreal?

Buffalo - Win

Pittsburgh?

Carolina - Win

St., Louis 

As far as I'm concerned, the ones in bold are winnable games that shouldn't cause the Wings too much problem if they play well

The ? ones I could possibly see us winning - for instance we've beaten the Penguins, and since then they've also lost Malkin. Montreal as we saw last night are beatable, as is Carey Price, if we just play our game. Tampa I'm not sure about but I wouldn't rule it out.

The scored through ones are games that I think are a write off. I might be wrong, but I don't see us beating Boston or St Louis, even if we get Datsyuk and Abby back right now. 

temp 1

#764 Ekmanc

Ekmanc

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 09:12 AM

Well hopefully St. Louis will have absolutely nothing to play for in that last game, they might even rest some of their players for the playoffs.

#765 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,698 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 10:16 AM

st. Louis has a lot to play for. The last 20 years as a matter of fact. All the playoff eliminations, all the regular season dominance. How much St. Louis love to be the team that knocks us out of a playoff birth? They owe it to their city to break our streak. I hope it doesn't come to that, but it is incentive for them to play us hard.

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Nestrasil, yes...Cleary....No!

Dump Q and K Now!

#766 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,436 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 01:14 PM

Except that it wasn't Holland at all.  Babs, Dats, and Z, wanted him back.  Holland's got a lot to be ashamed of (Tootoo, Sammy) but this one ain't on him.  Here's the quote...

"Nyquist could have made the Wings to start the season. But Holland signed 40-year-old free agent Daniel Alfredsson, and then he re-signed 34-year-old Dan Cleary in training camp. Cleary was a surprise, because he had bad knees and better offers elsewhere. But coach Mike Babcock wanted him back. The team leaders wanted him back from Howard to Zetterberg to Datsyuk. And he came back on a one-year deal worth $1.75 million, when he turned down the Wings offer of three years at $2.25 million per on July 5 and the Flyers, Florida Panthers and Winnipeg Jets were offering three years at $2.75 million per."

And here's the link...

http://sports.yahoo....161232581.html?

True. Holland did offer him 3 years at $2.25/year originally though, so that's on him, don't understand why Cleary would turn that offer down though

st. Louis has a lot to play for. The last 20 years as a matter of fact. All the playoff eliminations, all the regular season dominance. How much St. Louis love to be the team that knocks us out of a playoff birth? They owe it to their city to break our streak. I hope it doesn't come to that, but it is incentive for them to play us hard.

If that is the make it or break it game, we either play the best game we've ever played, or st. Louis beats us

#767 wings_fanatic

wings_fanatic

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 01:23 PM

I think when Pav comes back he is gonna be unreal and the team won't lose again until they eventually hoist the Cup in June.... one could only hope lol :P

But seriously, I think when he returns its going to be a HUGE lift for the team. Pav at 70% is better then any of the veterans currently playing at 100%. I am still very optimistic about this season. We are going to win both games this weekend and the board will be back to saying Babs should get coach of the year, and this will all be in the past.

#768 wings4thecup06

wings4thecup06

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 930 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 07:46 AM

I think when Pav comes back he is gonna be unreal and the team won't lose again until they eventually hoist the Cup in June.... one could only hope lol :P

But seriously, I think when he returns its going to be a HUGE lift for the team. Pav at 70% is better then any of the veterans currently playing at 100%. I am still very optimistic about this season. We are going to win both games this weekend and the board will be back to saying Babs should get coach of the year, and this will all be in the past.

A lot rests on tonights game I think. The Leafs have now lost 7 in a row. They're free falling like no other, and if we don;t beat them, I think that might be a pretty big bruise for our team. Conversely, the chance to put a nail in their coffin might just propel us further forward. 

temp 1