• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
toby91_ca

Ovechkin and ES

Rate this topic

Saw this at HFBoards (not sure why I was there...google search must have taken me there).

Ovechkin went the entire month of March without scoring a single even strength point. Apparently, he only has 7 ES assists all season. I checked the March stats, no even strength points....haven't checked the 7 assist stat though, so I'll just have to take the poster's word for it. So, this gave me a few thoughts:

1 - Wow

2 - Don't let the Caps get on the PP

3 - These stats probably help explain why the Caps might miss the playoffs.

Problem with Ovie is he hasn't evolved his game. He plays the same way now as he did when he came into the league. Sure he scores a lot of goals. But that is literally all he does. It is no surprise almost all of his scoring has been coming on the powerplay, as teams obviously know how to shut him down for the most part at even strength.

I've always viewed him as an alternate reality Fedorov. What if Feds hadn't been drafted by the Wings, hadn't played under Bowman, hadn't played alongside a slew of future Hall of Famers across a slew of very deep Wings teams funded by Mike Ilitch and his whatever-it-takes mandate? Would he have become an Alex Ovechkin? Or, to flip it around, What if Ovechkin had been drafted (or, more realistically, somehow acquired via trade) by the Wings? Would he be what he is?

I've always viewed him as an alternate reality Fedorov. What if Feds hadn't been drafted by the Wings, hadn't played under Bowman, hadn't played alongside a slew of future Hall of Famers across a slew of very deep Wings teams funded by Mike Ilitch and his whatever-it-takes mandate? Would he have become an Alex Ovechkin? Or, to flip it around, What if Ovechkin had been drafted (or, more realistically, somehow acquired via trade) by the Wings? Would he be what he is?

I don't know, I see them as completely different players, right from day 1.

To me Ovie is one of the most overrated players in hockey. He's an elite goalie scorer, but as a complete player he's overrated. His defensive game is nonexistent, he never goes and gets the puck himself he just sits in the slot and waits for a pass. You gotta wonder if what's holding him back is just pure laziness.

My problem with Ovi is he has the god given ability to be a dominant hockey player everywhere on the ice. He has the size, the speed, the agility, the strength, the hands, and the shot. But all you ever see him do it wait at the blue line, go to the slot, and rip it. and occasionally throw a check.

My problem with Ovi is he has the god given ability to be a dominant hockey player everywhere on the ice. He has the size, the speed, the agility, the strength, the hands, and the shot. But all you ever see him do it wait at the blue line, go to the slot, and rip it. and occasionally throw a check.

The dude is built like bull, a hockey machine, every ability you could want is there. If played like Lindros he could be better than crysby

The dude is built like bull, a hockey machine, every ability you could want is there. If played like Lindros he could be better than crysby

He has become such a diva, makes you wonder whether he even listens to the coaches anymore. Or whether the coaching staff has gotten fed up and stopped preaching defense, assuming they ever preached defense to begin with.

To me Ovie is one of the most overrated players in hockey. He's an elite goalie scorer, but as a complete player he's overrated. His defensive game is nonexistent, he never goes and gets the puck himself he just sits in the slot and waits for a pass. You gotta wonder if what's holding him back is just pure laziness.

Exactly! he is a single-handed stepler operator. Somebody else needs to insert a paper and he - BOOM! - steples it down nicely! All done, thank you very much!

Guest DeGraa55

Problem with Ovie is he hasn't evolved his game. He plays the same way now as he did when he came into the league. Sure he scores a lot of goals. But that is literally all he does. It is no surprise almost all of his scoring has been coming on the powerplay, as teams obviously know how to shut him down for the most part at even strength.

No he actually hits and fights to. He is Franzen just three times as good. Ovi scores goals hits and fights. Not everyone can be a malkin Crosby or dat.

Fact is teams need both kinds of players....and ovi type player is what the wings have been missing for awhile. You don't need 12 two way players.

No he actually hits and fights to. He is Franzen just three times as good. Ovi scores goals hits and fights. Not everyone can be a malkin Crosby or dat.

Fact is teams need both kinds of players....and ovi type player is what the wings have been missing for awhile. You don't need 12 two way players.

He doesn't fight.

Ovechkin has three "fights" in his NHL career, two of which were after he threw a dirty hit. And they were mostly scrums really.

Guest DeGraa55

He doesn't fight.

Ovechkin has three "fights" in his NHL career, two of which were after he threw a dirty hit. And they were mostly scrums really.

Wel I'll be honest...I watch a good amount of his games and I could prolly count on two hands maybe three the amount of time he was going to fight then a teammate stepped in cause they're protecting their star player....something the wings also are missing.

Ovechkin, while a prolific goal scorer is a one dimensional type of player. He leads the league in +/- with a -34, Yakupov is a -33. That's a scary number coming from your capitain.

He's all goals and that's it, but goal scoring isn't enough if the other teams scores just as much as you do when you're on the ice.

I've always said this from the beginning, Washington will not win the Cup with Ovie as Captain. He needs to just be a goal scorer on a team.

Ovechkin, while a prolific goal scorer is a one dimensional type of player. He leads the league in +/- with a -34, Yakupov is a -33. That's a scary number coming from your capitain.

He's all goals and that's it, but goal scoring isn't enough if the other teams scores just as much as you do when you're on the ice.

I've always said this from the beginning, Washington will not win the Cup with Ovie as Captain. He needs to just be a goal scorer on a team.

I agree with you about them never winning with Ovie, but not because he's the Captain. Rather because his contract is prohibitive. It's Washington's fault for giving that much cap space to a guy that can only score goals. If he were the exact same player, but making 6 or 7 million he'd be worth every single nickel (with or without the defense or the captainship).

Sooner or later these GM's will realize that you don't win cups with one guy, franchise or not. Devoting that much money to a Weber, Ovie, Lecavalier, Kovalchuk, etc. is a recipe for disaster. Hell look at the guys I've just mentioned, one cup between them despite all that time in the league and all that money spent on their services.

Not only is Ovechkin a one-dimensional player, it sometimes seems that the Caps are built around him. Their team-play is summed up by gaining the zone, then waiting for him to float into position.

The pass is almost ALWAYS going to go to Ovechkin, and if he misses the shot, they're already looking to get the puck back to him.

Shut down Ovi, and you shut down the caps.

Which is sad considering, as many others have already stated, that his skill-set would allow him to be the complete player if he gave even 50% effort every game...

Not only is Ovechkin a one-dimensional player, it sometimes seems that the Caps are built around him. Their team-play is summed up by gaining the zone, then waiting for him to float into position.

The pass is almost ALWAYS going to go to Ovechkin, and if he misses the shot, they're already looking to get the puck back to him.

Shut down Ovi, and you shut down the caps.

Which is sad considering, as many others have already stated, that his skill-set would allow him to be the complete player if he gave even 50% effort every game...

Not only that but the Capitals have talent in supporting positions that if the team played to score as a team, not score through ovi i think not only would the teams production increase, but I dont think ovi's production would (assuming he gave at least 75% effort) decrease. Not being predictable would open Ovi up 5-5. there is a reason he is killing PP points, because 4 guys can't just cover him. If he gets any space he's deadly, best way to give him space is to make the opposing team focus on shutting something else down besides just him. You see it in every team sport ever. Unless the superstar has someone to alleviate some of the focus they aren't going to win the championship.

Edited by wingedominance13

Teams are going to learn to keep him out of that left circle in front of the net during the PP and he'll begin to flop a little bit. As a fan, and I don't watch Caps a lot, it's obvious to me where Ovie is gonna be on the ice during a PP and that they are going to try to feed him for the one timer. I'm not sure why more teams haven't realized this and kept a defender directly on him on that area of the ice, he's good for 30+ goals from that spot per season.

Teams are going to learn to keep him out of that left circle in front of the net during the PP and he'll begin to flop a little bit. As a fan, and I don't watch Caps a lot, it's obvious to me where Ovie is gonna be on the ice during a PP and that they are going to try to feed him for the one timer. I'm not sure why more teams haven't realized this and kept a defender directly on him on that area of the ice, he's good for 30+ goals from that spot per season.

Because that would open up even more space for Backstrom. If there's one guy in the league you don't give space...it's Backstrom.

There's no way to guard him because of his shot. Every year everyone predicts the downfall of Ovie and it doesn't happen. When you can one time the puck like he does you'll always get your goals.

Agreed. I have no doubt he will always score in this league. I firmly believe until he plays a two way game he won't ever win a cup. He is paid to much money and it handicaps a team to put together a SC roster (so unless the cap goes wayyy up)

Guest DeGraa55

Agreed. I have no doubt he will always score in this league. I firmly believe until he plays a two way game he won't ever win a cup. He is paid to much money and it handicaps a team to put together a SC roster (so unless the cap goes wayyy up)

It's not just his contract they need a few better players. His cap hit is only about1.5m then what it should be....whereas the wings have about 10m tied up in useless players.

The difference is winnin teams have a complete team...Washington does not.