• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

8 Legged RedWing

2014 Detroit Tigers Thread

Rate this topic

Unfortunately I didn't get to see the game today because of that stupid thing called employment but I saw the highlights and was following along in the office.

I'm not quite sure what my expectations for the season are yet but it's certainly to make the playoffs either via a division crown or the wild card and I do like how we have converted to a fast team this season and I think that suits our ball park better. I actually think KC has a good team and could be our major threat in the Central this year.

Anyways, we're on pace for 162-0!

Eat 'em up Tigers!

Edited by 8 Legged RedWing

Yea Castellanos is our full time starting 3rd basemen and Joba was a mid off season acquisition. I don't expect Joba to play too much of a role early on. When we start playing weeks in a row later in the season he will be needed to throw some innings late in the games.

I wish they would have traded Scherzer instead of Fister; the make up of the team behind the pitcher now suits Fister (groundball outs guy) than Scherzer (strikeouts). I also would have thrown in any prospect not named Castellanos to get Elvis Andrus instead of Ian Kinsler. The Venezualen turn between Andrus-Infante-Cabrera, with the rangy Iglesias at third (of Cuban-descent, and a great relationship with Omar Infante), would have been significantly better than what they went with. The difference between Kinsler and Infante is insignificant as far as talent; but Dombrowski threw away that camraderie and is now asking a multitude of players to develop new relationships. Let's say Infante went down with an injury... Perez is a solid backup. Let's say Andrus goes down with an injury... Iglesias slides over. Let's say Iglesias goes down with an injury... Castelanos steps in like he did.

There was no point in trading for a 2B when there was a competent guy that could have been re-signed... I didn't understand that trade whatsoever. They could have traded Scherzer for a guy like lefty pitcher James Paxton and utility player Nick Franklin (Seattle), re-signed Infante for 2 years or so at $13M/yr, and swung Fielder, Eugenio Suarez, and Austin Schotts for Andrus. Give up the draft pick to bring in Curtis Granderson for 2-years, $19.5M/yr, and pick up the option on Jose Veras. They could have still brought in Joe Nathan at $10M/yr AND signed Edward Mujica (2-years, $4.75M/yr) to round out the bullpen.

ALLLL these moves and they STILL would have been under $175M. Going forward, I figured Cabrera would cost $29M in 2016 (I would have only given him a 3-year extension for up to $33M/yr), but the team would have been back under $160M in 2015 by letting Hunter and Martinez move on, even with Andrus' salary bump and Fister getting about $15M/yr.

Edited by _SP_

Do you mean Fister? And Scherzer>>>>>>>>>>>>Fister, Scherzer was their best pitcher last season by far. I think even Sanchez did better than Verlander IIRC.

:lol: :lol: Good lord. I was just talking to a buddy about Eric Fisher and how he went #1 overall, but people expect two of Lewan, Robinson, and Matthews to fall out of the top 10 in the NFL Draft. Guess I should stick to talking about one sport at a time.

That's embarrassing... but yes, Scherzer was a one-time, one-trick pony. Doug Fister has put up some of the best stats in baseball for groundball-per-at-bat, and with a defensively-oriented infield, that would only get better. Scherzer is going to be Scherzer regardless of the team behind him- he's going to try to overpower the hitter and rack up K's.

I'm glad that the team is trying to become more athletic. The past few years they went with slow guys that couldn't field but they sure could hit the ball. That was fine during the regular season but when they got to the postseason and had to face better pitchers and better defenses it was hard to hit doubles and homeruns, they could only go station to station on singles which were hard to string together.

I hope that over the next few years they start to rebuild the farm system. Trade bait and future stars.

Lol 10 road game wins in a row. Now that's impressive. We've got a chance to sweep the Red Sox in Boston for the first time in over 30 years today.

It was nice when we were beating up on bad teams like we should be when we're winning and sweeping series against good teams like Baltimore and Boston, that really bodes well for the Tigers.

Guest midnightpulp

awww the liberals aren't very happy about brad's wife beating joke

The Tigers ace is unquestionably Anibal Sanchez. Since his arrival in July 2012, he has a better ERA and FIP than both Scherzer and Verlander. Thankfully Max turned down what would have been an awful contract going forward for the Tigers and unfortunately Verlander appears to be massively overpaid already with his decline. Sanchez is extremely overlooked because of the other big names in the rotation, but nobody is more reliable to turn in a quality start.

Edited by GoWings1905