• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Wingsfan4life19

Wingsfan4life19

Rookie

• Pip
  • 163 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 08:38 AM

Check out this goal by Wings' prospect and current Barrie Colt Andreas Athanasiou. I don't know much about the kid, anyone have any idea how he projects?

http://www.tsn.ca/ba...d=447911&cid=fb

#2 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,628 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 08:42 AM

Supposedly he's got Helm's speed but with better hands.  He's also apparently quite strong on his skates with insane lower body strength.  The biggest knock on him that I've read is that he doesn't play a team game and tends to try and do everything himself.  Also, early on there were some questions about his attitude that seem to have been taken care of. 

He's not scoring like Mantha or anything, but he definitely has top six upside and almost certainly top nine.

Edited by kipwinger, 01 April 2014 - 08:43 AM.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#3 wingedominance13

wingedominance13

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 08:50 AM

wow.

#4 Andy Pred 48

Andy Pred 48

Coming soon,"the slovak line" Marek and 2 Toms!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,865 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 09:04 AM

the kid finished 5th overall in the OHL scoring and 2nd in goals with 49. 

I cant remember the last time the Wings had 2 legit scoring forwards at the same time coming thru the ranks.

Without Mantha tearing up the Q, we would all be drooling over AA's output this year, we have alot to look 

forward to in the coming years.

"What are you guys doing?" Reggie Dunlop
"Putting on the foil coach" Jeff Hanson
"Yeah, every game, you want some coach?" Steve Hanson
"Er, no. No thanks guys." Reggie Dunlop
"Make sure they don't leave the bench!" Reggie Dunlop.

#5 Shinzaki

Shinzaki

Rookie

• Pip
  • 135 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 09:05 AM

Not scoring like Mantha?   He went 49-46-95 in 65 games....that's pretty impressive.  

#6 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,628 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 10:17 AM

Not scoring like Mantha?   He went 49-46-95 in 65 games....that's pretty impressive.  

I know, that was the point.  Mantha's output is absurd. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#7 PavelValerievichDatsyuk

PavelValerievichDatsyuk

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 10:38 AM

Mantha - 57GP, 57-63-120 

different leagues and the Q is a higher scoring league so it's hard to compare, but that's 25 more point and 12 less games. No point to compare, really, I just wanted to post mantha's totals because it's exciting to possibly have 2 goal scorers in the system 

#8 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 10:45 AM

Nice! so is that what a Helm and Bertuzzi love child would look like?

"He usually shows up when the game is over and tries to be the hero. Puts his cape on and goes and flies out there." ~ Franzen 

#9 shoe

shoe

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 699 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 10:59 AM

hmmmm.

I dont want to soil the video and say what he did.

but...

I think if he tried those types  of moves in the nhl, it would become part of a general managers meeting like the spinorama move.

I dont think many goal tenders would take kindly to that move either.

#10 martinezsvsu

martinezsvsu

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 11:24 AM

looks like jurco has some competition

#11 Shinzaki

Shinzaki

Rookie

• Pip
  • 135 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 11:34 AM

I don't want to belabor the point...but I'm gonna.   When you say he's not scoring like Mantha or anything..tht's like saying Andre Drummond isn't tall like Manute Bol or anything. Fine...Drummond isn't 7-5, but he is 7ft and that's really fricking tall.    Maybe it's the "or anything" part that seems off.  To me, 95 pts in an arguably tougher league  is "anything"...  :)

Whatever the case, they're both exciting  prospects with top six potential.

#12 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 02:09 PM

Creative goal for sure and I'm definitely high on Athanasiou but that's during a skills comp and it's clear the goalie isn't even trying...

Nonetheless I can't wait for this kid to turn pro.

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#13 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 02:57 PM

I don't know where, but I've seen that move before.

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

MONEY ON THE BOARD: $10/Kronwalling (1), $1/goal by: Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, disney.com (1), Andersson, Dekeyser, Pulkinnen, Ouellet, or Sproul.  2X MULTIPLIER: disney.com.  CONSOLATION PRIZE: $5/goal by: Datsyuk (3), $3/goal by: Z (1). MOTB TOTAL: $30

#14 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 02:58 PM

Speaking of cool moves...

wWOEm7V.gif

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#15 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 03:03 PM

Speaking of cool moves...

That wasn't recently was it?  I recall seeing it in years past.

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

MONEY ON THE BOARD: $10/Kronwalling (1), $1/goal by: Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, disney.com (1), Andersson, Dekeyser, Pulkinnen, Ouellet, or Sproul.  2X MULTIPLIER: disney.com.  CONSOLATION PRIZE: $5/goal by: Datsyuk (3), $3/goal by: Z (1). MOTB TOTAL: $30

#16 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 03:07 PM

That wasn't recently was it?  I recall seeing it in years past.

Yup just happened this year.  January I believe.

Couple Canadians in a German league...

Vince Lombardi

#17 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 05:29 PM

That video is hilarious if you ignore the shooter and just watch the goalie.  The goalie looks like hes just standing there daydreaming, and then just trips and falls down to his right.

While a neat move, the shootout goal would be a bit more impressive if the goalie didn't look like they just grabbed some random person off the street who never played or watched hockey before and dressed them and put them in goal, lol.

Edited by sleepwalker, 01 April 2014 - 05:32 PM.

#18 darkmanx

darkmanx

Toronto's Finest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,623 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 05:31 PM

What's amazing about that video is I didn't even notice he put it through his legs until watching it like 10 times.

#19 P. Marlowe

P. Marlowe

4th Line Heel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 08:13 AM

This one wasn't in a skills competition.

MLive:

Athanasiou scored his team's only goal in the Barrie Colts' 4-1 loss to North Bay in the OHL playoffs but it indeed one for the highlight reels.

Edited by P. Marlowe, 08 April 2014 - 08:13 AM.

"Finger-pointing is easy. In some cases, even therapeutic. Fans need to blame something,

because the outcome is so frustratingly out of their control."
-- Mitch Albom

| Terry Sawchuk & Johnny Bower | | Extra Protection | | "Luckies never cut my wind." | | Straight to the Goal | | Dodging Traffic |
| Tom Waits - Get Behind the Mule | | Mikael Samuelsson Forever | | Mike Grier? |

#20 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,263 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 08:16 AM

I cannot even pronounce his last name, of course nothing new
D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1