• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
BBD10

Detroit could be dangerous come playoff time...

Rate this topic

When we return Hank and Pav, we will add our two best to a team that has been playing great and young guys who have stepped up their game. Our players will no longer be waiting on Hank or Pav to score all game long. Nyquist might be one of the next greats for Detroit and hope that he continues his play when they come back. Alfy, Nyquist, Hank, Pav, Helm, Franzen all healthy??? Who wants to draw them in the 1st round of the playoffs? Crickets...

I like our chances, at least for a few rounds. It won't be pretty and the series will be long, but we'll get it done. Last year we were worse and still almost made it to the conference finals.

Defense and goaltending are our big weak points. Howard is good but he doesnt go on very long hot streaks like other goalies do. And our defense....well...

The good news is that in the East, only Boston boasts a superior defense. So the other series should be shooting galleries.

I couldn't agree any more - considering its looking like we will be playing a Pittsburgh team without a healthy Malkin for the 1st round of the playoffs, a shaky goaltender and a mediocre (at best) group of defenceman. Look at these lines when Zetterberg comes back, hopefully by the end of the 1st round...

ZETTERBERG - DATSYUK - ALFREDSSON

NYQUIST - LEGWAND - FRANZEN

TATAR - SHEAHAN - JURCO

ABDELKADER - HELM - GLENDENNING/ANDERSSON

KRONWALL - ERICSSON

DEKEYESER - SMITH

QUINCEY - KINDL

HOWARD

Of course this is based on having completely healthy roster (with the exception of Weiss who should rest until training camp) - but seriously who in the eastern conference can match our depth at forward? I don't like to exaggerate or get ahead of myself, but it seams only the Red Wings can go from out of the playoffs to contender in a couple of weeks. You want proof of that, take a look at last year... up 3-1 to the eventual cup champ, still stings but that could have been us (again as a 7 seed).

I concur also. I think we've not just got really solid depth up front, but a perfect balance of scoring and grinding. The kids plus Helm and Abby provide tons of speed and energy, the sandpaper if you like, while we've got enough solid veterans to guide them through.

The only real question for me is in net. If Jimmy steps up and plays like we know he can, then I think we've got a pretty good shot with most of them. Tonight will be a good look at that and how prepared we could be.

I couldn't agree any more - considering its looking like we will be playing a Pittsburgh team without a healthy Malkin for the 1st round of the playoffs, a shaky goaltender and a mediocre (at best) group of defenceman. Look at these lines when Zetterberg comes back, hopefully by the end of the 1st round...

ZETTERBERG - DATSYUK - ALFREDSSON

NYQUIST - LEGWAND - FRANZEN

TATAR - SHEAHAN - JURCO

ABDELKADER - HELM - GLENDENNING/ANDERSSON

KRONWALL - ERICSSON

DEKEYESER - SMITH

QUINCEY - KINDL

HOWARD

Of course this is based on having completely healthy roster (with the exception of Weiss who should rest until training camp) - but seriously who in the eastern conference can match our depth at forward? I don't like to exaggerate or get ahead of myself, but it seams only the Red Wings can go from out of the playoffs to contender in a couple of weeks. You want proof of that, take a look at last year... up 3-1 to the eventual cup champ, still stings but that could have been us (again as a 7 seed).

I love how these lines look, although you've forgotten Miller, who I think would be first replacement in this scenario over Andersson IMO.

3 of those lines have the ability to score and all 4 would be pretty responsible defensively. The depth allows us to play Pav and Z together, which could be huge.

Another little thing I notice here is the number of guys who can take face-offs, which could be important when guys get thrown out. Although the refs have been cutting down on that a bit.

While I like the optimism, not sure I agree. We have no idea on how or if Z and dat will be healthy. if they do play, who then comes out of the lineup? This is always a risk. Do you upset the apple cart? As of today looks like we will make it, then we get to play the Pens or B's in the 1st round. Those are both very good/great teams. The PO's are always a crap shoot and the hot teams go far. So let's hope!

Guest fat guy in a maltby jersey

i think zetterberg returning during round 1 is a pipe dream.

probably during round 2, if at all.

can the wings beat pitt/boston without him? not likely.

We did really well against Pitt a couple weeks ago, and that was without Pav. He said on his twitter he might be back tonight, hes a gametime decision.

For some reason we know how to beat Boston i think we only lost to them once this season.

The team has played exceptionally well lately, and we are just starting to get healthy. To me this is a reason to be excited, and optomistic.

When we return Hank and Pav, we will add our two best to a team that has been playing great and young guys who have stepped up their game. Our players will no longer be waiting on Hank or Pav to score all game long. Nyquist might be one of the next greats for Detroit and hope that he continues his play when they come back. Alfy, Nyquist, Hank, Pav, Helm, Franzen all healthy??? Who wants to draw them in the 1st round of the playoffs? Crickets...

I was just saying something similar. Not necessarily that we will be more dangerous because Pav and Z are back (which could be true depending on how fast they can get back to their game shape) but because we have already been in play off mode for some time now. Seems the bubble teams are the scariest and most unpredictable anymore because of this... Look at last season. That could very well have been our Cup and we came skidding into the playoffs. Add a healthy Pav and Z + a goalie thats wearing his helmet on his head and not his arse and we are that team again!

Let's not forget the coach of the year on the bench! Thanks Babs wouldnt be here without you!

Edited by The Secret

I think it's Boston and then everyone else, that alone make us a contender. Crazier things have happened

I agree that Boston is far and away the best team in the East. But I think at least three teams in the West (Chicago, St. Louis, and L.A.) would give them fits. My prediction is Boston definitely does not win the Cup this year.

I agree that Boston is far and away the best team in the East. But I think at least three teams in the West (Chicago, St. Louis, and L.A.) would give them fits. My prediction is Boston definitely does not win the Cup this year.

Oh I definitely agree about th west and that without even mentioning the sharks or ducks. I am pretty confident in saying the west wins the cup

Only way we'll be dangerous is if we got a full healthy lineup so let's hope pavels not rushing it and hank can come back at 100%

And sure we don't have the best top 6 d but we got Ericsson kronwall dekeyser and a lot of good 2 way forwards who will back check and the best coach .... So as long we are healthy ... Anythings possible

That being said rather have pens first round so guys like datsyuk and hank won't take more of a beating seeing as pens hit less and we can use all the extra time to get the guys as close to 100% as possible

Only way we'll be dangerous is if we got a full healthy lineup so let's hope pavels not rushing it and hank can come back at 100%

And sure we don't have the best top 6 d but we got Ericsson kronwall dekeyser and a lot of good 2 way forwards who will back check and the best coach .... So as long we are healthy ... Anythings possible

That being said rather have pens first round so guys like datsyuk and hank won't take more of a beating seeing as pens hit less and we can use all the extra time to get the guys as close to 100% as possible

Agree with this. D is not this teams strong point, but on experience alone our D is better than last year. But with guys like Dats and Hank in the lineup, the team defense improves greatly. It would take a great team defensive effort, but if there is any one team that can pull off some upsets this year, it is the Red Wings.

Watched NHL Live earlier, watching the NBC pre-show dealy now. There's been a whole lot of love for the Wings. Keith Jones has been banging the I-would-not-want-to-face-this-Wings-team-in-the-first-round drum for a few weeks now, and he just gave them another big thumbs up just now. It was about as enthusiastic as he gets.

Agree with this. D is not this teams strong point, but on experience alone our D is better than last year. But with guys like Dats and Hank in the lineup, the team defense improves greatly. It would take a great team defensive effort, but if there is any one team that can pull off some upsets this year, it is the Red Wings.

We actually agree on on something? ... Nashville's off so let's let's enjoy the moment lol