Photo
- - - - -

Detroit could be dangerous come playoff time...

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#21 nyqvististhefuture

nyqvististhefuture

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 07:30 PM

Agree with this. D is not this teams strong point, but on experience alone our D is better than last year. But with guys like Dats and Hank in the lineup, the team defense improves greatly. It would take a great team defensive effort, but if there is any one team that can pull off some upsets this year, it is the Red Wings.

We actually agree on on something? ... Nashville's off so let's let's enjoy the moment lol

#22 kylee

kylee

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 07:54 PM

Datsyuk wont be at 100% at anytime this season, who knows about Zetterberg. And before anyone says Datsyuk at 60% is better than not at all, as true as that is, that wont get us past Boston or Pittsburgh.

Edited by kylee, 02 April 2014 - 07:54 PM.

#23 marcaractac

marcaractac

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,351 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 08:07 PM

Datsyuk wont be at 100% at anytime this season, who knows about Zetterberg. And before anyone says Datsyuk at 60% is better than not at all, as true as that is, that wont get us past Boston or Pittsburgh.

Marc-Andre Fleury says hello

#24 kylee

kylee

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 08:42 PM

Touche

#25 marcaractac

marcaractac

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,351 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 11:52 PM

Hell, the Islanders would have eliminated the Pens last year in the first round if not for Vokoun. They don't have him to fall back on this time. Islanders gave them fits with speed. So if the Wings face the Pens, set the Goose loose!

#26 WingsAlways

WingsAlways

Grind Line 2.0

• PipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 12:30 AM

No matter what happens, please never use regular seasons games to compare teams in the PO's. it is a night and day comparison.

That includes our own team...

"Wow Chicago, you've won four Stanley Cups? Me too! - Kris Draper"

#27 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,997 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 12:47 AM

This team needs to focus on just making the playoffs

But the fans don't.

#28 wingsfan4795

wingsfan4795

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 01:14 AM

Oh my god imagine a scorer as hot as Nyquist against a goalie as shaky as the flower.. That could be fun

Good rule of thumb is always take an octopus everywhere. Better to have one and not need it than find yourself thinking, "Damn, I wish I had that octopus".

-Buppy

#29 ash11

ash11

Rookie

• Pip
  • 180 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 01:19 AM

first off if anything, if z comes back, which i think he will be (hopefully no set backs) but anyways iff, he would/should be in better shape then he was during the first part of the season (and he was still great).  He said during the interview something along the lines of its just a little sore now but it feels like a weight have been lift off his back.  So whoever is saying he wont be 100% is bulls***, and also, pav obivously isnt rushing it, if so he would of been in today, and i think come playoff time he might be, he also might be about 80-90 %, he said his knee isnt the issue right now its his conditioning, he also said his knee feels alot better.  So where do you guys get 60%? 

Edited by ash11, 03 April 2014 - 01:20 AM.

#30 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,584 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 07:53 AM

The whole point of shutting Datsyuk and Z down was to get them 100% healthy. And the surgery Z had is supposed to do wonders. I think Z will come back midway through the first round.

That means if we steal the first game is two, he should be back in time to keep our opponents best players from getting a second wind. Letting us shut the opponent down to finish the series. Timing Is everything in the playoffs.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#31 GoalieManPat

GoalieManPat

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,379 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 09:22 AM

Boston is the best team in the East but Detroit is 3-1 against them this year. Does this mean Detroit can handle them in the playoffs? No. Like others have said the regular season means nothing in the playoffs. They are a completely different beast. Detroit can be a dangerous team. Every team in the playoffs is a dangerous team. The thing the Wings have going for them is that despite the struggles theyve had this season they always seem to play above there level against the better teams in the league. The problem this year is so many lost points to the lesser half teams. Regardless of if Pav or Hank come back the key to the Wings postseason is not either of them. Its all going to be on Howard. If he plays like he did the last month last season and the playoffs the WIngs can steal a round or two even without Pav and Hank.

#32 matt198913

matt198913

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,108 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 05:12 PM

Detroit has one very huge advantage over every team in the league and that is coaching. There is no doubt Babcock is the best coach in the league. Look what he's done for the kids this year. Look what he's done without his top goalie his captain, his best player, his best penalty killer, his best goal scorer, for long stretches this year. He should be coach of the year but he won't be. This guys hockey IQ gives the Wings an advantage over whomever they play in the playoffs.
BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#33 brett

brett

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,031 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 05:19 PM

Detroit has one very huge advantage over every team in the league and that is coaching. There is no doubt Babcock is the best coach in the league. Look what he's done for the kids this year. Look what he's done without his top goalie his captain, his best player, his best penalty killer, his best goal scorer, for long stretches this year. He should be coach of the year but he won't be. This guys hockey IQ gives the Wings an advantage over whomever they play in the playoffs.

i thought that was going to say...

Detroit has one very huge advantage over every team in the league and that is dan cleary 

#34 cnot19

cnot19

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 563 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 05:21 PM

Speed forechecking and physical play can bury a team, islanders penguins they have a mediocre goalie(monster bruz) they move on
Get me a real fourth line Kenny!

#35 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 05:55 PM

I don't think Pav will be at 60%, sounds like 80-90%, fingers-crossed. After surgery Z probably won't be back until he's 100% healthy, and who knows if Weiss will be back at all. The one guy that will be extremely important is E, it will allow us to get Lashoff or Kindle out of the lineup.

Edited by wings87, 03 April 2014 - 05:57 PM.

"He usually shows up when the game is over and tries to be the hero. Puts his cape on and goes and flies out there." ~ Franzen 

#36 wings_fanatic

wings_fanatic

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 06:03 PM

I don't think Pav will be at 60%, sounds like 80-90%, fingers-crossed. After surgery Z probably won't be back until he's 100% healthy, and who knows if Weiss will be back at all. The one guy that will be extremely important is E, it will allow us to get Lashoff or Kindle out of the lineup.

Kindl preferred out... He's awful at least lashoff plays a simple game.

#37 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,594 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 03:45 PM

first off if anything, if z comes back, which i think he will be (hopefully no set backs) but anyways iff, he would/should be in better shape then he was during the first part of the season (and he was still great).  He said during the interview something along the lines of its just a little sore now but it feels like a weight have been lift off his back.  So whoever is saying he wont be 100% is bulls***, and also, pav obivously isnt rushing it, if so he would of been in today, and i think come playoff time he might be, he also might be about 80-90 %, he said his knee isnt the issue right now its his conditioning, he also said his knee feels alot better.  So where do you guys get 60%? 

I remember him saying his back was sore but it hasn't felt as good as it does now in years, or something like that. So once it's finished healing he should be unstoppable

#38 lwing

lwing

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 67 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 09:35 PM

I feel sad so many of you are so deluded. It couldn't be more pathetic if you thought Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy were going to help the Wings out. Boston or Pittsburgh will chew us up and spit us out like seeds in an orange. We are pathetic in D and goal and we will be utterly destroyed IF we even make it to the playoffs. Nobody is afraid of us. This is not being a bad fan, this is NOT being a homer and being a realist. 

#39 Wheelchairsuperhero

Wheelchairsuperhero

Wizard

• PipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 09:43 PM

I feel sad so many of you are so deluded. It couldn't be more pathetic if you thought Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy were going to help the Wings out. Boston or Pittsburgh will chew us up and spit us out like seeds in an orange. We are pathetic in D and goal and we will be utterly destroyed IF we even make it to the playoffs. Nobody is afraid of us. This is not being a bad fan, this is NOT being a homer and being a realist. 

Do you remember last year? I do. That doesn't make me deluded. I was much more scared of Anaheim last year than I am of 2014 Pittsburgh.

#40 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,843 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 12:40 AM

Do you remember last year? I do. That doesn't make me deluded. I was much more scared of Anaheim last year than I am of 2014 Pittsburgh.

I would say Detroit was better last year though, at least in goal and forward the defense is kind of a push. Flower is terrible, but he's also unpredictable, and he has the talent and the bipolar play necessary to be the game stealing goalie.

Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt