• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
BBD10

Detroit could be dangerous come playoff time...

Rate this topic

Pittsburgh is obviously good, but we are an even match. We have the same strengths and weaknesses. The only team that is heads above anyone else in the East is Boston. It's the rest of the teams that worry me. Tampa, Montreal, etc. They're ripe for upsetting someone down the line.

Don't agree:

- offense Pittsburgh > Detroit at least top 6 wise

- defense wash up at best Letang and Maataa are really really good

- goaltending Pittsburgh < Detroit depending which Fleury is showing up

- coach: obviously Pittsburgh < Detroit and It's not even close not matter what the Pens fans think Babcock is clearly better

- grit and toughness easily Pittsburgh > Detroit Engelland is a very tough customer

but let's not get ahead of ourselves here, first the Wings need to make the playoffs and keep the seventh place otherwise it will be against the big bad bear from the east :(

I think PIT has better forwards, better defenseman and a goalie that could be better or worse, depending on what version shows up.

However, I think DET has better coaching and play a better system. That part can't be underestimated.

I'll agree with the part about having a better system, in the sense that we at least try to make our forwards be defensively responsible. However, my position on Babcock is well known. He's a good coach, but I don't think he's the best. Blysma's not any better, but he's not any worse either IMO. They've both benefited early in their careers from inheriting otherworldly talent that won them a cup a piece. I guess maybe you'd have to give Babs the nod for taking that Anaheim team to the Cup finals, but I don't think it's as clear cut as everyone else does.

Edit: And even if Babs is better, every year since 2010 we've seen what a Red Wings team with few horses and good coaching can do in the playoffs. Admittedly, we've got more up front than we've had for four or five years...but we've also got worse defense and goaltending. I just don't see coaching overcoming our weak blueline.

Edited by kipwinger

but let's not get ahead of ourselves here, first the Wings need to make the playoffs and keep the seventh place otherwise it will be against the big bad bear from the east :(

Remember how we got in the playoffs last season? There is no guarantee that another team won't win all of their remaining games and the Wings could lose all of theirs. :scared: I'll just be happy to see the Wings in the playoffs.