Photo
- - - - -

Detroit could be dangerous come playoff time...

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#41 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,498 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 07:59 AM

With Fluery, you really never know.  I see him as one of the most talented goalies in the league, but he also has the potential to fall to levels that most goalies would not.  He'll make absolutely unbelievable saves, but he might also let in a couple goals that leaves you wondering how that is even possible.

He has been great during the regular season, but you could say pretty much the same thing every year, so that won't help him in the playoffs.

#42 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,582 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 08:45 AM

Pittsburgh is obviously good, but we are an even match. We have the same strengths and weaknesses. The only team that is heads above anyone else in the East is Boston. It's the rest of the teams that worry me. Tampa, Montreal, etc. They're ripe for upsetting someone down the line.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#43 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,008 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 09:44 AM

Pittsburgh is obviously good, but we are an even match. We have the same strengths and weaknesses. The only team that is heads above anyone else in the East is Boston. It's the rest of the teams that worry me. Tampa, Montreal, etc. They're ripe for upsetting someone down the line.

You don't think Pittsburgh's defense is better than ours?

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#44 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,582 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 10:53 AM

Their top two is, yeah, but they're both injured, aren't they?

Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#45 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,576 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 11:07 AM

I know letang and Martin have been cleared to play.

#46 Wheelchairsuperhero

Wheelchairsuperhero

Wizard

• PipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 11:12 AM

I would say Detroit was better last year though, at least in goal and forward the defense is kind of a push. Flower is terrible, but he's also unpredictable, and he has the talent and the bipolar play necessary to be the game stealing goalie.

I agree in the D and goal, though I do have hope that Howard will step up. But I actually like our forwards this year a bit more.

#47 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,008 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 12:06 PM

I know letang and Martin have been cleared to play.

Yeah from what I understand they're going to be back for the playoffs.  Giving them Letang, Martin, Orpik, Niskanen, and Maatta...(I have no idea who their sixth d-man is).  That's a far and away better defensive corps than we're  fielding, even when we're healthy. 

Edit:  Their sixth defenseman is Scuderi...I forgot.  Yikes!

Edited by kipwinger, 07 April 2014 - 12:08 PM.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

#48 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,498 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 12:10 PM

Yeah from what I understand they're going to be back for the playoffs.  Giving them Letang, Martin, Orpik, Niskanen, and Maatta...(I have no idea who their sixth d-man is).  That's a far and away better defensive corps than we're  fielding, even when we're healthy. 

I think PIT has better forwards, better defenseman and a goalie that could be better or worse, depending on what version shows up.

However, I think DET has better coaching and play a better system.  That part can't be underestimated.

#49 The Datsyukian Deke

The Datsyukian Deke

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 99 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 12:42 PM

Actually I like almost any possible matchup in the East for some reasons, if we're halfway healthy. Shows you how much the East sucks - with that D of ours, even if everybody was on board, I stil wouldn't like our chances vs most West teams..

Edited by The Datsyukian Deke, 07 April 2014 - 12:43 PM.

Lidstrom: "Retiring today allows me to walk away from the game with pride, rather than have the game walk away from me."

#50 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,097 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 01:25 PM

I don't really see how you can call the Pens and Wings evenly matched. We're fully capable of knocking them off, but it'd be a huge upset.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#51 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,220 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 01:36 PM

Don't agree:

- offense Pittsburgh > Detroit at least top 6 wise

- defense wash up at best Letang and Maataa are really really good

- goaltending Pittsburgh < Detroit depending which Fleury is showing up

- coach: obviously Pittsburgh < Detroit and It's not even close not matter what the Pens fans think Babcock is clearly better

- grit and toughness easily Pittsburgh > Detroit Engelland is a very tough customer

but let's not get ahead of ourselves here, first the Wings need to make the playoffs and keep the seventh place otherwise it will be against the big bad bear from the east :(

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

<< Win it for Mr. Hockey !

#52 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,008 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 02:18 PM

I think PIT has better forwards, better defenseman and a goalie that could be better or worse, depending on what version shows up.

However, I think DET has better coaching and play a better system.  That part can't be underestimated.

I'll agree with the part about having a better system, in the sense that we at least try to make our forwards be defensively responsible.  However, my position on Babcock is well known.  He's a good coach, but I don't think he's the best.  Blysma's not any better, but he's not any worse either IMO.  They've both benefited early in their careers from inheriting otherworldly talent that won them a cup a piece.  I guess maybe you'd have to give Babs the nod for taking that Anaheim team to the Cup finals, but I don't think it's as clear cut as everyone else does. 

Edit:  And even if Babs is better, every year since 2010 we've seen what a Red Wings team with few horses and good coaching can do in the playoffs.  Admittedly, we've got more up front than we've had for four or five years...but we've also got worse defense and goaltending.  I just don't see coaching overcoming our weak blueline. 

Edited by kipwinger, 07 April 2014 - 02:21 PM.

#53 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,183 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 02:43 PM

All I know is that if we play Pittsburgh and beat them, everyone in the hockey world will know the name Luke Glendenning.

"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#54 MidMichSteve

MidMichSteve

Thanks to #5

• HoF Booster
  • 4,235 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 02:48 PM

but let's not get ahead of ourselves here, first the Wings need to make the playoffs and keep the seventh place otherwise it will be against the big bad bear from the east :(

Remember how we got in the playoffs last season? There is no guarantee that another team won't win all of their remaining games and the Wings could lose all of theirs.   :scared:  I'll just be happy to see the Wings in the playoffs.

From now on, Patrick Roy will be rolled out to and from the Avs' bench like Hannibal Lecter. - BottleOfSmoke

#55 darkmanx

darkmanx

Toronto's Finest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 03:00 PM

Who cares who has better forwards / defense / goalie. Games are played on ice.

I bet most didn't think Philly would beat Pittsburgh a couple years ago when they were the team to win it all.