• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
wings87

Hypothetical

Rate this topic

So I've been wondering, hypothetically if a truly lopsided trade where to be made; I'll use the Wings as an example. Let's say Detroit trades Abby for Crosby, would the league step in and block it?

Is there anything in the CBA that gives the commissioner the power to block a one sided trade, for the fear that it might reflect poorly on the league? Also has anything like that ever happened, where the league stepped in and annealed a trade they deemed unfair?

I don't know it's just something that's been rattling around in my brain for a couple days.

Can't say I know the specifics, but I do believe there are provisions for this type of thing. My guess is that this is part of the reason why trade calls have to take place with the league before a trade can be finalized.

There are precedents in other leagues, but I can't say that I've ever seen that happen in the NHL. For example, the NBA blocked the trade of Chris Paul to the Los Angeles Lakers, so I'm guessing there is some sort of commissioner authority. I know back when the Pens traded for Hossa, there was a large uproar that the deal was far too lopsided, but nothing ever came from that.

Guest fat guy in a maltby jersey

Considering the league didn't step in when we traded a fisrt rounder for Quincey, I'm going to go ahead and say no.

one and done.

nice work.

The league would definitely step in if a trade was lopsided enough. Even if there is nothing in the CBA about it, it would make the league look very bad and they would not allow it.

The league can block a trade. Most trades could at least be argued as legit, but if it was something like Ovechkin for a 7th rounder or something it might not fly.

If the CBA or the by-laws don't specifically allow the league to block a trade, couldn't an arbitrator overturn it? In the Ovechkin for a 7th rounder example, Washington could argue that if they clear his salary of the books, they might be better equipped to field a competitive team. I'm sure the league would attempt to block it, but not sure that they have the legal standing to do so; if a team would take the matter to an arbitrator. But like I said this all hypothetical.

Edited by wings87

If the CBA or the by-laws don't specifically allow the league to block a trade, couldn't an arbitrator overturn it? In the Ovechkin for a 7th rounder example, Washington could argue that if they clear his salary of the books, they might be better equipped to field a competitive team. I'm sure the league would attempt to block it, but not sure that they have the legal standing to do so; if a team would take the matter to an arbitrator. But like I said this all hypothetical.

In the end, if it did come to an arbitrator, you'd have to think they'd side with the league considering the fan base of the team getting hosed would be absolutely losing their minds. Clearing cap space or not, such a lopsided trade will never be allowed to happen.

In the end, if it did come to an arbitrator, you'd have to think they'd side with the league considering the fan base of the team getting hosed would be absolutely losing their minds. Clearing cap space or not, such a lopsided trade will never be allowed to happen.

This is far-fetched anyway, no GM in their right mind would make a trade like that. Except maybe Gillis although I'm not sure he is in his right mind.

Edited by wings87

There are precedents in other leagues, but I can't say that I've ever seen that happen in the NHL. For example, the NBA blocked the trade of Chris Paul to the Los Angeles Lakers, so I'm guessing there is some sort of commissioner authority. I know back when the Pens traded for Hossa, there was a large uproar that the deal was far too lopsided, but nothing ever came from that.

There is precedent in the NHL for a trade being rejected for being too lopsided & yes of course Mike Milbury was involved.

http://nypost.com/1999/06/17/rangers-back-in-palffy-mix-commish-vetoes-isles-kings-deal/