• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
WingsAlways

Detroit says Weiss "Not Getting Better", likely done for year

Rate this topic

I apologize if this has been posted already, I came across it in my news feed and thought I'd share.

I didn't really expect him to return, this makes the Legwand acquisition seem a bit more legit.

“He’s not on the horizon to come back,” Detroit GM Ken Holland said, per the Macomb Daily. “I was just in there talking to Steve, talking to our trainers, everybody is a little bit frustrated because we obviously thought he would be back by now, actually a long time ago."

Full Article:

http://bleacherreport.com/tb/dcNTy?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=detroit-red-wings

Guest Playmaker

Actually, I take this as good news. I didn't want a guy who has been out for the better part of 2 years to be finding his legs and learning about new team mates when we're fighting for a playoff spot and hopefully during the playoffs. Making room for Datsyuk, okay, Weiss, not so much. Legwand has picked it up the past few games too, so that made Weiss even more irrelevant.

Weiss... Gosh, the name rings a bell...

He's not the one of the injured that will make or break things for us. Let him get better and start fresh next year. Then we'll have a chance to see him in a full season without injury and decide whether or not he's a bust.

In the meantime, LTIR is acceptable.

What a f***en disaster he's been

it was posted in the injury thread, disappointing. Hopefuly he takes it slow, gets back into shape over the summer and comes out flying next year

Any chance there's something wrong with him mentally? On the quote it said holland expected him back along time ago actually .... Makes me wonder with the awful season he had to start with us and last year maybe he's just quitting and doesn't wanna return this year

What is going to become of him? Buyout perhaps?

Don't think he can be bought out this season - certainly not a compliance buy out.

And according to capgeek, the numbers regarding the cap hit are wayyyyyyyyy better if we buy him out after 2 seasons.

What a f***en disaster he's been

Any chance there's something wrong with him mentally? On the quote it said holland expected him back along time ago actually .... Makes me wonder with the awful season he had to start with us and last year maybe he's just quitting and doesn't wanna return this year

Perhaps the same deal Franzen went through? Hockey is constant wear and tear on the body and mind, I used to play in beer leagues. I can't begin to imagine playing at a pro level.

What a great signing this has been, he played like BS when healthy and after that he is injured all the time. That's exactly why I didn't want this guy here he came back after almost missing half a seaon last year and now he is AGAIN missing 50 ~ games. With 30+ Weiss has some serious offseason work to do if he wants to get back into hockeyshape and hopefully contribute something positive to our line-up.

Desasterous signing so far I'd take Clarkson over him at least the guy can stay fairly healthy..

I don't want Weiss coming into the lineup out of shape and without any chemistry. The last thing we need is to move a guy like Glendening or Jurco out of the lineup to put in a player with zero game shape or chemistry. We can re-assess this situation in the offseason. If Jurco continues to shine through the regular season (and maybe playoffs hopefully we make it) then I can see Weiss as a buyout candidate - we would have to bite the bullet on the buyout cap hit. Re-sign legwand who has fit fairly well into our lineup and stayed healthy.

I am sorry Weiss was never a Wing, really. I would much rather have him sit out the rest of the season, including the playoffs, since he's really never played with the current roster. Visions of Hatcher standing around in the playoffs, costing us goals/games, because he wasn't able to really play. :glare:

Big surprise. Our trainers failed yet again.

Fire these idiots!

This sounds like a complication from surgery to me. I don't think its a training thing. Nothing he or the trainers can do but rest now, I bet.

But yeah, fire them because I do think they were responsible In part for this whole season.

What a great signing this has been, he played like BS when healthy and after that he is injured all the time. That's exactly why I didn't want this guy here he came back after almost missing half a seaon last year and now he is AGAIN missing 50 ~ games. With 30+ Weiss has some serious offseason work to do if he wants to get back into hockeyshape and hopefully contribute something positive to our line-up.

Desasterous signing so far I'd take Clarkson over him at least the guy can stay fairly healthy..

The problem was/has been that he was never fully healthy... even to start the season. Agree that he has a lot of work to do to get himself back, but there really was no way of knowing that this would be the outcome of his initial season with the Wings. It's a shame. ...and to say otherwise is foolish.

Clarkson may be healthy, but he'll have been out 22 games over the course of the season (10 game suspension, 2 games suspension, and 10 missed games due to injury/flu) On top of that, he certainly hasn't been the same player that he was when he was in NJ. 5 goals, 6 assists, -14. So, I'm really torn. I like him as a player but I think LaffsNation might have thought they were getting a little more than this when he was signed... alot of people here had the same thoughts about him... So yeah, he'd probably have been a disappointment here too.

Additionally, you gotta remember that Weiss was signed because he was a center and essentially a replacement for Filpulla. Clarkson is not a centerman.

This sounds like a complication from surgery to me. I don't think its a training thing. Nothing he or the trainers can do but rest now, I bet. But yeah, fire them because I do think they were responsible In part for this whole season.

Give them the same treatment Henry VIII would when it comes to reasoning and patience.