• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
WingsAlways

Detroit says Weiss "Not Getting Better", likely done for year

Rate this topic

Clarkson benefited from playing with 2 good guys on his line and in a system where the strategy was "bank it in off Clarkson." He should have stayed in that system even though they weren't going to pay him as much.

Weiss is a good hockey player who is dealing with an injury that can linger long term anyway, and that is complicated by the fact that it's in an area where hockey players use more than just about any other athlete. It's no different than if a starting pitcher tears his rotator cuff or a running back tears an ACL.

If a playeris injured, I don't think you can buy them out. I Bet he knows there is a good chance of them buying him out if he doesn't make an impact over the next few games, so he's sitting tight so he can have a full season to make an impression next year. The guy's a turkey, and I think he's on drugs.

If a playeris injured, I don't think you can buy them out. I Bet he knows there is a good chance of them buying him out if he doesn't make an impact over the next few games, so he's sitting tight so he can have a full season to make an impression next year. The guy's a turkey, and I think he's on drugs.

Just out of curiosity why do you think he's on drugs? There a rumor like that or something?

I bet he knows that the Wings aren't going to pay him and take a cap hit so they can cut him loose. Now only will it cost them a bunch of money, things like that make it hard to convince players from signing with you in the future.

If a player comes in and thinks he can get paid and not perform, then I'm content with a player like that signing elsewhere- it's a favorable deterrent.

Only reason I think he's on drugs because of his demeanor in an interview, where he was almost goofy happy and his eyes were glazed over like he was on painkillers, which would also explain how he played through a sports hernia and now isn't getting better. besides, his production dropped a great deal after that wrist injury so I'd say it possible for sure, but I admit it is a bit of an unlikely long shot that I'm coreect about that.

Now Weiss is on drugs and faking an injury? What did I miss here? His wound has inflammation, it's not getting any better, so Holland probably said just to take the recovery slow, and heal up fully and come back with a fresh slate next season being %100 healthy. Too many tinfoil hats bouncing around here.

I still have hope for Weiss. Frustrating, but I'm not going to write him off entirely in an injury riddled season. If he comes back healthy in the fall, I still expect him to be a 50-60 point player for the Wings. No team is going to want him in a trade and there's no sense in buying him out -- nobody can really judge what type of player he might be the next four years based on 26 games.

It will be interesting to see if the Red Wings opt to re-sign Legwand with their glut of centers.

I still have hope for Weiss. Frustrating, but I'm not going to write him off entirely in an injury riddled season. If he comes back healthy in the fall, I still expect him to be a 50-60 point player for the Wings. No team is going to want him in a trade and there's no sense in buying him out -- nobody can really judge what type of player he might be the next four years based on 26 games.

It will be interesting to see if the Red Wings opt to re-sign Legwand with their glut of centers.

our centers will have to play wing next season. dats,legs,wiess,glen, riley,helm

Guest Playmaker

I don't think he's the one on drugs.

trade him, Franzen, Howard our 1st to Vancouver for Kesler. Sign Miller.

Weiss can play with booth again, Franzee can play with the twins, they will get a nice starting goalie.

If the Wings want Kesler it would start with Tatar +++ and at that point I'd say no injuries are increasing for this guy.

Gee, did anybody read this guy's horoscope before signing him? I'd like to think he just had one heck of a lousy year and that next year is a 180. However, he may be cursed. Some type of witchcraft needs to be performed here.

What is unfortunate about this news is that it affects our off seasons plans quite a bit, since we still don't know what we have in Weiss. It particularly could affect the re-signing of Legwand.

Hopefully he can actually recover and become something of the player we hoped he would be.

What is unfortunate about this news is that it affects our off seasons plans quite a bit, since we still don't know what we have in Weiss. It particularly could affect the re-signing of Legwand.

Hopefully he can actually recover and become something of the player we hoped he would be.

If I'm Holland I'd tell Weiss you are on LTR till you are 100 % sure you can contribute to our line up for the time being we are going with someone else.

Clarkson may be healthy, but he'll have been out 22 games over the course of the season (10 game suspension, 2 games suspension, and 10 missed games due to injury/flu) On top of that, he certainly hasn't been the same player that he was when he was in NJ. 5 goals, 6 assists, -14. So, I'm really torn. I like him as a player but I think LaffsNation might have thought they were getting a little more than this when he was signed... alot of people here had the same thoughts about him... So yeah, he'd probably have been a disappointment here too.

Both have them huge disappointments in my mind, Clarkson brought nothing to the Leafs and well Weiss is hurt all the time. Easily the two worst off-season signings.

To be fair to the guy who thought he was on drugs. That's a real possibility, If they gave him some after one of his injuries it can quickly spiral out of control. They are very addictive and being a professional athlete doesn't stop that.

I know this is pure speculation and I don't want to contribute to rumors, but it wouldn't be out of the ordinary. Look what happened to Favre back in the day. Look what happened to Derek Boogaard. It's far from an isolated incident in sports (and in general).

I saw an interview with Zetterberg after a game this season where he looked like he was out of it from painkillers. With what we know about his back this year that makes sense that he would take something and play. It could just have been adrenaline since the game had just ended, but he looked like he was all over the place. And if anybody knows what that looks or feels like its me, since I take painkillers occasionally for my own back problems.

Perhaps there is some problem with Wiess and they're quietly trying to work it out (and if there is I'm more than willing to give him a pass because that is an issue bigger than hockey). Perhaps he really is just injured all the time. I don't know and as I said I honestly don't want to fuel the fire here with rumors, just giving my thoughts about it.

Edited by roboturner