• Please log in to reply
568 replies to this topic

#541 Mckinley25

Mckinley25

4th Line Grinder

• Bronze Booster
  • 257 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 09:07 PM

Legwand has been playing well in front of the net.

#542 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 09:08 PM

Howard doesn't make any better saves. His rebound control is just as horrible.

I agree.  But he's is a little more consistent.  Monster is kind of all over the place.   He made some wicked saves but that fourth goal was dicey.  

#543 gcom007

gcom007

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 09:09 PM

Datsyuk was still our best forward. Only think I noticed was he was a step slower and not back checking like a demon like his usual self. Hardly our problem.

Frustrating because when healthy I think our forward corps is near the tops in the league but our Defense is a joke and it would have been so easy to add an upgrade to our bottom pairing

I bet Kronwall would still play with the same injury as Ericsson. Just sayin

What worried me was I noticed on at least a few occasions he was a bit slow to get up after going down. I get that he's going to need a week or so to be back in game shape, and he might be pushing a bit too hard right now relative to his conditioning level and lack of games lately, but it absolutely worries me to see him struggling to get back on his feet given that he's missed all this time because of a knee injury. It very well could be nothing, and I certainly hope it is; hopefully he's just winded. But if he's having to fight through pain just to get up, you have to worry how the grind is going to affect him moving forward and how easily one bad play could lead to a more major setback.

-Elliot...does not panic.

#544 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 09:11 PM

Well he was more effective then all of our forwards minus maybe Tatar. Not even close to a detriment to the team. Made our pp a hell of a lot better. There's much much more to complain about than adding a 70 percent Datsyuk playing in his second game back. He helped us get this close he wasn't a reason we lost

I didn't say he was horrible.  But he was noticeably hurting. I don't think it's a matter of conditioning.  I think he will have some flashes of brilliance because he's Pav. But I think fans thinking that he's fine and just needs a few days to get his legs back are kind of kidding themselves.

#545 MTU_Huskies963

MTU_Huskies963

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,810 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 09:11 PM

I agree.  But he's is a little more consistent.  Monster is kind of all over the place.   He made some wicked saves but that fourth goal was dicey.

It's hard to make saves when you have to worry about your own player trying to score on your end too haha :D

#546 gcom007

gcom007

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 09:18 PM

Unfortunately, not true.  His knee is not better.  He was evaluated and told his knee would not sustain further damage if he played so he made the decision to play.  He's not healthy and in out of conditioning.  He's hurt and in poor condition.

Interesting. As long as they don't think he'll do more damage, than good for him for fighting through it. Datsyuk at 70-75% is still far better than most NHLers and his overall play should improve as his conditioning improves. My only real concern with Datsyuk has been this injury becoming more of a long-term issue. 

We've gotten wins more consistently with Monster than Howard this year. The numbers don't lie on that one and Monster's got a much better record than Howard. Howard's been better lately, but given his overall season thus far, I wouldn't be betting on Howard being better for us tonight because he's more consistent. Either guy is likely going to lose this game with the way the D played. And let's not forget, rough as some of Gus's GAs were, he also made more than a few really great saves. It could've been worse given the frequency and level of defensive lapses in this game. And again, I think it was for the best that Howard got to sit this one out. He's just starting to string some solid play together; he doesn't need to be setup to fail right now.

-Elliot...does not panic.

#547 fat guy in a maltby jersey

fat guy in a maltby jersey

3rd Line Checker

• Restricted
  • PipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 09:31 PM

holland has had 2 years to do something about this dogsh*t defense.

if he does nothing this summer, it's going to be another long, long season next year.

#548 nyqvististhefuture

nyqvististhefuture

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 09:38 PM

We got robbed of at least a pt tonight ... Those 2 habs goals in the third were total bulls***

I'm beyond f***en pissed off right now

#549 GoalieManPat

GoalieManPat

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 10:17 PM

We've gotten wins more consistently with Monster than Howard this year. The numbers don't lie on that one and Monster's got a much better record than Howard. Howard's been better lately, but given his overall season thus far, I wouldn't be betting on Howard being better for us tonight because he's more consistent. Either guy is likely going to lose this game with the way the D played. And let's not forget, rough as some of Gus's GAs were, he also made more than a few really great saves. It could've been worse given the frequency and level of defensive lapses in this game. And again, I think it was for the best that Howard got to sit this one out. He's just starting to string some solid play together; he doesn't need to be setup to fail right now.

Monster is only 5-3 with a GAA of almost 3.5 and  save% around .900 since the turn of the year while getting quite a bit more goal support from the team. Monster more than outplayed Howard at the beginning of the year but hes come back down to earth with his play and is showing more of his true colors. With the way Howard has been playing lately he might have been able to pull it out the same way he did against Boston. 

#550 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,737 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 10:20 PM

Howard wouldn't have changed the outcome of the game. The 5 goal was goalie interference how for you stop a shot if you can't move around! I hope the game was some sort of wake up call and the team puts in 60 minutes against the Sabres

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#551 wingfan1991

wingfan1991

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,737 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 10:26 PM

The Monster reeked tonight. Lashoff and Kindl brutal as usual. Montreal is as always the most opportunist team in nhl. Everything goes their way.

#552 barabbas16

barabbas16

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 10:35 PM

Interesting. As long as they don't think he'll do more damage, than good for him for fighting through it. Datsyuk at 70-75% is still far better than most NHLers and his overall play should improve as his conditioning improves. My only real concern with Datsyuk has been this injury becoming more of a long-term issue. 

I agree that the numbers themselves do not lie.  But, they certainly can be used to mislead. 

The team has scored a goal more per game on average in games that Gustavsson has started vs. games that Howard has started.

So, either Gustavsson is contributing significantly better than Howard is on offense.... or the records really do not accurately reflect who is the better choice in goal.

#553 TimeBinder

TimeBinder

The continuum must be bound

• PipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 10:39 PM

Didn't think we'd beat Bruins - but should beat Hab's - even trade in my book

Pain is just weakness leaving the body.

#554 WingsAlways

WingsAlways

Grind Line 2.0

• PipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 10:41 PM

1554552_633943840032326_8778250897266732

"Wow Chicago, you've won four Stanley Cups? Me too! - Kris Draper"

#555 canadian wings fan

canadian wings fan

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 10:52 PM

we're fine guys dont worry

#556 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 10:53 PM

I think refs miss a lot of close offsides it just so happens this one resulted in a goal

Some aggressive forechecking teams could be called offside on every other dump in

#557 Wheelchairsuperhero

Wheelchairsuperhero

Wizard

• PipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 03:30 AM

Monster looked bad today. Lashoff was brutal. Speaking of which why was Lashoff paired with Kronwall that shift (during the second goal) and Smith moved to the Kindl pairing? They switched back shortly after but I was so confused. So disappointing to lose a game like that where it seemed like we controlled most of the play. Deserved at least a point.

Edited by Wheelchairsuperhero, 06 April 2014 - 03:30 AM.

#558 The Datsyukian Deke

The Datsyukian Deke

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 89 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 04:51 AM

I don't think Monster looked awesome, actually pretty much below average, but "bad" is a little harsh considering the way those goals developed. ;)

I liked what I saw from Pavel. Needs to be seen how much is about conditioning and how much is about his knee, but his hockey IQ is so off the charts, he makes the teams better even if he's just at 70%.

Lidstrom: "Retiring today allows me to walk away from the game with pride, rather than have the game walk away from me."

#559 brett

brett

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,974 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 09:10 AM

missed the game 

glad to see datsyuk and glendenning finally score

nice seeing they came back 

those last 2 goals were pretty bulls***

oh well buffalo on tuesday go get em

#560 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,215 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 09:30 AM

I think refs miss a lot of close offsides it just so happens this one resulted in a goal

Some aggressive forechecking teams could be called offside on every other dump in

I can see the barely off sides getting missed but this was just blatant.  It's like the ref looking at the whole thing and having a brain fart and not calling it clearly.