• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Nyquistfan14

Glendening signed to 3 year extension

Rate this topic

Sweet! Glendening is awesome.

Who friggin' cares about the goals as long as he's doing his actual job, which is stopping opposing players from scoring.

Who cares about goals? Who's gonna score if our top 2 lines get shut down in the playoffs? To make it far you need all 4 lines to chip in with goals from time to time

Darren McCarty cup winning goal vs flyers? Among a few others .... Maltby.... Draper

Hell even Joey kocur scored some nice playoff goals for us when we went on our cup runs

You can say who gives a crap if he doesn't score but chances are if he doesn't score a few in the playoffs along with miller or whom ever chances are we won't make it far

Edited by nyqvististhefuture

Who cares about goals? Who's gonna score if our top 2 lines get shut down in the playoffs? To make it far you need all 4 lines to chip in with goals from time to time

Darren McCarty cup winning goal vs flyers? Among a few others .... Maltby.... Draper

Hell even Joey kocur scored some nice playoff goals for us when we went on our cup runs

You can say who gives a crap if he doesn't score but chances are if he doesn't score a few in the playoffs along with miller or whom ever chances are we won't make it far

If he's doing what he is signed to do, then the top players of other teams are not scoring goals either. Glendening effectively shut down Malkin and Crosby single handedly. He'll get a goal eventually

Glendening will start scoring eventually. He is pretty focussed on other aspects of his game and that is what babs wants out of him. Nobody is expecting him to produce big - he is expected to give full effort out there and shut down opposing lines which he does very well.

He actually does get one or two good chances per game but hasn't been able to bury them - I think that has to do with just being a guy who is searching hard for his first goal.

great hockey deal! Just about what I thought he'd get in cap hit as well! Now we got to get Tatar, Sheahan re-signed at reasonable deals because Dekeyser and Nyquist are gonna cost some buck$!

just a note, I know Nyquist has one more year left, but if he scores next season like he has this season, you are going to need to save some cap just un case.

Edited by LeftWinger

Getting on Glendening because he hasn't scored a goal is totally missing the point of him. It's almost like getting on Nyquist because he doesn't block enough shots. In a tight playoff series, how do we know a shot that Nyquist doesn't block won't end up being the difference?

Glendening is a shutdown center. His duties lie 100% on the defensive side of the puck. Any offense he provides is essentially a bonus. He takes the vast majority of his faceoffs in the defensive zone. He's clutch on the PK. He checks and grinds and pushes, shoves, yaps, agitates. He frustrates the likes of Crosby and Stamkos. In a tight playoff series against a top-heavy team like the Pens, a Luke Glendening would, in theory, give our top three lines more room in the matchups battle. If Datsyuk doesn't have to shadow Crosby on every shift he takes, he's probably going to be more dangerous offensively. Maybe Helm can cheat up ice a little more. Throw in the last change at home and the fact that Babs is a matchup wizard, and that's potentially the difference in the series right there.

But that's not even the big thing with him. The big thing with him is that he works hard, plays the right way, takes care of business, is zero-maintence, etc. He's a coach's dream and the kind of guy you love to have on your team. I don't think it's totally a coincidence that Babs says Glendening's line was our best against the Sabres and then, bam!, he gets extended. Our team has problems with keeping it simple, giving consistent effort, staying focused, sustaining intensity, being responsible defensively, avoiding complacency. Those things aren't an issue for Glendening, and that's a big deal - for the team as a whole. That was on full display last night. He can be a steadying presence. Things getting dicey? Crosby running amok? Key PK? Too much cuteness? Throw Glendening's line over the boards. He may not score, but 1) big deal, and 2) he's going to score eventually, and then we'll be complaining that he doesn't score enough.

I mean, yeah, he's never scored in the NHL playoffs. That's true. But he's never actually played in the NHL playoffs. He's got, like, 50 games of NHL experience. And he's, what, like, 16 years old? Pretty sure this is the first season that fellow blockhand Darren Helm has shown the slightest bit of real scoring prowess. (That he's 27 probably has something to do with it.)

I just think it's nitpicking, saying Kocur scored some playoff goals therefore Glendening is useless.

this kid was a tryout walk on at Michigan his freshman year. By time he was a junior he was captain of that team. He was basically the same thing here. A walk on tryout and he earned himself into an important role in this team. He probably won't become captain, but by time his career is over he most definitely will be wearing an A a few times.

Getting on Glendening because he hasn't scored a goal is totally missing the point of him. It's almost like getting on Nyquist because he doesn't block enough shots. In a tight playoff series, how do we know a shot that Nyquist doesn't block won't end up being the difference?

Glendening is a shutdown center. His duties lie 100% on the defensive side of the puck. Any offense he provides is essentially a bonus. He takes the vast majority of his faceoffs in the defensive zone. He's clutch on the PK. He checks and grinds and pushes, shoves, yaps, agitates. He frustrates the likes of Crosby and Stamkos. In a tight playoff series against a top-heavy team like the Pens, a Luke Glendening would, in theory, give our top three lines more room in the matchups battle. If Datsyuk doesn't have to shadow Crosby on every shift he takes, he's probably going to be more dangerous offensively. Maybe Helm can cheat up ice a little more. Throw in the last change at home and the fact that Babs is a matchup wizard, and that's potentially the difference in the series right there.

But that's not even the big thing with him. The big thing with him is that he works hard, plays the right way, takes care of business, is zero-maintence, etc. He's a coach's dream and the kind of guy you love to have on your team. I don't think it's totally a coincidence that Babs says Glendening's line was our best against the Sabres and then, bam!, he gets extended. Our team has problems with keeping it simple, giving consistent effort, staying focused, sustaining intensity, being responsible defensively, avoiding complacency. Those things aren't an issue for Glendening, and that's a big deal - for the team as a whole. That was on full display last night. He can be a steadying presence. Things getting dicey? Crosby running amok? Key PK? Too much cuteness? Throw Glendening's line over the boards. He may not score, but 1) big deal, and 2) he's going to score eventually, and then we'll be complaining that he doesn't score enough.

I mean, yeah, he's never scored in the NHL playoffs. That's true. But he's never actually played in the NHL playoffs. He's got, like, 50 games of NHL experience. And he's, what, like, 16 years old? Pretty sure this is the first season that fellow blockhand Darren Helm has shown the slightest bit of real scoring prowess. (That he's 27 probably has something to do with it.)

I just think it's nitpicking, saying Kocur scored some playoff goals therefore Glendening is useless.

Let's not get carried away here. He'll be 25 in a few weeks, and it's not like he's a Selke candidate. I agree the lack of offense shouldn't be a big concern, but it is worth noting. As it is, he looks like a decent 4th-line/reserve forward at a decent 4th-line/reserve price. Nothing to really get excited about.

Let's not get carried away here. He'll be 25 in a few weeks, and it's not like he's a Selke candidate. I agree the lack of offense shouldn't be a big concern, but it is worth noting. As it is, he looks like a decent 4th-line/reserve forward at a decent 4th-line/reserve price. Nothing to really get excited about.

Pretty much this. There are better options when the team is healthy, but when injuries hit, Glendening can at least do something well. I don't want him as a regular though, unless he improves.

I'm so tickled for Luke. I like his spirit and he's a great kid. Congrats on your first goal, and the future to boot, Luke! Couldn't happen to a nicer kid.

I'm so tickled for Luke. I like his spirit and he's a great kid. Congrats on your first goal, and the future to boot, Luke! Couldn't happen to a nicer kid.

Pretty much this. There are better options when the team is healthy, but when injuries hit, Glendening can at least do something well. I don't want him as a regular though, unless he improves.

He is a true 4th line shut down forward. He is exactly what we need and should have on the 4th line. He does his job perfectly. Why wouldn't you want that regularly in our lineup? Edited by Euro_Twins

He is a true 4th line shut down forward. He is exactly what we need and should have on the 4th line. He does his job perfectly. Why wouldn't you want that regularly in our lineup?

Because there are other forwards who can play defense who bring more offensively too. One dimensional is one dimensional, it doesn't matter if the guy is all offense and no defense like Leino, or all defense and no offense like Glendening. The comparisons to Matlby and McCarty are nice, but not accurate.

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Jurco

Nyquist-Legwand-Franzen

Tatar-Helm-Weiss

Miller-Sheahan-Abdelkader

That's 12 forwards better than Glendening. Andersson is also more skilled and good defensively, although Glendening is far more aggressive and adds something that Andersson doesn't, but so does Callahan, and Callahan has shown better hands than Glendening. I'd rather see Andersson and Callahan as the reserve forwards, and Glendening sent to GR as a call up.

If he's doing what he is signed to do, then the top players of other teams are not scoring goals either. Glendening effectively shut down Malkin and Crosby single handedly. He'll get a goal eventually

Eventually finally happened lmao .... Let's hope he gets another sooner than 51 games .... Its good for him to help shut down guys but like I said before to move on you need your bottom 6 guys to chip in with the odd goals.

Hopefully this goal gets him going

Edited by nyqvististhefuture

Because there are other forwards who can play defense who bring more offensively too. One dimensional is one dimensional, it doesn't matter if the guy is all offense and no defense like Leino, or all defense and no offense like Glendening. The comparisons to Matlby and McCarty are nice, but not accurate.

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Jurco

Nyquist-Legwand-Franzen

Tatar-Helm-Weiss

That's 12 forwards better than Glendening. Andersson is also more skilled and good defensively, although Glendening is far more aggressive and adds something that Andersson doesn't, but so does Callahan, and Callahan has shown better hands than Glendening. I'd rather see Andersson and Callahan as the reserve forwards, and Glendening sent to GR as a call up.

That's all good. But now you're eliminating z's offense by making him shut down the top lines again

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Jurco

Nyquist-Legwand-Franzen

Tatar-Helm-Weiss

I'm still failing to see the issue with Glendening. He's excelling as a shutdown center and agitator, he's been generating offense and chances, and now he's finally potted one. Callahan's a winger, and I tend not to put much stock in how good a fourth-liner's hands are. If we were absolutely starved for goals, I'd be worried. But we have firepower up front, even without Z.

I suppose this is sort of moot, though, because I mostly agree with your lineup. Indeed, I've found it pretty much impossible to squeeze any one of Andersson/Glendening/Callahan into all the different "ideal" lines I've been toying with. I've wanted Jurco on the top line with Z and D for a long while now; I believe our current top line would be dangerous as a second line; I'd have Weiss on the wing on the third line; and I'd want all of Helm, Sheahan, Tatar, Miller, and Abdelkader on the roster. And, I really do want Alfredsson back. I might swap in Alfredsson for Abdelkader, who hasn't impressed me this season.

I might hesitate to break up the kid line - but now I'm really straying from the topic. Glendening is awesome.