Photo
* * * * * 3 votes

Glendening signed to 3 year extension

signed

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#21 Andy Pred 48

Andy Pred 48

Coming soon,"the slovak line" Marek and 2 Toms!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 11:35 AM

next seasons 4th line Abby Helmer Luke, that would be a great shut down line with speed.

Good for him true blue collar type player.

"What are you guys doing?" Reggie Dunlop
"Putting on the foil coach" Jeff Hanson
"Yeah, every game, you want some coach?" Steve Hanson
"Er, no. No thanks guys." Reggie Dunlop
"Make sure they don't leave the bench!" Reggie Dunlop.

#22 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 11:35 AM

I've liked what I've seen out of Glendenning this year, but I also don't want to get carried away.  Joakim Andersson looked solid last year, this season, not so much.  Then there's Quincey and Kindl.  While the cap hit is so minimal, and for him, probably feels like he hit the jackpot, I just don't like how readily the Wings hand out longer term deals.  It just always seems to come back to bite us.

It's 3 years.  That's pretty standard league wide.  Usually the only players on one year deals are older guys at the end of their careers, guys trying to get to a UFA deal with a one year contract, or a guy who has to prove something.

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#23 WingsAlways

WingsAlways

Grind Line 2.0

• PipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 11:42 AM

No way, he's got Cleary locked up Silence of the Lambs style.

"It puts the biscuit in the basket or it gets the hose again"

Love this signing!

"Wow Chicago, you've won four Stanley Cups? Me too! - Kris Draper"

#24 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,878 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 01:55 PM

I'm good with this.  He does his job, likes dogs, and is signing relatively cheap. 

#25 loutswings

loutswings

Rookie

• Pip
  • 149 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 02:45 PM

Very solid signing for the right money!

#26 Nevermind

Nevermind

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 03:00 PM

$628K/year? Bit of an overpayment, honestly.

:hehe:

#27 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,959 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 03:46 PM

I can't believe nobody's asked yet...  Did Kenny give him a NTC?

#28 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,006 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 03:57 PM

I can't believe nobody's asked yet...  Did Kenny give him a NTC?

Either we use our second compliance buyout on him or trade him and Almqvist for Stamkos.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#29 nyqvististhefuture

nyqvististhefuture

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 04:11 PM

Sweet! Glendening is awesome.

Who friggin' cares about the goals as long as he's doing his actual job, which is stopping opposing players from scoring.

Who cares about goals? Who's gonna score if our top 2 lines get shut down in the playoffs? To make it far you need all 4 lines to chip in with goals from time to time

Darren McCarty cup winning goal vs flyers? Among a few others .... Maltby.... Draper

Hell even Joey kocur scored some nice playoff goals for us when we went on our cup runs

You can say who gives a crap if he doesn't score but chances are if he doesn't score a few in the playoffs along with miller or whom ever chances are we won't make it far

Edited by nyqvististhefuture, 05 April 2014 - 04:12 PM.

#30 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 04:45 PM

Who cares about goals? Who's gonna score if our top 2 lines get shut down in the playoffs? To make it far you need all 4 lines to chip in with goals from time to time

Darren McCarty cup winning goal vs flyers? Among a few others .... Maltby.... Draper

Hell even Joey kocur scored some nice playoff goals for us when we went on our cup runs

You can say who gives a crap if he doesn't score but chances are if he doesn't score a few in the playoffs along with miller or whom ever chances are we won't make it far

If he's doing what he is signed to do, then the top players of other teams are not scoring goals either. Glendening effectively shut down Malkin and Crosby single handedly. He'll get a goal eventually

#31 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,692 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 04:49 PM

Glendening will start scoring eventually. He is pretty focussed on other aspects of his game and that is what babs wants out of him. Nobody is expecting him to produce big - he is expected to give full effort out there and shut down opposing lines which he does very well. 

He actually does get one or two good chances per game but hasn't been able to bury them - I think that has to do with just being a guy who is searching hard for his first goal. 

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#32 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,587 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 05:32 PM

great hockey deal! Just about what I thought he'd get in cap hit as well! Now we got to get Tatar, Sheahan re-signed at reasonable deals because Dekeyser and Nyquist are gonna cost some buck$!

just a note, I know Nyquist has one more year left, but if he scores next season like he has this season, you are going to need to save some cap just un case.

Edited by LeftWinger, 05 April 2014 - 05:39 PM.

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

#33 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,006 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 05:32 PM

Getting on Glendening because he hasn't scored a goal is totally missing the point of him. It's almost like getting on Nyquist because he doesn't block enough shots. In a tight playoff series, how do we know a shot that Nyquist doesn't block won't end up being the difference?

Glendening is a shutdown center. His duties lie 100% on the defensive side of the puck. Any offense he provides is essentially a bonus. He takes the vast majority of his faceoffs in the defensive zone. He's clutch on the PK. He checks and grinds and pushes, shoves, yaps, agitates. He frustrates the likes of Crosby and Stamkos. In a tight playoff series against a top-heavy team like the Pens, a Luke Glendening would, in theory, give our top three lines more room in the matchups battle. If Datsyuk doesn't have to shadow Crosby on every shift he takes, he's probably going to be more dangerous offensively. Maybe Helm can cheat up ice a little more. Throw in the last change at home and the fact that Babs is a matchup wizard, and that's potentially the difference in the series right there.

But that's not even the big thing with him. The big thing with him is that he works hard, plays the right way, takes care of business, is zero-maintence, etc. He's a coach's dream and the kind of guy you love to have on your team. I don't think it's totally a coincidence that Babs says Glendening's line was our best against the Sabres and then, bam!, he gets extended. Our team has problems with keeping it simple, giving consistent effort, staying focused,  sustaining intensity, being responsible defensively, avoiding complacency. Those things aren't an issue for Glendening, and that's a big deal - for the team as a whole. That was on full display last night. He can be a steadying presence. Things getting dicey? Crosby running amok? Key PK? Too much cuteness? Throw Glendening's line over the boards. He may not score, but 1) big deal, and 2) he's going to score eventually, and then we'll be complaining that he doesn't score enough.

I mean, yeah, he's never scored in the NHL playoffs. That's true. But he's never actually played in the NHL playoffs. He's got, like, 50 games of NHL experience. And he's, what, like, 16 years old? Pretty sure this is the first season that fellow blockhand Darren Helm has shown the slightest bit of real scoring prowess. (That he's 27 probably has something to do with it.)

I just think it's nitpicking, saying Kocur scored some playoff goals therefore Glendening is useless.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#34 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,587 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 05:44 PM

this kid was a tryout walk on at Michigan his freshman year. By time he was a junior he was captain of that team. He was basically the same thing here. A walk on tryout and he earned himself into an important role in this team. He probably won't become captain, but by time his career is over he most definitely will be wearing an A a few times.

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

#35 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 05:51 PM

Either we use our second compliance buyout on him or trade him and Almqvist for Stamkos.

No way.  Kenny needs to get Stamkos plus their best prospect or he's a moron.

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#36 AtomicPunk

AtomicPunk

Nobody rules these streets at night like me...

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,099 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 09:49 PM

On Red Wings Live, the girl said "he sure earned that 3 year contract tonight, scoring his first career goal." Wow.

I am a victim of the science age...the underground.

Feed the Swede! - RETIRED 2012

#37 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,745 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 10:18 PM

Happy for him well deserved

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#38 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 10:44 PM

good deal. heck you can't bring up guys from GR for that cap hit.

#39 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 01:15 AM

Getting on Glendening because he hasn't scored a goal is totally missing the point of him. It's almost like getting on Nyquist because he doesn't block enough shots. In a tight playoff series, how do we know a shot that Nyquist doesn't block won't end up being the difference?

Glendening is a shutdown center. His duties lie 100% on the defensive side of the puck. Any offense he provides is essentially a bonus. He takes the vast majority of his faceoffs in the defensive zone. He's clutch on the PK. He checks and grinds and pushes, shoves, yaps, agitates. He frustrates the likes of Crosby and Stamkos. In a tight playoff series against a top-heavy team like the Pens, a Luke Glendening would, in theory, give our top three lines more room in the matchups battle. If Datsyuk doesn't have to shadow Crosby on every shift he takes, he's probably going to be more dangerous offensively. Maybe Helm can cheat up ice a little more. Throw in the last change at home and the fact that Babs is a matchup wizard, and that's potentially the difference in the series right there.

But that's not even the big thing with him. The big thing with him is that he works hard, plays the right way, takes care of business, is zero-maintence, etc. He's a coach's dream and the kind of guy you love to have on your team. I don't think it's totally a coincidence that Babs says Glendening's line was our best against the Sabres and then, bam!, he gets extended. Our team has problems with keeping it simple, giving consistent effort, staying focused,  sustaining intensity, being responsible defensively, avoiding complacency. Those things aren't an issue for Glendening, and that's a big deal - for the team as a whole. That was on full display last night. He can be a steadying presence. Things getting dicey? Crosby running amok? Key PK? Too much cuteness? Throw Glendening's line over the boards. He may not score, but 1) big deal, and 2) he's going to score eventually, and then we'll be complaining that he doesn't score enough.

I mean, yeah, he's never scored in the NHL playoffs. That's true. But he's never actually played in the NHL playoffs. He's got, like, 50 games of NHL experience. And he's, what, like, 16 years old? Pretty sure this is the first season that fellow blockhand Darren Helm has shown the slightest bit of real scoring prowess. (That he's 27 probably has something to do with it.)

I just think it's nitpicking, saying Kocur scored some playoff goals therefore Glendening is useless.

Let's not get carried away here. He'll be 25 in a few weeks, and it's not like he's a Selke candidate. I agree the lack of offense shouldn't be a big concern, but it is worth noting. As it is, he looks like a decent 4th-line/reserve forward at a decent 4th-line/reserve price. Nothing to really get excited about.

#40 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 07:01 AM

Let's not get carried away here. He'll be 25 in a few weeks, and it's not like he's a Selke candidate. I agree the lack of offense shouldn't be a big concern, but it is worth noting. As it is, he looks like a decent 4th-line/reserve forward at a decent 4th-line/reserve price. Nothing to really get excited about.

Pretty much this.  There are better options when the team is healthy, but when injuries hit, Glendening can at least do something well.  I don't want him as a regular though, unless he improves.