• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Nyquistfan14

Glendening signed to 3 year extension

Rate this topic

How is that a different role than he's played since early in his NHL career? Of those 12, who is worse than Glendening?

Better and worse is irrelevant and circumstantial. Different people fill different needs. I don't think Sheahan belongs on the fourth line and would be under utilized there, plus why break up the kid line? Glendening is a fantastic shutdown guy and for some reason agitates so well as to throw people off their game. And while it took him a long time to score it's not as if he wasn't generating his own chances. I think he'll end up scoring more than people think.

Edit: looking at the lines when everyone's healthy I'm not sure where you slot Sheahan, so ignore that fourth line part. I would rather have Glendening on the wing over Miller though, answering your question of who I think is worse. I'd also take Glendening over Andy everyday. I don't think Anderson brings much to the table, tangible or intangible, besides decent defense and face offs.

Edited by Wheelchairsuperhero

Hard to argue with the decision here. The cap hit speaks for itself. He basically is making minimum when earlier this year we put him out to shut down crosby. Is he the best player on the ice, no. Does he add heart and grit, yes. Reminds me of draper, but I think he will get moved to the wing. Basically I think he will end up being a more infuriating, cheaper, Drew Miller.

He hits less than Miller, Abdelkader, and Helm. He provides next to nothing in the offensive zone. He skates well enough and works hard enough to shadow another player and frustrate them, but that's not enough for a regular on a good NHL team. I like him as a reserve, but nothing more. Between him, Andersson, and Callahan, Glendening brings the least amount of offense. Andersson is better on faceoffs. Callahan is the better all around player between the two, and hits more and is just as irritating as Glendening. At the end of the day, he should be the 15th or 16th forward next year, depending on who is signed and who, if anyone, is lost on waivers.

He hits less than Miller, Abdelkader, and Helm. He provides next to nothing in the offensive zone. He skates well enough and works hard enough to shadow another player and frustrate them, but that's not enough for a regular on a good NHL team. I like him as a reserve, but nothing more. Between him, Andersson, and Callahan, Glendening brings the least amount of offense. Andersson is better on faceoffs. Callahan is the better all around player between the two, and hits more and is just as irritating as Glendening. At the end of the day, he should be the 15th or 16th forward next year, depending on who is signed and who, if anyone, is lost on waivers.

To say he brings less than Callahan is a bit naive. Callahan was up for one game. Glendenning came up and locked down a spot. Yes, Cally fights in the minors, but that does not mean he brings more than Glendenning. Glen was putting up points in GR and Cally is now doing the same. Points in the minors don't give a solid idea of a players offensive ability unless they are dominating the league.

In today's NHL, every roster needs useful players who are cheap and provide roster flexibility. Glendening provides all of that. His less than $700k per year for three years means we will have more money to spend elsewhere and a guy who can pick up valuable minutes checking, winning d-zone faceoffs and killing penalties.

Glendening is great on the pk, gritty, not afraid to mix it up, great defensively, makes us faster, annoying as all get out, and cheap. He'll probably move to the wing and add another decent faceoff guy to the 4th line. He can, and has been, sitting down some of the best forwards in the league on a regular basis. See our last game against Pittsburgh. Honestly what's not to like?