• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#41 Kira

Kira

"I hope you're not from KGB"

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,556 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 08:30 AM

I'm so tickled for Luke.  I like his spirit and he's a great kid.  Congrats on your first goal, and the future to boot, Luke!  Couldn't happen to a nicer kid.

I'm so tickled for Luke.  I like his spirit and he's a great kid.  Congrats on your first goal, and the future to boot, Luke!  Couldn't happen to a nicer kid.

Posted Image

#42 Kira

Kira

"I hope you're not from KGB"

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,556 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 08:35 AM

Posted Image

#43 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 08:50 AM

Pretty much this.  There are better options when the team is healthy, but when injuries hit, Glendening can at least do something well.  I don't want him as a regular though, unless he improves.

He is a true 4th line shut down forward. He is exactly what we need and should have on the 4th line. He does his job perfectly. Why wouldn't you want that regularly in our lineup?

Edited by Euro_Twins, 06 April 2014 - 08:51 AM.

#44 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 09:10 AM

He is a true 4th line shut down forward. He is exactly what we need and should have on the 4th line. He does his job perfectly. Why wouldn't you want that regularly in our lineup?

Because there are other forwards who can play defense who bring more offensively too.  One dimensional is one dimensional, it doesn't matter if the guy is all offense and no defense like Leino, or all defense and no offense like Glendening.  The comparisons to Matlby and McCarty are nice, but not accurate.

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Jurco

Nyquist-Legwand-Franzen

Tatar-Helm-Weiss

Miller-Sheahan-Abdelkader

That's 12 forwards better than Glendening.  Andersson is also more skilled and good defensively, although Glendening is far more aggressive and adds something that Andersson doesn't, but so does Callahan, and Callahan has shown better hands than Glendening.  I'd rather see Andersson and Callahan as the reserve forwards, and Glendening sent to GR as a call up.

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#45 nyqvististhefuture

nyqvististhefuture

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 09:19 AM

If he's doing what he is signed to do, then the top players of other teams are not scoring goals either. Glendening effectively shut down Malkin and Crosby single handedly. He'll get a goal eventually

Eventually finally happened lmao .... Let's hope he gets another sooner than 51 games .... Its good for him to help shut down guys but like I said before to move on you need your bottom 6 guys to chip in with the odd goals.

Hopefully this goal gets him going

Edited by nyqvististhefuture, 06 April 2014 - 09:20 AM.

#46 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,182 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 12:24 PM

I would assume 2.5 million for 3 years (833k per)

This is Babs new mancrush. He will be replacing Cleary.

I'm very ok with that.  Kid signs a 3 year contract and rewards us with his 1st goal.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

#47 Ekmanc

Ekmanc

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 810 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 02:30 PM

Still better than Cleary...

#48 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 02:32 PM

Because there are other forwards who can play defense who bring more offensively too.  One dimensional is one dimensional, it doesn't matter if the guy is all offense and no defense like Leino, or all defense and no offense like Glendening.  The comparisons to Matlby and McCarty are nice, but not accurate.

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Jurco
Nyquist-Legwand-Franzen
Tatar-Helm-Weiss

That's 12 forwards better than Glendening.  Andersson is also more skilled and good defensively, although Glendening is far more aggressive and adds something that Andersson doesn't, but so does Callahan, and Callahan has shown better hands than Glendening.  I'd rather see Andersson and Callahan as the reserve forwards, and Glendening sent to GR as a call up.

That's all good. But now you're eliminating z's offense by making him shut down the top lines again

#49 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,006 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 02:37 PM

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Jurco

Nyquist-Legwand-Franzen

Tatar-Helm-Weiss

I'm still failing to see the issue with Glendening. He's excelling as a shutdown center and agitator, he's been generating offense and chances, and now he's finally potted one. Callahan's a winger, and I tend not to put much stock in how good a fourth-liner's hands are. If we were absolutely starved for goals, I'd be worried. But we have firepower up front, even without Z.

I suppose this is sort of moot, though, because I mostly agree with your lineup. Indeed, I've found it pretty much impossible to squeeze any one of Andersson/Glendening/Callahan into all the different "ideal" lines I've been toying with. I've wanted Jurco on the top line with Z and D for a long while now; I believe our current top line would be dangerous as a second line; I'd have Weiss on the wing on the third line; and I'd want all of Helm, Sheahan, Tatar, Miller, and Abdelkader on the roster. And, I really do want Alfredsson back. I might swap in Alfredsson for Abdelkader, who hasn't impressed me this season.

I might hesitate to break up the kid line - but now I'm really straying from the topic. Glendening is awesome.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#50 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 03:11 PM

That's all good. But now you're eliminating z's offense by making him shut down the top lines again

How is that a different role than he's played since early in his NHL career? Of those 12, who is worse than Glendening?  

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#51 Wheelchairsuperhero

Wheelchairsuperhero

Wizard

• PipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 03:39 PM

How is that a different role than he's played since early in his NHL career? Of those 12, who is worse than Glendening?  

Better and worse is irrelevant and circumstantial. Different people fill different needs. I don't think Sheahan belongs on the fourth line and would be under utilized there, plus why break up the kid line? Glendening is a fantastic shutdown guy and for some reason agitates so well as to throw people off their game. And while it took him a long time to score it's not as if he wasn't generating his own chances. I think he'll end up scoring more than people think.

Edit: looking at the lines when everyone's healthy I'm not sure where you slot Sheahan, so ignore that fourth line part. I would rather have Glendening on the wing over Miller though, answering your question of who I think is worse. I'd also take Glendening over Andy everyday. I don't think Anderson brings much to the table, tangible or intangible, besides decent defense and face offs.

Edited by Wheelchairsuperhero, 06 April 2014 - 03:47 PM.

#52 wingedominance13

wingedominance13

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 03:51 PM

Hard to argue with the decision here. The cap hit speaks for itself. He basically is making minimum when earlier this year we put him out to shut down crosby. Is he the best player on the ice, no. Does he add heart and grit, yes. Reminds me of draper, but I think he will get moved to the wing. Basically I think he will end up being a more infuriating, cheaper, Drew Miller.

#53 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 05:28 PM

He hits less than Miller, Abdelkader, and Helm.  He provides next to nothing in the offensive zone.  He skates well enough and works hard enough to shadow another player and frustrate them, but that's not enough for a regular on a good NHL team.  I like him as a reserve, but nothing more.  Between him, Andersson, and Callahan, Glendening brings the least amount of offense.  Andersson is better on faceoffs.  Callahan is the better all around player between the two, and hits more and is just as irritating as Glendening.  At the end of the day, he should be the 15th or 16th forward next year, depending on who is signed and who, if anyone, is lost on waivers.

#54 Internet.Unknown

Internet.Unknown

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 06:44 PM

Babcock has said that Glendening is as competitive as some of the game's greats (Yzerman, Crosby have been mentioned). There is more to this kid than his offensive stats.

#55 wingedominance13

wingedominance13

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 07:17 PM

He hits less than Miller, Abdelkader, and Helm.  He provides next to nothing in the offensive zone.  He skates well enough and works hard enough to shadow another player and frustrate them, but that's not enough for a regular on a good NHL team.  I like him as a reserve, but nothing more.  Between him, Andersson, and Callahan, Glendening brings the least amount of offense.  Andersson is better on faceoffs.  Callahan is the better all around player between the two, and hits more and is just as irritating as Glendening.  At the end of the day, he should be the 15th or 16th forward next year, depending on who is signed and who, if anyone, is lost on waivers.

To say he brings less than Callahan is a bit naive. Callahan was up for one game. Glendenning came up and locked down a spot. Yes, Cally fights in the minors, but that does not mean he brings more than Glendenning. Glen was putting up points in GR and Cally is now doing the same. Points in the minors don't give a solid idea of a players offensive ability unless they are dominating the league. 

#56 paulwoodsfan

paulwoodsfan

Rookie

• Pip
  • 172 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 08:18 PM

In today's NHL, every roster needs useful players who are cheap and provide roster flexibility. Glendening provides all of that. His less than $700k per year for three years means we will have more money to spend elsewhere and a guy who can pick up valuable minutes checking, winning d-zone faceoffs and killing penalties.

#57 wings4thecup06

wings4thecup06

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 797 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 01:09 PM

If Callahan brought more to the table than Glendening, I'm sure it'd be Cally who'd be up in Detroit right now instead of Luke. He came up, grabbed a spot and didn't let go. He'll be in the lineup next season for sure.

temp 1

#58 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 03:22 PM

Glendening can play center. They had a ton of centers hurt. Glendening got the call. Callahan has never played center, but he is good defensively and has better hands.

#59 nawein

nawein

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 03:32 PM

Glendening is great on the pk, gritty, not afraid to mix it up, great defensively, makes us faster, annoying as all get out, and cheap. He'll probably move to the wing and add another decent faceoff guy to the 4th line. He can, and has been, sitting down some of the best forwards in the league on a regular basis. See our last game against Pittsburgh. Honestly what's not to like?

#60 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,840 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 04:20 PM

Another bottom 6 on a team with 12 bottom 6ers, yay!

Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt