• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
DatsyukianDekes

Lightning sign GM Yzerman to contract extension

Rate this topic

The Tampa Bay Lightning have signed general manager Steve Yzerman to a four-year contract extension. Yzerman had one year left on his current contract.

The Lightning are heading to the Stanley Cup Playoffs for the second time in Yzerman's four seasons. They made it all the way to Game 7 of the Eastern Conference Final in 2011 before losing to the eventual Stanley Cup champion Boston Bruins.

"Since the day Steve agreed to serve as our vice president and general manager, he has worked tirelessly to transform our hockey department and establish the groundwork for sustained success," Lightning chairman and governor Jeff Vinik said in making the announcement. "We are very pleased with Steve's job performance thus far, and I am fully confident Steve remains the right person to continue to lead us.

"Organizationally, we remain committed to playing at the highest levels each season -- regularly competing for the Stanley Cup -- and I am very pleased that Steve has elected to be our leader for the next several years."

With Yzerman as general manager, the Lightning are 144-114-32 in just under four full seasons.

"I'm grateful for the opportunity to continue the process we started four years ago and would like to thank Jeff Vinik for entrusting me with the responsibility of leading the Tampa Bay Lightning," Yzerman said. "I'm very excited about what lies ahead for our organization and truly enjoy working with a fantastic group of people in Tampa Bay."

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=713308&navid=DL|NHL|home

Great for Stevie!

Edited by darkmanx

After the Legwand deal Holland needs to be canned, but I guess the dream of Stevie coming to replace him is a pipe dream now.

FYI since joining the Wings

Legwand: .56 ppg

Jarnkrok .75 ppg

After the Legwand deal Holland needs to be canned, but I guess the dream of Stevie coming to replace him is a pipe dream now.

Jarnkrok .75 ppg

Ya a whole 8 games nhl experience. Watch out here comes the next yzerman

Also legwand has 17 games and 10 points. Well see how many points jarnkrok gets in a full season before we decide we lost the next gretzky

Ya a whole 8 games nhl experience. Watch out here comes the next yzerman

Also legwand has 17 games and 10 points. Well see how many points jarnkrok gets in a full season before we decide we lost the next gretzky

Holy strawman, if you're going to try to sound intelligent instead of snarky don't put words into my mouth. And while you're right 8 games isn't huge, usually the transition into the NHL is the point where it is hardest to produce. All that being said, had the Wings used Jarnkrok over the same period of time it looks like they would be in the same position as they are now.

Also if you look at it since Legwand has come to Detroit he has been worse than he was in Nashville by almost a tenth of a point or about a 15% drop in production.

Edited by Shaman

Jarnkrok .75 ppg

Get over it. They're not even close to the same players. Legwand is a three zone centerman with tons of experience. Jarnkrok is an unproven, but promising playmaker. I'm not qualifying either, but to list that single stat as a means of justifying one's worth over the other is absolutely ridiculous.

In 1990 Paul Cavalinni was +38. Yzerman was -6. Again, I'm not comparing either player today to Yzerman or Cavalinni, but you can't judge a book based on the opening sentence.

Get over it. They're not even close to the same players. Legwand is a three zone centerman with tons of experience. Jarnkrok is an unproven, but promising playmaker. I'm not qualifying either, but to list that single stat as a means of justifying one's worth over the other is absolutely ridiculous.

In 1990 Paul Cavalinni was +38. Yzerman was -6. Again, I'm not comparing either player today to Yzerman or Cavalinni, but you can't judge a book based on the opening sentence.

What was Legwand brought to do? To replace scoring depth at center. Has Legwand produced more than what was sent in return for him? Quantitatively? Yes, qualitatively? No. As such if Jarnkrok only plays 4 more games at this pace and never plays again at this level for the rest of his career one can still qualify the trade an overpayment just on the merit of what was gained vs what was lost. There is also the matter of the 2nd round pick that they sent over which I haven't even brought up.

Also since we are talking stats, Legwand has 2 PP points, and is -8, we can make that -6, which would be evidence he's not that great of a three zone center since he got here. Also just from watching him he hasn't looked like the defensive stalwart you are making him out to be, his defense seems subpar at best.

Edited by Shaman

What was Legwand brought to do? To replace scoring depth at center. Has Legwand produced more than what was sent in return for him? Quantitatively? Yes, qualitatively? No. As such if Jarnkrok only plays 4 more games at this pace and never plays again at this level for the rest of his career one can still qualify the trade an overpayment just on the merit of what was gained vs what was lost. There is also the matter of the 2nd round pick that they sent over which I haven't even brought up.

Also since we are talking stats, Legwand has 2 PP points, and is -8, we can make that -6, which would be evidence he's not that great of a three zone center since he got here. Also just from watching him he hasn't looked like the defensive stalwart you are making him out to be, his defense seems subpar at best.

That's just your opinion. I think he was brought in for his complete 3 zone game, veteran stability and experience - points aren't everything.

Maybe I shouldn't have responded. I always feel the need to, but then I'm just contributing to the flogging of this dead horse...

Edited by PavelValerievichDatsyuk

That's just your opinion. I think he was brought in for his complete 3 zone game, veteran stability and experience - points aren't everything.

Maybe I shouldn't have responded. I always feel the need to, but then I'm just contributing to the flogging of this dead horse...

If he was brought in for a complete three zone game than Holland should be fired on the spot, his defense since he joined the Wings hasn't been even a shade of what it was in Nashville. The Wings brought him in after it was announced that Dats would be shutdown for 3 weeks+ and Holland justified it in interviews as a move to bolster the offensive depth at center.

Can Yzerman win something...anything...before we go anointing him the next best thing. He's only made the playoffs twice in his tenure, hasn't won a conference championship, and hasn't ever made it to the Cup finals. You'd think the Lightening were absolutely dominant the way people bestow praise on him.

I know all the homers love the thought of Stevie Y coming back to Detroit and being a Wing again. I love that story too. But what if he comes back and we're worse? What if Holland's just that much better? What if Stevie isn't capable of finding those late round gems (lost in all this "Holland Sucks" talk is the fact that he drafted Jurco, Nyquist, Tatar, Sheahan, Marchenko, Sproul, Quellet, and Mrazek lately)? What if Steve's only ever the thing he's been up till now, a .500 GM at the playoff level?

Not so romantic now is it?

Until he wins and proves he's a qualified candidate, I don't want him anywhere near the Detroit Red Wings General Manager's Office.

Edited by kipwinger

If he was brought in for a complete three zone game than Holland should be fired on the spot, his defense since he joined the Wings hasn't been even a shade of what it was in Nashville. The Wings brought him in after it was announced that Dats would be shutdown for 3 weeks+ and Holland justified it in interviews as a move to bolster the offensive depth at center.

I'm sorry but how can you sit here and complain about what Legwand has brought to this team over the last month, when considering, we're now sitting firmly in a wild card spot, on the cusp of hopefully making the postseason, the fact that he's a minus is irrelevant, as we all know +/- is flawed, and stats are not and never will be truly indicative of defensive ability, nor intangibles and veteran knowhow from someone who's played nearly 1000 games now and been a very productive 2 way forward.

As for Jarnkrok, anyone would have thought we'd given up the world to get Legwand judging by the response on here. If we miss the playoffs, then maybe the 'Holland made a bad deal' argument has some leverage. You and everyone else are entitled to there opinions, but really do we have to keep bringing this up in every thread? The trade happened, Jarnkrok's not coming back, so let's move on and get behind the team that we have so they can make it into the playoffs.

http://www.detroitnews.com/VideoNetwork/3299445692001/Ken-Holland-on-Legwand-Datsyuk

Never mentions Offence. He was never expected to be an offensive juggernaut. That said, he has done pretty well offensively - in my opinion - especially when we most needed it right after the deadline. Coming in to a brand new organization in the middle of a playoff hunt helped keep us afloat and now guys have started to come back

Also just from watching him he hasn't looked like the defensive stalwart you are making him out to be

Ok, didn't you just cry strawman, yet now you're equating saying that a center is defensively responsible = being a stalwart?

Edited by Z and D for the C

Can Yzerman win something...anything...before we go anointing him the next best thing. He's only made the playoffs twice in his tenure, hasn't won a conference championship, and hasn't ever made it to the Cup finals. You'd think the Lightening were absolutely dominant the way people bestow praise on him.

I know all the homers love the thought of Stevie Y coming back to Detroit and being a Wing again. I love that story too. But what if he comes back and we're worse? What if Holland's just that much better? What if Stevie isn't capable of finding those late round gems (lost in all this "Holland Sucks" talk is the fact that he drafted Jurco, Nyquist, Tatar, Sheahan, Marchenko, Sproul, Quellet, and Mrazek lately)? What if Steve's only ever the thing he's been up till now, a .500 GM at the playoff level?

Not so romantic now is it?

Until he wins and proves he's a qualified candidate, I don't want him anywhere near the Detroit Red Wings General Manager's Office.

For a GM that just lost two franchise players in a very short period of time (through no fault of his own), Yzerman is doing pretty great. I know what you're saying, but I think why people here like him so much is that he has the balls to make big moves and shake things up to improve the team. And those moves are working. And the staff responsible for our incredible drafting goes way way deeper than just Ken Holland.

For a GM that just lost two franchise players in a very short period of time (through no fault of his own), Yzerman is doing pretty great. I know what you're saying, but I think why people here like him so much is that he has the balls to make big moves and shake things up to improve the team. And those moves are working. And the staff responsible for our incredible drafting goes way way deeper than just Ken Holland.

You think people here like him because of what he has or has not done as a GM? Maybe. But my guess is people like him because he's Steve Yzerman and they're in love with the idea of "the Captain" coming back to Detroit. As such they'd likely be in favor of him coming back no matter whether he was any good at his job or not.

Also Yzerman most definitely had something do to with a trade demand that was directly linked to his (Yzerman's) actions. I think you're being a little loose with your history if you think his hands were tied on the St. Louis trade, and I totally disagree that Lecavalier was a "franchise player". Maybe once, but not anymore. Good move on Yzerman's part for buying him out, but it's not like he was trading Gretzky in his prime or anything. Lecavalier is and was done.

Edited by kipwinger

Congrats to Stevie. He deserved the extension.

Whether we like him or not Holland isn't going anywhere, he'll get his own extension in a couple years if he's interested in continuing as GM.

Nothing like having immunity at your job. It'd be nice if we all had that, eh?