• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#21 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,572 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 06:55 PM

For a GM that just lost two franchise players in a very short period of time (through no fault of his own), Yzerman is doing pretty great. I know what you're saying, but I think why people here like him so much is that he has the balls to make big moves and shake things up to improve the team. And those moves are working. And the staff responsible for our incredible drafting goes way way deeper than just Ken Holland.

You think people here like him because of what he has or has not done as a GM?  Maybe.  But my guess is people like him because he's Steve Yzerman and they're in love with the idea of "the Captain" coming back to Detroit.  As such they'd likely be in favor of him coming back no matter whether he was any good at his job or not. 

Also Yzerman most definitely had something do to with a trade demand that was directly linked to his (Yzerman's) actions.  I think you're being a little loose with your history if you think his hands were tied on the St. Louis trade, and I totally disagree that Lecavalier was a "franchise player".  Maybe once, but not anymore.  Good move on Yzerman's part for buying him out, but it's not like he was trading Gretzky in his prime or anything.  Lecavalier is and was done. 

Edited by kipwinger, 07 April 2014 - 07:01 PM.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#22 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,662 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 07:45 PM

Me too, but I don't believe Kenny wants to move up.

Move up to what?  Ownership?

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#23 FlashyG

FlashyG

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 08:59 PM

Congrats to Stevie. He deserved the extension. 

Whether we like him or not Holland isn't going anywhere, he'll get his own extension in a couple years if he's interested in continuing as GM.

#24 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,662 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 09:10 PM

Congrats to Stevie. He deserved the extension. 

Whether we like him or not Holland isn't going anywhere, he'll get his own extension in a couple years if he's interested in continuing as GM.

Nothing like having immunity at your job.  It'd be nice if we all had that, eh?

#25 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,572 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 09:15 PM

Nothing like having immunity at your job.  It'd be nice if we all had that, eh?

Successfully help build your organization to the very pinnacle of your industry and then keep it there for 22 years and you might.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#26 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 09:31 PM

Move up to what?  Ownership?

Moving up would be, the WIngs creating a President position above the GM and move Holland up. This has been a popular move by many sports franchises to promote long time team GM's and get new breath into an organization. 

"He usually shows up when the game is over and tries to be the hero. Puts his cape on and goes and flies out there." ~ Franzen 

#27 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,662 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 09:37 PM

Successfully help build your organization to the very pinnacle of your industry and then keep it there for 22 years and you might.

What about the last few years?  Don't count or matter?

#28 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 09:41 PM

Moving up would be, the WIngs creating a President position above the GM and move Holland up. This has been a popular move by many sports franchises to promote long time team GM's and get new breath into an organization. 

Devellano essentially did that and already occupies that position. He is around 70 though and I could see Holland eventually take his position.

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#29 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 09:48 PM

Devellano essentially did that and already occupies that position. He is around 70 though and I could see Holland eventually take his position.

Yeah, that would work. I don't want to see Devellano leave, but if he wants to semi-retire he could always become a special adviser like Scotty Bowman. 

"He usually shows up when the game is over and tries to be the hero. Puts his cape on and goes and flies out there." ~ Franzen 

#30 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,840 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 10:15 PM

He's only been GM for the last 15 years or so, not the last 22.

Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#31 FlashyG

FlashyG

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 10:22 PM

Personally I think in a few years when Nyquist and Tatar are carrying the team offensively, with a couple of Dekeyser, Smith, Sproul, Ouellet, Marchenko or Backman carrying the defensive load. We'll be looking at these last few years in a much more positive light than we are right now.

Teams like Edmonton are insanely jealous of how we've managed to rebuild on the fly. 

He's made some bad signings and a couple of questionable trades, but what GM hasn't? What he'll be evaluated on is how well the organization transitions from the Euro Twins era into whatever the next generation of our team is.

#32 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,750 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 11:24 PM

Stevie Y has won back to back gold medals with Canada didn't shy away from tough decisions even regarding the feelings of a little midget. Rebuilt Tampa Bay and their ahl club and drafted gems like Palat, Hedman and now Drouin. Yes the Wings are still finding gems but not at the same rate they used to do. In terms of Nyquist a lot of credit has to go again to Hakan Anderson he just finds Swedish jewels amazing. So to me y has shown enough skills

Edited by frankgrimes, 07 April 2014 - 11:46 PM.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#33 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 11:45 PM

What about the last few years for Tampa Bay?

Half this board wants Kenny crucified because we've declined to borderline playoff team. Yzerman started with a team that finished 7th overall (only 1 point less than Detroit that year) and went to the conference finals, dropped to 20th overall and out of the playoffs the next year, 28th overall and fighting for the 1st pick last year, and now rebounded to a similar spot as us and still worse than when he started. Board went ape nuts when we traded a kid who had never played in the NHL, I can't even imagine the hell that would have rained down had Kenny traded Datsyuk for Callahan, much less been rumored to be the reason for Datsyuk demanding a trade.

If what's happened in TB under Stevie had happened here under Kenny, I'm sure someone here would already have a time machine built and Kenny's mom would be in big trouble...

#34 FlashyG

FlashyG

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 12:40 AM

Stevie Y has won back to back gold medals with Canada didn't shy away from tough decisions even regarding the feelings of a little midget. Rebuilt Tampa Bay and their ahl club and drafted gems like Palat, Hedman and now Drouin. Yes the Wings are still finding gems but not at the same rate they used to do. In terms of Nyquist a lot of credit has to go again to Hakan Anderson he just finds Swedish jewels amazing. So to me y has shown enough skills

You can't have it both ways, if you're going to give Yzerman the credit for his draft choices then you have to give credit to Holland the credit for the Wings. Conversely, If you're going to give all the draft credit to Hakan Andersson then the credit for the Lightnings impressive prospect pool should go to their scouting staff.

As far as Team Canada is concerned, Steve was the executive director, but he was only one of MANY people making the decisions regarding the roster. Included in the group choosing the team was Bob Nicholson, Brad Pascall, Doug Armstrong, Peter Chiarelli, Ken Holland, and Kevin Lowe.

Yzerman has become a very good GM and definitely deserves a ton of respect for what he's done with the Lightning, but Ken Holland is a surefire first ballot Hall of Fame GM, who is the man who taught Yzerman most of what he knows about running a franchise.

#35 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,750 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 01:29 AM

You can't have it both ways, if you're going to give Yzerman the credit for his draft choices then you have to give credit to Holland the credit for the Wings. Conversely, If you're going to give all the draft credit to Hakan Andersson then the credit for the Lightnings impressive prospect pool should go to their scouting staff.

As far as Team Canada is concerned, Steve was the executive director, but he was only one of MANY people making the decisions regarding the roster. Included in the group choosing the team was Bob Nicholson, Brad Pascall, Doug Armstrong, Peter Chiarelli, Ken Holland, and Kevin Lowe.

Yzerman has become a very good GM and definitely deserves a ton of respect for what he's done with the Lightning, but Ken Holland is a surefire first ballot Hall of Fame GM, who is the man who taught Yzerman most of what he knows about running a franchise.

And Scotty Bowman taught Holland how to run a franchise so what ? Wanting Y running the franchise is NOTHING against Holland. I really don't understand why some people are so surprised about a simple fact, wanting The Captain back is just a usual thing. Just ask the Avalanche how happy they are with the job Sakic has been doing.

Yzerman had to revamp the whole organization starting with the AHL, he was the one who fired scouts and hired better ones he was the one who got Vinnik's ok to spent more for better scouts and so on...he had to deal with a lot more troubles than Holland and that's a fact. Yeah team Canada had a huge braintrust but at the end of the day Stevie could have overruled all of them he didn't and the results are speaking for themselves a superb performance and one of the best Canadian teams ever with a stunning result.

Yes, Holland is a surefire HHOF GM and one of the best ever but IF Chiarelli is not available my pick would be Yzerman now with the 4 year contract extension he won't be able to come here so we all better hope Holland gets creative with the CBA again and is making use of an almost blank Ilitch check in order to get this team back to where it needs to be = on TOP of the NHL = players shouldn't have to think twice about coming here, they should WANT to come here and getting paid whatever they deserve in order to ice a team like 2002 again.

Edited by frankgrimes, 08 April 2014 - 01:30 AM.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#36 FlashyG

FlashyG

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 02:48 AM

And Scotty Bowman taught Holland how to run a franchise so what ? Wanting Y running the franchise is NOTHING against Holland. I really don't understand why some people are so surprised about a simple fact, wanting The Captain back is just a usual thing. Just ask the Avalanche how happy they are with the job Sakic has been doing.

Yzerman had to revamp the whole organization starting with the AHL, he was the one who fired scouts and hired better ones he was the one who got Vinnik's ok to spent more for better scouts and so on...he had to deal with a lot more troubles than Holland and that's a fact. Yeah team Canada had a huge braintrust but at the end of the day Stevie could have overruled all of them he didn't and the results are speaking for themselves a superb performance and one of the best Canadian teams ever with a stunning result.

Yes, Holland is a surefire HHOF GM and one of the best ever but IF Chiarelli is not available my pick would be Yzerman now with the 4 year contract extension he won't be able to come here so we all better hope Holland gets creative with the CBA again and is making use of an almost blank Ilitch check in order to get this team back to where it needs to be = on TOP of the NHL = players shouldn't have to think twice about coming here, they should WANT to come here and getting paid whatever they deserve in order to ice a team like 2002 again.

Scotty Bowman didn't teach Holland or anyone else for that matter a thing about being a GM. He is the greatest coach in the history of the sport but as a GM he was definitely nothing special. 

You're also misinformed about how much Yzerman changed in Tampa. Murray their director of Amateur Scouting who runs their entire scouting system and their drafts was already in place before Yzerman ever arrived, as was most of the rest of the scouting team in Tampa, including their European scouts and their QMJHL scout who were responsible for scouting Palat, Gudas, Kucherov, Vasilievski and Drouin.

Hedman was also scouted by their European scout, and was actually drafted before Yzerman got to Tampa. 

I completely understand the sentimental reason to want him back...he was my favorite player, but he's not better than the GM we already have. Yzerman has made some great moves in Tampa, hiring Cooper to coach first their AHL team and now the big club was a great one, as was the St. Louis trade and getting Bishop. Still though his team isn't even doing as well as it was when he first took over. He's not going to turn the team into the 2002 Red Wings again, the salary cap has made that impossible. No GM is going to be able to duplicate that kind of team as long as it exists.

Their prospect pool is deep, but so is ours and Holland and company have stocked ours without getting a blue chip player in the top 3 like Drouin.  

I do agree on Chiarelli though, if we were to replace Holland he's the only guy I think could come close to filling his shoes.

#37 Wings_Toledo

Wings_Toledo

Seeing Red

• PipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 07:04 AM

Enough crying about the Jarnkrok trade.  There's no guarantee that he would have come in and scored points at the rate he was/is doing it in Nashville.  Different systems, different situations.  On that note, congrats to Yzerman.  He needs a few more years to allow his moves and picks to pan out in Tampa and to gain more experience at his position.

#38 wingedominance13

wingedominance13

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 07:14 AM

I have zero problem with Yzerman re-upping. The only way he comes back to the wings is when KH is done. Until then he is not going to take a demotion. It'll be a happy day when he takes over, but that day is still a ways away.

#39 MaynardJmzKeenan

MaynardJmzKeenan

Prospect

• 45 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 07:17 AM

After the Legwand deal Holland needs to be canned, but I guess the dream of Stevie coming to replace him is a pipe dream now.

FYI since joining the Wings

Legwand: .56 ppg

Jarnkrok .75 ppg

Hey,we needed him here in Nashville more than in Detroit. He fits in perfect here ;-) on topic, this really does suck, i was really hoping Stevey Y would be our gm in a few years, maybe even next year :-( I still think he'll be back one day, just not as soon as I'd of liked him to be. Must trust in Kenny for a bit longer I guess

#40 MaynardJmzKeenan

MaynardJmzKeenan

Prospect

• 45 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 07:36 AM

For a GM that just lost two franchise players in a very short period of time (through no fault of his own), Yzerman is doing pretty great. I know what you're saying, but I think why people here like him so much is that he has the balls to make big moves and shake things up to improve the team. And those moves are working. And the staff responsible for our incredible drafting goes way way deeper than just Ken Holland.

QFT, well said...