• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#41 Shutemdown

Shutemdown

Instigator

• PipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 02:59 PM

WOW. JUST WOW. Still so many people butt-hurt about the Legwand trade? Y'know what? Holland should have just dressed Jarnkrok as our #1-4 centers and we'd probably be at 110 pts and first place in our division. Getting really sick of hearing all of the crying about Legwand and Holland as a bad GM. Try to take your fingers off the keys for a sec and realize that it needed to be done and, realistically, that we might not be sitting where we are right now if it wasn't for Legwand being brought in.

Just my 2 cents. You can't drink that milk anymore, stop f'in crying over it.

#42 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 03:11 PM

WOW. JUST WOW. Still so many people butt-hurt about the Legwand trade? Y'know what? Holland should have just dressed Jarnkrok as our #1-4 centers and we'd probably be at 110 pts and first place in our division. Getting really sick of hearing all of the crying about Legwand and Holland as a bad GM. Try to take your fingers off the keys for a sec and realize that it needed to be done and, realistically, that we might not be sitting where we are right now if it wasn't for Legwand being brought in.

Just my 2 cents. You can't drink that milk anymore, stop f'in crying over it.

How about not reading it then if it annoys you so much ?

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#43 Shutemdown

Shutemdown

Instigator

• PipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 05:05 PM

Kind of hard when it pops up in every other thread, and in non-related threads.

But touche. Ya got me. I will turn my "monotony" and "kicking a dead horse" filters on so that I can avoid mix-ups like this is the future.

That being said, Yzerman deserves this kind of success after everything he accomplished throughout his career, and I am happy to see that he has a found a home that appreciates him as much as we all did. It is, indeed, sad to see him wearing any colors besides the red and white, but in a way I just feel lucky to have watched him growing into the great captain that he was here in Detroit. We had him in our family for a looong time. At this point, he has earned it!

Edited by Shutemdown, 08 April 2014 - 05:15 PM.

#44 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,686 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 08:07 PM

What about the last few years?  Don't count or matter?

Yeah because making the playoffs is horrible. 

He's only been GM for the last 15 years or so, not the last 22.

I think that would fall under the "successfully help build your organization to the pinnacle of your industry" part.  He was the head of scouting before he was the GM.  Given how good our scouting was during his tenure (Fedorov, Lidstrom, Osgood, McCarty, Konstantinov, etc. etc. etc.) I'd say his work qualifies as "helping build the organization". 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#45 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 08:41 PM

And Scotty Bowman taught Holland how to run a franchise so what ? Wanting Y running the franchise is NOTHING against Holland. I really don't understand why some people are so surprised about a simple fact, wanting The Captain back is just a usual thing. Just ask the Avalanche how happy they are with the job Sakic has been doing.

Yzerman had to revamp the whole organization starting with the AHL, he was the one who fired scouts and hired better ones he was the one who got Vinnik's ok to spent more for better scouts and so on...he had to deal with a lot more troubles than Holland and that's a fact. Yeah team Canada had a huge braintrust but at the end of the day Stevie could have overruled all of them he didn't and the results are speaking for themselves a superb performance and one of the best Canadian teams ever with a stunning result.

Yes, Holland is a surefire HHOF GM and one of the best ever but IF Chiarelli is not available my pick would be Yzerman now with the 4 year contract extension he won't be able to come here so we all better hope Holland gets creative with the CBA again and is making use of an almost blank Ilitch check in order to get this team back to where it needs to be = on TOP of the NHL = players shouldn't have to think twice about coming here, they should WANT to come here and getting paid whatever they deserve in order to ice a team like 2002 again.

Dude, you're not going to see 2002 again.  Anytime a GM, like Holland, gets "creative" with the CBA, like long contracts, the league puts the kabosh on it.  The league wants parity.  That's why we have the salary cap. With the most recent CBA, the home team has the advantage in signing their player, and as a result, fewer and fewer players are going to hit the open market.  No team can really offer that much more than any other, that's why guys are choosing things like playing near home, etc.  

Hate on Holland all you want, but he's been an overwhelming success.  Despite very few high draft picks, he's been able to basically rebuild on the fly for a second time.  The future looks incredibly bright for the Red Wings.  Ask Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Washington, Buffalo, NYI  etc, if they'd like to "fail" as much as the Wings have.  

#46 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 04:59 PM

Yeah because making the playoffs is horrible. 

I think that would fall under the "successfully help build your organization to the pinnacle of your industry" part.  He was the head of scouting before he was the GM.  Given how good our scouting was during his tenure (Fedorov, Lidstrom, Osgood, McCarty, Konstantinov, etc. etc. etc.) I'd say his work qualifies as "helping build the organization". 

My issue with him isn't his past. My issue is he seems to be very complacent. It happens to the best of them, but, sometimes it's best for both parties to move on. 

Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#47 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,686 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 06:50 PM

My issue with him isn't his past. My issue is he seems to be very complacent. It happens to the best of them, but, sometimes it's best for both parties to move on. 

He's not complacent, he does lots of things to improve the team.  Your problem with him is that you don't agree with those things.  In the past three years he signed Alfredsson, Weiss, Gustavsson, Tootoo, and Samuelsson, and traded for Quincey and Legwand.  Conservatively speaking that an acquisition of three top six forwards (Legwand, Alfie, Weiss), two bottom six forwards, and a backup goalie who's currently playing better than our starter.  He also locked up Datsyuk for the remainder of his career, and signed Jimmy, Smith, and most of our young guys to cap friendly contracts. 

That's a s*** ton.  If you don't like it, fine, I'm not here to convince you.  But don't mask your objection in this "he's complacent" language because it's demonstrably false. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."