• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
SDavis35

Jack Adams award discussion and speculation

Rate this topic

I've never liked the whole "coached the team well despite injuries" argument. By that rationale Blysma should win it, considering Pittsburgh has more injuries to equally important players, and has a better record.

I've never liked the whole "coached the team well despite injuries" argument. By that rationale Blysma should win it, considering Pittsburgh has more injuries to equally important players, and has a better record.

I think Bylsma should get consideration, though I wouldn't say they've had more injuries to important players. It's fairly even, with the Wings being worse at forward and the Pens worse on defense. I think it comes down to what value you want to assume for Weiss and Vokoun.

Babcock should have won it several times now. Bowman should have won virtually every year. It almost always goes to a coach who gets his team to the playoffs with a bunch of injuries or a coach who has a young team that plays better than expected. By those criteria Babcock deserves it. No team has lost better players for as long, and the Wings lead the league in cap hit lost to injury by a long way last I checked. A good chunk of the Pens man games list are their backup goalie.

I think Bylsma should get consideration, though I wouldn't say they've had more injuries to important players. It's fairly even, with the Wings being worse at forward and the Pens worse on defense. I think it comes down to what value you want to assume for Weiss and Vokoun.

I agree with most of what you're saying, but if you look back at my post you'll see I said Pittsburgh had more injuries to "equally important players". I'm not trying to say they've had a tougher row to hoe, but they've had as much adversity as we have. Furthermore, I don't have any idea what value those two have, but you bring up a good point.

If the wings reported their injuries the way the Pens do those numbers would be very similar.

Unless we put someone on IR we report them as healthy scratches so they don't count towards our man games lost.

Either way I don't think either coach has much of a chance at the award, its either Roy's or Coopers

At least he got nominated but this is Roy's trophy to lost

Pretty sure there is no such thing as nominations for this award or any other NHL award. Finalists are announced for the purposes of leading up to the awards ceremony, but those finalists are simply those 3 that rec'd the most votes.

With that in mind, voting hasn't happened yet, so no guarantee that Babcock will be in that top 3.

Guest Playmaker

I think fans get too into the awards and take it too personally if "their" coach or player doesn't win. I think the Rocket Richard trophy is the only one based on stats. The others are just opinions. There are a lot of deserving candidates for every award, and not enough awards to go around. Babcock, Bylsma, Roy, Cooper, Hitchcock. All could and would be deserving of the award, plus many more. Not winning it isn't a slight or bias and doesn't mean that the league hates them or there is some underlying conspiracy if they don't win.

To me it's not just injuries, but the success of the guys who replaced them. Every game on NBC this year (and CBC too I think) has been about how good a job of coaching Babcock has done this year. He's had to actually coach more this year etc. The difference between Penguins injuries and ours comes down to the fact they still had their top line of Crosby and Malkin for most of the year. (Crosby has missed 1 game) As well they have 7 players with 71+ GP vs. our 4 (Quincey, Miller, Kronwall and Lashoff) We have lost to injury a lot of our leadership, we've practically gone through a rebuild while the season was still going and yet we found a way to (almost) make the playoffs. We have players exceeding their potential, all the young guys are chipping in and we are better now than when we started. This is a testament to a good coach, getting the most out of his players. As a fan base here, we didn't think we would make the playoffs because of all these injuries, and yet Babcock kept this team believing, pushing his players to be better, to learn and compete with the best of teams. Pittsburgh didn't suffer that kind of loss, yes they lost Letang and Vokoun for practically the entire season, but they still had Fleury (and defence doesn't matter to them anyway). That's why I think Babcock deserves recognition as the best coach this year. Roy and Cooper did great jobs with their teams too, but I think Babcock had more responsibility for his team's successes and failures than the others.

Guest Playmaker

Babcock was instrumental in getting Cleary back here for this season. That will always lose him points. I also don't think Babcock made any conscious decision to play the young players. He did it out of necessity. I'm a Babcock fan, don't get me wrong, but he was more or less forced to changed his mindset of playing the veterans. Had the "kids" been anything but fantastic as they have been, we'd still be seeing the likes of Bertuzzi and Cleary. He's fortunate that he had a plethora of "over ripe" kids to turn to.

I don't know why Babcock deserves it, if it wasn't for the injuries I doubt we'd be in the playoffs. We'd have underachieving Cleary, Weiss, Sammy and Bert running the second and 3rd lines. Nyqvist, Tatar, Sheahan, Jurco would be buried deep in the abyss somewhere, and these guys have been the spark to get us to the playoffs.

I think Holland and Babs were idiots for dumping Nyqvist and Tatar after everything they put up last year.

So no, the award shouldn't be based on luck.

I think Roy is 100% deserving of this, he did an incredible bang up job this year.

I don't know why Babcock deserves it, if it wasn't for the injuries I doubt we'd be in the playoffs. We'd have underachieving Cleary, Weiss, Sammy and Bert running the second and 3rd lines. Nyqvist, Tatar, Sheahan, Jurco would be buried deep in the abyss somewhere, and these guys have been the spark to get us to the playoffs.

I think Holland and Babs were idiots for dumping Nyqvist and Tatar after everything they put up last year.

I think Roy is 100% deserving of this, he did an incredible bang up job this year.

What has Roy done Babcock has not? They both coached teams. One loaded with talent, the other less-talented and experienced. This isn't about choosing who is on the roster, but coaching those players to success. Not to take away from Roy, but he didn't quite have the challenge Babs did.

It would also be a disservice to Babs to not win the Jack Adams in a year he surpassed the man the award was named for in wins.

Edited by rrasco

1 - Roy

2 - Bylsma

3 - Babcock

That's how I think it will play out this year. Not how I think it SHOULD be, just how I think it WILL be...

Pittsburg has lost about 100 more man-games to injury than Detroit, and they handily won their division. That will put Bylsma above Babcock.

And Roy is coaching a team that finished dead-last in the West last year (2nd worst in the league) to potentially wining their division against St. Louis and Chicago. That fact alone will likely lock him in as the winner.

Tatar was up in the nhl from the start, they couldn't waive him or they'd lose him. Yes he sat the first few games cause they knew what they had with him and wanted to see what other players brought to the table this year. I agree about nyquist, but the rest had not earned a spot yet, sheahan only played two games before and was disappointing in both, to be fair.