• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Dabura

Have the Wild Hit Their Ceiling?

Rate this topic

It recently occurred to me that the Wild, for all their big acquisitions, are basically where we are, at least far as the standings are concerned. Which is kinda crazy. I thought about maybe doing some research and number crunching and such, but I realized I didn't care enough. Thankfully, Adam Gretz exists:

The Minnesota Wild, the playoff bubble, and the importance of homegrown talent [Adam Gretz, SBNation]

chart_1__8_.jpg

Thoughts?

Did the Wild "do it the wrong way"? Are they doomed? Are we going to have the last laugh? Etc.

Edited by Dabura

If the Wings would still be playing in the West they'd be out of the playoffs picture. The Wild are fare away from hitting their celling Suter, Parise are in their prime Brodin, Granlund are two very promising young players and they are certainly going to add another big UFA this year...the Wild could become a scary team in a few years.

If the Wings would still be playing in the West they'd be out of the playoffs picture. The Wild are fare away from hitting their celling Suter, Parise are in their prime Brodin, Granlund are two very promising young players and they are certainly going to add another big UFA this year...the Wild could become a scary team in a few years.

That's hard to say. There are also less teams in the West, which increases the odds of making it. You'd have to think the Wings would be able to hang with the likes of the Stars and Yotes for a wild card spot.

Or the NYRs of the West.

if the Wings were still in the west, they'd be in 8th place, the second wild card position. Hmmmm, not quite out of the playoff picture if you ask me. Wild have topped out, Suter regrets his decision. Starting next season, Wings will finish far ahead of them. Poor Suter, I hope your in-laws were worth it.

if the Wings were still in the west, they'd be in 8th place, the second wild card position. Hmmmm, not quite out of the playoff picture if you ask me. Wild have topped out, Suter regrets his decision. Starting next season, Wings will finish far ahead of them. Poor Suter, I hope your in-laws were worth it.

1. You can't transfer the Wings record to the West and put them ahead of Dallas. They played mostly Eastern Conference teams this season. The idea that they'd have the same record playing Chicago 4 times vs Buffalo is illogical.

2. They'd still be in ninth because Columbus would be in 8th, with Dallas in 10th. Know what I mean?

3. Who know what Suter is thinking? I sure don't. Did he say he regretted signing in Minny?

Basically, the potential problem I'm seeing is that they've pushed all their chips into the middle for a veteran core. A forward's prime years are 25ish-30ish. Parise is 29. Koivu is 31. Pominville is 31. Moulson is 30. Vanek - since everyone's so sure he's headed to Minnesota - is 30. They have good young talent, but with all of their leaders having already played their best hockey, I'm kinda scratching my head here. To me, this looks like about a five-year window of opportunity, Cup-wise, and that's assuming they make some incredible progress in the ultra-tough West. Something in me says that's not at all what they were going for when they signed Suter and Parise and traded for Pominville and everyone said, "Oh s***, these guys are building the next Wings. They'll be competitive forever." (OK, maybe no one said that. But you get my point.)

You can say that we wouldn't make the playoffs in the Western Conference. (Personally, I think we would.) But how does that validate the Wild? We're in a transitional stage; just making the playoffs is a pretty big deal. The Wild? They want the Cup. Relative to their expectations, a first-round exit = abject failure.

I just find it weird. Like...this is it? This is the Minnesota Machine that everyone's been raving about? This is the team that's going to be a contender for years and years and years to come?

1. You can't transfer the Wings record to the West and put them ahead of Dallas. They played mostly Eastern Conference teams this season. The idea that they'd have the same record playing Chicago 4 times vs Buffalo is illogical.

2. They'd still be in ninth because Columbus would be in 8th, with Dallas in 10th. Know what I mean?

3. Who know what Suter is thinking? I sure don't. Did he say he regretted signing in Minny?

The wings are easily better then the west's bubble teams Dallas and Phoenix and probably better then the wild. We have terrible records against non playoff eastern teams and if we weren't a dumpster fire at the shootout we get at least another 7 points. Not to mention the injuries

Living in Minnesota it's about all I can talk about with friends with very little talk about the Red Wings. I thought it was really funny after there clinching win Wild fans were damn near partying. I got slammed for saying I suppose you have to party when you will get another 1st round exit this year again. Some agreed, some disagreed. All year long fans have been calling for Mike Yeo to be fired. And I watch a lot of there games and I agree they won't go anywhere with him coaching. They still need someone who can score goals. 1st round exit for years to come!

Basically, the potential problem I'm seeing is that they've pushed all their chips into the middle for a veteran core. A forward's prime years are 25ish-30ish. Parise is 29. Koivu is 31. Pominville is 31. Moulson is 30. Vanek - since everyone's so sure he's headed to Minnesota - is 30. They have good young talent, but with all of their leaders having already played their best hockey, I'm kinda scratching my head here. To me, this looks like about a five-year window of opportunity, Cup-wise, and that's assuming they make some incredible progress in the ultra-tough West. Something in me says that's not at all what they were going for when they signed Suter and Parise and traded for Pominville and everyone said, "Oh s***, these guys are building the next Wings. They'll be competitive forever." (OK, maybe no one said that. But you get my point.)

You can say that we wouldn't make the playoffs in the Western Conference. (Personally, I think we would.) But how does that validate the Wild? We're in a transitional stage; just making the playoffs is a pretty big deal. The Wild? They want the Cup. Relative to their expectations, a first-round exit = abject failure.

I just find it weird. Like...this is it? This is the Minnesota Machine that everyone's been raving about? This is the team that's going to be a contender for years and years and years to come?

The Wings are in the same boat, their forward core are all well past 30 and to say the Wings are in a transitional stage seems to fly in the face of facts. Going after Weiss and Legwand at the expense of youth is evidence Holland is in a win-now mode.

Edited by Shaman