• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#81 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,970 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 11:12 PM

Dreger: Haven't scoured twitter...maybe this is out there. Washington, Florida and Carolina have all contacted Barry Trotz.

He would be a good fit in washington. Teach that spoiled brat Ovie a thing or two about defence

Be worried OV be very worried Trotz won't accept selfish crap

I think if someone can teach the caps how to play defense its gotta be him

But man that roster needs some huge changes

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#82 FireCaptain

FireCaptain

This space for rent.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,909 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 11:28 PM

The Capitals contacted Trotz, who is arguably the most coveted coach currently on the market, not long after they dismissed Adam Oates and George McPhee in late April, and there is mutual interest.

“They were one of the first teams to reach out and asked what my plans were. I told them I would like to coach and they said they would love to talk to me. But obviously, they’re in the search for their general manager right now,” Trotz said in a phone interview. “From my standpoint of wanting another opportunity, a lot of things excite me about the Capitals and the other teams that are out there. A new challenge, to me, is really exciting.”

Seems like Trotz is pretty interested in Washington. 

https://sports.yahoo...-203215955.html

Most nights, my posts are brought to you by Heineken and sarcasm.
Success has a thousand fathers, failure is an orphan.
We not score, is hard to win. - Pavel Datsyuk #13

#83 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,624 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 05:27 PM

Trotz announced as head coach at Washington.

Edited by DeGraa55, 26 May 2014 - 05:27 PM.

#84 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,970 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 06:14 PM

Happy for him great coach

but man that GM hiring, how can you hire such a green guy when top guys like Shero, Fenton are available?

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#85 vladdy16

vladdy16

The rest are neophytes.

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 6,184 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 06:49 PM

Source.

Can't wait to read the "Phoenix: I still think it's a hockey market" chapter of Gary Bettman's autobiography. I'm guessing it's going to be chapter 11.

- mjlegend 3/9/2011

#86 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,282 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 08:12 PM

I am curious what Trotz would look like a wearing on of Don Cherry's dress shirts... Congrats to Trotz, maybe we can see if Ovie can play two way hockey

Edited by Rivalred, 26 May 2014 - 09:01 PM.

D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#87 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,644 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 08:42 PM

So a defensive minded coach on a team built on offense? 

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#88 P. Marlowe

P. Marlowe

4th Line Heel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 02:18 AM

What happened to Trotz wanting to continue living in Nashville? I think he said something like that when he was fired.

"Finger-pointing is easy. In some cases, even therapeutic. Fans need to blame something,

because the outcome is so frustratingly out of their control."
-- Mitch Albom

| Terry Sawchuk & Johnny Bower | | Extra Protection | | "Luckies never cut my wind." | | Straight to the Goal | | Dodging Traffic | | Mike Grier? |

#89 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,585 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 02:56 AM

Best thing that ever happened to the caps. Now maybe Ovi and Green can learn to play "NHL" hockey

#90 Seraph

Seraph

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 06:06 AM

Either this will be good for the Caps, or a disaster. Getting these guys to play to their weakness (defense) will be interesting to watch.

Formerly known as The Nephilim.

QUOTE (Amberoonie)
Babs sure hurries himself into the presser, sits down, and f*cks up a bottle of water like no one in the room has had any for days.

#91 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,089 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 06:44 AM

So a defensive minded coach on a team built on offense? 

I've never really bought that he's a "defensive coach." When he was given some actual firepower to work with, the Preds "magically" became a high-scoring team. But, for the most part, it's been a bunch of bottom sixers, elite goaltending, and two or three all-star defensemen. All he did was play to the roster's strengths. That was the only way they were going to be competitive. So, really, it's pretty remarkable that they've even had the success they've had. I love Patric Hornqvist, but if he's your second most dangerous goal-scorer, and your #1 gun is a defenseman...there's a problem, and it's probably not the coaching.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#92 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,797 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 10:35 AM

I'm calling for a disaster.  The team isn't built for Trotz' style of game and I don't think Leonsis will stomach huge roster turnover and/or significantly less scoring.  This will be a real test for Barry.  He's going to need to coach a (more) offensive game to get wins initially.  We'll see how he fair. 

Oh...and Ovechkin will eat him alive.  Alex is an institution in D.C. and nobody, but nobody, will make him do something he doesn't want to do. 

I expect the honeymoon to be short, a lot of internal problems (e.g. Hunter and Ovie) and eventually Trotz will be let go because Ovie sells merchandise and tickets.  That's my prediction. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#93 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 04:53 PM

@THNRoryBoylen: Why I'm not convinced the Trotz/MacLellan duo is the right fit for Washington. Here's why: http://t.co/EjBkSczE9c

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

#94 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,587 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 07:04 PM

I'm calling for a disaster.  The team isn't built for Trotz' style of game and I don't think Leonsis will stomach huge roster turnover and/or significantly less scoring.  This will be a real test for Barry.  He's going to need to coach a (more) offensive game to get wins initially.  We'll see how he fair. 

Oh...and Ovechkin will eat him alive.  Alex is an institution in D.C. and nobody, but nobody, will make him do something he doesn't want to do. 

I expect the honeymoon to be short, a lot of internal problems (e.g. Hunter and Ovie) and eventually Trotz will be let go because Ovie sells merchandise and tickets.  That's my prediction. 

Not wanting to sound like an old crotchedy type, and complain about the neighborhood kids playing on my lawn...

Players today tend to be spoiled a-holes...I applaud the 'old school' types of coaches out there today, but as you rightfully pointed out - d-bags like 'Ovie' can do no wrong, and as hard as he may try Trotz may very well be shown the door sooner than later.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#95 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,613 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 07:08 PM

Methinks the "Coach Killer" has met his match.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#96 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,587 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 07:12 PM

Methinks the "Coach Killer" has met his match.

If Ovie, and his teammates ever got their heads outta their asses for a brief moment - they might realize that a guy like Trotz may lead them back into respectability.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#97 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,262 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 07:12 PM

Then the Caps can just keep on losing and missing the playoffs.  

Trotz is a good coach and could turn this team around.

Edited by Hockeymom1960, 27 May 2014 - 07:13 PM.