• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

ash11

Pens or Bruins

Rate this topic

You know what? I kinda want the Bruins.

We're finally finding our post-Lidstrom identity. We like being an underdog with clout. We get up for games where we can make a statement, topple a team we probably have no right toppling.

I think the seeds (pun?) were sort of sown last season when we realized we could beat anyone in a best-of-seven without being *Elite*. The Ducks were supposed to crush us. The Blackhawks were supposed to sweep us with ease. We weren't supposed to make the playoffs in the first place. Our time was supposed to be over.

It's the Zetterberg way, no? Making Crosby and Malkin cry. Making Getzlaf and Perry cry. Making Toews cry. Making Don Cherry cry. Making Gary Bettman cry. Making the best and brightest and clearly-better-than-us look silly. Owning the hockey experts. All of this, and, secretly, loving it. That, I think, is the Zetterberg way, and I think this season has been about becoming the Zetterberg Wings. Cleary, Bertuzzi, Samuelsson - they were standing in the way, holding us back. Holland hating kids, Babs hating kids - no good, had to change. The Hockey Gods saw that we had the potential to be pretty awesome but in order for it to happen, this season had to be a crucible.

That's the perfect word for it. Crucible.

Our crucible has made us way, way better. It's given us an identity. It's made the future blindingly bright. It has that we-might-have-something-really-special-here buzzy feeling about it.

If we beat the Boston Bruins? Well, at the very least, I think Mike Babcock gets his Jack Adams.

Meh. Good luck guys. My expectations are almost nil. We'll play...somebody, lose composure, and Bylsma will stand there with this blank look on his face and just parrot the same old "We didn't get to our game" s***.

Please beat the Bruins if you play them. Thanks.

Edited by Free_Candy

I prefer the Pens because (assuming we get past them) we would stay in that division for Round 2. I think Rangers or Flyers would be easier to beat in Round 2 than Tampa Bay, assuming the Lightning get past Montreal. TB has had our number this season and Bishop has been especially tough on us (altho he may not be healthy). On the other hand, I don't love our chances in a Round 2 matchup with CBJ if they end up seeded in the Metro Division and win Round 1.

I prefer the Pens because (assuming we get past them) we would stay in that division for Round 2. I think Rangers or Flyers would be easier to beat in Round 2 than Tampa Bay, assuming the Lightning get past Montreal. TB has had our number this season and Bishop has been especially tough on us (altho he may not be healthy). On the other hand, I don't love our chances in a Round 2 matchup with CBJ if they end up seeded in the Metro Division and win Round 1.

Galchenyuk is out for the year, that is a big loss for Montreal in terms of depth.

Winning the best of seven series against either of Pens or Bruins seems more challenging than the last year when faced the Ducks. Considering how they played in recent playoffs, playing against the Pens would slightly raise our chance to pass the first round than confronting the Bruins. We have seen that the record in the regular season does not tell the whole story. Yeah, we have played against the Bruins well but we all know how strong they can be during the playoffs. I just do not see our rookies and depth at the both ends take their physical plays armed with size and speed.

I do not want to act pessimistic but our chance is not big for sure. Still, I want the Wings to prove me wrong. But we should not forget Howard was magnificent last year while both Gus and Howie look shaky this season. To be honest, I am quite satisfied that our kids have put this team into the playoff despite of continuous injuries. The playoff will be another task but lets hope they can give a great shot.

Both are obviously challenging - well the two best teams in the East - but I'd rather play the Pens then the big bad bear/beast from the East. The Bruins are built for the playoffs they always get another gear and turn it to another level.

Whatever happens this team should soak in the experience and be happy with what they've accomplished so far, just enjoy the ride and if its a sweep so be it. There is absolutely no pressure now just learn from the experience.

I keep forgetting we can't get the Rangers. This system is a bit stupid.

How could Detroit get the Rangers? The only possible way would have been if they were 4-5, and that's impossible because Columbus, Tampa, and Philly would all have to lose out, and that can't happen since Columbus plays Tampa.

At this point I don't care. I think we match up best with the Pens but we have played the B's pretty good. I think where this team is at right now. I think the 3rd and 4th lines are playing really well and usually that's what it takes to win in the playoffs. My only concern is being so young we take stupid penalties. When it's all said and done we have just as much as a chance as these other teams.

I'm not worried about Boston's size or physically. It's conventional to worry about that, but this team is rarely defeated due to being outhit or outmuscled. I do worry about Ask. The Wings are easy to shut down because they're not overly creative with their shots. Their offense is very predictable.

Fleury could be amazing, or he could suck. We could rattle him and have a history against him. At least we have a 50/50 chance there. But playing the Pens is always painful because of the Crosby love, and the fact that if anything lucky or miraculous happens it's usually on their side. Nothing I can prove, things just often work out for them. Then again, they haven't been good in the playoffs since 2009. Whereas we always give our opponents a run for their money.

I'm just worried about our very straightforward style of offense. Lob a shot into the offensive zone, reset, do it again, take a bad angle shot from the boards with a soft and slow shot, repeat.

If we set up, pass to the point, cycle, weak shot wide of the net, pass back to the point, maybe throw in a weak shot from the boards, repeat.

When I with other teams I'm always surprised with how much faster and harder those players shoot than the Wings.

I would love to play the Pens and sweep them in the first round. But statistically we fare better against Boston. 3-1 in in the regular season vs 1-2 vs Pens and the win came in OT Thrilla in Manilla.

Play Boston in the first, beat them, Zetterberg gets healthy and comes back after the 1st, rematch the Pens in the 2nd or 3rd round.

Either way to get out of the East we have to play both of them, so it's a moot point.

We can't play the pens till the third round if we play Boston first.

And vice versa