62 replies to this topic

#21 wingsfan4795

wingsfan4795

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 12:00 AM

Detroit vs boston, Pittsburgh vs Philly
Boston and Pittsburgh both out first round!

Good rule of thumb is always take an octopus everywhere. Better to have one and not need it than find yourself thinking, "Damn, I wish I had that octopus".

-Buppy

#22 Vladiator

Vladiator

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,090 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 12:13 AM

Hoping for the Pens but we all know that picking your poison isn't the way to go. It would be awesome if  Z can go sometime in the 1st round. Just stoked that the Wings have made the playoffs.

Can anyone revive the 09' Wings/Pens playoff Photoshop thread? 

#23 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,936 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 12:32 AM

I don't know why everyone thinks Rask is godlike. I've seen him let in a lot of floaters

#24 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,052 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 12:33 AM

Pens.

But the fact of the matter is, that whichever one we get, even if we beat them, we're playing t'other in the next round.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#25 wingsfan4795

wingsfan4795

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 12:56 AM

Pens.

But the fact of the matter is, that whichever one we get, even if we beat them, we're playing t'other in the next round.

No. Not till the conference finals

Good rule of thumb is always take an octopus everywhere. Better to have one and not need it than find yourself thinking, "Damn, I wish I had that octopus".

-Buppy

#26 cnot19

cnot19

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 03:54 AM

Penguins lack depth but also have less balls than the bruins the bruins have alot more going for them at every level I honestly don't think the wings have them beat at any level on paper! I do think they have some advantages against the penguins

Edited by cnot19, 10 April 2014 - 03:56 AM.

Get me a real fourth line Kenny!

#27 Andy Pred 48

Andy Pred 48

Coming soon,"the slovak line" Marek and 2 Toms!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,865 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 05:40 AM

just happy to be in it really. We seem to have the Bruins # so they may be a little worried about getting us.

for once in a long time we can just go out and play as the pressure will be on either the Bruins or the Pens

as we are the underdogs. Im just excited for next season. The kids have a whole year under their belts and 

with the addition of 2 or 3 of the right pieces we can be back in the top 5 again and a real force.

Well done Babs and the boys, you've got in and all of us on these boards are proud of you as we had 

feared the run was over and to do it in the circumstances is a big bonus. Babs for the JA?

"What are you guys doing?" Reggie Dunlop
"Putting on the foil coach" Jeff Hanson
"Yeah, every game, you want some coach?" Steve Hanson
"Er, no. No thanks guys." Reggie Dunlop
"Make sure they don't leave the bench!" Reggie Dunlop.

#28 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,618 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 06:07 AM

Boston...we went 3-1 against them and in fine fashion. I couldn't handle anymore of the NHL coddling the pens.

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#29 Wings10

Wings10

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 08:49 AM

Boston...Original 6 teams matching up for the first time in forever..would be a beautiful thing to watch.

#30 jaycen

jaycen

Draftee

• 7 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 09:12 AM

Initially I said the Pens, after all who wouldn't rather take their chances in a 7-game series with Fleury vs. Rask.  However, considering the Pens probably having everyone back (sans Dupuis), I may want to take chances with Boston.  We have a solid record against them this year and I believe our speed would give them trouble.

#31 Smite

Smite

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 09:55 AM

We are a combined 6-5-2 vs Boston, Montreal and Tampa. We are 2-5-2 Vs Pittsburgh NY Rangers and Philly. 

Although I like our chances vs Pittsburgh, the long run Boston maybe be better.

But then our team is completely different then our opening day roster..... so this is all meaning less numbers.... Maybe if I put it in a pie chart? :P

"When the cast comes off, I ask my doctor, 'Have I recovered so I can play the violin?' The doctor says, 'But of course you can play the violin.' I say, 'Wow, this is great. Before this injury, I could never play violin at all. I must break the other hand so I can play guitar.'" –Pavel Datsuk on breaking his hand

#32 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,618 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 10:03 AM

Well right now we got Boston.  All we need to do is to give Dats more of a break, give the likes of Helm, Legwand (Thank Goodness we picked him up!) Alfie, Kronner, Franzee (maybe he can find his lighter) the final two games off.  We need to coast these last two games, remain in 8th and take Boston to 7 games.  Pit would be an NHL and officiating circus and I would like to avoid that as long as possible.  Hell, maybe the #7 seed (hopefully Philly falls there, that would be a great series!) can beat the crap out of them and Skidney (I love that nick name!) can cry all summer long!

Here are my 1st round hopes!

Boston v. Detroit

Pitt v. Philly

Montreal v. Tampa (all ready set)

Rags v. Columbus

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#33 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 10:21 AM

As fantastic as it would be to beat the Pens in the first round, beating the Bruins (especially if they win the PT) would be almost as good. On the other hand losing to the Pens would be much worse for me. I think our chances in either series are about the same. Add the O6 factor, it makes Boston an easy choice for me. 

Edited by Buppy, 10 April 2014 - 10:21 AM.

#34 Prashanth Iyer

Prashanth Iyer

Draftee

• 5 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 10:33 AM

I believe the Penguins would be the better option for us. Check out my thoughts here 

http://thehockeywrit...r-the-7th-seed/

#35 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,629 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 10:54 AM

as much as I'd love to knock the pens out first round.... I'd really like to see pitt vs. philly again.

I dislike both teams but watching them meet in the post season is some of the most exciting playoff hockey imo

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#36 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,841 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 11:12 AM

as much as I'd love to knock the pens out first round.... I'd really like to see pitt vs. philly again.
I dislike both teams but watching them meet in the post season is some of the most exciting playoff hockey imo

Oh it'll be exciting... If by exciting you mean hurling your guts out during intermission from all the stress.

"He usually shows up when the game is over and tries to be the hero. Puts his cape on and goes and flies out there." ~ Franzen 

#37 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,179 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 11:14 AM

We are a combined 6-5-2 vs Boston, Montreal and Tampa. We are 2-5-2 Vs Pittsburgh NY Rangers and Philly. 

But then our team is completely different then our opening day roster..... so this is all meaning less numbers.... Maybe if I put it in a pie chart? :P

Did you say pie? Yummy

I believe the Penguins would be the better option for us. Check out my thoughts here 

http://thehockeywrit...r-the-7th-seed/

You have like 5 posts, and in every one all you're doing is promoting a different site. You can post your thoughts here, if all you're here to do is promote a different site then you shouldn't be here. Posting stuff like that occasionally is ok, but that's only if you actively contribute to discussions regularly

#38 TheDetroitRedWings

TheDetroitRedWings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 11:17 AM

We've played both teams well this season. But there's no doubt that Boston is a deeper team than Pitt (especially on the defensive end). And they have better goaltending. So if I had to choose I'd go with the Penguins. But I truly believe we could beat either team if we're healthy and playing the way we've played lately.

12041887825_d4b1d5c02f_o.jpg

#39 BadgerBob

BadgerBob

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 11:28 AM

I think we could beat either ;-) probably come out of the penguin series healthier though with as physical the b's play...

I wouldn't exactly say that with the way Neal plays.

#40 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 11:36 AM

Boston...we went 3-1 against them and in fine fashion. I couldn't handle anymore of the NHL coddling the pens.

Well right now we got Boston.  All we need to do is to give Dats more of a break, give the likes of Helm, Legwand (Thank Goodness we picked him up!) Alfie, Kronner, Franzee (maybe he can find his lighter) the final two games off.  We need to coast these last two games, remain in 8th and take Boston to 7 games.  Pit would be an NHL and officiating circus and I would like to avoid that as long as possible.  Hell, maybe the #7 seed (hopefully Philly falls there, that would be a great series!) can beat the crap out of them and Skidney (I love that nick name!) can cry all summer long!

Here are my 1st round hopes!

Boston v. Detroit

Pitt v. Philly

Montreal v. Tampa (all ready set)

Rags v. Columbus

Okay people keep forgetting that Boston doesn't play the same in the post season as they do in the regular season. In the regular season they play a more open fast pace hockey, as soon as the post season starts they become team obstruction. The Wings don't match up well against a big team that will force them to go through their team to get into the offensive zone. That and unlike Flower, Rask is completely capable of carrying the Bruins any night they decide not to show up.

Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt