• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#61 loutswings

loutswings

Rookie

• Pip
  • 149 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 04:11 PM

At this point I don't care. I think we match up best with the Pens but we have played the B's pretty good. I think where this team is at right now. I think the 3rd and 4th lines are playing really well and usually that's what it takes to win in the playoffs. My only concern is being so young we take stupid penalties. When it's all said and done we have just as much as a chance as these other teams. 

#62 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,516 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 10:36 AM

I'm not worried about Boston's size or physically. It's conventional to worry about that, but this team is rarely defeated due to being outhit or outmuscled. I do worry about Ask. The Wings are easy to shut down because they're not overly creative with their shots. Their offense is very predictable. Fleury could be amazing, or he could suck. We could rattle him and have a history against him. At least we have a 50/50 chance there. But playing the Pens is always painful because of the Crosby love, and the fact that if anything lucky or miraculous happens it's usually on their side. Nothing I can prove, things just often work out for them. Then again, they haven't been good in the playoffs since 2009. Whereas we always give our opponents a run for their money. I'm just worried about our very straightforward style of offense. Lob a shot into the offensive zone, reset, do it again, take a bad angle shot from the boards with a soft and slow shot, repeat. If we set up, pass to the point, cycle, weak shot wide of the net, pass back to the point, maybe throw in a weak shot from the boards, repeat. When I with other teams I'm always surprised with how much faster and harder those players shoot than the Wings.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#63 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,098 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 10:49 AM

I would love to play the Pens and sweep them in the first round.  But statistically we fare better against Boston.  3-1 in in the regular season vs 1-2 vs Pens and the win came in OT Thrilla in Manilla.

Play Boston in the first, beat them, Zetterberg gets healthy and comes back after the 1st, rematch the Pens in the 2nd or 3rd round.

Either way to get out of the East we have to play both of them, so it's a moot point. 

We can't play the pens till the third round if we play Boston first.
And vice versa