• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#21 roboturner

roboturner

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 09:12 PM

Hi I'm Brendan Shanahan of the Toronto Maple Leafs. In the spring of every year, an incident occurs where the Maple Leafs blow their playoff spot with a magnificent collapse.

As the video shows in slow motion, the leafs continue to hand out lengthy contracts to players who to will certainly become a disappointment, and who will disappear when needed most.

Taking into account that the Leafs have a previous history, I have suspended the Leafs from the National Hockey League for 10 seasons.

This might be getting a little heated. Just know I don't hate any of you guys.

That doesn't mean that I respect ideas & opinions. Some ideas & opinions are ridiculous.

In fact, if you confront my ideas & opinions, that will lead to a discussion. (We're on a discussion board after all. Don't forget that!)

:bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1:

#22 TheDetroitRedWings

TheDetroitRedWings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 09:58 PM

Great... Now another one of my boy-hood idols is running a team in direct competition with the Wings (within the same division). Happy for Shanny and all, but for me this blows.

12041887825_d4b1d5c02f_o.jpg

#23 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,974 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 10:16 PM

Nothing more than a move to get a big hockey name to fill the position to ease fan backlash. 

My only concern is him poaching staff from the Wings.

IF he had maybe ended his career in Detroit & actually worked in the front office, there might be cause for concern.  I think the chances of him actually poaching anyone from the Wings is pretty slim.

#24 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 10:38 PM

Good for him, maybe he can actually shanaban everyone out of there who has F-ed up the organization. 

#25 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,086 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 10:59 PM

Red Wings Name Wendel Clark New Club President

Don't Toews me, bro!

#26 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,776 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 11:07 PM

Why the Leafs, Shanny? That just feels wrong.

Can't blame the guy for wanting to go home to Toronto.

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#27 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,612 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 06:53 AM

He'll be able to get to work by taking GO transit. That's good for the environment.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#28 motorcitykid

motorcitykid

Red Wings DJ

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 07:32 AM

I understand that Shanahan wants to try management just like Yzerman, but boy oh boy he picked THE worst run franchise in almost all of sports. I cannot fanthom what he was thinking but it's not like he will be there in 10 years anyway. I can almost hear the dumbass Leaf fans telling anyone who will listen this morning, "WE ARE GOING TO WIN THE CUP NEXT YEAR"!! I loved Shanny when he wasn't a Red Wing, and even more when he came here. But this reeks of a Maple Leaf publicity stunt [they are already done talking about the miserable failure their season turned into ... Shanny talk is dominating]. And I know of no man alive who could run that goofball organization with their fanbase knowing nothing about the game - yet the first to tell you how a 1 player trade will net them a Cup, their horrendous scouting overseas and here, their buddy buddy attitude of giving friends jobs, and the interference from owners. Good luck Shanny. This stunt will last maybe 2 or 3 seasons then he will be blamed for being a Cup champ who can't win them a Cup. Goooooood luck, my friend.

#29 Din758

Din758

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 07:52 AM

Why does everything think that he can just poach all these guys in the wings organization (blashill, executives). Does he have a significant relationship with any of them? He never worked for the wings organization outside of being a player right?

Crosby is a crybaby *****

#30 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 08:35 AM

Its kind of low risk, high reward for Shanahan.  Being President isn't the same as GM.  If the Leafs turn it around, he can take all the credit and turn it into a GM job.  If they don't, he slides back into a cushy league job, kind of like Pat Lafontaine did.  I'm just surprised because it was rumored he went to the Rangers and took the league job because his wife insisted on being on the East Coast.  She should have stayed with Craig Janney  ;)

#31 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,974 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 09:10 AM

I understand that Shanahan wants to try management just like Yzerman, but boy oh boy he picked THE worst run franchise in almost all of sports. I cannot fanthom what he was thinking but it's not like he will be there in 10 years anyway. I can almost hear the dumbass Leaf fans telling anyone who will listen this morning, "WE ARE GOING TO WIN THE CUP NEXT YEAR"!! I loved Shanny when he wasn't a Red Wing, and even more when he came here. But this reeks of a Maple Leaf publicity stunt [they are already done talking about the miserable failure their season turned into ... Shanny talk is dominating]. And I know of no man alive who could run that goofball organization with their fanbase knowing nothing about the game - yet the first to tell you how a 1 player trade will net them a Cup, their horrendous scouting overseas and here, their buddy buddy attitude of giving friends jobs, and the interference from owners. Good luck Shanny. This stunt will last maybe 2 or 3 seasons then he will be blamed for being a Cup champ who can't win them a Cup. Goooooood luck, my friend.

As a Cleveland Browns fan, I think I can safely say that the Leafs are far from the worst run franchise in all of sports.  

#32 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,476 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 09:15 AM

Nothing more than a move to get a big hockey name to fill the position to ease fan backlash. 

That has ZERO to do with this in my opinion, for a couple of reasons:

1. They have been looking for a while now for someone to take on this role.  They offered the job to Gretzky last year and were close to bringing him aboard from what I hear.

2. More importantly, the Leafs don't have to worry about fan backlash.  Season tickets will be renewed, TV deals are a given, there are no concerns from that respect. 

Your comment would probably ring true in pretty much every other market in the league, but not Toronto.  In Vancouver for example, Linden was brought in to do just that....they were worried about selling tickets.

#33 Datsyukian-Deke

Datsyukian-Deke

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 10:05 AM

First Yzerman, now Shanny. Im guessing next will be Federov as assistant GM of Boston...

Edited by Datsyukian-Deke, 11 April 2014 - 10:08 AM.

#34 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,974 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 10:26 AM

First Yzerman, now Shanny. Im guessing next will be Federov as assistant GM of Boston...

Or maybe Fedorov as the GM of CSKA Moscow

#35 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,937 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 10:32 AM

Interesting. A team with no idea of where it is going and what it is doing, hires someone with no experience. Good luck.

Oh c'mon. Doesn't this scream president material to you?!!

Edited by T.Low, 11 April 2014 - 10:34 AM.

#36 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,916 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 10:33 AM

So now they have:

Leiweke (wrong person the guy just doesn't understand how different the LA and Toronto market are) > Shanahan > Nonis > Loiselle > Poulin ? Talk about a lot of decisionmakers *lol*

Has Shanahan ever worked before in such a high profile job ? Being VP of hockey operations seems like a very difficult task, if you don't have any managerial and business of hockey experience.

Edited by frankgrimes, 11 April 2014 - 10:34 AM.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#37 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,612 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 11:40 AM

ShanahanKnights.jpg

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#38 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,086 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 12:45 PM

Red Wings Name Wendel Clark New Club President

I forgot - Clark actually played for the Wings, lol.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#39 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,937 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 12:54 PM

Look for Nonis to end up in Calgary.

#40 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 01:01 PM

stanley cups in shanahan's lifetime

shanny: 3

toronto: 0

guess they just wanted someone with post season experience in their system :P

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."