• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Andy Pred 48

Next Seasons Needs/Team Future

Rate this topic

We have Danny and E. That's two good defensive Dmen. Kronwall pretty reliable as well. Why we would we add a big defensive Dmen when the only Dmen who can move the puck is Kronwall? I'm adding an OFD all day and a DFD if I'm feeling crazy

the biggest need could well be some R/H players. Sammy is going to be gone, Glendening could be back at GR and if Alfie calls it a day

we have no Righty's on the entire roster.

Marchenko, Sproul are righty Dmen

Pulkkinen is a righty too coming up soon

Jarnkrok WAS a righty C which we lack desperately.

Ferraro and Callahan - both righties- are out of options next season and may get some playing time

While I think Alfie re-signs and Glendening will be around next year I think we will have to wait a little while longer to see the prospects I listed in the Wings lineup. One other option if desperate is Tootoo.

The Hockey News released its annual Future Watch prospect rankings prior to the Legwand trade and the Red Wings were the only franchise with five prospects rated in the top 75 — Anthony Mantha (10th), Tomas Jurco (32nd), Jarnkrok (41st), Xavier Ouellet (63rd) and Riley Sheahan (66th). Inexplicably omitted was goaltender Petr Mrazek, who THN only ranked seventh among Red Wings prospects.

LINK

With our current young players, young players coming up, and future signings, the most expendable pieces to me are Andersson and Miller.

Andersson + Miller + pick for Ehroff?

Heck we managed to package waiver clearing Eaves in a deal, though I know that was most likely just to clear roster space

In reality, they need 2 d-men. They need an offensive guy for the top 4 so they can have 2 balanced pairs, and they need a big PK guy for the 3rd pair to pair with Smith or Kindl. There's still hope that Smith could be a top 4 guy, but I think Kindl is what he's going to be and I'd like to see him traded. I think there are some teams that would take a chance on him blossoming in a different system.

This post basically screams for Xavier Ouellet. If we don't get Boyle, I'd love to see XO come up and put his stamp on our blueline.

In reality, they need 2 d-men. They need an offensive guy for the top 4 so they can have 2 balanced pairs, and they need a big PK guy for the 3rd pair to pair with Smith or Kindl. There's still hope that Smith could be a top 4 guy, but I think Kindl is what he's going to be and I'd like to see him traded. I think there are some teams that would take a chance on him blossoming in a different system.

This post basically screams for Xavier Ouellet. If we don't get Boyle, I'd love to see XO come up and put his stamp on our blueline.

I don't think he's ready, nor is he going to be a top pairing guy. I see him more as a #3.

Boyle would be great but only on a 1 year deal - if you look around the NHL that isn't happening much - Alfie was the exception and not the rule. We have a couple kids ready in 1 years time and we can't afford to lose those assets due to a logiam. Boyle, Marchenko replacing Kindl and Quincey would be ideal with Ouellet and Sproul stepping in the year after for Lashoff and Boyle.

To fix the BL is but one of our issues. But we have to start somewhere..... Now there isn't much in the UFA market, and most teams have plenty of cap this summer, so don't expect any big names getting boughtout/cut/waived etc..... Right now as of today we have the following BL:

E-Kronwall

DD-Smith

Lashoff-Kindl

Almqvist

Those 7 are all signed or RFA's that we control. That isn't good enough. There are 2 UFA's that do interest me, but they are stay at home defensive Dmen: Greene and Fayne. Sign one to play with Lashoff on the 3rd pair. The D is now better and Kindl can now be moved. Now we can trade for a RHed partner for DD. Smith would also be in play-that is the position we are upgrading. But Kindl and Smith together are not going to do it. We will have to add a young forward to the mix. Of the guys that have made it up this year I would move tatar. yes he is a good sniper, but that is all he brings. No D, can't do faceoffs, not a passer. Sheahan, Nyquist, Jurco, Pulkinnean, and mantha all offer far more. Now we have a package to make a move: tatar, smith, and Kindl. That should get us a sub 30 RHed Dman that is better than what we currently have. Now the BL looks like this:

E-Kronwall

DD-new trade target

lashoff-Greene/fayne

Almqvist

Much better. Also allows Oullett and Sproul to spend the next 2 years working together as a pair in GR.

Edited by Richdg

I was gonna say something here earlier today, but I lost interest. But, reading about Smith's latest screwup, I'm feeling interested again.

There's a lesson in Smith's struggles. Actually, there's a few - but the one I'm talking about is the one I've mentioned before, which is this:

Being a solid defenseman in the NHL is really hard.

Point being, don't expect Sproul and Ouellet to ride into town on magical unicorns and be top-four defensemen right off the hop like it's no big s*** cuz they're just that good. They're not that good. Not yet, anyway. ("Not yet, anyway"? Oh man, it's that time of night when words look weird.)

I'd like to see us sign Boyle and trade for Ehrhoff or Edler, someone good. The last time we won the Cup, our top three defensemen were Lidstrom, Rafalski, Kronwall.

I'd like to see us sign Boyle and trade for Ehrhoff or Edler, someone good. The last time we won the Cup, our top three defensemen were Lidstrom, Rafalski, Kronwall.

Yeah but no one has a top three like that in the entire league right now. St Louis comes close. You could totally win the cup now s***tier D than that.

Yeah but no one has a top three like that in the entire league right now. St Louis comes close. You could totally win the cup now s***tier D than that.

The Blues are such an easy team to cheer for in the West, built the right way, big tough and mean and all that done with a shoestring budget, unbelievable.

God I miss the days of having Lidstrom Rafalski in front of Hasek, The Russian 5 plus the bash brothers...and the captain as our leader man hockey post 2005 is just laughable compared to pre 2005.

I would like to put out there the question, Do you think Chicago would deal us Hossa back? Even with the cap increase going to $71M (maybe lower) they only have $5M available cap space next season. If Holland packaged our 1st round pick (which could be a top 10) with some players, do you think a deal could be made? What would you add to that #1 pick that make sense?

Hossa would he nice but our problem is on the back end. Only after that is fixed should Holland start dealing big assets for forwards.

We need a #1 or #2 defenseman who can score and move the puck. Doesn't have to be the greatest defensive guy. Then we need a sokid defensive vet for the bottom pairing.

Kronwall-Top Offensive D-man

DeKeyser-Ericsson

Solid vet-Smith

Instant Cup contender when added to our healthy forward corps.

regarding the D, you are absolutely correct. Three guys I would like to see targeted via UFA are Mitchell, Klesla and Morris.

I know Robidas and Orpik and Niskanen are also UFA's but the teams they are on are very much favorites to win a Cup this season. I cannot see a reason keeping Orpik AND Niskanen from both re-signing in PIT along with taking a discount to do so.

If Detroit were to subtract Quincey, Kindl then add Morris and Mitchell. I am not looking for points from these guys, that is what Kronwall and to a lessor extent Smith is there for. But right now, those two have to try to focus on being a defensive type and they're offense is non existent...especially Kronwall. If you add to it, TWO defensive type guys, then Kronner and Smith can play their game. Another one that I would consider trading is Ericsson.

Kronwall - Morris

Ericsson - Mitchell

Dekeyser - Smith

Edited by LeftWinger

regarding the D, you are absolutely correct. Three guys I would like to see targeted via UFA are Mitchell, Klesla and Morris.

I know Robidas and Orpik and Niskanen are also UFA's but the teams they are on are very much favorites to win a Cup this season. I cannot see a reason keeping Orpik AND Niskanen from both re-signing in PIT along with taking a discount to do so.

If Detroit were to subtract Quincey, Kindl then add Morris and Mitchell. I am not looking for points from these guys, that is what Kronwall and to a lessor extent Smith is there for. But right now, those two have to try to focus on being a defensive type and they're offense is non existent...especially Kronwall. If you add to it, TWO defensive type guys, then Kronner and Smith can play their game. Another one that I would consider trading is Ericsson.

Klesla is retired from the NHL, seeking work in Europe

The Blues are such an easy team to cheer for in the West, built the right way, big tough and mean and all that done with a shoestring budget, unbelievable.

God I miss the days of having Lidstrom Rafalski in front of Hasek, The Russian 5 plus the bash brothers...and the captain as our leader man hockey post 2005 is just laughable compared to pre 2005.

The thing I like about the Blues is they never had welfare picks handing them Crosby, Malkin, Toews, Kane, etc. Sure they've had high picks (ironically they one 1st was Eric Johnson) but I never get sick to my stomach thinking about them the way I do Chicago and Pittsburgh. They both got s***-ass lucky and sucked at just the right time to land elite generational talent. Hell, look at Edmonton. If they had been this bad from 2004-2006 they would have had Crosby and Ovechkin. Instead, they got Hall and the Nuge.

Basically, I like St Louis because I don't think the league gifted them a team.

Hossa would he nice but our problem is on the back end. Only after that is fixed should Holland start dealing big assets for forwards.

We need a #1 or #2 defenseman who can score and move the puck. Doesn't have to be the greatest defensive guy. Then we need a sokid defensive vet for the bottom pairing.

Kronwall-Top Offensive D-man

DeKeyser-Ericsson

Solid vet-Smith

Instant Cup contender when added to our healthy forward corps.

The solid vet will be easy to sign as a UFA.

That top offensive D-man is proving near impossible to acquire, and honestly, I don't know how Holland can do it with the assets we have.

I wonder if Holland ever thinks to himself, "I guess I should have 'overpaid' for a good defenseman when I had the chance". Like, I don't expect him to ever come out and say it, but I wonder if he thinks it. If so, it was probably right around the time he was trying to trade assets for the very same Christian Erhoff that half this forum was screaming to sign three years ago.