• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Andy Pred 48

Next Seasons Needs/Team Future

Rate this topic

Had pretty much written off nestrasil but he's been hot of late 14 pts in his past 15 games excluding this weekends games ... 2 goals last night and 2 assist tonight which makes it 19 pts in his past 16 games

And he's a big guy 6'3 200+pds and an rfa ..... He just turned 23 and I know it's taken him along time but he finally seems to be getting it

Do we let him go? Is he out of waiver options? I'm guessing yes? Anyone know?

probably never gonna be a top 6 guy but with his size and his game turning around i don't know if we can let him go

Had pretty much written off nestrasil but he's been hot of late 14 pts in his past 15 games excluding this weekends games ... 2 goals last night and 2 assist tonight which makes it 19 pts in his past 16 games

And he's a big guy 6'3 200+pds and an rfa ..... He just turned 23 and I know it's taken him along time but he finally seems to be getting it

Do we let him go? Is he out of waiver options? I'm guessing yes? Anyone know?

probably never gonna be a top 6 guy but with his size and his game turning around i don't know if we can let him go

19 points in 16 games? lets trade him to nashville for a 33 year old UFA.

Brad Boyes scored a slick bar-down goal on Carey Price last night. Maybe it's because we've been without Z and D for so long, but I feel like we could use a sniper like him - at the right price, of course. Sure, we've been scoring at a pretty good clip - but let's be honest: were it not for Nyquist's meteoric tear (probably not sustainable, long-term), our, um, goose would be cooked.

But then, I dunno who I'd swap out for him. I'm in the minority in wanting Alfie back. And if Jurco doesn't make the cut out of training camp, I will riot. So, whatever. Screw you, Boyes.

Guest DeGraa55

19 points in 16 games? lets trade him to nashville for a 33 year old UFA.

That'd be a good trade....he just having a hot streak don't think he will be much in nhl. Just my opinion though.

Brad Boyes scored a slick bar-down goal on Carey Price last night. Maybe it's because we've been without Z and D for so long, but I feel like we could use a sniper like him - at the right price, of course. Sure, we've been scoring at a pretty good clip - but let's be honest: were it not for Nyquist's meteoric tear (probably not sustainable, long-term), our, um, goose would be cooked.

But then, I dunno who I'd swap out for him. I'm in the minority in wanting Alfie back. And if Jurco doesn't make the cut out of training camp, I will riot. So, whatever. Screw you, Boyes.

Boyes is the exact type of player that would sign a longish deal with the wings and completely disappear. Guy isn't reliable if you look at his career stats.

Alrighty...

Cut/Trade:

LW Johan Franzen (Buyout) - I don't make this move because of his play this year nor last, I make it because of the ridiculousness of the 11-year contract he received. Get him out of here, he's replaceable and he is a drain on the cap. It would cost them $17.5M up front to cut him, but the long-term impact on the team should make it an easier pill to swallow. His play is going regress while there are plenty of other LW who will bring more jersey sales and more wins to the team.

C Stephen Weiss (Trade) - Gosh, I've been against this trade since the day it was announced. What an overrated player and severely overpaid!! Should have kept Filppula for that cost, at least he fit in with his teammates and played relatively well. I don't care who takes him, but get him out of Detroit. He was so bad this year, I don't know that anyone would even take him, but for the sake of my plan, they trade him for a 3rd round draft pick.

Re-Sign:

Detroit

RFA C Luke Glendening - $800,000 (1yr) - Luke is a gritty player that has a ton of room to develop into a grinder with a long career on 3rd and 4th checking lines.

RFA C Riley Sheahan - $825,000 (1yr) - Riley Sheahan has come to life this season and I am loving it. I think he'll eventually become a good 2nd line center and I would like him back in red sweaters next year.

RFA LW Tomas Tatar - $925,000 (1yr) - Oh buddy is he becoming the scorer we all thought he would. He's gotta stay in the team's plans long-term and the "kid line" really propelled this playoff push.

RFA D Danny DeKeyser - $2,900,000 (3yrs) - Time to lock him up for a few years. Signing a three-year deal for almost $9M total gives him security and a chance at a big payday at 27-years-old, while giving the Red Wings a top-4 D that has the potential to be top-2.

UFA RW Daniel Alfredsson - $5,000,000 (1yr) - I am in the "re-sign Alfie" crowd. I think he showed he still has it and with the roster changes I'm going to be making in the top 9, I need some consistency. Another 1-year deal should work for him and Detroit. He looks a lot better when Datsyuk is healthy. He'll bridge the gap between Nyquist moving to the top line and Jurco coming up to Detroit full-time in 2015-2016.

UFA G Jonas Gustavsson - $3,000,000 (1yr) - He gets a nice payday after a good year in net and bridges the gap before Mrazek is up full time, much like Alfie and Jurco. Doubling his pay should keep him in red.

Elsewhere
RFA C Cory Emmerton - $625,000 (1yr)
RFA C Landon Ferraro - $725,000 (1yr)
RFA RW Mitchell Callahan - $650,000 (1yr)
RFA RW Trevor Parkes - $600,000 (1yr)
RFA D Adam Almquist - $625,000 (1yr)
RFA D Max Nicastro - $600,000 (1yr)

Free Agent Signings:

RFA LW Patrik Berglund $3,550,000 (3yrs)
- Berglund is a Swedish LW/C who uses his size very well and can make things happen for his teammates. He is only going to be 26 this summer and he is a restricted free agent, so I try to sign him to the maximum value at the cost of a 2nd round pick (Unknown value right now). It could very well be matched, but we'll see - St. Louis has a number of players that they need to lock up long-term. If need be, if the team gets a 3rd round pick for Weiss, I'd consider giving up the 1st & 3rd for Berglund at the higher $$$ amount. He's young, he's huge, he's a two-way player, and he would make the most dominating Swedish line in the world.

UFA LW Matt Moulson $4,750,000 (2yrs) - Moulson is one of those top-6 guys that seems to perform even when bouncing around from team-to-team. I like him on the top line in my plans, although there is plenty of room to move him around if things don't work out there.

UFA RW Patrick Eaves $1,750,000 (1yr) - This will never happen, but he's the RW I want on my 4th line. The young kids are too young and I think he has been terribly under-used by Babcock. Give him a healthy raise and bring him back in red.

UFA D Dan Boyle $7,400,000 (1yr) - I don't know that he wants to leave the Sharks, but I make him an offer to become the 2nd-highest player on the Red Wings and a spot on the 1st line. His offensive prowess is solid - he's had a down year, but the entire Shark team has been dominating. I think he is the kind of defenseman that is available and can put the team over the edge. Give him the opportunity to play with a defenseman like Kronwall and he should perk up to the idea quite a bit!

Lines:

1st: Moulson - Datsyuk - Alfredsson
2nd: Berglund - Zetterberg - Nyquist
3rd: Tatar - Helm - Abdelkader
4th: Miller - Glendening - Eaves

Def1: Kronwall - Boyle
Def2: DeKeyser - Ericsson
Def3: Kindl - Smith

PP1: Zetterberg - Datsyuk - Abdelkader
Moulson - Boyle

PP2: Tatar - Berglund - Nyquist
Kronwall - Alfredsson

PK1: Miller - Helm
Kronwall - Ericsson

PK2: Glendening - Eaves
DeKeyser - Boyle

4-4 1: Zetterberg - Datsyuk
Kronwall - Boyle

4-4 2: Helm - Nyquist
Berglund - Ericsson

3-3 1: Datsyuk
Dekeyser - Boyle

3-3 2: Zetterberg
Kronwall - Nyquist

So going forward, Alfie retires and Nyquist assumes his role & money. Hopefully Smith grows, taking over on the 2nd line with DeKeyser moving up to the 1st line. Ouelett comes up, Jurco takes over for Nyquist (who moves up to 1st line) and Callahan could take over on the 4th line... Mrazek takes over backup goalie, freeing money up for Tatar... Makes for an easy transition.

Edited by _SP_

Abdelkader is on the power point because I think a fire under his butt would allow him to be great in front of the goalie.

^ There is ZERO chance that Sheahan is not on next year's opening roster. ZERO.

ZERO

Sorry, Sheahan and Andersson on the bench. I just don't know where you put him? Eaves' place? Abdelkader?

Do not touch the Kid Line....that is one dead solid etched in stone law I would apply to next year's team.

Franzen isn't going anywhere...Holland will not sign an RFA...Holland will not sign a FA forward of any kind unless it's retaining Legwand....I have no idea WTH is going on with Weiss, but he isn't a second line center on a roster that includes Datsyuk, Zetteberg, Helm and Sheahan. I don't expect Sammy, Bert or Cleary to be back, but we still have a surplus of forwards if Alfie and Legwand return...

Abdelkader is on the power point because I think a fire under his butt would allow him to be great in front of the goalie.

Sorry, Sheahan and Andersson on the bench. I just don't know where you put him? Eaves' place? Abdelkader?

Eaves’ place? LOL

Since this is a discussion forum, I respect your opinion, but with all due respect, I think your evaluation of this team is a little off if you have Sheahan on the bench.

Realistically knowing ken holland jurco will start the season next year In Grand Rapids .... I'd have to think one of legwand or weiss want be here next year especially if alfredsson also returns which I expect

Just too many guys and not enough spots

And I agree we need a good ... But not a goon goon someone who can fight but can play hockey

I know someone mentioned zach kassian? I know some people think he's cheap but he can also play and fight

That being said i don't think the canucks will trade him at all .... we definetly need some more toughness on our roster

Edited by nyqvististhefuture

Realistically knowing ken holland jurco will start the season next year In Grand Rapids .... I'd have to think one of legwand or weiss want be here next year especially if alfredsson also returns which I expect

Just too many guys and not enough spots

I agree. This is what I think will happen if Holland doesn't make a trade:

Zetterberg - Datsyuk - Nyquist

Tatar - Sheahan - Alfredsson (Jurco)

Weiss - Legwand - Franzen

Miller - Helm - Abdelkader

Glendening/Andersson

Glendening/Andersson

That's a pretty expensive 3rd line .... gotta think we won't keep all 3 of those

Wanted to ask .... Is pulkkinen out of waiver options? Guessing not cause he's a rookie but I'm asking cause he's 22 .... Not exactly sure on the rules

Edited by nyqvististhefuture

That's a pretty expensive 3rd line .... gotta think we won't keep all 3 of those

Wanted to ask .... Is pulkkinen out of waiver options? Guessing not cause he's a rookie but I'm asking cause he's 22 .... Not exactly sure on the rules

Pulkkinen is not out of options. He can come and go all season next year. Good times.

Glendening/Andersson

I'd imagine lines 2 and 3 are are more 2 and 2a and they could be flipped for those concerned about the money hierarchy. The only problem is that I think Helm is too good for a fourth line role (if he gets back his game completely - and he seems to be recently). Maybe he flips with Sheahan, but that breaks up the kids (then again you do have Alfie there) - Oh well, next year, if healthy, is going to be a fun year.

Boyes is the exact type of player that would sign a longish deal with the wings and completely disappear. Guy isn't reliable if you look at his career stats.

Well, I certainly wouldn't want a longish deal. Something on the short side. And his current cap hit is, like, $1M. So the thought was he might be one of those ultra-bargain types, like Sammy way back when.

1. I say we cut bait on Weiss and use our 2nd compliance buyout on him.

2. Bert, Cleary, Sammy are all gone

3. Bridge contracts (2 year) for Tatar (about 1M), Sheahan (about 1M), DeKeyser (about 1.4M)

4. Make a run at Ryan Callahan if TB can't resign him before FA.

5. If Alfie wants to come back at take less $ (say 4M next year) then so be it... Jurco starts the season in GR

6. If we don't get a big FA forward, then we think about resigning Legwand - But where does he go? Pav, Helm, and Sheahan are all centering lines next year - Is Legwand better than Helm or Sheahan? Are we going to pay 4M+ for a 3rd or 4th line center?

7. Make an attempt at a top pairing FA D-Man like Markov. Most likely, he will stay in MTL. Unfortunately, there aren't many options better than Quincey out there.

8. Make a trade to free up some room. Would be awesome to get an extra pick or two for the loaded 2015 draft.

Z-Pav-FA (Callahan)

Mule-Helm-Alfie

Gus-Sheahan-Tatar

Miller-Glendening-Abby

Andersson/Ferraro?

Kronner/Smith

E/DK

Q/Lahoff

Kindl

Euro twins and Nyquist

Kid Line

Weiss-Helm-Franzen

Miller-Andersson-Abby

Glendening, Callahan and Ferraro fight it out for the extra spots

I wish Alfie and Legwand good luck with their future endeavors...unless Weiss never recovers, then I probably keep Legwand over Alfie because he's younger and more likely to give me a decent outing on any given night. Alfie's age has caught up to him.

On defense...If I can't trade for a top 4 guy that can move the puck, I let Quincey walk and elevate Marchenko to the top 6 and let Lashoff and Kindl fight it out for the 6th spot. If I can get a top 4 guy I let Quincey walk and Marchenko bumps Lashoff. So the D looks like

Kronwall-?

Ericsson-Dekeyser

Marchenko-Smith

Kindl

Edited by Shinzaki

3. Bridge contracts (2 year) for Tatar (about 1M), Sheahan (about 1M), DeKeyser (about 1.4M)

5. If Alfie wants to come back at take less $ (say 4M next year) then so be it... Jurco starts the season in GR

6. If we don't get a big FA forward, then we think about resigning Legwand - But where does he go? Pav, Helm, and Sheahan are all centering lines next year - Is Legwand better than Helm or Sheahan? Are we going to pay 4M+ for a 3rd or 4th line center?

7. Make an attempt at a top pairing FA D-Man like Markov. Most likely, he will stay in MTL. Unfortunately, there aren't many options better than Quincey out there.

8. Make a trade to free up some room. Would be awesome to get an extra pick or two for the loaded 2015 draft.

Z-Pav-FA (Callahan)

Mule-Helm-Alfie

Gus-Sheahan-Tatar

Miller-Glendening-Abby

Andersson/Ferraro?

Kronner/Smith

E/DK

Q/Lahoff

Kindl

Compliance can not be used on Weiss. He signed a post-lockout deal.

Edited by rick zombo

Weiss can't be a compliance buyout. He was signed after the new CBA.

So retaining one or both of Alfie or Legwand will be our usual Holland FA signings.

Definitely want Bert, Clears, and Sammy gone and if we're retaining Alfie & Legwand... this is a done deal.

Bridge contracts seem appropriate for those guys, most definitely.

Ryan Callahan wants too much money for what he brings to the table.

A defenseman that can play in the top two pairings would be nice. I really think it needs to happen via trade as NONE of the pending UFA defensemen really entice me that much. Markov is too old and broken down. Have you checked his games played over the last few years... really brutal. If there's one thing this team does not need is another injury prone player.

I would use any trade pieces, picks or prospects to get the defenseman.