• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Andy Pred 48

Next Seasons Needs/Team Future

Rate this topic

I say if I am Kenny I would let Bert, Cleary, Alfie, and Q walk. I would also free up more cap space by buying out Franzen.

Resign Legwand

Sign Niskanen

Sign Vanek

Sign Ott

I think with those additions you address the defense, grit, and scoring. But we know that about only 40-50% of that will probably will happen. I can see us over paying for Q, Franzen back for another year, and I would not be shocked if Cleary is signed for depth.

TBH I don't expect anymore than one "big" move, if that. Should we make more? Yes. But I would not bet on it.

Let all the UFAs walk. Buyout one of the following: Tootoo, Franzen or Weiss. It would be a tough call on Weiss, because you're gambling on if he can produce again. If he's hurt, he doesn't count against the cap. Tootoo is an easy call, but less impact. Better to just bury the $1.9M for one more season. You can't really buy Franzen''s production for less money, but that would be more about the future. His dry spells are getting longer and longer and I don't relish what it might be like to watch him when he's 40.

Either way, that will give us over $20M in cap space. Use $5-$6M to re-sign our RFAs Dekeyser, Sheahan and Tatar. Should leave about $15M available.

Use that to sign one of either Statsny or Vanek. Then use the rest to sign either Niskanen (long term), Boyle, Markov or Orpik (short term). If any thing is left, re-sign Legwand.

Dats-Z-legwand

Vanek/Statsny-Weiss/Helm-Nyquist

Tatar-Sheahan-Jurco

Miller-Weiss/Helm-abdelkader

Res: Andersson, Tootoo, Glenny

Kronwall-Niskanen

DeKeyser-E

Smith-Oullete

Res: Kindl, Lashof

Howard

mrazek

Maybe re-sign Monster instead of Legwand?

Let all the UFAs walk. Buyout one of the following: Tootoo, Franzen or Weiss. It would be a tough call on Weiss, because you're gambling on if he can produce again. If he's hurt, he doesn't count against the cap. Tootoo is an easy call, but less impact. Better to just bury the $1.9M for one more season. You can't really buy Franzen''s production for less money, but that would be more about the future. His dry spells are getting longer and longer and I don't relish what it might be like to watch him when he's 40.

Either way, that will give us over $20M in cap space. Use $5-$6M to re-sign our RFAs Dekeyser, Sheahan and Tatar. Should leave about $15M available.

Use that to sign one of either Statsny or Vanek. Then use the rest to sign either Niskanen (long term), Boyle, Markov or Orpik (short term). If any thing is left, re-sign Legwand.

Dats-Z-legwand

Vanek/Statsny-Weiss/Helm-Nyquist

Tatar-Sheahan-Jurco

Miller-Weiss/Helm-abdelkader

Res: Andersson, Tootoo, Glenny

Kronwall-Niskanen

DeKeyser-E

Smith-Oullete

Res: Kindl, Lashof

Howard

mrazek

Maybe re-sign Monster instead of Legwand?

I really like your thought process but I have to add something:

After seeing Vanek and his first round performance I'd rather sign Niskanen + Moulson/Statsny and have a bit more capspace to get the Dekeyser signing done. Buying out Tootoo would be a waste of a buyout opportunity Weiss and Franzen are making much more and are signed longer, so that would make more sense. The lineup needs size and grit, so I would safe 2 - 3 million to fix the fourth line and go hard as McGrattan, Colton Orr and add at least two enforcers.

Man McDonagh would be a dream for the defense but I just don't see it happening, he sadly loves NY. As for Monster I would re-sign him, the question is does he want to re-sign here? :(

I'm indifferent on Ott he can be a physical force but also go completely unnoticed for long stretches :(

Dustin Penner says he's willing to entertain any and every offer he might get this summer because he needs a job. Ken Holland's latest reclamation project?

A line of Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Penner could be interesting.

If you think Franzen is lazy.....

I'd be open to re-signing Alfredsson.

You can't compliance-buyout Weiss; he was signed AFTER the new CBA. If you're not going to use Tootoo, cut him; it'll cost $600K for one year, that's it. Franzen better be bought out or I will lose all confidence in the FO. That's a move that MUST be made.

Agreed, buyout Franzen since he has no trade value left. Only re-sign UFA Legwand. Trade Andersson, Kindl, Lashoff and Tootoo for whatever you can get. I still trade Howard, he stinks plus just turned his back in the team by opting out of playing. Concussion my ass. He is gutless and yellow. Trade him and your 1st rounder at the draft and throw the wallet at Miller. Sign Vokoun or Nabokov as your backup. Sign Derek Morris and another defensive vet, then promote Ouellet to the #6/7 role.

Y'know with all the money they have tied into Samuelsson (3 mil), Bertuzzi (2.075 mil), and Cleary (1.75 mil) there's definitely enough for a top-2/solid top-4 defenseman there.

Then there's Alfredsson (3.5 mil), Legwand (4.5 mil), and Quincey's (3.775 mil) money coming off the books too. IMO aside from maybe alfredsson, most of those contracts are pretty poor so having them off the books has to help.

I wouldn't be opposed to buying out Kindl (2.4 mil) or Franzen (4 mil).

This would lead us to 21-24 million to fill 1-2 forward spots (assuming Jurco is up full time), roughly 2 D spots (depending on whether or not we call up Ouelette/buy-out Kindl), and a back-up goalie.

With that in mind we'd have to sign Dekeyser, Tatar, and Sheahan. Let's assume that all RFA's are resigned for roughly 10 million (which IMO is pretty gracious). Leaving us with still 11-14 million in free cap space and essentially the same roster we have now. If we then spend 2 mil on a back up goalie then we're still looking at 9-12 million to simply improve. I'd love to see more than just "depth" signings with that money. We should be able to bring in 3-4 players who could legitimately contribute on top of our current roster of the following:

Forwards:

40-13-8

93/UFA-90-14

21-15-26

20-43-41

Defenseman:

55-52

65-UFA

2-UFA

61-4(?)

Goalies:

UFA

Personally I think Ouellette could be our 6th D, but I don't like Lashoff as anything but a 7th D. Still we should have roughly 9-12 million for a top-4 D, top-6 D/top-4 forward. I'm honestly in favor of cutting Kindl over Franzen because I don't like the idea of tying up 3 million (23 and 4) into a 7th defenseman. So IMO I'd like to have 9 mil for a top-4 D, and top-6 D and then forward depth.

I honestly hope Kenny shakes things up a bit this offseason, he really has the potential to do so.

Edited by PaZel

Holland talked about Mantha maybe being able to play in the NHL right away - replace Franzen please.

Wait, are you talking about the thing from a few weeks ago, or is this a new thing? Details plz.

I don't see Legwand back... he was used as a 4th liner. Let all FA walk.

I would go bigger and tougher:

McQuaid, K. Miller or Gryba for Andersson and a pick (package for McQ only).

What would be asking price for Wilson?

Wilson? You mean Tom?

For me, the big argument against keeping Franzen is that we actually have some legitimate secondary talent now. For the longest time it's been "Well, how are we gonna replace his production?" And our options have been, like, Sammy and Bert and maybe Helm and Miller and Cleary and Abdelkader and Eaves and Tootoo and Hudler and maybe some big-name FA who we know is never actually coming. But now we have Nyquist, Tatar, Sheahan, Jurco, a healthy Helm, Pulkkinen (pure goal-scorer) in the wings, Mantha (pure goal-scorer, huge frame) in the wings, and, yes, that big-name FA who we know is never actually coming (this year it's Vanek). Also, maybe Alfie/Weiss/Legwand. Point being, we don't need Franzen. Hell, I think Jurco alone is enough reason to sever.

Get rid of Franzen. LeftWinger was ahead of the curve on this one.

Yeah, it might be crazy but I would send them Tatar +

I've actually thought about Wilson. Not sure what I'd be willing to give up for him, haven't thought that much about it - but he's on my list of Fringe Possibilities, for sure. Good call.

For me, the big argument against keeping Franzen is that we actually have some legitimate secondary talent now. For the longest time it's been "Well, how are we gonna replace his production?" And our options have been, like, Sammy and Bert and maybe Helm and Miller and Cleary and Abdelkader and Eaves and Tootoo and Hudler and maybe some big-name FA who we know is never actually coming. But now we have Nyquist, Tatar, Sheahan, Jurco, a healthy Helm, Pulkkinen (pure goal-scorer) in the wings, Mantha (pure goal-scorer, huge frame) in the wings, and, yes, that big-name FA who we know is never actually coming (this year it's Vanek). Also, maybe Alfie/Weiss/Legwand. Point being, we don't need Franzen. Hell, I think Jurco alone is enough reason to sever.

Get rid of Franzen. LeftWinger was ahead of the curve on this one.

I've actually thought about Wilson. Not sure what I'd be willing to give up for him, haven't thought that much about it - but he's on my list of Fringe Possibilities, for sure. Good call.

Put Wilson on the Dats line and he will make a lot space for Dats and Z... Need someone who is big, heavy and hits, fights... our forechek sucks... no pressure on def and they have a plenty of time in their zone...

Put Wilson on the Dats line and he will make a lot space for Dats and Z... Need someone who is big, heavy and hits, fights... our forechek sucks... no pressure on def and they have a plenty of time in their zone...

I'm down with it. I just feel like he'd probably cost quite a bit, given the state of the Caps. If I'm trading Nyquist or Tatar, I want a sure-thing impact player, probably a top-pairing defenseman.

I do think Dustin Penner is worth considering. I feel like he and Datsyuk would work well together.

I'd really like to get Moulson this offseason. He is the kind of player you put with a skilled C that creates chances. He will bury the chances he gets unlike Abby.

Vanek is likely going to MIN from what the media says but I'd like to hear that Kenny at least made a comparable offer but was turned down - otherwise he isn't doing his job.

I know this is going to be unpopular but I don't want to see any acquisitions on D. I think Marchenko and Ouellet are ready and should be up next year. By no means do I rank these 2nd and 3rd pairings any differently - I think Babs has shown he likes to play his pairings pretty equally:

Kronwall - Smith

Dekeyser - Marchenko

Ericsson - Ouellet

Lashoff (with Sproul as first call-up)

I think that if you split Ouellet and Marchenko up like that we will be just fine. Ouellet won't make many rookie mistakes and Marchenko has already played in the KHL. Those pairings all have size and skating. I know people will want E back with Kronner but I just don't think E is a top pairing guy who moves the puck that way. I think that E with Ouellet could be a very steady pairing that can be relied upon to kill penalties going forward.

Let's face it - we aren't getting a top pairing Dman through trade because they aren't available often and Holland blows at trading. I don't see why we should pay top dollar to get a top-4 guy like Edler or Ehrhoff when we will only create a logjam in our D development pipeline going forward and open up a hole somewhere else on the team. Our kids can step up just fine it just takes a shred of patience.

RW need 3 new players. A true top pair Dmen and 2 big tough/rugged wingers that can play the game. Not goons that can only fight and play 5 mins per game. But guys in the Matt Martin mold. a 12+ min per game guy, that is young and fast and good for 400+ hits per year. Now those guys are rare and expensive to get. But that is what this team need so bad it isn't funny. has been true for 4 or 5 years now.

Vanek, Berglund, & Boyle. Give Vanek 9.25M over 2 years, Berglund 4.75 over 4 years, and Boyle $7.5M for 1. Use the Boyle/Tootoo money to re-sign Nyquist after the season to a healthy contract & go after another player to take Bertuzzi's spot (unless Mantha is ready? IDK that he'd be ready for top-line play though).

Vanek-Datsyuk-Bertuzzi
Berglund-Zetterberg-Nyquist
Jurco-Sheahan-Tatar
Miller-Helm-Abdelkader

Glendening-Tootoo

Kronwall-Smith
Ericsson-DeKeyser
Boyle-Kindl

Lashoff

Howard
Mrazek

PP1: Vanek-Datsyuk-Bertuzzi, Zetterberg-Kronwall
PP2: Nyquist-Berglund-Tatar, Smith-Boyle

PK1: Helm-Abdelkader, Ericsson-Dekeyser
PK2: Berglund-Miller, Kronwall-Smith

Boom! One can dream, right?

In case anyone was wondering... bought out Franzen, demoted Andersson, and traded Weiss.

Edited by _SP_

http://kuklaskorner.com/tmr/comments/red-wings-bruins-game-5-quick-take-just-too-little-too-late-and-a-summer-of

Lots I could quote, but I agree with what Craig Custance says here:

1. Add an impact defenseman: The Red Wings have a lot of money coming off the books this summer, with unrestricted free agents David Legwand, Daniel Alfredsson, Mikael Samuelsson, Todd Bertuzzi, Kyle Quincey, Jonas Gustavsson and Danny Cleary all playing on expiring contracts. That’s a good $20 million in additional cap space Holland gets to work with, plus the salary cap is going up to something in the $70 million range.

Detroit isn’t the automatic destination it was in the past, but considering the young talent and one of the most respected coaches in the game in Mike Babcock, Holland should target one of the best defensemen available. This free agent class isn’t deep, but potentially includes Dan Boyle and Matt Niskanen.

The Red Wings have enough young talent that the trade route is an option too, if free agency dries up. Alexander Edler has long been a target for Detroit and Christian Ehrhoff is someone Buffalo would move if Detroit is willing to pay a steep enough price to make it worth the cap recapture risk.

We need outside help on the back end. I love what we have in the pipeline, but I want to see us be as competitive as we can be in the here and now. (Plus, we know there will be injuries, so the kids will get opportunities one way or another.)

If we legitimately bolster the blue line with a high-end veteran, we fix 90% of our problems. Ehrhoff would be huge. Ehrhoff + Boyle/Niskanen would be Christmas.

Ehrhoff + Boyle/Niskanen would be Christmas.

Actually, that'd leave pretty much no room for any of the kids, now and in the future.

But my point still stands. The blue line must improve, and substantially. This whole replace-Lidstrom-and-Rafalski-with-Kyle-Quincey thing has been fun, but by "fun" I mean "a waste of two of the few good years Datsyuk and Zetterberg have left." No more.

Edited by Dabura

Wait, are you talking about the thing from a few weeks ago, or is this a new thing? Details plz.

He said it a while back I think.

I'd do something like this (alter the salaries if you think they are unrealistic (we have the capspace).

FORWARDS

Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($7.500m) / Thomas Vanek ($7.500m) (probably dreaming)

Matt Moulson ($4.500m) / Stephen Weiss ($4.900m) / Gustav Nyquist ($0.950m)

Tomas Tatar ($1.000m) / Riley Sheahan ($1.000m) / Tomas Jurco ($0.709m)

Justin Abdelkader ($1.800m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m) / Luke Glendening ($0.628m)

Drew Miller ($1.350m) / Mitchell Callahan ($0.605m) /

DEFENSEMEN

Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Brendan Smith ($1.263m)

Danny DeKeyser ($2.250m) / Alexei Marchenko ($0.667m)

Jonathan Ericsson ($4.250m) / Xavier Ouellet ($0.670m)

Brian Lashoff ($0.725m) /

GOALTENDERS

Jimmy Howard ($5.292m)

Thomas Greiss ($0.750m)

BUYOUTS

Johan Franzen ($0.000m)

Carlo Colaiacovo ($0.000m)

BURIED

Jordin Tootoo ($0.975m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(estimations for 2014-15)

SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $62,241,667; BONUSES: $565,000

CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $8,858,333

If Weiss busts again - move Z back to C and bring pulkkinen up to play wing.

I'd really like to get Moulson this offseason. He is the kind of player you put with a skilled C that creates chances. He will bury the chances he gets unlike Abby.

Vanek is likely going to MIN from what the media says but I'd like to hear that Kenny at least made a comparable offer but was turned down - otherwise he isn't doing his job.

I know this is going to be unpopular but I don't want to see any acquisitions on D. I think Marchenko and Ouellet are ready and should be up next year. By no means do I rank these 2nd and 3rd pairings any differently - I think Babs has shown he likes to play his pairings pretty equally:

Kronwall - Smith

Dekeyser - Marchenko

Ericsson - Ouellet

Lashoff (with Sproul as first call-up)

I think that if you split Ouellet and Marchenko up like that we will be just fine. Ouellet won't make many rookie mistakes and Marchenko has already played in the KHL. Those pairings all have size and skating. I know people will want E back with Kronner but I just don't think E is a top pairing guy who moves the puck that way. I think that E with Ouellet could be a very steady pairing that can be relied upon to kill penalties going forward.

Let's face it - we aren't getting a top pairing Dman through trade because they aren't available often and Holland blows at trading. I don't see why we should pay top dollar to get a top-4 guy like Edler or Ehrhoff when we will only create a logjam in our D development pipeline going forward and open up a hole somewhere else on the team. Our kids can step up just fine it just takes a shred of patience.

Agreed don't wanna give up the high price for these dmen I do think marchenko will be a redwing next year and he will be good and Babcock obviously thinks high of ouellet so I'd say our chances of him being a redwing are good

If could sign a veteran dman for one year then fine , or a veteran dman in some kindl type deal , don't need to spend like crazy on a trade and niskanen is overrated IMO