• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Andy Pred 48

Next Seasons Needs/Team Future

Rate this topic

Kronwall is a 3-4 and Nyquist doesn't backcheck? Are we being serious with this right now? A couple of kids in their first full seasons aren't as good as 2 world class forwards so let's just ignore any potential they show. Also, Nyquist is already about as good as Hudler, and better defensively. I can't get over that you said Kronwall is a 3-4. He's a number one. 2 at worst on any team in the league.

I love threads like this because of people like you who don't listen to other people's opinions. If they aren't yours then you just say something like you said and it's game over. Probably is, you've played hockey how long?

Nyq is soft as a Pillsbury Doughboy. Trade him while his stock is high for a Marchand type player. We used to have a tough team. Remember 97 or did you forget how we won Cups? Even in 08. Tough team. Also, Kronwall was a 3-4 defenseman then...

I know you've been watching Wings hockey ever since you got cable in St. Johns, but he used to be a better d-man when HE WAS A 3-4 defensemen. Remember when we had Lids-Rafalski as a pair and Kronwall-Stuart. He hasn't handled the top pairing very well. He was groomed to be the next Lids and guess what, he's not. He's not the next Konstatinov. He's just an average, pretty soft for his size, mistake-prone, defenseman. Or he just plays that way as a 1-2 defenseman. But yeah, you're right. You know all about hockey because you come from the hot bed that is Newfoundland.

I love how just because I live in Newfoundland I'm suddenly from here. But guess what? NO defenseman in the entire league is Lidstrom. He was in a class of his own, and it could be a long time before there ever is another dman at that level. The guy was a machine for the team this year. A leader. Take Kronwall out of the picture and this team this season would have been a lottery pick team.

But please. Continue to judge me by where I currently live. I obviously know nothing about the game because of the town I have lived in for a whole 4 years.

Truth. No team in this league has 2 dmen that are better than Kronwall. Most teams don't have 1 dman better than him. All of a sudden if someone doesn't look like Lidstrom out there they aren't good enough.

We just disagree, apparently.

Chicago.

Phoenix.

St. Louis.

LA.

Ottawa.

Montreal.

Give me any of their top 2 D and I'll give up Kronwall and Nyq and Tatar and we'll be talking about a Cup.

EXAMPLE A EXAMPLE B

Seabrook-Keith Dekeyser-Weber

Smtih-Dekeyser Smtih-Josi

Sproul-Oullett Sproul-Oullett

I love how just because I live in Newfoundland I'm suddenly from here. But guess what? NO defenseman in the entire league is Lidstrom. He was in a class of his own, and it could be a long time before there ever is another dman at that level. The guy was a machine for the team this year. A leader. Take Kronwall out of the picture and this team this season would have been a lottery pick team.

But please. Continue to judge me by where I currently live. I obviously know nothing about the game because of the town I have lived in for a whole 4 years.

Haha, sorry. Obviously it's late and I'm furious at the Wings. Not you.

I never said Kronwall wasn't good. I think he's a better suited 3-4 d-man. That's all.

Edited by wings7

I love threads like this because of people like you who don't listen to other people's opinions. If they aren't yours then you just say something like you said and it's game over. Probably is, you've played hockey how long?

Nyq is soft as a Pillsbury Doughboy. Trade him while his stock is high for a Marchand type player. We used to have a tough team. Remember 97 or did you forget how we won Cups? Even in 08. Tough team. Also, Kronwall was a 3-4 defenseman then...

The only one here who can't handle other people's opinions is you. Of course people call you out when you say nonsense like Kronwall is a 2nd pairing dman and that they should trade all their young players because they didn't meet your unrealistic expectations in their first full NHL season.

Well your a moron, apparently

Chicago.

Phoenix.

St. Louis.

LA.

Ottawa.

Montreal.

Give me any of their top 2 D and I'll give up Kronwall and Nyq and Tatar and we'll be talking about a Cup.

EXAMPLE

Seabrook-Keith

Smtih-Dekeyser

Sproul-Oullett

Haha, sorry. Obviously it's late and I'm furious at the Wings. Not you.

I never said Kronwall wasn't good. I think he's a better suited 3-4 d-man. That's all.

Name calling. Nice. I figured you were a child.

As for Kronwall, he is on an NHL team, not an allstar team. On no team would he be 3-4 on the depth chart.

I've played competitive hockey for 20 years. I listened. Did I say ever say Nyquist wasn't soft, anywhere? In fact if you look in the "what happened to Nyquist" thread, I said he should put on some muscle. We were tougher in 08, yes. We were a better team and Kronwall was a 3-4. He was also 28 years old and on a team with the greatest defenseman of a generation and arguably the one of the greatest of all time. Comparing anything about hockey now to hockey in 1997 is asinine. This is a completely different game. As far as Nyquist and Tatar not being as good as Zetterberg and Datsyuk, in their first years in the league, Zetterberg abd Datsyuk weren't as good as Zetterberg and Datsyuk.

I've played competitive hockey for 20 years. I listened. Did I say ever say Nyquist wasn't soft, anywhere? In fact if you look in the "what happened to Nyquist" thread, I said he should put on some muscle. We were tougher in 08, yes. We were a better team and Kronwall was a 3-4. He was also 28 years old and on a team with the greatest defenseman of a generation and arguably the one of the greatest of all time. Comparing anything about hockey now to hockey in 1997 is asinine. This is a completely different game. As far as Nyquist and Tatar not being as good as Zetterberg and Datsyuk, in their first years in the league, Zetterberg abd Datsyuk weren't as good as Zetterberg and Datsyuk.

I don't think using common sense will work :lol:

That's what I meant. They aren't as good now and Z and Dats were then. You know this and I know this.

I don't think using common sense will work :lol:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA

Edited by wings7

The only one here who can't handle other people's opinions is you. Of course people call you out when you say nonsense like Kronwall is a 2nd pairing dman and that they should trade all their young players because they didn't meet your unrealistic expectations in their first full NHL season.

Name calling. Nice. I figured you were a child.

As for Kronwall, he is on an NHL team, not an allstar team. On no team would he be 3-4 on the depth chart.

I changed the name calling and apologized already. Good on you for responding appropriately.

Thanks for responding to my hockey comment that negated yours.

And if I knew how to attach a screnshot of Kronwall's numbers since he's been a top d-man I would. He is a -2 in his last 4 NHL seasons.

I changed the name calling and apologized already. Good on you for responding appropriately.

Thanks for responding to my hockey comment that negated yours.

And if I knew how to attach a screnshot of Kronwall's numbers since he's been a top d-man I would. He is a -2 in his last 4 NHL seasons.

So was Lidstrom the year he won his last Norris trophy. That was in just 1 season. By plus/minus logic, I guess Lids wasn't a legit #1 dman that season either.

It is the bottom pairing on this team that needs work. Not the top. Smith will keep getting better, as will DeKeyser. Along with Kronwall and E, that is gonna turn out to be a very good top 4. Improve the bottom pairing and the defense is suddenly good, with a nice blend of vets and young guys who will keep getting better. This is why you don't trade all the young players. They will continue to improve. To say guys like Goose and Tatar have to become the next Datsyuk and Zetterberg to justify staying with this team is absolutely foolish. Dats and Hank are world class players and became that way because of their work ethic. Very few players ever get to become as good as they are.

The Wings may or may not have players in the system that can eventually replace what they bring to this team. But what they definitely have is a lot of young players that can and will become very important pieces of this team. It isn't going to happen over night. There are no quick fixes in the cap world. Trading all the kids for great players isn't gonna happen. And even if it did, the Wings would become the Rangers. 2 decades of trading and signing big name players only to lead to 2 decades of mediocrity. Why? Because their management weren't patient. This isn't 2002. Holland can't go out and buy or trade for missing pieces anymore.

So was Lidstrom the year he won his last Norris trophy. That was in just 1 season. By plus/minus logic, I guess Lids wasn't a legit #1 dman that season either.

It is the bottom pairing on this team that needs work. Not the top. Smith will keep getting better, as will DeKeyser. Along with Kronwall and E, that is gonna turn out to be a very good top 4. Improve the bottom pairing and the defense is suddenly good, with a nice blend of vets and young guys who will keep getting better. This is why you don't trade all the young players. They will continue to improve. To say guys like Goose and Tatar have to become the next Datsyuk and Zetterberg to justify staying with this team is absolutely foolish. Dats and Hank are world class players and became that way because of their work ethic. Very few players ever get to become as good as they are.

The Wings may or may not have players in the system that can eventually replace what they bring to this team. But what they definitely have is a lot of young players that can and will become very important pieces of this team. It isn't going to happen over night. There are no quick fixes in the cap world. Trading all the kids for great players isn't gonna happen. And even if it did, the Wings would become the Rangers. 2 decades of trading and signing big name players only to lead to 2 decades of mediocrity. Why? Because their management weren't patient. This isn't 2002. Holland can't go out and buy or trade for missing pieces anymore.

I know this isn't 2002. We've done nothing in the salary cap era except horrible deals. Holland should go too.

Lidstrom definitely won some of those trophies despite stats because of reputation but whatever. His offensive numbers were also always better than Kronwalls. Also, in Lids last four season he was a +74. So yeah, one bad +/- season, while still breaking the 60 point mark isn't the worst thing in the world.

Go through every team's top d-man and you'll see Kronwall has struggled since being "the" guy. He's a -5 the last two seasons. He was struggling in Lids last two seasons too. He doesn't put up the biggest offensive numbers and he makes plenty of mistakes playing against the other team's top players. He just isn't meant to do it. But as the #3 defenseman, he's a steal.

It's just a fact. The man can't even hit the net, let alone a player, anymore. You can improve this team but not accepting mediocrity. If Big E and Kronwall are pair 2 and Dekeyser and Smith are pair 3 that solves a lot. Now spend our youth and trade for two top d-men. And sign another forward with cap space.

Edited by wings7

I know this isn't 2002. We've done nothing in the salary cap era except horrible deals. Holland should go too.

Lidstrom definitely won some of those trophies despite stats because of reputation but whatever. His offensive numbers were also always better than Kronwalls. Go through every team's top d-man and you'll see Kronwall has struggled since being "the" guy. That's just a fact. The man can't even hit the net, let alone a player, anymore. You can improve this team but not accepting mediocrity. If Big E and Kronwall are pair 2 and Dekeyser and Smith are pair 3 that solves a lot. Now spend our youth and trade for two top d-men. And sign another forward with cap space.

Good luck fitting your dream defense under the salary cap! And yes, lets trade all of the youth so the team can be good for 2-3 years and then be absolutely screwed. Genius plan. Smelling a dynasty already.

Seriously though. I'd love to know what magical team(s) is gonna give up 2 top dmen that are better than Kronwall, considering there might be only about 10 of them in the entire league. You know what that means? Kronwall IS a #1 dman. Yoo know what would happen in your dream scenario? There would be no depth because all the cap would be tied up in too few players. If you want the 3rd pairing and 4th line to always be players making league minimum, I guess that works. The problem is, teams in such situations never win.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but NHL 14 doesn't work in the real world.

Good luck fitting your dream defense under the salary cap! And yes, lets trade all of the youth so the team can be good for 2-3 years and then be absolutely screwed. Genius plan. Smelling a dynasty already.

Seriously though. I'd love to know what magical team(s) is gonna give up 2 top dmen that are better than Kronwall, considering there might be only about 10 of them in the entire league. You know what that means? Kronwall IS a #1 dman. Yoo know what would happen in your dream scenario? There would be no depth because all the cap would be tied up in too few players. If you want the 3rd pairing and 4th line to always be players making league minimum, I guess that works. The problem is, teams in such situations never win.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but NHL 14 doesn't work in the real world.

The Blackhawks have all their money tied up in a few guys...Hmm....

And why only 2-3 years? Did I say sign 37+ year olds? No, so not sure where you got that from.

And it's your opinion that there are only 10 defenseman better - in +/- he finished 130. In defenseman only. Pretty good year, right?

I don't even own NHL 14. You're the best at this.

Defense is more important than offense. Also, we need game changers right now or we will just waste the rest of Pav and Z's careers. Give up what you need to for 2 great dman and sign one real power forward. Buyout Franzen.

CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER
CapGeek Armchair GM Roster
FORWARDS
Jaromir Jagr ($4.000m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($7.500m) / Dave Bolland ($4.000m)
Daniel Alfredsson ($3.000m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m)
Riley Sheahan ($1.000m) / Stephen Weiss ($4.900m) / Tomas Tatar ($1.000m)
Luke Glendening ($0.628m) / Marcel Goc ($1.700m) / Ben Eager ($1.100m)
Anthony Mantha ($0.894m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Matt Niskanen ($4.000m) / Dan Boyle ($6.667m)
Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($4.250m)
Brendan Smith ($1.263m) / Danny DeKeyser ($1.000m)
Andrew Alberts ($1.000m) /
GOALTENDERS
Martin Brodeur ($6.000m)
Petr Mrazek ($0.595m)
BUYOUTS
Johan Franzen ($0.000m)
Carlo Colaiacovo ($0.000m)
BURIED
Jordin Tootoo ($0.975m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $68,430,000; BONUSES: $195,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $2,670,000

FORWARDS

Daniel Alfredsson ($3.000m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m)

DEFENSEMEN

GOALTENDERS

Martin Brodeur ($6.000m)

Petr Mrazek ($0.595m)

BUYOUTS

Johan Franzen ($0.000m)

BURIED

Jordin Tootoo ($0.975m)

------

What happened? Nyquist and Howard are gone for nothing? If you aren't going to include them at least trade them in a package for a quality dman.

Neither Niskanen or Boyle are top pairing Dmen and do nothing to solve our problems. What do we do when Ouellet/Sproul/Marchenko are ready? There is nowhere to play other than Boyle retiring potentially.

Mantha up to be a spare forward? Unlikely.

Brodeur? Have you seen him this year - he has been pretty bad and regressed a lot.

Helm in the top 6 as a winger? Very unlikely to happen considering we have other wingers better suited to that position.

Bolland isn't a first line player - he is a gritty 3C.

Goc - the last thing we need is another bottom 6 C. Actually 2/3 of the players on each line is a natural C.

I understand you feel we need a big shakeup - but we shouldn't attempt to turn over half the team in one offseason composed mainly of UFA players that are likely going to be overpaid. You have some good thoughts about adding size to the lineup - which I agree with. I also think Kindl and Lashoff should not be in the top 6 next year and should be moved. I just think you went a little far in implementing these ideas.

What happened? Nyquist and Howard are gone for nothing? If you aren't going to include them at least trade them in a package for a quality dman.

Neither Niskanen or Boyle are top pairing Dmen and do nothing to solve our problems. What do we do when Ouellet/Sproul/Marchenko are ready? There is nowhere to play other than Boyle retiring potentially.

Mantha up to be a spare forward? Unlikely.

Brodeur? Have you seen him this year - he has been pretty bad and regressed a lot.

Helm in the top 6 as a winger? Very unlikely to happen considering we have other wingers better suited to that position.

Bolland isn't a first line player - he is a gritty 3C.

Goc - the last thing we need is another bottom 6 C. Actually 2/3 of the players on each line is a natural C.

I understand you feel we need a big shakeup - but we shouldn't attempt to turn over half the team in one offseason composed mainly of UFA players that are likely going to be overpaid. You have some good thoughts about adding size to the lineup - which I agree with. I also think Kindl and Lashoff should not be in the top 6 next year and should be moved. I just think you went a little far in implementing these ideas.

Dude, I don't know how to use capgeek that well. Haha. So yeah, we could get players for Nyquist and Howard. For sure.

Brodeur is the best goalie of all time, let him teach Petr for a season. Maybe he will be better in a new uniform. If nothing else, a great mentor.

Helm's speed is perfect for Dats and Jagr. I disagree with you there. Also, it's possible Helm just isn't a good center. Goc is tougher than our whole team. We need toughness. We should sign both those defenseman. Maybe Big E plays with Boyle and Matty plays with Kronwall. But we need to improve there. Also, if Sproul or Oullett are ready, they will find a spot on the team. The kids will get more ready by playing with solid veterans.

Edited by wings7

Dude, I don't know how to use capgeek that well. Haha. So yeah, we could get players for Nyquist and Howard. For sure.

Brodeur is the best goalie of all time, let him teach Petr for a season. Maybe he will be better in a new uniform. If nothing else, a great mentor.

Helm's speed is perfect for Dats and Jagr. I disagree with you there. Also, it's possible Helm just isn't a good center. Goc is tougher than our whole team. We need toughness. We should sign both those defenseman. Maybe Big E plays with Boyle and Matty plays with Kronwall. But we need to improve there. Also, if Sproul or Oullett are ready, they will find a spot on the team. The kids will get more ready by playing with solid veterans.

I agree with your thought process to a point. Time for some big moves. Yes that means taking.......RISKS! But we are not going to go out and turn over 50% of our roster in 1 year. No team does that.

As for some of your moves, no thanks. There are better options out there and some of your salaries are way off. Buyout Franzen-yes. No thanks on Alfie-he is done. Mrasek isn't ready and Broduer can't do it anymore. Howard is better than both right now. Not a fan of Boyle either. he is soft. Dekeyser will be making a lot more than 1 million next year. Somewhere in the 2.5 million range.

I agree with your thought process to a point. Time for some big moves. Yes that means taking.......RISKS! But we are not going to go out and turn over 50% of our roster in 1 year. No team does that.

As for some of your moves, no thanks. There are better options out there and some of your salaries are way off. Buyout Franzen-yes. No thanks on Alfie-he is done. Mrasek isn't ready and Broduer can't do it anymore. Howard is better than both right now. Not a fan of Boyle either. he is soft. Dekeyser will be making a lot more than 1 million next year. Somewhere in the 2.5 million range.

That would be terrible GM-ing. After 1, ONE!, season you should not be making 2.5 million. Dekeyser looked very human against Boston. Let's not overreact on him yet. He could easily be the next Big E. It's easy to play well in your first partial NHL season when no one knows you and you have no pressure to do well...

We give people raises way too quickly. And then we wonder why we have a bad team. I can go either way with Alfie, but I think he can be a great signing if he isn't making too much.

FORWARDS

DEFENSEMEN

GOALTENDERS

Martin Brodeur ($6.000m)

Petr Mrazek ($0.595m)

BUYOUTS

Johan Franzen ($0.000m)

BURIED

Jordin Tootoo ($0.975m)

------

Not sure if serious.

That would be terrible GM-ing. After 1, ONE!, season you should not be making 2.5 million. Dekeyser looked very human against Boston. Let's not overreact on him yet. He could easily be the next Big E. It's easy to play well in your first partial NHL season when no one knows you and you have no pressure to do well...

We give people raises way too quickly. And then we wonder why we have a bad team. I can go either way with Alfie, but I think he can be a great signing if he isn't making too much.

LOL

FORWARDS

DEFENSEMEN

GOALTENDERS

Martin Brodeur ($6.000m)

Petr Mrazek ($0.595m)

BUYOUTS

Johan Franzen ($0.000m)

BURIED

Jordin Tootoo ($0.975m)

------

And this would be AWESOME GM-ing!!! :lol:

LOL

And this would be AWESOME GM-ing!!! :lol:

I'm not a GM. He is. I'm allowed to have fun on CapGeek.

Also, that roster is much improved. Borders on finishing 4-5 not 8-9.

Plus we'd get another top player for trading Howard and Nyquist. Maybe a Yandle or someone.

I love people like you. Get all sarcastic and hide behind their computer. Mr. Tough Guy. Are you Tatar in disguise?

I'm not a GM. He is. I'm allowed to have fun on CapGeek.

Also, that roster is much improved. Borders on finishing 4-5 not 8-9.

Plus we'd get another top player for trading Howard and Nyquist. Maybe a Yandle or someone.

I love people like you. Get all sarcastic and hide behind their computer. Mr. Tough Guy. Are you Tatar in disguise?

Yes, you've said that already.

Edited by rick zombo

FORWARDS

DEFENSEMEN

GOALTENDERS

Martin Brodeur ($6.000m)

Petr Mrazek ($0.595m)

BUYOUTS

Johan Franzen ($0.000m)

BURIED

Jordin Tootoo ($0.975m)

------

Aside from all of the other true head scratchers of this "roster", a soon-to-be-and-declining 42 year old Marty Brodeur (currently making $4M per) @$6M?

Somebody needs to take CapGeek away from this fella....

We signed an aging Hasek. He won us a Cup and helped Osgood redefine himself.

Why not let Petr learn from the best?

I was just having fun anyways. I don't think the Wings are going to let me GM (thank god) [burn!]

As long as the people in the organization who matter get it, we'll be okay....

“We’ve been saying it now for three years — it looks good for the future, it looks good for the future, it looks good for the future,” Zetterberg said after the Wings’ 4-2 loss in Boston. “Obviously we have good young guys in our systemicon1.png that really showed they can play. But we’ve seen that before, too. We kept the playoff streak going, but it’s getting tiring to not go deeper.”

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20140428/SPORTS0103/304280023#ixzz30C20gWZn

You may not like it, but he will be in that area for his next contract which is this summer. He is a RFA. We have plenty of cap space. bad GMing would be to sign him to a 8 year 40 million contract like many teams do. Do a 3 year transition contract, which Holland gets a lot of credit for around the league.

As long as the people in the organization who matter get it, we'll be okay....

“We’ve been saying it now for three years — it looks good for the future, it looks good for the future, it looks good for the future,” Zetterberg said after the Wings’ 4-2 loss in Boston. “Obviously we have good young guys in our systemicon1.png that really showed they can play. But we’ve seen that before, too. We kept the playoff streak going, but it’s getting tiring to not go deeper.”

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20140428/SPORTS0103/304280023#ixzz30C20gWZn

yup. Add to it Babcocks coments about being a soft out, and yeah the streak means less and less. As always there is 1 champion and 29 first losers.