• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Andy Pred 48

Next Seasons Needs/Team Future

Rate this topic

As long as the people in the organization who matter get it, we'll be okay....

“We’ve been saying it now for three years — it looks good for the future, it looks good for the future, it looks good for the future,” Zetterberg said after the Wings’ 4-2 loss in Boston. “Obviously we have good young guys in our systemicon1.png that really showed they can play. But we’ve seen that before, too. We kept the playoff streak going, but it’s getting tiring to not go deeper.”

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20140428/SPORTS0103/304280023#ixzz30C20gWZn

At least Zetterberg gets it. Looking to the future is good and all, but you've got to try to win now, not just sit and hope things work out in 5 years. I hope the organization is tired of losing like Zetterberg says and is ready to make some aggressive (but smart) moves.

As long as the people in the organization who matter get it, we'll be okay....

“We’ve been saying it now for three years — it looks good for the future, it looks good for the future, it looks good for the future,” Zetterberg said after the Wings’ 4-2 loss in Boston. “Obviously we have good young guys in our systemicon1.png that really showed they can play. But we’ve seen that before, too. We kept the playoff streak going, but it’s getting tiring to not go deeper.”

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20140428/SPORTS0103/304280023#ixzz30C20gWZn

That's an interseting quote for sure.

Other than the influx of Kronwall. Filpulla, and Hudler in 2006, which eventually lead to a cup in 2008, when have "we seen that before" during Zetterberg's time here. I love Zetterberg as much as the next guy/gal, and I get what he's trying to say, but this is the first big youth push we've had since 2006.

Zetterberg is a true leader he gets it as does Babcock. Building a winner to me is more important than a streak. That means no more short-term fixes and no heavily over the hill signings (Boyle, Jagr, Brodeur...)

Times have changed and the model to follow now is the Boston model, Bans said it best they are what we were in 2008.

Zetterberg is a true leader he gets it as does Babcock. Building a winner to me is more important than a streak. That means no more short-term fixes and no heavily over the hill signings (Boyle, Jagr, Brodeur...)

Times have changed and the model to follow now is the Boston model, Bans said it best they are what we were in 2008.

Zetterberg is a true leader he gets it as does Babcock. Building a winner to me is more important than a streak. That means no more short-term fixes and no heavily over the hill signings (Boyle, Jagr, Brodeur...) Times have changed and the model to follow now is the Boston model, Bans said it best they are what we were in 2008.

I agree with this post.

However, I would take Boyle on a 1 year deal just to give the kids in GRs another year.

Also, I get really angry when Wings fans are jealous of Boston and want to build a team like that. We've recently had our time and they are having theirs now. In addition, they may be in the position we were in in 2007, 2008, and 2009, but the two teams are completely different.

I feel like some people who want the Wings to be bigger and more physical are using Boston's team as a self-serving example.

I'd rather have a young, highly skilled, hard working, super hungry team with a bit of grit (Drake, Stuart, McCarty) and two elite D-men, like the 2008 Red Wings team than have a team full of apes (Lucic and Chara) and hillbilly D-bags (Marchand). Personal preference I guess.

Edited by rick zombo

Brodeur is washed up. Bolland is an injury-prone bottom-six center. Eager is horrible. We'll be lucky to get one of Niskanen/Boyle, and even then, Niskanen's body of work doesn't wow me (his breakout season happens to be a contract year), and Boyle is rumored to be looking for a multi-year deal, which is an issue, because he's old and declining. Miller is our best penalty-killer; where is he? Helm is one of the better third-line centers in the league; why is he slotted as a second-line winger? Abdelkader is basically the only "heavy" we have; where is he? Buying out Franzen only works if we have a long-term plan in place for replacing his production, e.g. Nyquist + Tatar + Jurco. But you've traded Nyquist, for nothing. And you've traded Howard, also for nothing? Two of our top-six scorers - Jagr and Alfredsson - would be one-year stopgaps, so the season after next we'll be without Jagr, Alfredsson, Franzen, and Nyquist, which is a lot of lost production. Who is Andrew Alberts? Is he better than Marchenko/Ouellet/Sproul? Why is Mantha sitting in the press box instead of playing key minutes for the Griffins?

That said,

THIS IS THE INTERWEB. IT'S SERIOUS BUSINESS.

CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER

CapGeek Armchair GM Roster

FORWARDS

Jaromir Jagr ($4.000m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($7.500m) / Dave Bolland ($4.000m)

Daniel Alfredsson ($3.000m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m)

Riley Sheahan ($1.000m) / Stephen Weiss ($4.900m) / Tomas Tatar ($1.000m)

Luke Glendening ($0.628m) / Marcel Goc ($1.700m) / Ben Eager ($1.100m)

Anthony Mantha ($0.894m) /

DEFENSEMEN

Matt Niskanen ($4.000m) / Dan Boyle ($6.667m)

Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($4.250m)

Brendan Smith ($1.263m) / Danny DeKeyser ($1.000m)

Andrew Alberts ($1.000m) /

GOALTENDERS

Martin Brodeur ($6.000m)

Petr Mrazek ($0.595m)

BUYOUTS

Johan Franzen ($0.000m)

Carlo Colaiacovo ($0.000m)

BURIED

Jordin Tootoo ($0.975m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(estimations for 2014-15)

SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $68,430,000; BONUSES: $195,000

CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $2,670,000

I hate to pile on here, but BARF.

You honestly think Niskanen and old man Boyle are better than Kronwall is right now? Brodeur and Mrazek??? Is that even serious? You would give us the worst goalie tandem in the league... while we give up the BETTER goalie (for...nothing, apparently) who makes less money?? AND you're giving Brodeur a TWO million dollar raise?

Then you have Bolland on the top line??? He wasn't even good enough as a 3rd liner for the Maple Leafs, and you are going to throw him on the top line? And why is Mantha an extra forward? That would be the absolute worst possible decision for his development... have him play in 0 leagues instead of having him tear up the one league he should (and will) be playing in.

Where is Nyquist? Where are these guys going that you are just giving up... without a single non-FA player coming back in return?

This is the single worst Wings related capgeek roster I've ever seen, and I've seen quite a few (even made a few bad ones myself).

Edited by hooon

Also, I get really angry when Wings fans are jealous of Boston and want to build a team like that. We've recently had our time and they are having theirs now. In addition, they may be in the position we were in in 2007, 2008, and 2009, but the two teams are completely different.

I feel like some people who want the Wings to be bigger and more physical are using Boston's team as a self-serving example.

I'd rather have a young, highly skilled, hard working, super hungry team with a bit of grit (Drake, Stuart, McCarty) and two elite D-men, like the 2008 Red Wings team than have a team full of apes (Lucic and Chara) and hillbilly D-bags (Marchand). Personal preference I guess.

I'm not convinced the Bruins are going to be the beasts of the East much longer. For one thing, being big and nasty and hitting everything that moves takes a toll on the body in the long run and becomes increasingly difficult as you move past your prime years and push deep into your 30s. Chara - who's 80% of their team - is 37 and slowing down. Iginla - who's been huge for them - is 36. Bergeron - who's, well, Bergeron - is 28 and probably about the best he's going to be, and he's already put his body through a lot in terms of both injuries and mileage. Eriksson (who's been a disappointment and might have lingering concussion issues) and Krejci are also 28 and also probably about the best they're going to be. Kelly is 33. Seidenberg is 32. Marchand and Smith don't strike fear into my heart.

I dunno. I think Babs was right when he said what makes the Bruins special is they've got Chara and Lucic. I think that was a subtle dig at the Bruins. Can they be a contender for, like, 18 straight years? (See: Red Wings.) If (and when) they lose Chara, are they nearly as physically imposing and solid defensively? Are they really set up for a decade or more of dominance? If they're pushing deep into the playoffs every season, is fatigue and injury and wear and tear not going to be an issue? They've only won one Cup in the modern era, and if they don't win another within the next several years (and it's going to be tough with those top teams in the West pushing each other to be as good as they can possibly be), they'll be hearing about it from the very same people who were calling them a legitimate dynasty just a few years earlier.

Not that we're sitting pretty, of course. We basically have no identity post-Lidstrom. We talk about skill and possession and defense, but, to be honest, the only area where we have a big advantage over any other playoff team is our coaching, and that's probably up for debate. In the past, we won on skill. We're not skilled enough to do that anymore. Our possession game is average at best. We're used to getting so very, very much from our blue line, and now we're getting so very, very little. If we're going to play a low-scoring, tight-checking, ultra-defensive game, well, we're not at all built for it. All I really know is, if we're going to win one more Cup before Datsyuk goes back home, we need to bring in high-end help from outside the system. Sproul and Ouellet and Mantha won't magically have us beating Chicago in the finals in three years. To me, "retooling" means steadily bringing in youth but also adding key pieces through free agency and the trade route. Otherwise, it's basically just a rebuild, minus the tanking. So, a poorly done rebuild. (See: the Flames prior to this season.)

I think Chicago has it right. At their core, they're a skilled possession team that can move the puck like no one's business. They are ridiculously deep, talent-wise. BUT, they also have plenty of snarl. And they have great young talent that fits their current system.

Plans for next season:

Tank, tank hard, tank fast. Get the first overall and draft McDavid.

2015 team:

Zetterberg-McDavid (ELC)-Mantha (ELC)

Pulkkinen (ELC)-Datsyuk-Nyquist

Tatar-Sheahan (ELC)-Jurco (ELC)

Abdelkader-Helm- Callahan (ELC)

Use the savings on cheap, young, extremely talented forwards on a couple defensemen.

Tell me that isn't sexy as hell?

Edited by Shaman

The Blackhawks have all their money tied up in a few guys...Hmm....

And why only 2-3 years? Did I say sign 37+ year olds? No, so not sure where you got that from.

And it's your opinion that there are only 10 defenseman better - in +/- he finished 130. In defenseman only. Pretty good year, right?

I don't even own NHL 14. You're the best at this.

Defense is more important than offense. Also, we need game changers right now or we will just waste the rest of Pav and Z's careers. Give up what you need to for 2 great dman and sign one real power forward. Buyout Franzen.

I love how +/- is your only argument on deciding whether Kronwall is a top pairing or second pairing defenseman. This is just one of many reasons why nobody is taking you serious.

Plans for next season:

2015 team:

Use the savings on cheap, young, extremely talented forwards on a couple defensemen.

The idea of tanking a season for a draft pick is sickening

Malik:

http://kuklaskorner.com/tmr/comments/red-wings-morning-news-holland-drops-a-hint-regarding-defenseman-shopping-l

http://kuklaskorner.com/tmr/comments/a-few-more-post-elimination-red-wings-musings-assessing-blame

http://kuklaskorner.com/tmr/comments/happy-we-have-another-day-to-complain-and-speculate-day

I like how Z is like "The streak? Whatever. This blows" and Holland is like "Well, making the playoffs is a really big deal. Half the teams in the league don't make the playoffs!"

OK, that's not fair to Holland. He seems more disappointed than usual. But he did say half the league doesn't make the playoffs, which, to me, actually takes some of the shine off the accomplishment. If half the league isn't making it, half the league is. Which means if you're absolutely vanilla-average, you've got a pretty good shot at making it. Which is why I hate this "Well, all you have to do is make the dance and from there anything can happen" business. No. If you're middling, you're gonna get rocked. Period. (Unless your goalie is lights-out amazing for you.)

I don't think we're landing a big, physical scoring winger and a top-four defenseman in one summer. But if I were going to try to swing it, I'd realize that Kronwall, Ericsson, DeKeyser, and Smith - they're Wings for the long haul, and that's going to be an issue because Ouellet, Sproul, Marchenko, Backman, and maybe Almqvist are all looking like they're going to be pretty good NHL defensemen. Package one or two of them along with one of Nyquist/Tatar/Sheahan/Jurco and a pick and/or a roster player or two (Andersson? Kindl? Lashoff?), and I think that winger or defenseman might be obtainable. Then make a splash in free agency for the other half, and there is your winger+dman double shot espresso.

It's gonna be a long summer.

Edited by Dabura

Plans for next season:

2015 team:

Not gonna happen. The Wings brass wants the streak to continue as long as possible.

Plans for next season:

2015 team:

Trade Franzen and our 1st to Edmonton for their first, then draft McDavid. Everyone wins. Except Edmonton but who cares.

Not gonna happen. The Wings brass wants the streak to continue as long as possible.

The streak is a joke. Over half the teams in the NHL make the playoffs (about 54% of teams), this isn't like the Atlanta Brave's streak of 14 years where one team per division makes the playoffs plus one wild card (26% of teams). I really don't get why people are so up their own asses about it.

The streak is a joke. Over half the teams in the NHL make the playoffs (about 54% of teams), this isn't like the Atlanta Brave's streak of 14 years where one team per division makes the playoffs plus one wild card (26% of teams). I really don't get why people are so up their own asses about it.

Tanking a season for a draft pick is even more of a joke.

I love how +/- is your only argument on deciding whether Kronwall is a top pairing or second pairing defenseman. This is just one of many reasons why nobody is taking you serious.

You don't have to take me serious. I know how much I know about hockey and ultimately that's good enough for me. This is a ******* online forum. Chill out dude. (No you chill out, you just said the f-word). Fine you don't want +/-, fine. What do you want? Every game in the playoffs Kronwall wasn't our best player. Wasn't our best defenseman. He said so himself. He is better against the other team's second line. PERIOD. GIRL TIME. BLOOD.

I think the point most are missing on the streak is say the Wings win the cup in 2016. They will have won in 97/98, 02, 08, and 16 (hypothetically). That's 5 Cups in 20 years, and outside of 97/98, none within 4 years of the other all while never missing the playoffs. Prolonged excellence with little to no down period is unheard of in today's sports world. As much as the last five seasons have sucked for us it's only because of how good we have had it.

If rather rebuild on the fly, as they have put it, than tank with the chance that we would be building toward nothing anyway.

I think Chicago has it right. At their core, they're a skilled possession team that can move the puck like no one's business. They are ridiculously deep, talent-wise. BUT, they also have plenty of snarl. And they have great young talent that fits their current system.

Two words that are names. Scotty Bowman.

Three words, which of two are names. Fire Ken Holland.

Tanking a season for a draft pick is even more of a joke.

So tanking a season to get a player that projects to be the best player this team has had at forward since Yzerman with nearly a decade of team control is a joke? I mean I am not sure if you realize this, but this team is becoming the new Calgary Flames. perennial bubble team and that is the biggest joke of all.

(Spoiler alert: I'm going to talk about James Wisniewski a lot in this post. I'm not pining for him, or lamenting any past decisions. I'm just using him as an example to explain why we should pursue Niskanen. If your response to the post is, "Wisniewski suckz!" you missed the point).

I don't want to get into the weeds too much on this issue (that's what this summer is for), but I do think we should sign Matt Niskanen. Sure you'd have to overpay (a little) for him, but we've got the money and he fills a TON of needs. He's an up an coming young, right handed, top four, puck mover, who's very good on the pp. He's also coming into the age were d-men finally hit their stride.

All summer everyone will nitpick and find reasons to not like this move, just like they did back when we were all debating about whether to acquire Wisniewski a couple years ago. They'll say the contract is bad, they'll say it's an overpayment, they'll put a microscope on each and every one of his shortcomings. But at the end of the day, the amount you'll overpay will less than what you'll pay all the scrubs you'll bring in trying to find a cheap alternative.

Think about it this way, using Wisniewski as an example. Let's say he's getting paid a million more than he's worth (he'd be worth every penny of 4.5 million for his pts., aggressiveness, and pp shot alone). Over the life of his contract you overpaid him by six million dollars. How much did we pay Commodore, White, and Colaiacovo total? A good bit more and got worse players. At the very least the 51 extra points and physicality might have been nice this season.

Edited by kipwinger

I hate to pile on here, but BARF.

You honestly think Niskanen and old man Boyle are better than Kronwall is right now? Brodeur and Mrazek??? Is that even serious? You would give us the worst goalie tandem in the league... while we give up the BETTER goalie (for...nothing, apparently) who makes less money?? AND you're giving Brodeur a TWO million dollar raise?

Then you have Bolland on the top line??? He wasn't even good enough as a 3rd liner for the Maple Leafs, and you are going to throw him on the top line? And why is Mantha an extra forward? That would be the absolute worst possible decision for his development... have him play in 0 leagues instead of having him tear up the one league he should (and will) be playing in.

Where is Nyquist? Where are these guys going that you are just giving up... without a single non-FA player coming back in return?

This is the single worst Wings related capgeek roster I've ever seen, and I've seen quite a few (even made a few bad ones myself).

I am not good at CapGeek and so we'd get better players for Abby, Nyq, Howard. Those were trades and I didn't figure out how to get players in return.

IT'S A GAME.

I was goofing around. And yet that team definitely goes further against the Bruins than we just did.

Players are about chemistry, too.

The Leafs are not good. Bolland would be good with Dats and Jagr. He is hard on the puck and can score. He is quicker than Abby.

Brodeur would teach Petr to be a real great goalie.

Blah, it doesn't matter, we are not the GMs. We are just goofing around online.

Ken Holland will ultimately f*** this all up however he pleases.

So tanking a season to get a player that projects to be the best player this team has had at forward since Yzerman with nearly a decade of team control is a joke? I mean I am not sure if you realize this, but this team is becoming the new Calgary Flames. perennial bubble team and that is the biggest joke of all.

Calgary is a team that was getting old all around, with absolutely no youth ready to come in because they either traded them all away or just flat out sucked at drafting. So please continue to tell me how the Wings relate to that. The team is loaded with young talent. They aren't gonna become impact NHL'ers over night. You, along with many, are wanting a knee jerk quick fix to get the team at the top of the league. Quick fixes do not work in the cap era.

I already explained this but I'll do it again because you suck at reading. I am not good at CapGeek and so we'd get better players for Abby, Nyq, Howard. Those were trades and I didn't figure out how to get players in return.

IT'S A GAME.

I was goofing around. And yet that team definitely goes further against the Bruins than we just did.

The Leafs are not good. Bolland would be good with Dats and Jagr. He is hard on the puck and can score. He is quicker than Abby.

You know what? People might take the time to debate things with you like an adult if you didn't keep conducting yourself like a child in these forums.

I already explained this but I'll do it again because you suck at reading. I am not good at CapGeek and so we'd get better players for Abby, Nyq, Howard. Those were trades and I didn't figure out how to get players in return.

IT'S A GAME.

Just an observation...

I think the reason you're finding such antipathy to your ideas is because many of your posts have been matadorish and confrontational.

I assure you, we're all perfectly reasonable people who would gladly hear what you've got to say and respectfully debate with you, provided you would stop being so insulting during the exchange.