• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Andy Pred 48

Next Seasons Needs/Team Future

Rate this topic

It's not a matter of giving up on anyone. It's a matter of changing the dynamic of the team because the same old thing just isn't working. Also, Kesler is 29 and has played in 77 or more games 7 out of 10 years in the league, only dipping below that in the lockout year, his rookie year (when he likely didn't dress all 82 games), and one other time about six years ago. He only missed 5 games this year...with a broken finger...suffered in the Olympics. That's a higher rate of games played per season than Datsyuk or Zetterberg, nevermind Helm. It's not like he's Vincent Lecavalier or anything. He's also under contract for two more years at 5 million dollars...so he's not exactly breaking the bank.

No matter how you cut it, we're a MUCH better team with Niskanen and Kesler rather than Helm, Smith and a 1st. And you're not giving up the world. One (or all) of Sproul, Ouellet, Marchenko, and Backman projects as high or higher than Smith and Sheahan is probably already better than Helm.

Plus, how do you not like the size and speed of a team with Kesler, Sheahan, Jurco, Abby, and Franzen (and in a year or so Mantha). Just written down it's tougher to play against than the team we actually iced for the last five years or so. Everybody always wants to get younger, faster, and harder to play against. Here's how we can do it, and it will only cost Helm, Smith, and a 1st. Hell it may even cost you less (but I'd gladly go this high).

Don't get me wrong, I think Kesler is a great player. I just don't think Smith, Helm and a 1st is the right way to go about getting him. I get we have to give something up to get something back. I just think there are other ways of going about it. Plus, what if Kesler is traded before Niskanen decides where he wants to go?

In the end, this team has needs up front and on the back end. I just don't think trading an improving defender with loads of potential (that he is starting to look like he may live up to) to fix the issues at forward is the right way to go about it when our defense is having problems as well. We need to bolster the blue line, not trade away one of its bright spots and add Niskanen. That will only improve the D so much.

Edited by marcaractac

Am I the only one who thinks trading Helm, Smith and a 1st for Kesler is insane? With his style of play, i'll be shocked if he can play at the level he has (when healthy) for 4 or 5 years. If we're gonna be trading young NHL level players, Kesler is not the idea candidate. Trade for someone entering their prime, or stick with what they have and reassess at the deadline. We're finally rid of Cleary. We don't need another player whose body will start to break down on him in the next few years. Especially at that price.

Edit: Also, with the improvement Smith showed over the course of just one full season, I think it would be crazy to give him up now. Also unlike Kesler, most of Helm's injuries have been freak injuries. We can't give up on him when he is finally healthy and is only now gonna get a healthy summer of training in.

Probably not. Lot of people still value Helm too highly.

Helm is not that much younger, and has a much worse injury history. Their style isn't that much different either. If I had to pick between 4 years of Kesler and 6-7 years of Helm I'd go with Kesler every time.

I'm indifferent on Smith. I think he'll be a good player, but with everyone else we have I don't think losing him would hurt all that much.

The sticking point for me would be the 1st. If it had to be a first and this year I'd want to wait to see who's still available. There's a few kids I think would be more valuable that what Kesler offers over Helm. (Alternately, if we could do it with someone below Helm, I'd part with the first more easily.)

Probably not. Lot of people still value Helm too highly.

Helm is not that much younger, and has a much worse injury history. Their style isn't that much different either. If I had to pick between 4 years of Kesler and 6-7 years of Helm I'd go with Kesler every time.

I'm indifferent on Smith. I think he'll be a good player, but with everyone else we have I don't think losing him would hurt all that much.

The sticking point for me would be the 1st. If it had to be a first and this year I'd want to wait to see who's still available. There's a few kids I think would be more valuable that what Kesler offers over Helm. (Alternately, if we could do it with someone below Helm, I'd part with the first more easily.)

I just think if we were to move Smith, it would have to be for an established dman. Trading a dman to fix our problems up front is just shifting problems around. I agree Helm in a package for Kesler would be fair. Luckily Kesler has wheels to. I do think there is a trade there that works out better for both teams as far as landing Kesler goes.

I keep coming in this thread to type something sarcastic like we need groins made out of mithril and we need our fans to stop being whiny ******* but then I just meh and go eat some ice cream.

Hire Gary Robers to lead the training staff! lol

A lot of peopel are concerned about what happens post Datsyuk and Zetterberg (and rightfully so). I'm bored out of my mind at work and have been doing a lot of thinking about players like Nyquist, and how many say he can never be that kind of player.

When it comes down to it, it was 4 and 5 years for Hank and Dats in the NHL before they started to emerge as the players they have become. In my opinion, if any the youth in the system right now have a great worth ethic and are as dedicated as Hank and Pasha always have been, I have no doubt tone or two of them could emerge to be leaders of this team down the road. Sure there will continue to be growing pains, and sure there are other needs this team has. But this foolishness of the Wings becoming the next Calgary Flames is silly, IMO.

Hank and Pasha became the players they did because they worked their asses off. To to this day they continue to work on things to improve themselves as players. They don't settle for anything. They are also the leaders of the team, and are who the kids are learning from. It's how the Wings have always done things, and will continue to do so.

We don;t need the kids to become the next Datsyuk and Zetterberg. We need the kids to become the first Nyquist's, Jurco's, Tatar's, etc.I by no means think they are all gonna become world class players. But there is a culture within the organization of working hard and earning everything that comes to them. Nothing is handed to anybody. That is likely why Jarnkrok is no longer here.

There will always need to be pieces added along the way. Just as it has been in the past ala Stuart and Rafalski. Even when they won it all in 2008, it was the result of a 3 year process. They didn't mortgage the future to win back then, and they won't do it now. Patience is key, and this team will be fine.

I don't think Holland has done anything for the team. I think it's been other people and Holland getting more credit than he deserves. Bowman was still here with Holland even when we won in 08. Since Bowman left, everything has fallen to s***.

I've suggested as much in the past and been ridiculed. Be ready ...

I've suggested as much in the past and been ridiculed. Be ready ...

I don't think being frustrated with some things Holland have done is wrong. But people are looking at the mistakes he did make and are judging his ability to do his job based solely on that. All while ignoring all the good he has done. News flash: he has still done plenty of good.

I don't think being frustrated with some things Holland have done is wrong. But people are looking at the mistakes he did make and are judging his ability to do his job based solely on that. All while ignoring all the good he has done. News flash: he has still done plenty of good.

Waah! Quit ridiculing me.

Kidding. :)

So.... how about Pavelski? You gotta think changes are coming in SJ. Same results with 2 different coaches. Proof is there that the players just can't get it done.

RH C - would be a nice luxury. Not sure if we should use our assets there though considering we need to upgrade D. I'd be down though.

RH C - would be a nice luxury. Not sure if we should use our assets there though considering we need to upgrade D. I'd be down though.

Go hard for Niskanen, trade for Pavelski. Let the kids keep on developing. That alone would make the Wings loads better. Sure Pavelski doesn't solve the size problem, but holy s*** the guy could score. Gives the Wings options to. IF Weiss doesn't pan out, boom second line center. A legit one to. If Weiss is healthy and plays like he can, put Pavelski on Pasha's Wing and enjoy the show.

Edited by marcaractac

Like I said in the San Jose thread VLASIC please the guy makes our defense d-core instantly better. Pavelski would be a nice choice also but I don't think he will be available

Desperate times call for desperate measures for a team who year after year continues to put together a team that can't get it done. At this point they need to shake things up.

Hell what about Burns? The guy at one point was projected to be a regular Norris contender. He has been playing forward the last few years, but it is not like he suddenly can't defense. I also remember Babs being pissed when SJ landed him, because it is the type of player he wanted. He'd make the team bigger, and depending on other moves Holland makes, he can play D or forward. He did start to struggle with the Wild, but the Wild were also awful back then. Regardless, the guy is an absolute beast. He is also a righty

Edited by marcaractac

IMHO...if the Sharks move a key player, it'll be for a player of comparable value. They're not going to start selling off their core for futures. They're going to try to make a very good roster even better. So, I don't really see how we'd land Burns or Pavelski or Vlasic.

I'm gonna go all Controversial now and say Dustin Byfuglien should be at or near the top of our list.

He's okay, but, his defense is trash and the jets would be trading from a place of strength.

Desperate times call for desperate measures for a team who year after year continues to put together a team that can't get it done. At this point they need to shake things up.

Hell what about Burns? The guy at one point was projected to be a regular Norris contender. He has been playing forward the last few years, but it is not like he suddenly can't defense. I also remember Babs being pissed when SJ landed him, because it is the type of player he wanted. He'd make the team bigger, and depending on other moves Holland makes, he can play D or forward. He did start to struggle with the Wild, but the Wild were also awful back then. Regardless, the guy is an absolute beast. He is also a righty

Ya I'd take burns In a heart beat ... Problem is I don't see them dealing him I see them trying to get rid of Thornton and/or marleau

And as for the person who said to get vlasic there's a 0% chance sj trades him

I know it won't happen but I think if we got Thornton at a good price a line of zetterberg Thornton nyquist would be just madness

On a side note weiss is training with Gary Roberts this summer who's just a machine so there's reason to be optimistic .... That being said if there was a way to get Thornton in a weiss type deal I'd do it

Thorntons been a loser in the playoffs yes but it's just not him ... Something seriously wrong with that's sharks team

Edited by nyqvististhefuture