• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Andy Pred 48

Next Seasons Needs/Team Future

Rate this topic

Pulkkinen is a 5'10, 195 lb. skill player. Not really sure why you'd think he's a "piano puller" (ugh, I hate using that phrase).

He's 5'10 and almost 200 pounds.low center of gravity,

He's decently physical, and they could bring back the cycle with d and z, and roll him out along the circles for his slapper.

And good hands hanging out in front of the net will nice.

You could replace him with sheahean, but i want pav and hank feeding him one timers from obscure impossible angles.

Not to mention the space he'd have to wind up with them.

It could be awesome.

It could fail completely.

But id like to see it.

I also kinda think jurco and pav would be good together.

So as dabura's links show: 1. Kronwall isn't a number 1 or 2, he is a second pair guy at best, and 2. Dekeyser is our best defensive Dman. I think I remember someone posting that on this forum before. Hmmmmm......

alfie was not a major producer this year. he was subpar and is declining very fast. if the choice is mantha or alfie, give me mantha ever time now!

alfie was not a major producer this year. he was subpar and is declining very fast. if the choice is mantha or alfie, give me mantha ever time now!

Alfie was one of our top producers this season.

Mantha needs a season in Grand Rapids. He could probably step onto the roster, but I wouldn't expect him to be a key contributor. Let him learn the pro game without the whole being-a-Red-Wing-and-needing-to-lead-your-team-to-the-Cup thing. While he's doing that, Alfie can give us another productive season. I'd also give Pulkkinen another season on the farm.

So, unless there's a free agent or trade target that we're really high on, I don't see another season from Alfie being a block to progress or what have you.

I think Babcock is willing to let training camp determine who goes to Grand Rapids and who plays in Detroit.

Like he did last year with Nyquist and Tatar instead of Cleary, Sammy, or Bert? Regardless of how you feel about this coaching, it's kinda hard to ignore the fact that Babs leans heavily on his veterans. The chances of a vet losing a job to a rookie in training camp are pretty slim.

I think Babcock is willing to let training camp determine who goes to Grand Rapids and who plays in Detroit.

Agreed. But, realistically, Mantha doesn't make the team out of camp. Babs himself said he's probably not going to make the cut. (Granted, that was kind of an off-hand comment he made, not a serious assessment.) I'm incredibly excited about Mantha, and I'm a big Pulkkinen fan. But we didn't lose to the Bruins because we didn't have Mantha or Pulkkinen.

I mean, sure, give them spots if there's room. I can't argue with that. Just don't expect them to be The Difference in 2014-15. (Great, now I'm sounding like Ken Holland.)

Mantha needs a season in Grand Rapids. He could probably step onto the roster, but I wouldn't expect him to be a key contributor. Let him learn the pro game without the whole being-a-Red-Wing-and-needing-to-lead-your-team-to-the-Cup thing. While he's doing that, Alfie can give us another productive season. I'd also give Pulkkinen another season on the farm.

So, unless there's a free agent or trade target that we're really high on, I don't see another season from Alfie being a block to progress or what have you.

I think there's exceptions to be had every decade or so for guys jumping straight to the NHL. Mantha I think is one of them. If he makes the team out of training camp and doesn't start that great, then the Wings have 9 games before they have to send him back down I believe. For a guy with his goal scoring prowess that is 6'5, I don't see a good reason that we wouldn't want him on the team next season to fill a glaring need we have in our top 6.

Why does anyone expect Alfie to be better? he played what 65 games this year and scored 17 goals. Finished the year looking really slow, wild shot-happens when your legs are gone, and a sore back. Now he will be a year older and you expect better? I have no doubt that Mantha right now could score 17+ goals on the RW's next year. It is the other parts of the game that he needs to develop, not his shooting/goal scoring.

I think there's exceptions to be had every decade or so for guys jumping straight to the NHL. Mantha I think is one of them. If he makes the team out of training camp and doesn't start that great, then the Wings have 9 games before they have to send him back down I believe. For a guy with his goal scoring prowess that is 6'5, I don't see a good reason that we wouldn't want him on the team next season to fill a glaring need we have in our top 6.

Zetterberg-Daysyuk-open

Nyquist-Weiss -Franzen

Tatar-Sheahan -Jurco

Miller-Helm-Abdelkader

Glendening, Andersson, Callahan, and Ferraro on the bubble. If Alfredsson isn't back and they don't sign anyone Helm or Abdelkader will be on one of the first 3 lines, but it opens the possibility of Mantha making it. If anyone signs, there is no room for him.

Like he did last year with Nyquist and Tatar instead of Cleary, Sammy, or Bert? Regardless of how you feel about this coaching, it's kinda hard to ignore the fact that Babs leans heavily on his veterans. The chances of a vet losing a job to a rookie in training camp are pretty slim.

This.... unfortunately. I was so upset with all the "the kids have a chance out of camp" talk followed by having to watch cleary and sammy try to keep up game after game in the beginning of last season.

Don't expect Mantha to make the wings right out of camp but I think we'll see him in the NHL for at least a couple games next season then up full time the following year. perhaps in calder contention *fingers crossed*

Why does anyone expect Alfie to be better? he played what 65 games this year and scored 17 goals. Finished the year looking really slow, wild shot-happens when your legs are gone, and a sore back. Now he will be a year older and you expect better? I have no doubt that Mantha right now could score 17+ goals on the RW's next year. It is the other parts of the game that he needs to develop, not his shooting/goal scoring.

Because maybe the fact that alfy was playing with nobody all year. Early in the year for the brief moment when he was playing with pavel and z he was great and it wasn't just because of pav and z (see the first Colorado game in Colorado this year). I want alfy back and I either want him riding shotgun with pav and z or down on the 4th with helm and Abby. That's just my opinion but I really still do believe the guy can contribute a lot for us

Except all the vets are gone - Bert, Cleary and Sammy ain't coming back. Babs is in Montreal watching Mantha for a reason, he's bigging him up in interviews for a reason (I love guys who are 6 foot 5 who can skate and shoot the puck), and that reason is because they think he can make the roster out of training camp. Unless Holland makes a big trade or a splash in FA there are going to be 1 or 2 spots for Jurco and Mantha to scrap with the likes of Ferraro and Callahan for - of course, if its as the 13th forward, then Jurco and Mantha will be sent down. Weiss isn't a Babcock old-time favourite either, so he'll happily bench him to play Mantha.

Babs has also repeatedly said that Backman will be on the roster next season, he sounds super excited about him.

Edited by Nev

the above 3 will be gone and will have to be replaced along with all the other free agents. They aren't gonna sign 5 or 6 free agents so there will be some Griffins in Detroit next season...maybe not Mantha but there will be some rookies

Except all the vets are gone - Bert, Cleary and Sammy ain't coming back. Babs is in Montreal watching Mantha for a reason, he's bigging him up in interviews for a reason (I love guys who are 6 foot 5 who can skate and shoot the puck), and that reason is because they think he can make the roster out of training camp. Unless Holland makes a big trade or a splash in FA there are going to be 1 or 2 spots for Jurco and Mantha to scrap with the likes of Ferraro and Callahan for - of course, if its as the 13th forward, then Jurco and Mantha will be sent down. Weiss isn't a Babcock old-time favourite either, so he'll happily bench him to play Mantha.

Babs has also repeatedly said that Backman will be on the roster next season, he sounds super excited about him.

Awww yeah. 100% good post.

Personally I don't know if Mantha will make the team out of camp, but I do feel like he'll be given a chance.

There are lot's of people that love Holland and Babs, and many that don't. I try to remain neutral or at least objective, and I really believe that they're both being sincere right now about the youth movement. It may be out of necessity, but that doesn't matter. The end results are all that count.

Edited by rick zombo

Mantha will be on the roster before xmas, I'd give him a spot on Pav and Z's line getting him to learn what it takes from

the best 2 guys he could. They'll make him see what it takes to be the best and that its a 2 way game in Detroit.

The kid is just what this team needs a 6'5" 200lb+ scoring winger. Babs didn't travel all the way to Val'd or for nothing,

and from all accounts he liked what he saw.

Mantha will be on the roster before xmas, I'd give him a spot on Pav and Z's line getting him to learn what it takes from

the best 2 guys he could.

I'd definately play him with Pav. Read lots of comparisons to Brett Hull wrt being able to "hide" in the O zone and then pop open to receive the pass and get a shot away

I appreciate Mantha's skill level, but I think the idea of him playing on the team right now is rushing it a bit. Unlike last season (where they expected veterans to "bridge the gap"), this year is going to be used to gauge where the young wingers (Nyquist, Tatar & Jurco) are at, and if they fit into the future plans of the team. As high on Mantha as Babcock is, he's also been really high on Jurco from some of the stuff I've read lately. My best guess at what the forwards look like going into the season:

Z-Dats-Abs (Hate it or love it, Babcock uses it)
Mule-Weiss-Nyquist (Assuming Weiss is healthy)
Tatar-Sheahan-Jurco
Miller-Helm-Glendening
Andersson, Callahan/Ferraro

This is assuming Weiss is healthy, and Alfie doesn't return. If both guys are in Detroit, I could see Jurco starting the year in Grand Rapids (as there would be no room in the top 9). Otherwise, I see that as his spot to lose. I would honestly be amazed if Mantha cracked that top 9 - not because he isn't talented, but because I think it's a solid group of guys with some balance and he's going to benefit playing some AHL hockey.

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Wheeler
Jurco-Sheahan-Burns
Mantha-Franzen-Pulkkinen
Abdelkader-Helm-Callahan
Glendening

Kronwall-Smith

DeKeyser-Niskanen

Ericsson-Marchenko

Kindl

Edited by Bannedforlife

Watching The Canadiens series against the Bruins makes me even more frustrated. This is a team with smaller forwards than us but are prepared to hit and battle in front of the net. We were a team scared. Not prepared to battle in front of the net or block shots. Seemed like a team not expecting to win. Most teams have four guys around there goalie every time they freeze the puck but we were being outnumbered by bruins. Just a team not willing to pay the price to win. Being near the bottom of the league in blocked shots and hits is not a roster problem, it's a problem with a compete level. Hitting takes effort and can wear you down but it's effective and it's easy to see how we are a lot more successful when our guys are willing to play the body.

I'd like to see how the teams weight training sessions go cause as it seems Helm and Abdelkader seem like the only guys hitting the weights hard. It's all about our young guys learning from the vets and I doubt Alfie, Zetterberg (still great leader) are setting examples in the weight room. That's what were missing is a guy like Chelios. A guy that motivates these guys to stay in the weight room longer. Seems like preparation is very casual compared to our elite years

Watching The Canadiens series against the Bruins makes me even more frustrated. This is a team with smaller forwards than us but are prepared to hit and battle in front of the net. We were a team scared. Not prepared to battle in front of the net or block shots. Seemed like a team not expecting to win. Most teams have four guys around there goalie every time they freeze the puck but we were being outnumbered by bruins. Just a team not willing to pay the price to win. Being near the bottom of the league in blocked shots and hits is not a roster problem, it's a problem with a compete level. Hitting takes effort and can wear you down but it's effective and it's easy to see how we are a lot more successful when our guys are willing to play the body.

I'd like to see how the teams weight training sessions go cause as it seems Helm and Abdelkader seem like the only guys hitting the weights hard. It's all about our young guys learning from the vets and I doubt Alfie, Zetterberg (still great leader) are setting examples in the weight room. That's what were missing is a guy like Chelios. A guy that motivates these guys to stay in the weight room longer. Seems like preparation is very casual compared to our elite years

You know what this Wings in the playoffs reminded me of this year? The Habs in the playoffs last year. Experience is a big thing.