• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Andy Pred 48

Next Seasons Needs/Team Future

Rate this topic

What an insult to vanek. He will NEVER be as bad as Franzen.

They're pretty similar. Big but not especially physical. Streaky. Can look lazy, disinterested. Not great two-way players. You'll get 20+ goals from them in the regular season, guaranteed, but the postseason is anyone's guess. Good net front presence, sometimes. Etc.

FWIW:

Canadiens could sit struggling Vanek for Game 3 [NHL.com]

I believe if we are getting help at the forward position, it will come via trade. No UFA out there worth outbidding someone for.

Agreed. Just a crazy-weak class this summer, even if none of the big names re-sign.

Remember when we traded for Robert Lang? Kyle Calder? Matthieu Schneider? Legwand was more useless than these guys. Holland hasn't landed a good trade for the team in a long tone.

I'd totally forgotten about Schneider. He wasn't so bad.

Guest DeGraa55

They're pretty similar. Big but not especially physical. Streaky. Can look lazy, disinterested. Not great two-way players. You'll get 20+ goals from them in the regular season, guaranteed, but the postseason is anyone's guess. Good net front presence, sometimes. Etc.

FWIW:

Canadiens could sit struggling Vanek for Game 3 [NHL.com]

That's great coaching u play a great scorer with fourth liners then think about benching him? No wonder why they're down 2-0 in the series. That's mike Babcock lineup craziness right there.

Jim leyland did the same with the tigers. Instead of. Looking at stats and facts it's always "gut feelings".

You don't put arguably one of your top three players down on the forth line, in a must win situation, that is just bad coaching. I am a firm believer that you need to put all your players in the best situation to succeed, you put them in a role to play to their strengths. Sure, do something like this in mid-season to make a point, but not going in to game three, down 2-0, it just doesn't make sense.

As for your other comment about having a 34 year old Vanek producing 45-50 points, what makes you think he will decline by 20+ points over the next four years?? Vanek is a really good player, and put on a line with arguably the best two way player in the game, there is no doubt in my mind that he would flourish. And I'm well aware of all the people that complain about Franzen and his 4 mil cap hit, but I'm definitely not one of him. I think buying him out would be a huge mistake, I don't think he should be demoted, I think he should be put in a position to put up points, and that to me is on a second line with Zetterberg and Nyquist... Just my opinion though.

I just want to make it clear again that as much as I would love to have a player like Vanek on Datsyuk's wing, I would not be willing to shell out the kind of money/term he could possibly be seeking. In that case, I would go with plan B and resign Alfredsson, assuming he would take a bit of a discount, maybe 4 mil?...

Vanek is playing on the 4th line because he's been bad. You know, like so many people want Babcock to do to the goat du jour here.

Nah, that spot was already filled by David Legwand, the teams' leader in points.

That's great coaching u play a great scorer with fourth liners then think about benching him? No wonder why they're down 2-0 in the series.

no, that's becaue price is out.... they'll likely get swept without him imo.

Y'know what's crazy? Evander Kane's numbers.The gist of it: he's right where The Other Kane was at his age, and he's done it with second-rate linemates. Maybe he has maturity issues (likely overblown by racist local pundits), but then, so did (does?) The Other Kane.

Point being, I'd give up quite a lot to get Evander Kane if the Jets were to shop him.

I'd like to see Detroit try to move up in the draft to get a top 5 pick since we are in the first half of the draft and not at the end. Edmonton is looking for defensemen and maybe we could put a package together involving Kindl or Smith.

Legwands rights, Kindl, Tootoo, Weiss - let's get it done

Edited by Rivalred

I can't see Holland trading any roster players. Last year was a nightmare with us having to find room for our dead weight. Things will be smoother and make a lot more sense this year.

I'm most excited to see if Smith can continue to grow into an effective defensemen because that would be huge. Ya know, having 3 of 6 defensemen that can do things on the ice. God, our defense was so bad. Still would like a solid veteran to hold down the bottom pairing. It's not good to have 3 defensemen that could potentially be scratched on any given night.

I'd like to see Detroit try to move up in the draft to get a top 5 pick since we are in the first half of the draft and not at the end. Edmonton is looking for defensemen and maybe we could put a package together involving Kindl or Smith.

I'd like to at least get something in the top 10. I'm really high on a bunch of names in the top 20.

Buuuhhhttt..... we're already in the top 20?

:confused:

I'm just saying most of the names on my list will probably be gone by 15.

There only needs to be one there. And if there are 5 or 6 guys they like they'll try to move down again this year.

I mean, yeah, if five or six of my guys will probably be available at 15, I'll trade the pick and move back a few spots. But if most of my guys are projected to go in the first 15 or 20, that could be an issue.

Edited by Dabura

If there are 15 guys you like at least one will be there at 15. Unless you think there's a big drop off between 10 and 15 there's no real reason to trade up.

I never said there are 15! Why would I be worried if there were 15 I really liked?!

My list is eight names. We might have a shot at maybe two or three of them, but the ones I'm most keen on will almost certainly be taken before we'd pick. I like those guys enough that I'd seriously consider trading up.