• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Andy Pred 48

Next Seasons Needs/Team Future

Rate this topic

is this the draft thread or next seasons needs thread? Because no matter who is drafted, he isn't gonna help next season.

if we must mention the draft in this thread, then I say trade to pick for someone who will help us next season.

I was going to say the same thing. This has turned into a draft thread.

I'd feel a lot better playing fast and loose with our 1st round pick if we still had a second. I'd also be willing to part with that 1st if it was all but sure that we'd be signing that Russian kid this offseason. As it stands, we don't have a second nor any promising freebies so I'd hang onto that pick at 15th barring some sort of deal that blows our collective hair back.

Trade rumor that Columbus wants to move R.J. Umberger.

I know we'd all love a superstar on Pav and Z's wing, but since I don't see that happening how does everyone feel about Umberger? He'd basically be like Abby or Bert up there, except he can still score. Three years left on his contract at 4.5 mil. He's 32.

TSN Off-season Gameplan

It's one thing to be optimistic about what those young players might be able to contribute; it's another to realize that there may not be that much longer that the Wings can count on premier production from Datsyuk and Zetterberg, so there's some reason for urgency in order to take advantage over the next couple seasons.
The benefit of having so many young, and cheap, players is that the Wings have the financial flexibility to make some big moves this summer if they so choose. They have the cap room to go after the big fish in free agency, however shallow that pool might be, but also have cap room and prospects to be players on the trade market.

Sometimes I feel like Kenny gets a little defensive - he's tried to grab superstars (Parise, Suter, etc) and it just hasn't worked out. In the same article:

"I think there's this perception that July 1 free agents, there's this hockey store, there's this fantasy hockey league that I'm running, playing in, and that we can go get superstars," GM Ken Holland told Detroit's CBS Affiliate. "Those days are over. That was a bit of the league prior to 2005. Those days are over. This is a league now where you've got to draft, you've got to develop, we've got to make people better."

I agree with this. We've got the cap and roster flexibility to be aggressive this year and I think we should be. My priorities are as follow (I'm trying to be realistic in terms of value and only acquiring guys who are believed to be available):

1. Trade Smith, Helm, and our 1st for Ryan Kesler.

2. Trade Franzen and Andersson for RJ Umberger and a 2nd.

3. Sign Niskanen (5 years, 5.5 million)

4. Sign Fedor Malykhin to a two way contract.

5. Kindl can go too, for a late pick, and replaced with a vet d-man if you felt like finding one (I didn't bother on this).

CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER

CapGeek Armchair GM Roster

FORWARDS

Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($7.500m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m)

R.J. Umberger ($4.600m) / Stephen Weiss ($4.900m) / Gustav Nyquist ($0.950m)

Tomas Tatar ($2.000m) / Riley Sheahan ($1.000m) / Tomas Jurco ($0.709m)

Drew Miller ($1.350m) / Luke Glendening ($0.628m) / Justin Abdelkader ($1.800m)

DEFENSEMEN

Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($4.250m)

Matt Niskanen ($5.500m) / Danny DeKeyser ($2.500m)

Jakub Kindl ($2.400m) / Alexei Marchenko ($0.667m)

Brian Lashoff ($0.725m) /

GOALTENDERS

Jimmy Howard ($5.292m)

Petr Mrazek ($0.595m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(estimations for 2014-15)

SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,174,167; BONUSES: $535,833

CAP SPACE (21-man roster): $6,925,833

Edited by kipwinger

Wow what a great tsn article, man I will miss those well written and well thought out pieces of hockey next season :(

Basically I agree with every - who can't you ? - but one quote makes a bit nervous:

Holland: ""Those days are over. That was a bit of the league prior to 2005. Those days are over. This is a league now where you've got to draft, you've got to develop, we've got to make people better.""

No, they aren't over you just have to choose wiesely on whom to spend a fortune and on whom to pass. You can't build a cup contender solely by drafting or solely with free agent signings the right mix needs to be there. The biggest problem is, the UFA market is declining every damn year AND it's harder to find late round draft-gems ==> tough job for every GM not drafting in the top 10..

Having said that I really hope the Wings aren't going after the big fish this off-season [Thomas Vanek], we need defense first. But if Ken goes into UFA with the mindset of kicking the tires guys like Niskanen, Callahan aren't going to sign here teams need to blow them away money and perspectivewise in order to sign..

Before the cap, there were usually multiple top end free agents available in any given year. If a team didn't get their first choice, their second, third, and even fourth option were usually pretty good. Now players get signed to super long term contracts to try to keep the cap hit down, and they're not hitting the market as frequently. If you miss on Suter, the next best guy should be a second pairing guy. This year the best d-man potentially hitting the market is coming off a career year that just happens to fall in a contract season and very easily could fall back to being a second pairing guy even though he'll get top pair money and term. The rest of the top guys are either old, injury prone, or both.

Kip, I can dig it! I would make those trades and of course my vet D-Man would be Derek Morris. I think though that Mrazek will spend one more season in GR, so we'd have to find a #2 guy (who would stay healthier than Monster.) I would try Nabokov...why not.

I am not so sure Columbus would take Franzine from us, unless we assumed some of that contract, but I do like the idea of trading him..... :lol: no really?

I like what I've seen from St.Louis and I wouldn't mind him for a couple seasons. Rangers need to keep him after what they gave up for him

Should be easy enough for them. He's signed through next season.

Kip, I can dig it! I would make those trades and of course my vet D-Man would be Derek Morris. I think though that Mrazek will spend one more season in GR, so we'd have to find a #2 guy (who would stay healthier than Monster.) I would try Nabokov...why not.

I am not so sure Columbus would take Franzine from us, unless we assumed some of that contract, but I do like the idea of trading him..... :lol: no really?

Nah, Umberger makes more money and has requested a trade...and he's got a no trade clause. He's got them over a barrel. Umberger for Franzen even up would work, but I want that second if I'm moving the first in a separate deal for Kesler. I still think that value for value those trades work. I also don't mind either of your suggested signings (Morris and Nabokov) provided they were short term and Kindl was going out the other way to offset some of the added salary.

I am absolutely for getting rid of Kindl, no matter if we sign a vet or not...I just think that finally he has peaked about as high as a mountain in Florida. He fooled us all the shortened season.

I still think he'd be a decent player, just not on a Babcock team. On a pure offense team, where he could concentrate on moving the puck up ice and skating, he'd be a moderately successful offensive d-man. But give that we've got a hundred such defensive prospects, and given that I'm pretty sure he's scared to death of Babs, I'm all for moving him out and getting what we can for him. Good for our team, and good for his career...win/win.

putting my hatred for Franzen aside, same could be said of him that you just said of Kindl. He needs a change of scenery and I do think he can become a 30 goal scorer again. I think he has also grown stale in this system. That is why I always do my fantasy trade scenario with Vancouver. I think playing with the Sedins could help him.

With Nilsson signing in the KHL, I think the Isles will try to keep Nabby to back-up Halak this year. The other option is Poulin? I think. I don't think they'd feel safe with him as a back-up over Nabby, so I imagine they try to retain him.

I still think he'd be a decent player, just not on a Babcock team. On a pure offense team, where he could concentrate on moving the puck up ice and skating, he'd be a moderately successful offensive d-man. But give that we've got a hundred such defensive prospects, and given that I'm pretty sure he's scared to death of Babs, I'm all for moving him out and getting what we can for him. Good for our team, and good for his career...win/win.

I agree with every thing said here - Kindl just doesn't seem to have a place here anymore. I think he could be a good fit somewhere like Edmonton, Jersey, Carolina, etc. There are a few teams who have room and could use a guy geared toward offense.

There was a thing posted by Khan from Holland saying: he expects lots of trade activity to start at the Draft Prospects Evals coming up........ So we shall see.

As for those that say we have to improve the D, yes we do. But the O wasn't any better. We were 15th or 16th in both last year. A year that we won 39 games! Less than .500! action is needed ASAP!

If there is an upgrade at forward available that makes sense, you definitely do it, but it shouldn't be anywhere close to a priority in the offseason. The main priority needs to be on the back end. The reason we were so average on offense last year is because of two things. First of all, we lost a crazy amount of man games up front to key players (Zetterberg (37), Datsyuk (37), Franzen (28), Nyquist (25) and Weiss (56)) That's a huge chunk of time to 5 of our top forwards. Secondly, our lack of quality puck movers on the back end also effected our offensive numbers. With a healthy group of forwards and an upgrade or two on the back end I think we will be right in the thick of things.

If there is an upgrade at forward available that makes sense, you definitely do it, but it shouldn't be anywhere close to a priority in the offseason. The main priority needs to be on the back end. The reason we were so average on offense last year is because of two things. First of all, we lost a crazy amount of man games up front to key players (Zetterberg (37), Datsyuk (37), Franzen (28), Nyquist (25) and Weiss (56)) That's a huge chunk of time to 5 of our top forwards. Secondly, our lack of quality puck movers on the back end also effected our offensive numbers. With a healthy group of forwards and an upgrade or two on the back end I think we will be right in the thick of things.

I swear if I see one NTC by ken this summer I will lose my freaking mind

There was a thing posted by Khan from Holland saying: he expects lots of trade activity to start at the Draft Prospects Evals coming up........ So we shall see.

As for those that say we have to improve the D, yes we do. But the O wasn't any better. We were 15th or 16th in both last year. A year that we won 39 games! Less than .500! action is needed ASAP!

Fix the D by getting a solid top 4 puck mover that can man the PP and both the offense and defense improve. A lot of O is generated from the back end. Our forwards are fine, they just need the puck.

This team needs two reliable D men right now while some of the prospects develop.

Boyle

Markov

Zidlicky

Pick one. 2 year deal max.

Orpik

Greene

Mitchell

Holland has to try and improve the top six as well. If he has a chance to grab a UFA, he better do it.

Callahan

Michalek

Vrbata

Moulson

Pick one.

Then sign one of these guys to back up Jimmy for one year.

Montoya

Nabokov

Thomas

This team needs two reliable D men right now while some of the prospects develop.

Boyle

Markov

Zidlicky

Orpik

Greene

Mitchell

Holland has to try and improve the top six as well. If he has a chance to grab a UFA, he better do it.

Callahan

Michalek

Vrbata

Moulson

Pick one.

Then sign one of these guys to back up Jimmy for one year.

Montoya

Nabokov

Thomas

None of that really makes us tougher to play against though. Add any (or all) of those guys and Boston still wipes us out in the first round. Add all those guys, plus Sproul, Mantha, Pulkkinen, and Marchenko and Boston STILL wipes us out in the first round.

Ken Holland has a real opportunity to use all this cap space, tradeable assets, and roster space to significantly improve the team WHILE ALSO making it harder to play against. But not if he takes the easy way out and signs more aging vets, club footed third pair d-men, and undersize and/or European forwards.

For example: Vrbata is a better player, but a guy like RJ Umberger is a bigger need. We've got six guys that can do what Vrbata does, we've got nobody that can do what Umberger does. That's what I'm getting at.

None of that really makes us tougher to play against though. Add any (or all) of those guys and Boston still wipes us out in the first round. Add all those guys, plus Sproul, Mantha, Pulkkinen, and Marchenko and Boston STILL wipes us out in the first round.

Ken Holland has a real opportunity to use all this cap space, tradeable assets, and roster space to significantly improve the team WHILE ALSO making it harder to play against. But not if he takes the easy way out and signs more aging vets, club footed third pair d-men, and undersize and/or European forwards.

For example: Vrbata is a better player, but a guy like RJ Umberger is a bigger need. We've got six guys that can do what Vrbata does, we've got nobody that can do what Umberger does. That's what I'm getting at.

Ahhh. Are we still not over the Bruins?

Last I checked they got beat by a skilled team from Montreal.

I'd love the Wings to be "harder" to play against. They'll have to do that through the draft (because top six guys who can score are almost impossible to acquire as UFAs). Holland has obviously started drafting bigger guys recently.

For now, I'll take a team that can:

a) score

b) score on the PP

c) score

Ksmith, yes we had guys hurt. Do you expect that to improve by using the same small, old soft players? it will not. Nyquist btw only played 57 games because he was in the minors, not because of injury. To expect Z, datsyuk, and franzen to play more than 70 games again is folly. Not saying they never will, but to expect it at their ages and history of injuries is bad. They will all continue to play less and produce less as they move through their mid and late 30's. Same is true with Alfie if he returns, which I hope he doesn't but fear he will.

As a team we had 1, repeat ONE 20 goal scorer. Sorry but the D can only help so much in that regard. As a team we were 15th in shots and 16th in goals. We outshot some pretty good offensive teams like the Pens and the Caps. The pens were 16th in shots but 5th in goals. So it not like we didn't have our chances. We did. But taking a bunch of shots from 30+ feet away is not going to lead to a bunch of goals being scored, which is our norm. Just for reference, in 2012/13 with the same group on the BL we were 10th in shots and 20th in goals scored. fact is we are getting our shots, we are not putting the puck into the net. D is not responsible for that.

I can and do expect all 5 of the players I listed to play moderately to significantly more time than they did last season. And yes I am well aware that Nyquist started the season in GR. You can think what you want, I am a believer that Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Franzen and Weiss will all have a great offseason and come in healthy and rejuvenated. I think between the 4 of those guys they will average 70 games or so, 3 of them playing 70+ and the other missing 15-20. I expect a huge year out of Zetterberg (80 points) and I expect Weiss to make a lot of people eat their words with a career year (65 points) and Datsyuk to be the magician he is (75 points). I do expect the same old people to complain about Franzen but he will yet again, earn his contract (55 points)... Call me optimistic...