• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Andy Pred 48

Next Seasons Needs/Team Future

Rate this topic

Sorry, I'm being snippy. My back's been flaring up.

So I was thinking. Why not a UFA (e.g. Niskanen) plus Yandle? What would Yandle cost, realistically? Tatar, Smith, and a prospect? We'd be looking at a lot of $ invested in our blue line, but if we go young up front (which should be the plan anyway), it shouldn't be a problem.

Kronwall Niskanen

DeKeyser Yandle

Ericsson Marchenko

Not perfect, but we'd have puck movement and offense coming from the blue line, which is what we need. We wouldn't be spending the whole game in our end, which is what we need. We'd have a lethal power play, which would've given us a chance against Boston.

If not Yandle, Shattenkirk? Would you be willing to move Nyquist for him?

Kronwall Niskanen

DeKeyser Shattenkirk

Ericsson Marchenko

We have so many tradeable assets. Granted, they're mostly futures, but in a way that's ideal. Why not swing for the fences? Seriously.

Guest DeGraa55

Kesler Datsyuk Franzen

Zetterberg Jumbo Joe Nyquist

Tatar Sheahan Jurco

Abby Helm miller

Who was traded for joe? He won't be for free and the top trade candidates are in the lineup?

Who was traded for joe? He won't be for free and the top trade candidates are in the lineup?

Don't get so hung up on details: it's not even July yet. I'll have it worked out by July 1.

I only know it wasn't Weiss and Andy: they went for Kesler.

Edited by T.Low

Are there any indications that Washington is looking to move him?

Nope! But I think we could make it worth their while, given the depth of our prospect pool and the simple fact that a body or two will need to be moved in the very near future. Kindl, Almqvist, Andersson, Ferraro...

Try this one on for size... This won't happen because too many moving pieces, just want to see some thoughts. Zetterberg and Datsyuk have basically said go big or go home. Well, here you go.

Trades

Trade Jimmy Howard, Jordin Tootoo, Adam Almquist, Landon Ferraro, and our 2014 1st Round Pick to the Toronto Maple Leafs for Phil Kessel & a cond 2015 1st Round Pick.

-- The Maple Leafs need goaltending help, I think Howard needs a change of scenery. He's seemingly complacent in Detroit and that doesn't make for a good goaltender. Toronto has number of glaring needs and seem to be in the middle of deciding between blowing it up and starting over or trying to build around what's already there. In this case, they move an $8M winger for a couple of prospects, a bottom-6 grinder, and a brand new #1 goaltender. If the Red Wings make the Eastern Conference Finals, the Maple Leafs don't have to give up the pick.

Trade Johan Franzen, Stephen Weiss, Jakub Kindl, Tomas Tatar, to the St. Louis Blues for Jay Bouwmeester and the rights to Patrik Berglund.

-- The Blues have a number of quality pieces but there is also a lot of question marks. Berglund has been fairly mystifying in the offensive zone and he is on the chopping block for most Blues fans. Bring him to Detroit, where he can play on the All-Swede line with Zetterberg and Nyquist, and he won't be expected to do so much on offense. The Blues were reportedly in contention for Weiss's services last year, and he presents a better true center than Berglund, who is better on the wing. Franzen and Tatar present the Wings with much better scoring options, which was a problem this year for them. To do so, they have to give up one of their best defensemen in Bouwmeester, though. He is one of the greatest puck-movers on the ice throughout the entire NHL and would do wonders for this team. It'll cost them a 23-year-old top-6 winger, but moves have to be made to improve the team. Plus, I see Mantha as a bigger, better player to do the things we would request from Tatar anyway. Kindl fills in at the bottom pair defensemen they'd need to add after moving Shattenkirk up to the top line.

Sign:

Winger: Sign Thomas Vanek to a 3-year, $27,750,000 contract.

-- Bring him in to play with Datsyuk for the last three years of the contract. I do believe Vanek would give up a longer deal for the security of playing with the top playmaking center in the NHL. Call me a homer, but who wouldn't want to play with Datsyuk?!

Goalie: Sign Ilya Bryzgalov to a 1-year, $3,000,000 contract.

-- Give Ilya a legitimate shot a the #1 goaltending role. His away split last year was incredible, with 2.39 Goals Against Avg and tying J. Quick in Save Percentage (.924). I think he had some poor luck in the post-season, and I do believe he has what it takes to compete against top teams.

Goalie: Sign Chris Johnson to a 1-year, $2,400,000 contract.

-- Quadruple his salary and let him compete for the top job. I have been high on him since last summer (see previous posts) and I imagine he's going to get a lot of offers after his season with the Bruins. Let him compete for the #1 job and may the best man win.

Re-sign (RFAs):

D Danny DeKeyser

C Riley Sheahan

W Mitch Callahan

D Max Nicastro

W Andrej Nestrasil

C Landon Ferarro

Lineups:

Vanek - Datsyuk - Kessel

Berglund - Zetterberg - Nyquist

Jurco - Sheahan - Mantha

Miller - Helm - Abdelkader

Anderson- Glendening

Kronwall - Smith

Bouwmeester - Ouellet

Ericsson - DeKeyser

Bryzgalov

Johnson

(Mrazek)

-----

Hoggan - McIntyre - Pulkkinen
Nestrasil - Janmark - Frk

Grant - Aubry - Parkes
Tvrdon-Lurch-Campbell

Athanasiou

Paetsch - Evans
Ouellet - Sproul

Jensen - Backman

Fournier - Nicastro

Mrazek

McCollum

Paterson

Let Mrazek compete for the NHL job. If he wins by a landslide, leave him in Detroit. If it's borderline, throw him down to Grand Rapids.

Try this one on for size... This won't happen because too many moving pieces, just want to see some thoughts. Zetterberg and Datsyuk have basically said go big or go home. Well, here you go.

Trades

Trade Jimmy Howard, Jordin Tootoo, Adam Almquist, Landon Ferraro, and our 2014 1st Round Pick to the Toronto Maple Leafs for Phil Kessel & a cond 2015 1st Round Pick.

-- The Maple Leafs need goaltending help, I think Howard needs a change of scenery. He's seemingly complacent in Detroit and that doesn't make for a good goaltender. Toronto has number of glaring needs and seem to be in the middle of deciding between blowing it up and starting over or trying to build around what's already there. In this case, they move an $8M winger for a couple of prospects, a bottom-6 grinder, and a brand new #1 goaltender. If the Red Wings make the Eastern Conference Finals, the Maple Leafs don't have to give up the pick.

Trade Johan Franzen, Stephen Weiss, Jakub Kindl, Tomas Tatar, to the St. Louis Blues for Jay Bouwmeester and the rights to Patrik Berglund.

-- The Blues have a number of quality pieces but there is also a lot of question marks. Berglund has been fairly mystifying in the offensive zone and he is on the chopping block for most Blues fans. Bring him to Detroit, where he can play on the All-Swede line with Zetterberg and Nyquist, and he won't be expected to do so much on offense. The Blues were reportedly in contention for Weiss's services last year, and he presents a better true center than Berglund, who is better on the wing. Franzen and Tatar present the Wings with much better scoring options, which was a problem this year for them. To do so, they have to give up one of their best defensemen in Bouwmeester, though. He is one of the greatest puck-movers on the ice throughout the entire NHL and would do wonders for this team. It'll cost them a 23-year-old top-6 winger, but moves have to be made to improve the team. Plus, I see Mantha as a bigger, better player to do the things we would request from Tatar anyway. Kindl fills in at the bottom pair defensemen they'd need to add after moving Shattenkirk up to the top line.

Sign:

Winger: Sign Thomas Vanek to a 3-year, $27,750,000 contract.

-- Bring him in to play with Datsyuk for the last three years of the contract. I do believe Vanek would give up a longer deal for the security of playing with the top playmaking center in the NHL. Call me a homer, but who wouldn't want to play with Datsyuk?!

Goalie: Sign Ilya Bryzgalov to a 1-year, $3,000,000 contract.

-- Give Ilya a legitimate shot a the #1 goaltending role. His away split last year was incredible, with 2.39 Goals Against Avg and tying J. Quick in Save Percentage (.924). I think he had some poor luck in the post-season, and I do believe he has what it takes to compete against top teams.

Goalie: Sign Chris Johnson to a 1-year, $2,400,000 contract.

-- Quadruple his salary and let him compete for the top job. I have been high on him since last summer (see previous posts) and I imagine he's going to get a lot of offers after his season with the Bruins. Let him compete for the #1 job and may the best man win.

Re-sign (RFAs):

D Danny DeKeyser

C Riley Sheahan

W Mitch Callahan

D Max Nicastro

W Andrej Nestrasil

C Landon Ferarro

Lineups:

Vanek - Datsyuk - Kessel

Berglund - Zetterberg - Nyquist

Jurco - Sheahan - Mantha

Miller - Helm - Abdelkader

Anderson- Glendening

Kronwall - Smith

Bouwmeester - Ouellet

Ericsson - DeKeyser

Bryzgalov

Johnson

(Mrazek)

-----

Hoggan - McIntyre - Pulkkinen

Nestrasil - Janmark - Frk

Grant - Aubry - Parkes

Tvrdon-Lurch-Campbell

Athanasiou

Paetsch - Evans

Ouellet - Sproul

Jensen - Backman

Fournier - Nicastro

Mrazek

McCollum

Paterson

Let Mrazek compete for the NHL job. If he wins by a landslide, leave him in Detroit. If it's borderline, throw him down to Grand Rapids.

You had me until Bryz. Look up playoff chokers in the dictionary and there is a pic of Bryz with his arm around Luongo.

Now that I think about it, Pittsburgh will likely re-sign Engelland due to some other names likely departing (Niskanen, Orpik?). Kevan Miller may have taken Adam McQuaid's spot on Boston's blueline. Wouldn't mind seeing us pick him up. Other UFA defenseman that would give us some snarl on the blueline include:

Matt Greene

Willie Mitchell

Clayton Stoner

Mark Fraser

Cory Sarich

Douglas Murray

Andrew Alberts

Sheldon Brookbank

Stoner probably stays in Minnesota. Murray interests me, but he's become so slow. Brookbank can play forward and defense, but he was a scratch for Chicago most of the year. Sarich and Mitchell would be okay, but they're both aging. I want Greene or Fraser, or McQuaid via trade.

I hope Orpik stays far away.

My impression is Engelland is gone. I mean from Pittsburgh. He's going to want a raise, and they're not in a position to give him one, so he probably goes to Edmonton. That's what I've heard from Pens fans.

Not to be grumpy me, but Murray is terrible, and the rest of those guys are largely-inconsequential depth guys. With the kids we have on the farm, I don't see us going for one of them unless it really makes sense. I think my ideal scenario, re: our bottom pairing, is Ericsson gets bumped down to the third pairing - because we land a Realgud top-four defenseman - and he embraces his gritty, stay-at-home, crease-clearing, bare-bones basics side. Put him with Marchenko and that's a Realgud bottom pairing that can shut down, block shots, kill penalties, play heavy in front our net and in our corners - and also move the puck really well and put some points up.

Y'know, I'm not a big fan of Kesler or the idea of trading for him - but if the price is Jurco, Andersson, and our first-round pick in the upcoming draft? I strongly consider pulling that trigger.

I agree but I think they'd want better than Anderson as the third piece but who knows?

I'd be more reluctant to move Jurco than I would to move Nyquist or Tatar. He's big, not afraid to play the body, and is only going to get tougher to play against. Nyquist and Tatar are redundant. I'd prefer to lose one or the other of them rather than a guy like Jurco. Plus, upgrading the package to include one of the more NHL proven guys would likely make it easier for Vancouver to swallow Andersson as the third piece of the trade.

Truth be told though, I'd rather it was Helm, Abby, or Smith than any of the guys mentioned above, but you can't always get what you want eh?

Now that I think about it, Pittsburgh will likely re-sign Engelland due to some other names likely departing (Niskanen, Orpik?). Kevan Miller may have taken Adam McQuaid's spot on Boston's blueline. Wouldn't mind seeing us pick him up. Other UFA defenseman that would give us some snarl on the blueline include:

Matt Greene

Willie Mitchell

Clayton Stoner

Mark Fraser

Cory Sarich

Douglas Murray

Andrew Alberts

Sheldon Brookbank

Stoner probably stays in Minnesota. Murray interests me, but he's become so slow. Brookbank can play forward and defense, but he was a scratch for Chicago most of the year. Sarich and Mitchell would be okay, but they're both aging. I want Greene or Fraser, or McQuaid via trade.

I hope Orpik stays far away.

Greene and Fayne would be great options. Both big and physical, RHed, and UFA's. Either should be a good pair with Smith.

I'd be more reluctant to move Jurco than I would to move Nyquist or Tatar. He's big, not afraid to play the body, and is only going to get tougher to play against. Nyquist and Tatar are redundant. I'd prefer to lose one or the other of them rather than a guy like Jurco. Plus, upgrading the package to include one of the more NHL proven guys would likely make it easier for Vancouver to swallow Andersson as the third piece of the trade.

Truth be told though, I'd rather it was Helm, Abby, or Smith than any of the guys mentioned above, but you can't always get what you want eh?

Yes. Jurco looks to be a more complete player down the road. Tatar is a sniper. There is already a replacement behind him that fits better in Pulkinnan-RHed. To get we will have to give. if we are going to give, give the guy that can be replaced the soonest.

Guest DeGraa55

I actually kind of agree. Except I don't think baby has much value equal to Anderson maybe a little more. But Tatar nyquist or helm I agree.

Smith I don't but I'm his biggest fan so ya....call me biased lol.

Greene and Fayne would be great options. Both big and physical, RHed, and UFA's. Either should be a good pair with Smith.

Yes. Jurco looks to be a more complete player down the road. Tatar is a sniper. There is already a replacement behind him that fits better in Pulkinnan-RHed. To get we will have to give. if we are going to give, give the guy that can be replaced the soonest.

Personally I'd move Nyquist before Tatar, but I clearly agree with your general point. I just like Tatar's attitude better. Guys with that kind of attitude always seem to raise their game to the next level when you need it. Plus, I'm a firm believer that the Wings could use a little more attitude and a little less stoicism in the locker room.

I actually kind of agree. Except I don't think baby has much value equal to Anderson maybe a little more. But Tatar nyquist or helm I agree.

Smith I don't but I'm his biggest fan so ya....call me biased lol.

I know, and I can't stand Smith so I'm equally biased. But we'll leave that one for another time. I've probably beaten that horse to death anyway.

Why Not...

1. Trade Jurco, Andersson, 2014 1st Round Pick (#15) for Ryan Kesler

2. Trade Dekeyser, Tatar, Marchenko, and 2015 1st + 2016 Cond 2nd for Shea Weber

3. Sign Boyle

4. Re-Sign Alfie

ZETTERBERG - DATSYUK - ALFREDSSON

FRANZEN - KESLER - MANTHA

NYQUIST - SHEAHAN - PULKINNEN

ABDELKADER - HELM - MILLER

WEBER - KRONWALL

ERICSSON - BOYLE

KINDL - SMITH

HOWARD

Why Not...

1. Trade Jurco, Andersson, 2014 1st Round Pick (#15) for Ryan Kesler

2. Trade Dekeyser, Tatar, Marchenko, and 2015 1st + 2016 Cond 2nd for Shea Weber

3. Sign Boyle

4. Re-Sign Alfie

ZETTERBERG - DATSYUK - ALFREDSSON

FRANZEN - KESLER - MANTHA

NYQUIST - SHEAHAN - PULKINNEN

ABDELKADER - HELM - MILLER

WEBER - KRONWALL

ERICSSON - BOYLE

KINDL - SMITH

HOWARD

Then lets flip Abs and Helm 1st+2nd+3rd+4th+5th+6th for Malkin and Letang