• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Andy Pred 48

Next Seasons Needs/Team Future

Rate this topic

I honestly don't see why we need Edler if we are serious about developing a LD-RD pairing group.

Just let Marchenko play next year and develop and bring in a stop gap (Boyle) for 2 years until Sproul is ready. Hopefully we can also make a trade happen with Smith/Ericsson in a package for a strong RD coming the other way (Like a Bogosian or Shattenkirk type). Then in 2-3 years you have:

Kronwall - Trade

Dekeyser - Sproul

Smith/E/Ouellet/Backman - Marchenko

As you can see we won't have room for all the LD kids so one could be included in that package for a solid RD player mentioned above.

I haven't posted this in a month or so:

Weiss, Andy, plus a 2nd for Kesler.

Tatar, Almquist, Ferraro, Jensen, and a 2nd, for Jumbo Joe and a 3rd.

Kesler Datsyuk Alfie

Zetterberg Thornton Nyquist

Pulkinen Sheahan Jurco

Abby Helm Miller

Franzen/Glendening

Isn't Vancouver also asking an insane amount for Edler despite him coming off one of his worst seasons?

Well, that was under Gillis, who's insane. Twice he very nearly dealt Edler and ended up asking for more than what was more-or-less originally agreed to - and he was dealing with Holland and Chiarelli, two pretty honorable peope. (I can't really confirm that that's what happened, naturally. But yay narratives!) Holland will bring it up with Benning and see if he's any more willing than his predecessor and if Edler - who would have to approve a trade - might be open to it.

The Wings have been interested in Edler for a long, long time. They had wanted to draft him, have tried to trade for him, and clearly still carry a torch for him. So this goes beyond whatever happened in Vancouver last season (which was, I think, Tortorella. See: the whole team sucking, mercilessly.) This is a guy who was supposed to be on our blue line from the beginning of his NHL career, learning from Lidstrom and Kronwall. So they think very highly of him and believe he'd be a great fit.

I don't think the handedness matters a ton. It's important, but you're not going to not be interested in a guy like Edler because he shoots left. Holland and co. are going to consider every option, righties and lefties, and Edler's way up near the top of the list, because they're familiar with him and - let's be honest - he's a top-end talent. I assume we'd be moving a roster defenseman (Smith) to Vancouver anyway, so it's not adding another lefty, it's upgrading one of our existing ones. That's how I look at it.

Like I've said before, I think the ideal play-out is we add two very good defensemen and still have room for a kid. So, UFA pickup, trade, and a promotion. Something along these lines:

Kronwall Edler

DeKeyser Niskanen

Ericsson Marchenko

That's an excellent top four and a really strong bottom pairing. It's a lot of money to invest in your blue line, but we have cost-controlled kids trickling into the forward corps.

Edited by Dabura

Isn't Vancouver also asking an insane amount for Edler despite him coming off one of his worst seasons?

Well IMO Kenny's offer was insane:

Nyquist, Smith and 1st (Mantha)

You're not getter a top pair D for Ferraro Almquist and a second.

Was that Kenny's prefered package? I was trying to remember. If so, I don't fault Gillis for wanting to squeeze more out of him.

I was just thinking that was a lot. Given that Edler is signed at 5 million for 5 more years, I think I'd rather just sign Niskanen for a similar contract and keep the assets (or use them for another trade). I mean, I like Edler and all, but he's not THAT good.

Oh Christ, rumor has it Marleau is being shopped. He'll be this year's Hull...er...Robitaille...er...Modano...er...Alfredsson. Ugh.

Marleau at $6.6M? No thank you....NOT EVER! If he were a UFA I could see Holland targeting him, but not a trade and not for that salary...

I happen to think that trade deal for Edler was OVERPAYMENT. Nyquist, Smith and Mantha? No way, and if that was an actual offer from Holland, no wonder that GM got fired...Holland should be fired by offering that! I know it takes something to get something, but that was/is too much.

Marleau at $6.6M? No thank you....NOT EVER! If he were a UFA I could see Holland targeting him, but not a trade and not for that salary...

I happen to think that trade deal for Edler was OVERPAYMENT. Nyquist, Smith and Mantha? No way, and if that was an actual offer from Holland, no wonder that GM got fired...Holland should be fired by offering that! I know it takes something to get something, but that was/is too much.

It wasn't Smith, Nyquist, and Mantha. That offer happened before the draft and before Nyquist's big season. It was Smith, Nyquist (prospect), and the 1st that became Mantha.

Still an overpayment given how that turned out for us, but Holland hasn't completely lost his mind lol.

Oh! I see! Ok at the time I guess it was underpayment, but today, no way. I would be fine with the Smith, Helm and this years 1st for Kesler...but then again, gambling with the 1st I guess, may be another diamond...its a gamble for sure!

How about we throw Franzen in there instead of the 1st? :ninja: We got to figure out what to do with Almqvist. Maybe a draft pick if not package....also we have Ferraro and Callahan to deal with. So many out of exemptions, Sheahan will be here. Should we deal AA and one of the FWDS for draft picks and just pick up a UFA? There is a log jam in the bottom 6 again and the two yoots will make it even more crowded...I don't like any of our UFA's except Legwand, but I don't think he will come here again if he will delegated to the 4th line. We have too many bottom 6 guys already, Helm, Andersson, Glendening, Miller and Abby. That doesn't include the solid 3rd line of Jurco - Sheahan - Tatar.... So we have 5 guys to split time on the 4th...you cant sit Helm and Babcock won't sit Glendening or Abby too much, so does that mean Miller and Andy are the odd guys to sit most the season? Now we really need to do something with Ferraro and Callahan...

Bottom line is something has to give...if we are to not lose our kids and want to get better, trades need to happen. Without making a blockbuster, guys that I think need a change of scenery are: Lashoff, Kindl, Andersson, Almqvist obviously wants the NHL or Sweden, so he needs to be traded, Ferraro and Callahan are toughies. Do we trade them for peanuts, lose them for nothing or keep them in Detroit? I still say we need a Derek Morris/Willie Mitchell type defenseman for a couple of seasons to bridge the gap between our guys and Sproul/Ouellet/Marchenko being fulltimers here. I figure Mitchell will most likely want to re-up with LA, but LA may be looking to go in a different direction. Morris needs out of Phoenix IMO, but I though the same thing of Doan and he decided to keep the faith there...

Oh! I see! Ok at the time I guess it was underpayment, but today, no way. I would be fine with the Smith, Helm and this years 1st for Kesler...but then again, gambling with the 1st I guess, may be another diamond...its a gamble for sure!

The funny thing - as you're pointing out - is that the same proposal at this point in time would probably be an overpayment. What a difference a year makes, right?

Kenny's definitely going to have to make some trades. We have a wealth of promising young players and prospects, a real testament to this organization's drafting and developing. My belief is that this is what's really going to decide Kenny's legacy. If he can turn our system's depth into a dozen quality roster players, two big trade acquisitions, and a boatload of draft picks, he's King of the GMs.

Edited by Dabura

Guest DeGraa55

After the scout meetings and pre free agency team planning meetings: Holland wouldn't commit to Bert, Cleary, and Quincey being gone. According to Ted Kulfan's twitter.

Bert and cleary will be our top six acquisition. Between the two of them one can have a career year in the one leg combined between the two.

@tkulfan: #redwings organizational meetings wrapped up...Jonas Gustavsson "still in play" says Holland as back up to Jimmy Howard.

@tkulfan: Holland wouldn't commit to Bertuzzi, Cleary, Quincey being gone. But at the same time, not lot of roster spots open.

@tkulfan: Mikael Samuelsson definitely headed back to Sweden. As for Alfredsson, Holland hasn't talked to him and doesn't expect a decision until...

Edited by BottleOfSmoke